Why Do Western People Use The Word "farang"?

ade100

Why do Western people use the word 'Farang'?

Here's another one. How come causasians in Thailand always use 'Western people' and 'Thai people' instead of 'Westerners' and 'Thais'?

For some reason, I really dislike "the Thai people" or "the Thai". Almost like another species.

"Westerner" is, in essence, about as meaningful as "farang" . Also useful, though, I suppose, or it would not endure.

Edited by sylviex

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farang derives from Farangset, meaning French.... the first western culture to visit Thailand.

It seems to be the modern generic term for foreigner and can be irritating when used relentlessly, grow a thicker skin and use being a Farang to your advantage.

Embrace the culture, use and discard what you want. Don't try to reinvent the West or you'll soon be looking for another country to settle!

Paul.

Ah yes, another post in the "Don't get so upset about it" genre.

As another gentle reminder, this thread is not about political correctness or racial sensitivities, it is about living etymology (why words get adopted and come to be used in languages and how their meanings evolve over time). The title of the thread is "Why do Western People use the Word "Farang"?"

But moving the discussion on a little, there is one Thai word that I have adopted and often use when speaking English in Thailand: "Nam jai". Why? Because it has a very precise meaning in Thai, is integral to Thai culture and no direct translation exists in English. (It could be translated as "generosity" or "backhander" or "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" but none seem to totally encapsulate the meaning of "Nam Jai")

If thou are a member of Thai Whinging (sorry Thai Visa) thou shalt moan and complain and whinge about everything Thai

Happy to have you on board, member no 34,456. :o

I am practicing. I have not been here long enough to graduate to Thai whinging, so I whinge abaout whingers instead :D

But moving the discussion on a little, there is one Thai word that I have adopted and often use when speaking English in Thailand: "Nam jai". Why? Because it has a very precise meaning in Thai, is integral to Thai culture and no direct translation exists in English. (It could be translated as "generosity" or "backhander" or "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" but none seem to totally encapsulate the meaning of "Nam Jai")

Probably another that you use is 'greng jai' for similar reasons, no direct translation.

The one Thai word that Westerners seem to use all the time, and crops up all over this forum, is "Farang". But isn't it almost meaningless and vaguely insulting to the countries and cultures we come from?

Farang derives from Farangset, meaning French.... the first western culture to visit Thailand.

It seems to be the modern generic term for foreigner and can be irritating when used relentlessly, grow a thicker skin and use being a Farang to your advantage.

Embrace the culture, use and discard what you want. Don't try to reinvent the West or you'll soon be looking for another country to settle!

Paul.

Sorry, but i believe you are quite wrong. The first westerners to come to Thailand weren't the French at all, but the Portuguese.

It is very doubtful that the word Farang as its origins means French. It probably derives from the Persian word Farangi.

Have a look at Wikipedia for more details:

Origins of the word 'Farang'

And yes it would be like anyone from one of the "oriental" countries referring to themselves as a "chinky" or a "slant eyes"

It took us 311 posts to get there but we got there.

Your so wrong that i cant be bothered to even start.

If you learn to speak and understand the language at a reasonable level (took me around 240 hours in class and alot of self study) you will have a far better understanding of these cultural differences.

Im confused with your comment. my spoken Thai is very good but I fail to see why that would make a difference to someone from China living in the UK refering to himself as a "Chinky" or a Slant ?

Ok let me try to explain myself a bit better. An uneducated Brit from a small village may not know anything about Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, etc. They have probably heard of China and Japan but not much else. It is also likely they would be unable to distinguish between someone from say Thailand or China. I have heard people use the term "Chink" or "yellow man" to mean anyone who is vaguely "oriental" looking. So a Thai in the UK could easily be reffered to by one of these terms. The question is would a Thai in the UK adopt these words and refer to themselves as a "chink" or a "yellow man"? I doubt it. I suspect they would have more self respect, more respect for their country, culture and origins. But aren't we doing the equivalent when we adopt the word "farang" and refer to ourselves as "farang"?

The words "chink" and "yellow man" are obviously derogatory terms in english whilst the word "farang" is not in thai. Is it that difficult to understand? They would call themselves Asians in english, do you get it? What is the problem with you? Is it such a difficult thing to understand? Just ask 1000 thais and see if the word on its own is offensive or not and if you are still not satisfied with the way how other people use their own language then just carry on to look for trouble. You can say that "sawadee khup" actually means "fuxk you" in thai and "khop khun khup' means "fuxk me". WHATEVER YOU LIKE!

Edited by meemiathai

Ade100, you related to Humpty-Dumpty by any chance?

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' "Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't -- till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"

"But `glory' doesn't mean `a nice knock-down argument,'" Alice objected.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again.

"They've a temper, some of them -- particularly verbs, they're the proudest -- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs -- however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

Probably another that you use is 'greng jai' for similar reasons, no direct translation.

