Insurance

Mosha

How is the cost worked out here, is it much the same as the UK minus driver experience?Also for each class of vehicle mainly pickup/saloon what should someone be paying? My wife keeps saying we can go to what the UK calls 3rd party, but given that alot of Thais are driving around without a licence, then isn't any insurance they have void? She talks about 3rd party cos she says I'm a good driver. I like to think I'm an average Western taught driver. :o

My new truck came with insurance (internal cost about Bt18,000). That is first class / comprehensive insurance. I get the feeling that if you had an old car, then you'd have to weigh it up but for a new vehicle I'd have the top insurance.

Nevermind Thais driving without a license, many drive with no insurance and if you want to protect yourself, then buy insurance as no doubt the guy who hits you will have none !

As Insurance is so cheap here in comparison to where we come from, its really worth it just to go for first class. The knowledge that if you do ever get into an accident, you just call the company, sit back and chill is invaluable. To me at least.

The compulsory 3rd party insurance is around 800Baht, not sure exactly what sort of coverage that will give you. An additional first class insurance is around 18,000Baht but you can get that down to around 13,000Baht if you increase the deductible to 5,000Baht.

The compulsory 3rd party insurance is around 800Baht, not sure exactly what sort of coverage that will give you. An additional first class insurance is around 18,000Baht but you can get that down to around 13,000Baht if you increase the deductible to 5,000Baht.

If the deductible basically offset the premium as per your example then everyone expecting to claim once or less per year would do it. My experience when I bought the truck was that taking or increasing a deductible made a much smaller difference.

Please think about where we are and get the best insurance you can, is the best advice we can give. Without it you can get into all sorts of problems and relying on the CTPL (Government) insurance is just plain daft.

Can you shed some light on the effect of the deductable amount please?

If the deductible basically offset the premium as per your example then everyone expecting to claim once or less per year would do it. My experience when I bought the truck was that taking or increasing a deductible made a much smaller difference.

Not sure what broker you checked with but I got a few similar quotes where the premium was in direct proportion to the deductible, 18,000 with no deductible, 15,000 with 3000 deductible and 13,000 with 5000 deductible. So it makes sense what you say that if you expect to claim more than the deductible in a year to take the no deductible option.

Any claim less than the deductible will be paid by yourself any higher clam and you pay the deductible and the insurance company pay the rest.

Personally I have the insurance to get a decent coverage for myself and my passengers, to have a bail bond cover in the case I get locked up because of an accident and to have a good third party coverage in the case of a large claim (up to 10,000,000Baht is covered)

Please think about where we are and get the best insurance you can, is the best advice we can give. Without it you can get into all sorts of problems and relying on the CTPL (Government) insurance is just plain daft.

Can you shed some light on the effect of the deductable amount please?

A deductable will lower the premium but not in direct proportion with all companies i.e. if you have a 3,000 Baht deductable you will not always get a 3,000 baht lower premium.

Not sure what broker you checked with but I got a few similar quotes where the premium was in direct proportion to the deductible, 18,000 with no deductible, 15,000 with 3000 deductible and 13,000 with 5000 deductible. So it makes sense what you say that if you expect to claim more than the deductible in a year to take the no deductible option.

Any claim less than the deductible will be paid by yourself any higher clam and you pay the deductible and the insurance company pay the rest.

Personally I have the insurance to get a decent coverage for myself and my passengers, to have a bail bond cover in the case I get locked up because of an accident and to have a good third party coverage in the case of a large claim (up to 10,000,000Baht is covered)

Do the insurance broker give you an instant quotation or it took a few days? And did most of them speak English?

Do the insurance broker give you an instant quotation or it took a few days? And did most of them speak English?

At Thai Visa Insurace all the staff members speak good English plus there are 2 native English speakers - try asking for a quote !

At Thai Visa Insurace all the staff members speak good English plus there are 2 native English speakers - try asking for a quote !

Do u have a branch office in Chiang Mai? if so, i will consider next year.

Not in CM.  Thai Visa Insurance is an internet operation which is an easy and efficient solution to the boring task of buying insurance - stay in the comfort of your home and let your computer do the work !

Not in CM.  Thai Visa Insurance is an internet operation which is an easy and efficient solution to the boring task of buying insurance - stay in the comfort of your home and let your computer do the work !

Interesting. How do we pay & receive the insurance documents/sticker? by mail?

Nokia

Correct - by registered EMS post and premiums via the bank or ATM - very easy  :o

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a used vehicle (1995) and looking for insurance for it. Has anyone insured their vehicle with Thaivisa auto insurance and has claimed before can tell me how it work? If it is done through internet, when the accident happened, to whom you can call? Should go back home to do internet by then?

Not in CM. Thai Visa Insurance is an internet operation which is an easy and efficient solution to the boring task of buying insurance - stay in the comfort of your home and let your computer do the work !

Nokia

Correct - by registered EMS post and premiums via the bank or ATM - very easy :o

I just bought a used vehicle (1995) and looking for insurance for it. Has anyone insured their vehicle with Thaivisa auto insurance and has claimed before can tell me how it work? If it is done through internet, when the accident happened, to whom you can call? Should go back home to do internet by then?

Yatsum

Please understand you do not 'insure' your property with Thai Visa Insurance - we are Brokers.

If/when you need to claim, one simply make a phone call to the insurance companies 24hr number and arrange for their engineer to attend the accident/problem.