Bolton Wanderers FC.

fletchsmile

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolton 5 Stoke 0

Great game from Bolton. Kevin Davies back in the team leading by example. Klasnic "The Goal Machine" back. Muamba helped shore up what has been a light weight midfield recently. Jussi solid between the posts and more like his old self. Great debut from Joe Riley, aged 20, on the books since aged 7 and came up thru the academy. Chris Eagles, man of the match.

Hopefully we can build on this. As expected we were bottom not long into the season after playing arguably the 5 top clubs in the first 7 games, which seems to have knocked confidence a bit.

:)

Bolton 5 Stoke 0

Great game from Bolton. Kevin Davies back in the team leading by example. Klasnic "The Goal Machine" back. Muamba helped shore up what has been a light weight midfield recently. Jussi solid between the posts and more like his old self. Great debut from Joe Riley, aged 20, on the books since aged 7 and came up thru the academy. Chris Eagles, man of the match.

Hopefully we can build on this. As expected we were bottom not long into the season after playing arguably the 5 top clubs in the first 7 games, which seems to have knocked confidence a bit.

Interesting result.

One statistic I pointed out in another thread that rather got lost in translation was this. In the first 10 games of the season Bolton scored 6 points. If you looked at the identical matches (in terms of teams and location) in the previous season - match equivalent - they also scored 6 points over those same 10 games (largely a reflection of their tough fixture list.) So from that perspective Coyle is doing no worse than last year.

However what I do not like about Bolton's results (in respect of my view of Owen Coyle) is the variance. If the team is capable of beating Stoke 5-0 and QPR 4-0 it clearly has a degree of quality that should not have led to incredibly poor results elsewhere.

Bolton 5 Stoke 0

Interesting result.

One statistic I pointed out in another thread that rather got lost in translation was this. In the first 10 games of the season Bolton scored 6 points. If you looked at the identical matches (in terms of teams and location) in the previous season - match equivalent - they also scored 6 points over those same 10 games (largely a reflection of their tough fixture list.) So from that perspective Coyle is doing no worse than last year.

However what I do not like about Bolton's results (in respect of my view of Owen Coyle) is the variance. If the team is capable of beating Stoke 5-0 and QPR 4-0 it clearly has a degree of quality that should not have led to incredibly poor results elsewhere.

Yes interesting stat, and good observation. Definite positive one too when you compare our first 10 fixture list this year vs last year.

I wouldn't read too much into the variances. We haven't really got the strength in depth + plus injuries + sending offs, + Coyle changing the teams and style of play, means we haven't had much consistency in the line up. Only 2 players: Robinson + Reo-Coker have played a major part in all games, Cahill has missed 1, Jussi missed 1. Then most players are under 810 minutes of play. That's a lot of changes

As mentioned Coyle sees this as a transition year and is trying to bring down average age. Hence a few experiments. eg playing Ngog, not playing Davies, Bogdan (2nd keeper) instead of Jussi. Hopefully now will settle down a bit. If we can keep Jussi, Cahill, Kevin Davies, Klasnic, Eagles, Muamba for most matches these are the key ones needed to help consistency.

• 1 month later...

Massive win at Blackburn last night. Well done lads.

We definitely need to strengthen the mid-field in January though. It's very lightweight and a key factor why the defense is struggling with no protection in front of it. This year looks very much like the team being bottom at Xmas will go down, so we don't want to be there :)

Definitely missing CY Lee - out with a broken leg. Plus with Stuart Holden out for over a year at the boots of Johhny Evans last season (something Ferguson overlooks when he complains about others), we're missing our 2 key men in the middle.

• 2 months later...

Best wishes from me too, and good to see you here Fletch

Arsene also sends his best for Fabrice's continued recovery

“He is a loved guy,” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “Because we have a young team, many of them grew up with Fabrice. There is a strong link when you fight together in the youth teams because it creates a special bond.

“The players were quite low yesterday and two days ago but today it is a bit better because we have good news about him.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Muamba's condition now upgraded from "critical" to "serious". Continuing best wishes to him and family. The silver lining is the way it has brought out the best in football, players, supporters, managers etc :)

Bolton's fixture list looks very congested now after a good cup run and the Muamba incident.

21 Apr (H) SWA

24 Apr (A) AV

28 Apr (A) SU

2 May (H) TH

6 May (H) WBA

Seems to be a season where luck hasn't really gone our way: Playing all the big teams early on knocked confidence, combined with a few dodgy red cards (+ a few stupidly earned and desrved), 2 of our best midfielders CY Lee and Stuart Holden have been out all season, and now Muamba out. Muamba had come on a lot in his time at Bolton, and while not the greatest going forward he always gave good protection to the back 4. This leaves a very weak midfield, now without any real battlers in there.