Yes exactly. Sometimes 'greng jai' seems close to "being considerate" and other times more like "expressing gratitude". It may have other meanings that I haven't figured out yet.

OK. bottom line again:

Farang is to Asian as White Devil is to Gook.

Farang is just a Thai way to generally talk about all things/people of European descent.

However, I do understand why many people feel that the word farang is a derogatory word because it really is quite often used in a deregatory way, and it silly to deny it. sigh: People just won't listen. It is not at all often used in a derogatory way! Unless the moment you step out into the streets you start looking for trouble with every thai you meet!

I used the word before this discussion. I didn't think much about it. Now that I have, I will use it even more.

(I just like the sound of my voice when it says BULGARIAN and Nepalese tailors don't seem to know what to make of it. I take any pleasure I can. Also shows you can ask someone's nationality but that doesn't mean they won't lie.)

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't -- till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean different things."

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again.

"They've a temper, some of them -- particularly verbs, they're the proudest -- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs -- however, I can manage the whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

:o

So, we agree there are a few Thai terms we use in English in Thailand. I understand the point that "farang" would not work as a loan word in English-speaking countries, except in a very particular context.

Are there any Thai loan words in English ? Words of Thai origin ?

Perhaps some related to food now and - possibly, amongst certain older communities - "entertainment" ?

I just like the sound of my voice when it says BULGARIAN

and it rhymes with ... :o !

The best way to determine nationality is to ask, but when those Nepalese tailors try to guess and ask I always say Bulgarian.

Are you Bulgarian then?

What nationality is that farang with the stupid posts?

same as you!

Well that is going to be interesting or tricky. I hold a British passport and have the right for a Chinese passport. My father was Canadian when he died. I speak Cantonese as my mother tongue but here in HK and thailand people think I am a caucasian.

So if you ask me what my nationality is, I really don't know it myself.

And if England played soccer with China, I want both to lose. Well but of course I've got Scottish blood. Who am I?

And yes it would be like anyone from one of the "oriental" countries referring to themselves as a "chinky" or a "slant eyes"

It took us 311 posts to get there but we got there.

Your so wrong that i cant be bothered to even start.

If you learn to speak and understand the language at a reasonable level (took me around 240 hours in class and alot of self study) you will have a far better understanding of these cultural differences.

Im confused with your comment. my spoken Thai is very good but I fail to see why that would make a difference to someone from China living in the UK refering to himself as a "Chinky" or a Slant ?

Then you understand very well that the word 'Farang' (one meaning anyway) means 'Caucasian' and that the word's 'Chinky' and 'Slant' in English do not mean 'Asian'.

Quite simple realy.

He has probably been learning Khmer for years and thought it was Thai. Don't worry Chloe. :o

Meemiathia,
Much like the Chinese, who call themselves "people from the middle kingdom" and refer to everyone else as "outsiders". I am sure other cultures do the same.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I beg your pardon?

jung guo = middle country = China

jung guo ren = middle country person = Chinese

wai guo ren = outside country person = foreigner (often becomes "lao wai" = old,venerable outsider, though I am afraid is quite often used with opposite intent)

OK I see what you mean. But it has been called like that since 5000 yrs. Do you expect at that time they realise that there was America, Africa or Australia... :o

wai guo ren = outside country person = foreigner (often becomes "lao wai" = old,venerable outsider, though I am afraid is quite often used with opposite intent)
Are you people also suspicious of secret agents trying to kill you? Edited by meemiathai

When you guys come to an agreement on the use of the word farang by farangs, will you be kind and let the rest of us know the result.

In the vent of it being banned, you may add it to this list:

1. Thou shalt not wear flip flops in the public

2. Thou shalt not wear a yellow t-shirt

3. Thou shalt not consort with a member of the opposite sex, unless she has white skin and has a university degree (preferably a princess)

4. Thou shalt not hold hands in public with your loved one

5. Thou shalt not wear graven symbols or anything else of Thai origin on thy body

6. If thou are a member of Thai Whinging (sorry Thai Visa) thou shalt moan and complain and whinge about everything Thai

7. Thou shalt agree that Thai women are all gold diggers. Double true if she comes from Isaan, unless she has white skin and a university degree and/ or has royal blood.

8. Thou shalt not take thy Isaan girlfriend or wife shopping at the Emporium

:o

:D

There is a thread next door talking about you missionaries.

You know I remember reading Alice Through the Looking Glass at an impressionable age. There could have been an impact.

But in my defence I have always sited examples of the ways in which the word is used to mean other things:

"I Love Farang" means "I speak English"

"Farang Food" I have heard used to mean "non-Thai food"

Oh and one more example: At the motor scooter shop the other day I enquired if I could own the scooter. He said "Farang NO". presumably he means "non-Thais can't own bikes", not "people with white skin can't own bikes"

Just making observations of the word's usage.

