Babies And Swimming - What Age ? Where ?

torrenova

Just wondering what ages people introduce their kids to water. We have swimming pools but I am worried about the chemicals etc. I thought about a small inflatable pool at home, we just about have enough room on the front lawn but I think the water would be too cold.

Any ideas ?

The advice I got from my sister who was a parent before me was to get my daughter in the water ASAP. Her doctor in the UK told her, so I followed suit. Apparently infants are extremely comfortable being in the water as it reminds them of their mother's womb. Worked fine for my daughter but, before using a swimming pool I would just bathe her and gently pour a little water over her head letting it run down her face. After a week or so of that we progressed to a paddling pool in the garden with only a couple of inches of water. If your child gets a rash etc from chemicals in pool then obviously stop.

I was told by two friends who are free diving instructors ( breath hold diving ) that I could just through my daughter into the pool before 3 months old as infants have a natural breath hold reflex from being in the mother's womb, could never quite bring myself to do that!!!

Have fun in the water with your child, it's a great experience.

Just want to confirm last post. Babies can go in water from birth. As far as I am concerned the sooner the baby gets used to being in water the better. My daughter is now 20 months old and loves swimming. She is comfortable in water and doesn't mind being underwater. Of course once she is the bathtub it's a different story. But don't worry to much about chemicals, they are of safe level. As far as you said about putting a baby pool in the garden. This is what I used to do for my daughter. It sat in the driveway and I just boiled a sauspan of water or 2 and it warms the water up so it's not so cold.

Have fun

yeah, we started ours at 6 months (it would have been earler had it not been for the rainy season). She's now 19 months and loves the water, so much so, she'll basically run and jump in the pool if we don't hold her back!

If you are a bit hesitant, Bangkok Dolphins for a term or so is a good place for parents to become familar with handling their kids in the water. You get to see what they are capable of, so then (for instance) dunking them properly isn't an issue.

I was a trained swimmer for well over 10 years at a high level but I didn't start until perhaps 3 or 4 years old. I want to take her in the water but its just a little too cold at the moment, the water that is. Perhaps one of those home pools with some hot water is the way to go. Good idea. Then in a couple of months when it gets warmer, in the big pool.

I was a trained swimmer for well over 10 years at a high level but I didn't start until perhaps 3 or 4 years old. I want to take her in the water but its just a little too cold at the moment, the water that is. Perhaps one of those home pools with some hot water is the way to go. Good idea. Then in a couple of months when it gets warmer, in the big pool.

The BKK dolphins pool was heated to 28 degrees year round.

We had our son in the pool 10 days after birth. We waited until 3 months until putting his head under though. Besides the horror looks from other Thai swimmers, everything was great. My son is now nearly 2 years old and can swim about 10 m on his own. I agree with the other posters - start as early as possible.

Edited by earlofwindermere

I was taught by an instructor how to swim when I was 2 1/2. This was a necessity growing up in Florida around canals and lakes. I learned VERY quickly because I hated the water; didn't like baths either! By the time I was 4 or 5, I grew to love swimming and did it for many years.

Just wondering what ages people introduce their kids to water. We have swimming pools but I am worried about the chemicals etc. I thought about a small inflatable pool at home, we just about have enough room on the front lawn but I think the water would be too cold.

Any ideas ?

It depends on the infant, it is possible that some infants might have a fear of water. But from my experience most young infants have no fear. I've heard the theory that they have no fear of water due to the time they spent in the womb. I'm not sure of that but it's interesting.

I would start by carrying the infant into the pool. Make sure the water is warm, so the temperature won't cause problems with the infant, and if possible don't use chemicals in your pool. I don't think it will really do any harm, but why take the chance.

From my experience, most infants enjoy the feeling of being mostly weightless in the water. Just play with them like you would if you held them.

My younger brother was swimming soon after he learned to walk. My mother was the oldest of 7 children, so she help raise her brothers and sisters. My younger brother was her 3rd child. She took me and my sister to the local pool. My brother kept trying to run into the pool (well toddle into the pool anyhow). My mom kept running after my brother to keep him out of the pool. Finally she decided to let him go into the water, since she was right there, If he had a problem she would just grab him. She thought that if he fell down or swallowed some water, it might teach him a lesson. All that happened was that when my brother got to the point where the water was high up on his chest, he just dropped down and went into a dog-paddle swimming style. So my mother just let him swim around, since he seemed to know how without anyone teaching him. My brother was less than 2 years old, he had already been into the pool with my mother for well over a year then.

• 4 months later...
Excuse me, where is Bangkok Dolphin located?

thanks!

http://www.bangkokdolphins.com/ - near the Raquet Club, Sukhumvit 49/9 - they now have their own indoor heated pool for toddler classes, but they also have lessons around the city - mine go to a place off Bangna-Trat Road Km 7 (?), and both started with Dolphins at about 6 months old and are now 3 & 5 - they love it and they are very confident in water. It's also inexpensive. Gordon and his team do a great job!

