The Pattaya Right Away

1stbase

So a baht bus is trying to merge into Pattaya Beach Road during a traffic jam and is not going anywhere. There is a meter gap between him and the vehicle infront of him who is making the merge. I decide to walk infront of the baht bus to cross the street and right at the end of passing him the driver "intentionally" nabs me with the front of the bus, not enough to cause any pain but I have never been hit by a moving vehicle before so it's a big deal of a small deal. Now if this happened in Toronto I would throw my fist through the drivers windshield, pick up a broken piece of glass, and stab the driver in the eye all in self defence, and still get half a million from the taxi's insurance company. However, I looked through the bus's passenger window which was closed and tinted and was about to say something or knock but I remembered reading some of the threads here about the thais and thailand in general and decided to remain cool and walk away. I think I even made a mistake by even showing my anger, I should have just walked away like nothing happened.

The bus driver nabbed by knee, and stopped, done in spite because i was walking infront of him but he had no where to go anyways. What can I do in this situation? What would you have done?

So a baht bus is trying to merge into Pattaya Beach Road during a traffic jam and is not going anywhere. There is a meter gap between him and the vehicle infront of him who is making the merge. I decide to walk infront of the baht bus to cross the street and right at the end of passing him the driver "intentionally" nabs me with the front of the bus, not enough to cause any pain but I have never been hit by a moving vehicle before so it's a big deal of a small deal. Now if this happened in Toronto I would throw my fist through the drivers windshield, pick up a broken piece of glass, and stab the driver in the eye all in self defence, and still get half a million from the taxi's insurance company. However, I looked through the bus's passenger window which was closed and tinted and was about to say something or knock but I remembered reading some of the threads here about the thais and thailand in general and decided to remain cool and walk away. I think I even made a mistake by even showing my anger, I should have just walked away like nothing happened.

The bus driver nabbed by knee, and stopped, done in spite because i was walking infront of him but he had no where to go anyways. What can I do in this situation? What would you have done?

That's why many of us live in Thailand to get away from yobs like you

He bumped your leg causing no pain and you are ready to stab the guy in the eye

Dreadful attitude - go home and take your attitude with you

I had a similar situation happen to me in front of Big C.

A baht bus driver looked at me and yelled "Taxi"

I waved my head "no" and looked the other way for oncoming traffic so I could cross the street.

The Baht Bus driver intentionally backed into my shoulder, like you, causing little pain.

He got me because I was looking the other way.

But also like you, a cooler head prevailed and I did nothing about it and later forgot about it until I just read your post now.

Edited by MisterFingers

He didn't actually do that. And I doubt he would.

It's time for you to go back to grade one and learn how to read again.

Living in Pattaya lesson #1.

Baht bus drivers are the lowest form of quasi intelligent life on Earth.

This is a sweeping generalisation and there are lots of good BB drivers out there but remember this rule and you will survive the early encounters until you get the experience you will need to survive in Pattaya.

btw please remember that many of them carry a length of 3/4" rebar in the cab to deal with violent farangs.

Living in Pattaya lesson #2

Also remember that any violent encounter with any Thai man is likely to attract some unwelcome attention followed by a visit to the monkey house and the generous deployment of your cash.

Chill out and take the knocks, life hurts.

I have no problem with my reading

I am reading in to his attitude not his action

It's like the "you spilt my beer" "here's the glass in your face" attitude

It takes little to turn a dreadful attitude into a dreadful action

It could have been a complete accident - all drivers here, when trying to merge into a major traffic stream, edge forward inch-by-inch. The fact that a farang (or even a Thai) is crossing in front doesn't make any difference. It's still a quick nudge forward, gaining virtually nothing, but feeling that you've done something positive.

Why on earth there is no give-and-take - each driver on the main road allowing in one driver from the side road - I do not understand. It is just some form of primitive machismo that affects most men behind the wheel.

There are no accidents like that. It was intended, cmon all you Patti Hearsts. It wa a songtaew driver.

If it was an accident, he was driving poorly so it was still his fault. Everyone is in such a dam_n hurry but no one really goes anywhere here.

In the USA it would have been a big issue and everyone would know it was NOT th epedestrainas fault!

As luumak said, it's not just spilled milk, at least not in a 1st world country. It may seem like that after living here for a while but I am still new and am used to the western ways where hitting a pedestrian is a big deal. I know 100% it was intentional, he used his vehicle to send me a message. I guess thats how they do it down here. I thought i was used to this place but I guess I have a bit more to learn / experience. Oh well, I think I played the situation cool. Life goes on.

