How Many Kms Per Year Do You Drive?

corkscrew

How many kilometers per year do you drive in Thailand? What percent is city driving and what percent is in the country? Between my wife and I we drive only about 6000km per year (between two cars)....most of it is in Bangkok.

I drive about 12,000k a year, all for social reasons rather than work.

I drive, either dodging the kamikasi motor cyclists in Pattaya, to whome direction of travel is optional even on one way roads, white lane lines are something put down to get rid of spare paint,red traffic lights mean only six more motors can cross, and pedestrian crossings are viewed as a direct challenge to their manhood.

Or driving up country to Uthaithani to visit the wifes family, where you need to look out for trucks loaded with sugar cane, in the cropping season, and various farm vehicles doing 10 k an hour with all of the family and a couple of livestock on board.

The driving up country is much more restful to be sure.

:o

Hi Corkscrew...I'm from Ft. Lauderdale! :D I grew up in the suburbs, but we did live for a short time near the downtown/beach areas. Nice place, but boy is it expensive to live there :o

Even though the real estate market is in a dive in Fort Lauderdale it is still ridiculous compared to BKK.

about 60,000km a year in the Hilux between upcountry and Bangkok and about 20,000km a year in the Jazz in Bangkok. The Jazz is so much fun to drive city or country but the Hilux goes places and does things the Jazz only dreams about.

60k a year! Are you a truck driver per chance?

That's a daily 250km commute (20 working days a month).

And 20k in Bangkok on top of that?

A truck driver ? Now there's a career I hadn't considered. I dare say my driving skills and experience are a little too advanced to qualify me for driving heavy vehicles in Thailand, having completed close on 1 million kilometres over 25 years without ever having an accident resulting in injury (with the exception of a kangaroo I hit once, I still feel bad about it).

I travel twice a week from Bangkok to Khao Hin Sorn (260kms round trip) then at least 5 times a week from my home in Khao Hin Sorn to my place of work near Kabin Buri (round trip 110kms). Then there is the running around I do while at work which gives me another 100-150kms per week. Average 1,220km per week or 60K per year. 50-100k a day around Bangkok, trips upcountry to visit the wife's family and other holidays during the year account for the other 20K.

I actually enjoy driving immensely, even in Thailand, but it's hard to keep a cool head sometimes. I find myself thinking "forgive them, for they know not what they do" quite often. At other times I'm thinking "you're bloody lucky I'm not a Thai driver or you'd be dead".

Edited by sibeymai

60k a year! Are you a truck driver per chance?

That's a daily 250km commute (20 working days a month).

And 20k in Bangkok on top of that?

A truck driver ? Now there's a career I hadn't considered. I dare say my driving skills and experience are a little too advanced to qualify me for driving heavy vehicles in Thailand, having completed close on 1 million kilometres over 25 years without ever having an accident resulting in injury (with the exception of a kangaroo I hit once, I still feel bad about it).

I travel twice a week from Bangkok to Khao Hin Sorn (260kms round trip) then at least 5 times a week from my home in Khao Hin Sorn to my place of work near Kabin Buri (round trip 110kms). Then there is the running around I do while at work which gives me another 100-150kms per week. Average 1,220km per week or 60K per year. 50-100k a day around Bangkok, trips upcountry to visit the wife's family and other holidays during the year account for the other 20K.

I actually enjoy driving immensely, even in Thailand, but it's hard to keep a cool head sometimes. I find myself thinking "forgive them, for they know not what they do" quite often.

i just sold a sportrider i bought from new 7 years old had done 42000k ,have had a fortuner for 20 months driven 15000k ,my bike whick is 4 years old has 7500k on it ,people dont believe it till they ride in/on them they go like new ,sold the sportrider to a dealer ,he said it was the best second hand car he's ever bought .

How many kilometers per year do you drive in Thailand? What percent is city driving and what percent is in the country? Between my wife and I we drive only about 6000km per year (between two cars)....most of it is in Bangkok.

Half that. 3,000km per year. 1 motorbike. All country.

So.. you basically spend more time talking about your car than driving it? :o