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as possible, definitely before 3 month. Babies have a reflex - they hold their breeze when some air is blown into their face. So - you blow - s/he holds her breath - you put some water on his/her face. In two weeks you may put his/her head underwater completely.

CAUTION:

- beware and take care of water in the ears

I would go for an inflatable swimming pool first, chemicals are of a safe level for an adult, not a newborn (I had been bathing my newborn in drinking water for 3 months).

CAUTION:

- beware of wind

Fill up the pool in the morning, enjoy the swim at 4 pm. You can control the temperature with one kettle of boiling water.

Any ideas ?

My daughter has never been un-introduced to swimming water. Now, at 4, she has no fear, jumps head first into pools. Wing floats attached to her arms. The pool at home (when the water is not too cold) and Siam Water Parkpark + school that has swimming every Tuesday, with professional care and instructions.

It's a nonsense that kids can really learn to swim before 5-6 yrs old. They can hardly learn to float in a still deep water.

Pattaya Water Park (at age of 2) was the place where lifeguard scrambled to rescue her when she jumped into the canal, of course, with inflated wings on her shoulders.

Breaking the fear of water is the most one can do. Saw people from Sweden, Switzerland, Germany...whose kids were shitting themselves and kicking and screaming to get out. Not that they were sissies but just no daily availability of warm water to play in their countries. Also, what many Thais follow - "only farang ba" can let their kids enjoy the water so much.

It's a nonsense that kids can really learn to swim before 5-6 yrs old. They can hardly learn to float in a still deep water.

It's nonsense to think that kids can't be taught to swim until they are 5 or 6. There are LOTS of kids aged 3,4 and 5 that can swim the whole length of the 25 metre swimming pool at my school - including diving in from the deep end. Not every kid of course, and the 3 years olds mostly do doggie paddle but by five, thanks to regular lessons, there are some children who swim better than fish would.

My son first went in the pool at 10 weeks but I have not made the effort, unfortunately, to teach him to swim properly yet - he has a 3 year old friend (same age as him) who can dive in the deep end and swim confidently for about 10-15 metres. He started lessons two weeks ago so hopefully he'll be able to swim himself quite soon.

It's nonsense to think that kids can't be taught to swim until they are 5 or 6. There are LOTS of kids aged 3,4 and 5 that can swim the whole length of the 25 metre swimming pool at my school - including diving in from the deep end. Not every kid of course, and the 3 years olds mostly do doggie paddle but by five, thanks to regular lessons, there are some children who swim better than fish would.

I still have to see one sigle kid under 5 who can swim.

At my daughter's school they have every Tuesday at the pool (their own pool) with professionals teaching the kids, my daughter is almost every day at our house pool, has no fear of jumping head on (with float wings) into the deep end - but still that is not swimming.

At Siam Park probably tens of thousands kids were in water before my eyes over last few years and not one single kid could swim.

Being a surfer myself, I remember my friends in Australia, some pros, were struggling to keep their cool while delaying any attempt to teach their kids to surf before they can swim - nobody tried anything before kids' age of 5, and it was like common knowledge.

I was swimming in local comps at 5 & was in the water at -6months. Dunno what they teach at pools in thailand but in the Uk there are swimming classes for toddlers. What exactly are you defining as swimming? cause like sylvafern, doggy paddle & backstroke (both I was able to do at 3) are still swimming. Not too strong but swimming none the less & never with water wings.

I have a photo of me swimming out with my dad in cornwall, him on his surf board when I was 5 & it was strong current but dad was there, so all ok. I think kids should go at their own pace but it isn't really acceptable to call someones opinion & experiences as nonesense as there are many of us who disprove your facts.

My daughter, now 6 months old, has been in the pool since the age of 4 months, always in the hands of an adult with 100% hands on. bChildren can learn to swim, with flotation aids, as soon as they can talk.

Coming from a country where swimming is almost mandatory and there is a prevalence of backyard pools in homes it is mandatory that a child should learn to swim as early as possible. If they don;t know how by the time they get to school it is taught in school.

Remembering my own experience at "swim school" at about age 5 or 6 and with at the time a fear of water, after having been taught how to swim the teacher's response when it came to diving was to line me up on the side of the pool and give me a kick. It worked because there was no rational basis, even in a 5 year old's mind, to be scared of water after I had been taught how to swim. Probably not the best of teaching methods, but in the 60s it was acceptable. No namby-pamby was allowed.

To this day I'm a stronger swimmer than most and love the water.

EDIT: in response to Boo's question above as to what defines "swimming" I think the appropriate definition is "not drowning".

Edited by sibeymai

showed that whether kids 'started lessons at 2, 3 or 4 years of age,' they learned to swim well at 'approximately the same mean age of 5 1/2 years.well

I've highlighted the main word here, all that quote says is that they can swim but get better at a certain age. So still exactly what me & others have been saying then, small kids can swim :o.

