Bolton Wanderers FC.

fletchsmile

First time in years I couldn't go to a live Bolton match over Xmas. Two away games, while I was there. :o .

Still looking for the first away win in the Premier League this season.

An important win vs Derby last night tho'. We're slowly climbing out of danger, but will need a few more points on the board before March, when we play Liverpool, ManU, Man City and Arsenal all in the same month.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised as anyone that Sheff U beat Bolton last night.

A nice surprise at that , as The Blades form recently has beed dire.

I listened to the game on the internet radio and it was n,t exactly thrilling.

If only the win could have been a year earlier and in the Prem,,then Sheffield wouldn,t have been relegated.

Oh well......have to say well done United

I am surprised as anyone that Sheff U beat Bolton last night.

A nice surprise at that , as The Blades form recently has beed dire.

I listened to the game on the internet radio and it was n,t exactly thrilling.

If only the win could have been a year earlier and in the Prem,,then Sheffield wouldn,t have been relegated.

Oh well......have to say well done United

I guess if you were surprised, you're not a Bolton fan :o . I liked the following quotes tho':

"Unexpectedly with 15 minutes remaining, Brian Robson threw on 3 forwards in the space of a minute..."

- Shows an interesting desire to score

"Despite the inevitable onslought, the Blades managed to hold out, even with Bolton keeper Al Habsi spending the last four minutes of time added on camped in the visitors' penalty box..!"

- I know we're short of forwards, but the reserve goal keeper...?

I think if it was a Premiership game there'd have been a different team out. I'm not sure about the SheffU team, but for Bolton there were only 3 first team regulars playing, and all of them were substituted during the match. :D

To be honest an exit from the FA Cup is probably welcome. We need strong showings in the Premiership, are still in Europe, and will lose a few players to the African Nation's cup. While bigger teams may have the squads to cope with these and still play in the domestic cups, Bolton doesn't.

BTW Would be happy to see the Blades go up again...so good luck.

Edited by fletchsmile

Has Anelka gone yet ??

Only a matter of time, and I wouldn't be suprised if wew don't see an Anelka sulk coming up pretty quick, if he isn't gone by the weekend.

I think Chelsea wanted him for Saturday. They made an offer for GBP 12mio, but Bolton rejected it. I think he's worth more than that. Particularly when the buyers are Chelsea and they are desperate to boost their team with real Bolton quality. Would have liked to see him stay tho'. He was Bolton's most expensive ever signing at 8mio if I recall, and a bargain at that price. More than double any other disclosed fee Bolton have ever paid.

Edited by fletchsmile

Has Anelka gone yet ??

Only a matter of time, and I wouldn't be suprised if wew don't see an Anelka sulk coming up pretty quick, if he isn't gone by the weekend.

I think Chelsea wanted him for Saturday. They made an offer for GBP 12mio, but Bolton rejected it. I think he's worth more than that. Particularly when the buyers are Chelsea and they are desperate to boost their team with real Bolton quality. Would have liked to see him stay tho'. He was Bolton's most expensive ever signing at 8mio if I recall, and a bargain at that price. More than double any other disclosed fee Bolton have ever paid.

He's just gone for (apparently) £15m.. No idea how Bolton will replace him...

Has Anelka gone yet ??

He's just gone for (apparently) £15m.. No idea how Bolton will replace him...

Good value, considering Tottenham Woodenspoons paid 16 million for Darren Bent :o .

• 2 weeks later...

So far no signs that the 15mio for Anelka will be put to good use. Probably there'll be a couple of mediocre buys who are overpriced now for once we actually have a little money. The rest will probably end up in the owner's pockets. Think Eddie Davies is looking to take money out of the club when he can, and would jump at a sale opportunity.

I think Sam's shrewdness in the transfer market will be missed. Anelka probably cost more than the rest put together, and they still sold at a handsome profit. I can't see bids for people like Gary Cahill at 4mio taking us anywhere.

On the positive side: we got cable TV installed at the weekend. :o I have to admit tho' without much in the way of football at the weekend, programming looked thin. We've rarely seen a movie at the cinema in the last year or so since our daughter was born, but we seemed to have seen most of the movies on HBO, Cinemax etc. Not a good sign.

Next step: new TV before Bolton beat ManU again :D

So Bolton got their man in Cahill, after a revised bid. Fee isn't disclosed, but must be above the 4mio offered last time. I guess some shoring up was needed at the back, after departures at the start of the season, but I'd still like to see a striker in the list. I'm not sure the 15mio from Anelka is being put to best use, and people know we have a little money in the pot, so I feel we're overpaying.

Still IF it keeps us in the Premier League...

Bolton Wanderers Transfers in 2008:

Players In:

Tamir Cohen (Maccabi Netanya - £50,000) - Midfielder

Gretar Rafn Steinsson (AZ Alkmaar - £3.5million) - Defender

Matthew Taylor (Portsmouth - undisclosed) - Midfielder

Gary Cahill (Aston Villa - £4 million+++) - Defender

Players Out:

Leslie Thompson (Torquay - on loan)

Gary Speed (Sheffield Utd - on loan)

Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea - £15million)

Gerald Cid (OGC Nice - undisclosed)

• 2 weeks later...

