Asked To Verify My Hotmail Account

Andrew Hicks

'Hotmail Warning!!!! Verify Your Account Now to Avoid it Closed.)'

I have received an email from Hotmail Customer Services via the address, [email protected] saying that they are upgrading their database and deleting unused accounts and if I do not respond by sending my Hotmail Id and password, date of birth and territory, my account will be automatically closed.

Is this a scam or should I respond with these details?

There are language errors as above and Hotmail surely know that my account is active etc. However, it is extraordinary if their system allows an ousider to use the address [email protected] if they are not official.

Any advice please on this and on scams generally?

Many thanks.

There are some

I wouldn't answer. If you use the account then there is no need for it to be verified. Inactive accounts do get closed but again, if yours hasn't been inactive then whats the need? If you have been inactive, then just log into the account, that will reactivate it.

///MOVED/// to Internet forum

'Hotmail Warning!!!! Verify Your Account Now to Avoid it Closed.)'

I have received an email from Hotmail Customer Services via the address, [email protected] saying that they are upgrading their database and deleting unused accounts and if I do not respond by sending my Hotmail Id and password, date of birth and territory, my account will be automatically closed.

Is this a scam or should I respond with these details?

There are language errors as above and Hotmail surely know that my account is active etc. However, it is extraordinary if their system allows an ousider to use the address [email protected] if they are not official.

Any advice please on this and on scams generally?

Many thanks.

There are some

In a word, DON"T! Most internet providers will de-active an email address that hasn't been used for six months (Yahoo has done the "job" on me several times). Your best bet is to locate Hotmails phone contact number and call. They will advise you from that point. Hopefully, you have saved the requesting email for evidence, if needed. :o

Of coarse it is a scam - the language tells you that. The request for password also would never be asked by those that have your password. Send a copy of mail to Hotmail (expect [email protected]) if they do not have other reporting means, so they can close the account. People use this knowing the account will be closed but by that time they may have fooled a number of people and now have there account details. And in this case enough information to start false identity paperwork.

Of coarse it is a scam - the language tells you that. The request for password also would never be asked by those that have your password. Send a copy of mail to Hotmail (expect [email protected]) if they do not have other reporting means, so they can close the account. People use this knowing the account will be closed but by that time they may have fooled a number of people and now have there account details. And in this case enough information to start false identity paperwork.

Thanks so much for this.

I forwarded it to [email protected] but the message was twice returned.

I have scanned through the Hotmail site but cannot find any other email to report to. Maybe they don't use email.

Any further thoughts as I would like to report it.

Andrew

...Of coarse it is a scam - the language tells you that...

Exactly.... the legitimacy of these emails can often be quickly determined by the use of english. I get the occasional email with "You must to be entering the eBay password of yours..." or something to that effect. How nice of them to make their scam obvious.

I've been getting emails from "Microsoft Customer Support ([email protected])" saying they've received my request to reset my password and detailing instructions on how to do it.

Sounded fishy, as I never sent any such request, and already know how to change my password. I deleted the email, and the ones that keep showing up everyday since. They even include a link to the Windows Live privacy statement:

"We encourage you to review our privacy statement Privacy Statement at http://g.msn.co.uk/2privacy/engb."

(Note that "privacy statement" is written twice, and the domain is in the UK, not the US, as you might expect being a Microsoft site)

Just for the he_ll of it, I logged in to my Hotmail account and changed my password normally. Let's see if these other emails stop.

I've been getting emails from "Microsoft Customer Support ([email protected])" saying they've received my request to reset my password and detailing instructions on how to do it.

Sounded fishy, as I never sent any such request, and already know how to change my password. I deleted the email, and the ones that keep showing up everyday since. They even include a link to the Windows Live privacy statement:

"We encourage you to review our privacy statement Privacy Statement at http://g.msn.co.uk/2privacy/engb."

(Note that "privacy statement" is written twice, and the domain is in the UK, not the US, as you might expect being a Microsoft site)

Just for the he_ll of it, I logged in to my Hotmail account and changed my password normally. Let's see if these other emails stop.

Someone for sure is trying to crack your hotmail account.