I still have to see one sigle kid under 5 who can swim.

At my daughter's school they have every Tuesday at the pool (their own pool) with professionals teaching the kids, my daughter is almost every day at our house pool, has no fear of jumping head on (with float wings) into the deep end - but still that is not swimming.

At Siam Park probably tens of thousands kids were in water before my eyes over last few years and not one single kid could swim.

Being a surfer myself, I remember my friends in Australia, some pros, were struggling to keep their cool while delaying any attempt to teach their kids to surf before they can swim - nobody tried anything before kids' age of 5, and it was like common knowledge.

Sorry but you are wrong to say that children under 5 or 6 can learn to swim and I seriously doubt that my 4 year old daughter is the only child under 5 that can actually swim (without floaties a few months before her 4th bday) from one end of the pool to the other, and that includes diving down into the deep end of the pool to collect coins or whatever we throw in for her to collect from the bottom, as well as trying to see who can hold their breath longest on the bottom of the pool.

As I've previously mentioned, my daughter has been in the pool since 4 months of age - and barring the cooler months when she thinks the water is "freezing" - she is in pool every day, and for the past month (if she doesn't fall asleep before the sun sets) will get her father to go into the pool (again) for some night swimming.

If any parent is serious about their child knowing how to swim at an early age, I'm telling you it can be done BUT it does take time (daily if possible) - but ultimately it is definitely worth it.

Also, to even suggest that no one even bother or that its a waste of time to try teaching their child to swim before a certain age is irresponsible. Too many parents don't give their children credit by thinking they are too young to do certain things, so don't bother teaching them certain things. This mentality is probably the reason why so many children under the age of 5 (particularly in Aus) drown. The least a parent should do is teach their child as early as possible is water confidence - by making sure their child is comfortable with having their head under water, and the doing basic dog paddle (kicking and using they arms and legs to move in the water) so they could at least make their way to the surface and pool edge IF they ever fell into a pool. Basic water confidence would definitely make a big difference in how a child reacts if they accidently fall into a pool, etc in that they would be less likely to panic.

For us it was extremely important that Angel to know the basics before we moved into our new home that had an unfenced swimming pool, and the near daily practice before we moved definitely paid off when she was about 2 and a half, and she was accidently knocked into the deep end of the swimming pool by one of our dogs (she quickly learnt to stay on the garden side when our dogs are running around). Angel was actually helping her father get ready to clean the pool and it was while he was in the pool house getting all the equipment that he heard the splash that he quickly turned around to see that she had already swam up to top from the bottom with her hand coming up out of the pool to grab the edge. She did not panic and was not upset by the incident - hel_l, as soon as she was out of the pool she even told our dog off by shaking her finger while saying "Zoe was a bad girl for pushing her into the pool" :o

So parents with children who want their children to know how to swim as early as possible, my advice is the earlier you start the better!

BTW think_too_mut - if you don't believe me and want proof, I'd gladly post photos or a video of my four year old who can swim a length of the pool :D

My son was swimming by age 4. Age 6 and he could swim 50 meters. Now 15 he is a ranked competitive swimmer.

Several posters stories would try to make me believe that my child, everyday in a pool, is, somewhat retarded.

One even said "LOTS" of young kids can swim. Mine is not one of them although what we let her do makes Thais say "only farang-baa can let his child do this or that".

I'll stick with my surfing buddies and leave the thing for a year or more, until the time is right.

Until then, the pool and jumping and playing in water is all what she wants. No fear of depth, no fear of water. That's enough for now.

no one has said anythign about your child or called her names, I think you are being far too sensitive but you have claimed that kids cannot swim before 5 years old & many posters have said that this isn't true. It is a difference of opinion & experience only, in your experience your child cannot swim but you are not a world expert on this & if other parents say their kids can swim before this age then it isn't up to you to say they are wrong.

no one has said anythign about your child or called her names, I think you are being far too sensitive but you have claimed that kids cannot swim before 5 years old & many posters have said that this isn't true. It is a difference of opinion & experience only, in your experience your child cannot swim but you are not a world expert on this & if other parents say their kids can swim before this age then it isn't up to you to say they are wrong.

I still believe in what I said.

Amazing how this topic gets attention immediately, sometimes it has no visitors or posters for days or even weeks.

A gang up? Somebody with ties with the mods got hurt?

Paranoid much!!!

Sadly you seem unable to accept that other people have opinion different to yours based on their own expereinces. Try to read the words written not what you perceive to be written.

Paranoid much!!!

Sadly you seem unable to accept that other people have opinion different to yours based on their own expereinces. Try to read the words written not what you perceive to be written.

Back to people who don't care about "my longer than yours" and their concerns and wishes about baby swimming.

OK with that?