Water Tanks

202marcellus

After reading Kamalabob2's post it has me thinking about my own setup. Our Moo/Soi only has mains water delivered to a handful of houses, however the Tessabaan & water company have offered all house occupants mains for a one off fee of 4,900 Baht. There has not exactly been a rush from our Thai neighbours on this offer!.. I am still considering it.

My water supply is based on pumping water out of the ground and into a stainless steel tank (1100 litres), it passes through a small inline filter before going into the tank. It then is pumped on demand into the house through a Hitachi water pump (A little too noisy in my opinion).

The house is one storey, 2 bathrooms/kitchen inside & outside and a outside toilet/shower.

The pump kicked in too frequently at first. Plenty of pressure but some fixing of pipes & fittings improved matters and now the pump comes on only when tap/shower or toilet is used.

Looking at K/bob2 set up of filters has me wondering about our water quality. We use it for just about everything except drinking water, I have the 25 litre bottles delivered in for that.

There is some staining of shower walls & toilets from the water, but if you clean it off quickly not a major worry. The stainless tank has some residue on the surface. As it is a new tank I have emptied and cleaned it a few times too, in time I will build some overhead cover to shade it from the sun. In all I am happy with the set up and will ask my sons advice who comes over at Christmas. He is one of those UK super plumbers who charge a fortune for work on up market houses!.

It will be interesting to hear his views on blue pipes etc.

Finally the Tessabaan announced over the speakers last week that mains water is now safe to drink in this town!

post-44176-1214617445_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
After reading Kamalabob2's post it has me thinking about my own setup. Our Moo/Soi only has mains water delivered to a handful of houses, however the Tessabaan & water company have offered all house occupants mains for a one off fee of 4,900 Baht. ...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but that 4,900 baht may be partly - or mostly - due to the cost of the meter.

... The pump that delivered Municipal water into our 1000 liter tank was running and attempting to refill the tank far too often in my opinion....

Pumping from the municipal water supply? Illegal, I think - and dangerous as you could be sucking all sorts of filthy water into the pipe from some other source (e.g. your neighbour's drain) especially if the municipal supply pressure drops.

• 2 years later...
Get stainless steel. will last 30 years.

Not my 2,000 liter "stainless steel" tank, died in about four months, rusted out from the relatively high salinity out here at Klong 10, Thanyaburi.

FYI, the mooban main water supply was put in by the developer with some sort of real cheap 8 inch "cement" piping. In the 11 years + we've lived here parts of the two main lines have broken 30-40 times, which takes a day to three or so days to repair, depending on holidays, availablity of workers, etc.

So, we ended up getting four 2,000 liter plastic tanks a year ago, working fine.

Attached the niece this morning while waiting for the school van to take her off to her daily lobotomy in the Thai school system, and three of the tanks.

Mac

Just stumbled across this thread while searching for something else.

FYI, the four plastic tanks are still in fine shape, and have saved our bacon lots of times when the mooban water pipes to TU.

Mac

Get stainless steel. will last 30 years.

Not my 2,000 liter "stainless steel" tank, died in about four months, rusted out from the relatively high salinity out here at Klong 10, Thanyaburi.

FYI, the mooban main water supply was put in by the developer with some sort of real cheap 8 inch "cement" piping. In the 11 years + we've lived here parts of the two main lines have broken 30-40 times, which takes a day to three or so days to repair, depending on holidays, availablity of workers, etc.

So, we ended up getting four 2,000 liter plastic tanks a year ago, working fine.

Attached the niece this morning while waiting for the school van to take her off to her daily lobotomy in the Thai school system, and three of the tanks.

Mac

Just stumbled across this thread while searching for something else.

FYI, the four plastic tanks are still in fine shape, and have saved our bacon lots of times when the mooban water pipes to TU.

Mac

stainless steel doesnt last 2 years close to the ocean

while good quality UV plastic lasts 8-15 in the sun, and forever in a basement

but the best is fiberglass

A Big 10-4 regarding use of a simple check/non-return valve when power is off to the pump/you are doing maintenance on the pump/etc. That way you still have "low" pressure water flowing....low water pressure is better than no water pressure. My pump system is supplied from the Bangkok water mains through a storage tank, but when the pump is not working/turned off, I still get about 10psi of pressure from the main line as the check/non-return valve automatically allows bypass of my pump and storage tank when the pump is turned off and not generating/maintaining higher pressure to keep the check/non-turn valve closed...all thanks to the 200 baht/mechanical/super reliable check/non-return valve operation. Buy them at Lotus, HomePro, and many other places.

Edited by Pib