AS the Thai..

Farang means Guava one kind of thai local fruit white flesh..WE also use the word to call the white only.

For African American, Japanses, Chinese and India ppl, we use different words.

I dont know that actually, you like us to call you like that or not but it's seem to me that all my foreigner friends like to call themselve Farang when they are talking with me. :o

AS the Thai..

Farang means Guava one kind of thai local fruit white flesh..WE also use the word to call the white only.

For African American, Japanses, Chinese and India ppl, we use different words.

I dont know that actually, you like us to call you like that or not but it's seem to me that all my foreigner friends like to call themselve Farang when they are talking with me. :o

You must be surprised eh, SongtaiJ. That there are in fact people who will find the word "farang" offensive. I must say I was when I first read it here. Never knew so before reading TV.

I will try to explain.

But in my defence I have always sited examples of the ways in which the word is used to mean other things:

I am not sure where you get that from. But assuming it is true, that will be because the average working class thais really do not have the slightest idea of how many different "farang" countries and "farang" languages there are in the world so they just group the whole as one group assuming English is the majority of it. Tell you what , my wife doesn not even know the difference between England and America.

That is because the person who said it simply did not know what those food were. Simple. If he saw a chinese cooking it, he will call it chinese food. If he saw an indian cooking it, he will call it indian food. If he saw a japanese cooking it, he will call it japanese food.

Oh and one more example: At the motor scooter shop the other day I enquired if I could own the scooter. He said "Farang NO". presumably he means "non-Thais can't own bikes", not "people with white skin can't own bikes"

That is because he sees a farang asking and he answers "farang(meaning you) no(cannot)".

Are you happy with the answers? :o

I just hate if Thai people know me and my name already and then use the term farang when talking about me. I introduce myself to people and so they can use my name, very unpolite in my opinion. BTW my name isn´t difficult

I feel very happy when people know me good enough and feel easy enough to call me "hey you motherfvcker" knowing that I am not going to be offended.

One thing I would like to add is, it is a different way of expression in thai than in some farang languages. They are very different cultures and the way they use it does not mean to offend. It is like one of our posters here 'The dude' who likes to post things like The dude this and the dude that which refers to himself.

I am trying my best and if it still doesn't help....

Edited by meemiathai

I will try to explain.

I am not sure where you get that from. But assuming it is true, that will be because the average working class thais really do not have the slightest idea of how many different "farang" countries and "farang" languages there are in the world so they just group the whole as one group assuming English is the majority of it. Tell you what , my wife doesn not even know the difference between England and America.

That is because the person who said it simply did not know what those food were. Simple. If he saw a chinese cooking it, he will call it chinese food. If he saw an indian cooking it, he will call it indian food. If he saw a japanese cooking it, he will call it japanese food.

That is because he sees a farang asking and he answers "farang(meaning you) no(cannot)".

Well a little bit happier yes. And I think you are starting to see my point. But just back to the motor scooter guy. When he says:

"Farang, no" he means "foreigners, no" right? He means that unless you hold a Thai passport or ID card you cannot be the official owner. So this is not a race issue, it is a nationality issue. And presumably if I were to be a Caucasian with a Thai passport (and a few do exist). he would have to say "Yes". So I don't think I am being stupid if I say that sometimes "farang" is used to mean "foreigner" or "anyone who is not Thai".

Edited by ade100

I will try to explain.

Well a little bit happier yes. And I think you are starting to see my point. But just back to the motor scooter guy. When he says:

"Farang, no" he means "foreigners, no" right? He means that unless you hold a Thai passport or ID card you cannot be the official owner. So this is not a race issue, it is a nationality issue. And presumably if I were to be a Caucasian with a Thai passport (and a few do exist). he would have to say "Yes". So I don't think I am being stupid if I say that sometimes "farang" is used to mean "foreigner" or "anyone who is not Thai".

First of all, I am not sure what your point is.

Then to answer your question about the scooter guy. He was just making a generalisation that farangs(assuming there will be very little who has a thai passport) cannot own. So by saying that you are farang, you will then simply be a foreigner as well, so therefore you can't. And again, NO, it is never used to mean simply "anyone who is not Thai'. You can be Thai but a farang. It depends on your looks or sometimes jokingly used to call someone even if one looks 100% thai but have grown up in farangland and behaves like a farang.

Does that feel a bit better? :D

Edited by meemiathai

I will try to explain.

First of all, I am not sure what your point is.

Then to answer your question about the scooter guy. He was just making a generalisation that farangs(assuming there will be very little who has a thai passport) cannot own. So by saying that you are farang, you will then simply be a foreigner as well, so therefore you can't. And again, NO, it is never used to mean simply "anyone who is not Thai'. You can be Thai but a farang. It depends on your looks or sometimes jokingly used to call someone even if one looks 100% thai but have grown up in farangland and behaves like a farang.

