Drug Addiction

Naam

a week ago i asked a friend of mine (who's financial affairs i am handling since more than two decades) why he frequently withdraws "small" amounts by credit card on top of the quarterly lump sums i transfer to his current account. it turned out that his wife has become an addict to hard drugs and she is the one who draws 2-3k dollars a month with her credit card to finance her addiction. both live in a south-east asian country with relevant fines as stiff or even stiffer than those in Thailand. when i lined up the potential consequences both of them got scared sh*tless.

what is the advice of TV-members to "cure" that addiction? does it make any sense to send her to some Thai Wat (i heard there is that possibility) or would you recommend to send her back to Europe to some "institution". she is quite willing to accept any "cure".

Her best bet is return to a Western country, preferably the one of her own origin or where she is very familiar. Treatment requires that she "withdraw" from the drugs first and she may need close medical supervision during detox. Secondly, in order to face her problem, she will need to understand the extent of the problem and that requires a certain amount of her culture, language, religion etc.

Detox alone may not be effective in helping her. Also, the legalities would be best addressed when she isn't in the country where the "crime" is being committed.

Best of luck to you and them.

I disagree that she necessarily needs to go to a Western country.

Many addicts who have been failed by the revolving-door treatment centers in the West have now turned to the East.

Many have recovered here in Thailand.

I would include myself among their number.

Here is a thread about a great treatment temple here in LOS (in my opinion);

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104567

The first rule in “curing” a drug addict is that they themselves must want to be cured, it’s usually quite counter-productive to “send” someone to a treatment centre, unless it’s a completely secure facility where the addict has no chance of escape or changing his mind.

Patrick

The first rule in “curing” a drug addict is that they themselves must want to be cured, it’s usually quite counter-productive to “send” someone to a treatment centre, unless it’s a completely secure facility where the addict has no chance of escape or changing his mind.

Patrick

There is such a drug treatment centre in Khon Kaen, where addicts come from all over the country. Is the woman Thai?

Edited by Neeranam

Naam, I am no expert, good luck and I think your friends both need a lot of prays. This is a demon I hope never to have to deal with ie family or loved ones.

Hopefully getting her to a location with good professionals experienced in drug rehab, and away from the source of drugs is the first move and will start her on a road to recovery.

Hi

This is my profession ( I have been working in Substance Misuse in the UK for 15 years and have set up and run successful rehabs) and I maybe able to offer some options but I won't do this over a public forum.

If your friend wants help then get her to PM me and I will offer what help I can.

I should stress I currently work in this field but will offer impartial advice or at least point her in the right direction.

Patrick

There is such a drug treatment centre in Khon Kaen, where addicts come from all over the country. Is the woman Thai?

no she is french but speaks fluently english.

Hi

This is my profession ( I have been working in Substance Misuse in the UK for 15 years and have set up and run successful rehabs) and I maybe able to offer some options but I won't do this over a public forum.

If your friend wants help then get her to PM me and I will offer what help I can.

I should stress I currently work in this field but will offer impartial advice or at least point her in the right direction.

thanks, i have relayed your message but i believe her husband will contact you. to facilitate the procedure would you please PM me and submit your e-mail? he hesitates to communicate via private message for reasons of confidentiality.

May I ask, what is the drug she's addicted to? It's hard to get your head around someone being able to spend and use $3000 a month on drugs in Asia.

i have no idea and for obvious reasons we did not dare to mention any "keywords" on the phone.

I disagree that she necessarily needs to go to a Western country.

Many addicts who have been failed by the revolving-door treatment centers in the West have now turned to the East.

Many have recovered here in Thailand.

I would include myself among their number.

i tend to agree with you Garro but i have no facts to rely upon and make a jugdment.

Patrick

from what i gathered she wants to be cured. but what is a personal impression worth which is based on some phone calls? my wife is flying on thursday to meet her. perhaps she returns with facts.

Naam sorry to hear about your friend.

I would suggest to cut the money off from this person until they start to make a decision on change. Most addicts will tell you yes I want to change but only when they are found out. They need a massive jolt or what is called a rock bottom to actually gravitate to a change. Until then you may just find you are pi## in the wind.

Its a hard one, particularly when its your friend. I would say that they are very lucky to have you as a friend as you picked up the irregularity and asked what was wrong.

I agree with Garro that they can do it in the country where they live. I remember hearing this lady talk about getting clean in New York. She said that she could not leave her apartment with more than $10 as that is the amount it took to buy drugs in New York.

It all depends on does the person want to stop. If you find they are only giving lip service, I would suggest that you withdraw all support, but let them know you are available if they want to do something about their problem.

That's just my thoughts.

Look after yourself as well.

a week ago i asked a friend of mine (who's financial affairs i am handling since more than two decades) why he frequently withdraws "small" amounts by credit card on top of the quarterly lump sums i transfer to his current account. it turned out that his wife has become an addict to hard drugs and she is the one who draws 2-3k dollars a month with her credit card to finance her addiction. both live in a south-east asian country with relevant fines as stiff or even stiffer than those in Thailand. when i lined up the potential consequences both of them got scared sh*tless.

what is the advice of TV-members to "cure" that addiction? does it make any sense to send her to some Thai Wat (i heard there is that possibility) or would you recommend to send her back to Europe to some "institution". she is quite willing to accept any "cure".

You cannot do anything.

Let them get lucky, or dig their own graves.

Tell them to be careful.

If they get caught, forget you knew them - they are losers.

Hi naam, just one thing I would say to this ....... She will only get clean if thats what she wants, be mindful that she is not just paying lip service, sorry I don't mean this to sound heartless, as I wish her all the best, but recovery has to come from within, a will to recover sometimes only comes from hitting rock bottom. I have known many people that started down that slippery slope, some came through it, others were not so fortunate.

Good luck

Edit

Wrong Turn, classing someone that suffers from an addition illness as a loser is way off base, most times people who are addicts have no control over them selves, they are ill, they have a desease and need help. People turning away from them only componds the pressure they are already feeling.

Edited by solent01

I would suggest to cut the money off from this person until they start to make a decision on change.

cutting the money off is not an option as the addicted wife has her own rights in this respect.

I agree with Garro that they can do it in the country where they live.

not in a country with death penalty for possession of drugs. i am not a lawyer and therefore not sure whether criminal proceedings could be initiated for former possession and consumption of drugs.

It all depends on does the person want to stop. If you find they are only giving lip service, I would suggest that you withdraw all support, but let them know you are available if they want to do something about their problem.

it's hard to judge from the distance whether the intention is genuine or lip service only. and... one doesn't let old and close friends down easily.

Look after yourself as well.

my problem is an indirect one. my wife is devastated because her old friend's addiction and plans to fly over there to find out details. i am worried because of country's stiff laws that my wife could get in trouble too when staying in a home in which drugs are either used or perhaps stored.

thanks for your concern Chris!