Edited by 1stbase

As luumak said, it's not just spilled milk, at least not in a 1st world country. It may seem like that after living here for a while but I am still new and am used to the western ways where hitting a pedestrian is a big deal. I know 100% it was intentional, he used his vehicle to send me a message. I guess thats how they do it down here. I thought i was used to this place but I guess I have a bit more to learn / experience. Oh well, I think I played the situation cool. Life goes on.

You seem to have missed bits of lesson #1. It's called "jai yen-yen". It's in the same lesson as "mai pen rai".

I do hope for your sake that luumak's first name isn't 'farang'....

Then how come I consider your attitude to be by far the worst?

The guy was deliberately bumped by an A-hole in a truck.

I believe this because the exact same thing happened to me.

He, like myself, did not retaliate.

Then he vented on this forum with something absurd that no one would ever do.

Then you come on your high horse telling people to go home.

You're the one with the piss poor attitude.

Maybe you should think about going home.

See post #17

"Ahhhh Grasshopper. One day it will all be clear to you."

I am home mate :o and after 20 years here I have learnt to control my urges especially when it comes to Baht bus/taxi drivers

Just to have "the thought" of causing gbh for a simple traffic accident deliberate or not in my mind puts him in the class of moron - are you unhappy cause you would do the same?

I am home mate :o and after 20 years here I have learnt to control my urges especially when it comes to Baht bus/taxi drivers

Just to have "the thought" of causing gbh for a simple traffic accident deliberate or not in my mind puts him in the class of moron - are you unhappy cause you would do the same?

I did do the same as him. I did nothing. I didn't retaliate.

Maybe this thread was going too fast for you. Take another look.

Lots of people have violent thoughts, especially after a message like this.

I put this in the category of pointing a gun, weilding a knife, or making threats.

You're trying to say that someone is a moron just because he has a violent thought when he's justifiably angry.

Congratulations. You're the only guy in the world who's not a moron.

Like I said. I was also bumped by a baht bus driver after saying "no" to his taxi proposal.

He backed right up on the curb where I was standing and bumped me in the shoulder with the handrail at the back.

This was deliberate. He went from parked to backing into my shoulder when my head was turned the other way looking for oncoming traffic.

I did nothing as angry as I felt. Same with the other guy. He did nothing.

You're the only one doing something here. Telling people to go home and namecalling like a child.

Edited by MisterFingers

I am home mate :D and after 20 years here I have learnt to control my urges especially when it comes to Baht bus/taxi drivers

I did do the same as him. I did nothing. I didn't retaliate.

Maybe this thread was going too fast for you. Take another look.

Lots of people have violent thoughts, especially after a message like this.

I put this in the category of pointing a gun, weilding a knife, or making threats.

You're trying to say that someone is a moron just because he has a violent thought when he's justifiably angry.

Congratulations. You're the only guy in the world who's not a moron.

Like I said. I was also bumped by a baht bus driver after saying "no" to his taxi proposal.

He backed right up on the curb where I was standing and bumped me in the shoulder with the handrail at the back.

This was deliberate. He went from parked to backing into my shoulder when my head was turned the other way looking for oncoming traffic.

I did nothing as angry as I felt. Same with the other guy. He did nothing.

You're the only one doing something here. Telling people to go home and namecalling like a child.

:o

• 4 weeks later...

Not that it matters anymore but this morning I was riding a sports bike on pattaya beach road and traffic was stopped and there was a 2 meter gap between a stopped baht bus on the left lane and a baht bus stopped on the right in traffic so in neutral i slowly walk my heavy bike between them and the baht bus on the right see's me so hits the gas a bit pushing my leg just enough for it not to hurt. I get the point now, i looked at him and he raised his hand in a sorry motion and i raised mine too smiling back knowing that its obviously my fault for taking his spot and he was just teaching me a lesson. I am really lucky that I haven't had any bad encounters yet in this fuc_ked up country. The other day I drove by a thai guy beating the shit out of some girl on an open road and trying to stab her with a smashed beer bottle well she helplessly tries to block him. 1 more month to go :o

It seems like every other week some pedestrian gets killed or sustains serious injury on beach road

or second road. It's dangerous attempting to cross. Far worse than the baht buses are the kamikaze

motorbikes which insist on weaving in and out at speed even though they can't clearly see 10m in front

of themselves and yes, some of them are farangs. They really do need some solutions to this. :o