Does that feel a bit better? :D

Yes it feels pretty good because you introduce yet another meaning of the word "farang". So you are saying that it can be used (although jokingly) to signify behaviour or mind-set. Someone who is of Thai Nationality and Thai ethnic origins can be referred to as "farang" based on behaviour or way of thinking. What sort of behaviour? The plot thickens...

I just hate if Thai people know me and my name already and then use the term farang when talking about me. I introduce myself to people and so they can use my name, very unpolite in my opinion. BTW my name isn´t difficult

OK, one more thing to add just before I forget.

Let's say "farang Jim" is in the room where there are 6,7 others. If one asks "Does Jim want more rice?" to another, he might probably be asking "Jim? Jim arai? Nam Jim?" whilst if one just say "Does farang want more rice?" Bingo! Everyone knows.

I would say if there is "farang Jim", "farang John" and farang Tom" sitting together. You are much less likely to hear the word farang.

Yes ade100, I am. :o

You can look thai or are really a thai but still be jokingly called farang.

What sort of behaviour? The behaviour which makes them think is the behaviour of farangs. It doesn't necessarily has to really be farang behaviour. It is about what they think is. You can act like an Indian, African, or Japanese but if they are not sure and think that is the behaviour of farangs, then they might jokingly call you a farang. That is if they assume that you have come back from farangland and adopted the behaviours of farangs. Or else behaving differently for no apparent reason might lead them to believe that you are just mentally ill. :D

Scooter situation:

You are a foreigner (genus) of the 'farang' subspecies. Hence he used the name of the subspecies to refer to you instead of the larger group.

He probably assumed you would not understand 'chaao dtaang chaad' or 'chaao dtaang pratheed' and he may not have been familiar with the English word 'foreigner' or thinks it is difficult to pronounce.

Here is a phenomenon that I have noticed in several Asian countries that I have lived in -- Hong Kong, Japan, and now Thailand. In all these countries, I have come across a fair number of Westerners (Caucasians mainly) who have lived in these countries for quite a number of years (say more than 10), maybe have a local woman as a wife, and only speak just a smattering of words of the local language; such words as hello, thank you, check please, you're crazy or nuts, good luck, and the word for foreigner (farang, gaijin, gwailo, etc.)

And because many of these foreigners don't want others to wonder why after so many years, they still can't really speak the language, they tend to inject into their speech when talking to other foreigners, visitors, and even locals, as many and as often as possible, the few local words that they do know. Like the Thais, this action may have something to do with "face", that they give the impression that they are, whether rightly or not, well imbued with the local culture and customs.

Consequently, in Thailand, you will hear from the Westerners, frequent use of terms like farang, mai pen rai, sawasdee, krap khun kop (or ka), jai yen yen, chok dee, and the few other terms that represent the limit of their knowledge of the local language. The same comment can be made about foreigners using Japanese and Cantonese.

I'm guessing that this observation will result in a barrage of vituperative comments from farangs who have made the effort to learn the local language, or from others who contend that their living in the local community doesn't require them to learn the local language, and that they get along just fine in English or some other Western language.

Whatever, this is just my observation, as one possible reason why you often hear foreigners using the term farang. It's what and possibly all they know of the Thai language.

Edited by tangoll

Here is a phenomenon that I have noticed in several Asian countries that I have lived in -- Hong Kong, Japan, and now Thailand. In all these countries, I have come across a fair number of Westerners (Caucasians mainly) who have lived in these countries for quite a number of years (say more than 10), maybe have a local woman as a wife, and only speak just a smattering of words of the local language; such words as hello, thank you, check please, you're crazy or nuts, good luck, and the word for foreigner (farang, gaijin, gwailo, etc.)

And because many of these foreigners don't want others to wonder why after so many years, they still can't really speak the language, they tend to inject into their speech when talking to other foreigners, visitors, and even locals, as many and as often as possible, the few local words that they do know. Like the Thais, this action may have something to do with "face", that they give the impression that they are, whether rightly or not, well imbued with the local culture and customs.

Consequently, in Thailand, you will hear from the Westerners, frequent use of terms like farang, mai pen rai, sawasdee, krap khun kop (or ka), jai yen yen, chok dee, and the few other terms that represent the limit of their knowledge of the local language. The same comment can be made about foreigners using Japanese and Cantonese.

I'm guessing that this observation will result in a barrage of vituperative comments from farangs who have made the effort to learn the local language, or from others who contend that their living in the local community doesn't require them to learn the local language, and that they get along just fine in English or some other Western language.

Whatever, this is just my observation, as one possible reason why you often hear foreigners using the term farang. It's what and possibly all they know of the Thai language.

Good point. This was actually one of the possibilities I had in mind when I initially posed the question. I just didn't dare state it so explicitly for fear of bitter retribution :-)