Skype Video Problem

tingtong

My problem is with skype video call.

when from our older computer we try to use, then on the other side they can see our pictures, but we dont recieve any on our side. it is only a black squere.

on my laptop with the built is camera everything is fine.

As I leave soon for work, I would like to use skype to keep contact with family, but I would also like them to see me.

any idea what might be the problem?

many thanks

windows xp sp2

Check the settings in Skype by clicking on the Skype Menu Tools >Options >Video Settings and enable he Camera. You should see a picture captured with your camera, maybe your self.

Open IE, go to Tools >Internet Option >Advanced and enabled the ActiveX and Java Settings completly.

Right click somewhere on the free Desktop, click Properties >Settings >Advanced and set the slider full to right for Hardware Acceleration.

Test the camera.

Edited by Reimar

Just a guess...

For displaying video most programs use a method called hardware overlay or video overlay. Overlay is way for computers to efficiently display video by letting applications write directly to the buffer on the video card rather than bogging down the cpu. Unfortunately, some older video cards can only display a single instance of video overlay or hardware overlay. On these older cards that only allow a single window to use hardware overlay at any one time, attempting to start a second video will fail or fallback to older methods that use the cpu.

I'm wondering if the preview image for your webcam uses the overlay first and therefore prevents the incoming video from displaying properly. I'm not familiar with skype video, can you disable your preview video and only see incoming video? How about fullscreen mode?

If that doesn't help, you might try running an older versions of skype, I would try 3.2.0.163 first and if that doesn't work try 2.5.0.154. You can get both here.

You can test the video by calling videoecho123 btw.

Reimar:

the camera is ok, in that matter I can see myself, also the other party can see me.

what the problem is that I cant see the other party...only a black space insteed.

other computer and camera dont have this problem. (have other to mashines, but those built is cams, laptops).

all uses the same copy of skype, generally the same setting.

Veaser: might try an earlier version there, who knows.

Thank you guys.

Have you checked the Internet settings? And your Router setting.

That the other party can see you not means that you must see them too. The Router blocks the incoming traffic, not the outgoing! What's about your Firewall? I would suggest to check all settings which have anything to do with Internet and incoming traffic!