Who says football is all about money... :o

http://www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ticke...1235443,00.html

Wanderers Turn Down TV Deal for Madrid Game

Posted on: Fri 08 Feb 2008

BOLTON WANDERERS Football Club today revealed that they have turned down a television deal with a domestic broadcaster for their forthcoming UEFA Cup match against Atletico Madrid at

the Reebok Stadium on Thursday 14 February 2008 (kick off 8:00pm).

The Reebok Stadium will be the only venue to watch the game live in the United Kingdom, and the Club is urging spectators to take advantage of the fantastic ticket offer for what is expected to be the Stadium's highest gate of the season. A Club Spokesperson said: "The Club has decided to not to broadcast the game live to the domestic market as it would have meant the kick off time being brought forward much

earlier. "We wanted to ensure as many supporters as possible could make the game and we therefore decided that the game should kick off at 8:00pm."

With the Club slashing its admission prices for the game, the spokesperson admitted that sales have been very brisk for the fixture and the Reebok Stadium is on course to record its highest attendance figure of the season. "We've had a fantastic response to the ticket pricing, with over 15,000 tickets being sold with a week to go. There is every prospect of the Reebok Stadium attracting its biggest crowd of the season," added the spokesperson. The introduction of the singing section in the Debt Matters North Stand, which will be operated on a trial basis for this fixture, has also been deemed a success by the Club. "We've had many season ticket holders exchanging their regular seats for a place in the singing section, which is an

initiative created at the request of supporters. Tickets for this area are being sold more quickly than in other areas of the Stadium.

Wanderers' captain, Kevin Nolan, is looking forward to the prospect of playing in front of a packed Reebok Stadium.The midfielder said: "When we play in front of a packed and passionate Reebok Stadium, we always seem to step up a gear. It's a great gesture by the Club to reduce the pricing and a fantastic idea by our fans to have a singing section. It will give the lads a tremendous lift when they run out on to the

pitch for what will be one of the most historic nights in the Club's recent history."

Adult season ticket holders pay only £5.00 for their seat, plus just £5.00 for one other additional seat when purchase together. Concessions (supporters aged between 16 and 21 and supporters over the age of 65) pay just £4.00. All children, under the age of 16, who are accompanied with a full paying adult, will only need to pay £1.00*. Please note: to benefit from the season ticket holder discount, tickets must be purchased before 5:30pm on Wednesday 13 February. Non-season ticket holders will pay £10 (adult), £8

(concessions) and £1 for an accompanied child under the age of 16*.

Tickets are currently on open sale.During the open sale period online sales will only be available for season ticket holders purchasing one ticket per season ticket at the discounted rate. Those season ticket holders wishing to take advantage of our additional ticket offers can do so only by phoning or calling in person at the Ticket and Membership Office.

Tickets can be purchased over the phone (0871 871 2932), by fax (0871 871 8183) or in person at the Reebok Stadium or online at www.bwfc.co.uk. Season Ticket holders wishing to take advantage of the additional discounted ticket can do so only in person or over the phone Tickets are also available from the BWFC outlet at the JD store, the Market Place, Bolton town centre. * Only one £1 ticket per adult. Any additional children will be charged at the full concession rate. Unaccompanied children will be charged at the concession rate.Supporters who spend over £30.00 on merchandise at the Club Superstore or BWFC @ JD (Market Place) will get a free ticket for this match, subject to availability, or if they spend over £50.00 they can get two free tickets!

Corporate hospitality is still available for this game with packages available from £40.00. Please contact the Corporate Sales Department on 01204 673761 for more information.

Edited by fletchsmile

• 2 weeks later...
Whis going to keep this thread open now that Fletch has been sent to the Sinbin? :o

Has he? Why?

As we aren't allowed to discuss, I've sent you a PM, as to why I think he may or may not have.

Shame really, he's a top bloke.

• 3 years later...

I've just realised that (apart from today's posts) this thread is over 3 years old! Whilst I never knew Fletch in the old days, a 3 match suspension is usual, but 3 years (about the time that Joey Barton deserves).

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king

Yours

F

(Fletchsmile the White :) )

Edited by fletchsmile

Congratulations - top of the premiership! I haven't seen the game, did you deserve it?

QPR were better out of the blocks, but once we weathered that, and Cahill scored a great opener, I think we deserved it.

There's a good chance though the table will be completely reversed for us by week 7. Next matches are:

Man City, Liverpool, ManU, then a brief pause for breath against Norwich, before Arsenal and Chelsea. So that's the 5 top teams in the next 6 matches :)

It will be a miracle if you keep Cahill another season,but great goal and a good start to the season always a good mid-table chance.

Until the money runs out.

One of the benefits of being a Bolton supporter, is we never had money to start with :) It ran out years ago.

The only manager ever to have been given decent money was Gary Mugson (no I didn't spell Megson wrong). He then went and spent best part of 10mio on the donkey Johan Elmander.

Yes we could really do with keeping Cahill, as the money would just go into paying off debt, and he would be hard to replace. Losing new signing Mears in defence, and star Korean C.Y Lee for a season due to injury, won't help our cause on a very thin squad.

Last season we were punching well above our station up in 6th / 7th until the last few weeks when the thin squad took its toll, and we ended mid-table. Mid-table was a pretty good achievement really, just that we'd been higher for so much longer took a little of the edge off.

Edited by fletchsmile