Will be a tough run in.

Need a good result at Wolves this weekend. A real 6 pointer!

have to admit i was checking on the Bolton game throughout. delighted you won!

Cheers

First half we were dire. Pretty much as expected, as we played 4-4-2, whereas 4-5-1 would have been much better. We were just overrun in midfield. This was pretty much forced on Owen Coyle though as we've only about 5 fit midfielders. (Anyone who does the Fantasy Football will see that). Even with 4-4-2 we only had 1 recognised midfielder on the bench. Midfield has been the problem all season: CY Lee, Stuart Holden, Muamba all won't play again this season. Pratley injured now too. The defence played well though, but without any cover they had a tough game.

Second half was a different game. We started the better team. Then they scored, and we seemed to play even better.

Overall a draw would probably have been a fair result. Possession was even over 2 halves, although we had more shots and more on target.

The 3 points were very welcome.

Couldn't say I felt delighted though as the penalty shouldn't really have been, so left a feeling we didn't really deserve it and should have been 2-2. Also watched it with a fair few friends, and some of them Wolves supporters, so felt a bit bad for them, especially because of the controversy. Wasn't one I really felt like celebrating.

Still first time we were in the Premier league a decade or so back, we were on the wrong end of a decision vs Everton. That season they stayed up and we got relegated. Had the correct decision been given we'd have stayed up. Definitely time for video technology

Fair assessment about the penalty as it'd be easier as a fan to say it was a penalty.

However, I'm no Bolton fan but I think it was a penalty. A trip is a trip. Moving at speed trying to make something happen, Johnson did clip him just, which tripped him down.

Congratulations to Owen Coyle on being manager of the month for March. :)

Not often we get 3 wins back to back - more used to LLL. Dare we dream of a 4th win in a row? Fulham's form is poor away. Then again if there's ever anyone doing badly - striker not scored, poor away form, no clean sheets, they usually reverse it against Bolton.

Let's also hope that CY Lee features before the end of the season, just in time to help us do enough. :)

• 1 month later...

Well what a disastrous end to a disastrous season. Hope it doesn't get any worse next year

Shocking decision from the referee on Stoke's first "goal". Walter's challenge would have been more at home in American football - clearly knocked the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands and a foul. Very "soft" penalty given to Crouch - Bogdan wasn't even looking at him and seeing where the ball had gone when Crouch went into him, not the other way round.

Bolton did their part. City did their part. Shame the referee couldn't do his.

Someone clearly had to have a bad or great day on the back of a shameful reffing decision and Stoke's first certainly fell into that category. Re the second, we can live in hope - probably forlorn - that the refs get trained on how to spot a dive (since the media and us couchside pundits can, usually on first look too), though in his defence Crouches legs are often about 5 feet apart at odd angles so it's not difficult to catch one when you least expect it.

Bolton need to do like West Ham, keep the main part of the team together and they will bounce back up, but like most teams going down it is gonna be upto the players if they want Premiership returns with new clubs or to fight it out in the Championship

Some more good news for Muamba.

Muamba could resume playing

Bolton midfielder made a stunning recovery from a heart attack

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11672/7776495/Muamba-could-resume-playing

On a more light hearted note: The positive side of this is that Bolton football club will have learnt a lot about heart attacks. For the fans this might also come in useful too given the way we play. I have to say I'm surprised they let Muamba watch the Bolton matches live, they're enough to give anyone a .... :)

Glad to see Kevin Davies will stay. Yes he's getting on a bit, but is an exemplary leader, and a great guy. He also does a lot of excellent charity work in Bolton, and is very happy there with his family, which are key reasons for staying:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11672/7763571/New-deal-for-Davies

Of the ones leaving:

Gretar Steinsson, Paul Robinson,spacer.gif Sean Davis,spacer.gif Robbie Blake,spacer.gif Ricardo Gardner,spacer.gif Ivan Klasnic,spacer.gif Mark Connolly, Tope Obadeyi, Rhys Bennett, Dino Fazlic and Tom Eckersley have all been release

Steinsson was worth keeping. Ricardo Garner has been an excellent player for the club over the years, although passed it now he's been a fans' favourite for years. Klasnic scored some good goals and was an improvement on "Cinderella" Elmander (personally I thought he was more of a donkey than Cinderella, but understood where the nickname came from and he should have "gone to the ball" a bit more). After that the rest are fringe players, who rarely played. Reo-Coker also wants to leave. Fair enough. probably the last mid-fielder in the team we had fit. OK but should be able to replace.

So all in all not a bad clear-out so far...

• 8 months later...