Places Serving Alcohol 22nd-25 Dec In C Mai

Chiangmai Foxy

just read that no alcohol can be bought/served 22nd - 25 dec in thailand,due to the forthcoming elections,as reported on the thai news.

surely during the peak time in thailand (exception of songkran),this cannot be so,can it?

the entertainment industry,bars,clubs etc will have its pocket well hit.xmas eve in changers may well be the worst yet.

many bars will find a way around this im sure :o

i cannot imagine a sober cesspit (spicy) on xmas eve.

Normally the sale of alcohol is from about 7pm the night before until about 6pm on the day of the election. Not sure why in your post it is being reported as for three days. Bars are closed but restaurants are able to sell alcohol with meals until 7pm but not on the actual day of the election

And yes the police are pretty strict on this. Last time every bar including Spicy was shut.

The idea that Thailand will cater for a bunch of farung wishing to celebrate Christmas? I don't think so :o

CB

My first thought about the election date was it's another initative by TAT to promote the high season :o

I believe CM is still under Martial law? The powers that be are still nervous about the Toxin effect in this province so expect things to be more controlled than usual and the alcohol ban rigorously enforced. It wouldn't be the first time this year that I've seen a bar with BIB connections, that can normally bend the rules being shut down by the military.

Anway, Christmas is great in Thailand becasue of the total lack of deference Thais exhibit towards it. I hate what its become in Europe... HUMBUG! If you're coming here looking for a mega Christmas party you've picked the wrong country (and if you're coming here just to party with Farangs you are coming to this beautiful country for all the wrong reasons).

When they picked the date they won't have given even a seconds thought to some farang holiday. But getting it all over before the New year holiday (Which is big here) may have been a consideration.

I'd be surprised - I often am - if the alcohol ban is for as long a period as you report. The norm as Crow Boy says is for 24 hour enforced abstinence to cover the night before and the day of the election which in this case is 23 December.

I'm sure someone will clarify this soon - not all the expats here are candidates for 'Scrooge - the Bah Humbug Director's cut', many will want to be out celebrating Give-a-Gift Day.

JxP

I think this has been confused by the fact that they have declared the 24th as a holiday to encourage people to go home and vote.

There has been no mention from any official sources that the 24th will be a dry day, just a holiday. Most Thais will have full pockets on the 24th from selling their vote, so will need somewhere to spend it.

Can't see the 24th being dry. My mate who owns a bar has heard nothing about this either, but has been told about the 22nd/23rd.

chiangmai foxy, england is a good place to celebrate x'mas. policies are a bit volatile here this part of the world.

Spot the man with a non-tourist related business! :o

JxP

wrong jxp, everything in thailand is related to the tourist business. just helping a fellow forum member by giving a "constructive" suggestion.

:D

chiangmai foxy, england is a good place to celebrate x'mas. policies are a bit volatile here this part of the world.

JxP

wrong jxp, everything in thailand is related to the tourist business. just helping a fellow forum member by giving a "constructive" suggestion.

"wrong" and "jxp" - not a combination of words that one sees very often! :D I'll consider myself told and quite rightly too, I will however debate that "everything" in Thailand is related to tourism, an (un)healthy percentage maybe but not everything. :D

My constructive tuppence worth - to the OP, Chiangmai Foxy, you have been coming here often enough and long enough, I am sure that you will not have too much of a problem enjoying yourself - where there's a will there's a way and it's starting to look like your worst fears will not be confirmed anyway. A dry(ish) 23rd in preparation for a mammoth Eve and Day could be the order of the day.

Anyway enough of my prattle, must get back to my non-tourism business. :D

JxP

still think england is a great place to celebrate x'mas. if TAT doesn't care, why should anyone care? right JxP? :o

on a more serious note, it has been stated that alcohol would not be sold on the 24th. eve of the elections. but should be available evening onwards 25th. thats how its always been that past 6 years i have been here. not sure where the OP got her source of information from.

cheers !

still think england is a great place to celebrate x'mas. if TAT doesn't care, why should anyone care? right JxP? :o

on a more serious note, it has been stated that alcohol would not be sold on the 24th. eve of the elections. but should be available evening onwards 25th. thats how its always been that past 6 years i have been here. not sure where the OP got her source of information from.

cheers !

Sorry Tiger, I don't understand this. 24th is not the eve of the election - can you clarify your point pls.

cheers !

Sorry Tiger, I don't understand this. 24th is not the eve of the election - can you clarify your point pls.

sorry my mistake. as though u didn't know i made a mistake? just itching to point it out eh? make that 23rd the eve and 24th when alcohol should be served.

JxP

"wrong" and "jxp" - not a combination of words that one sees very often! :D I'll consider myself told and quite rightly too, I will however debate that "everything" in Thailand is related to tourism, an (un)healthy percentage maybe but not everything. :D

My constructive tuppence worth - to the OP, Chiangmai Foxy, you have been coming here often enough and long enough, I am sure that you will not have too much of a problem enjoying yourself - where there's a will there's a way and it's starting to look like your worst fears will not be confirmed anyway. A dry(ish) 23rd in preparation for a mammoth Eve and Day could be the order of the day.

Anyway enough of my prattle, must get back to my non-tourism business. :D

JxP

thanks jxp,

hope you are correct,and thanks for the non pessimistic answer.

much appreciated,sure i will have a good time anyway as friends with me and know many ppl in C mai

ps tigerbeer

yes you are correct,england is a good place at xmas,but i will be in thailand(flight,hotel booked,friends coming etc)

just wanted to clarifly the situation for when i arrive,as i had read in a thread in gen topics,about it being a 3 day ban

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

I think this has been confused by the fact that they have declared the 24th as a holiday to encourage people to go home and vote.

There has been no mention from any official sources that the 24th will be a dry day, just a holiday. Most Thais will have full pockets on the 24th from selling their vote, so will need somewhere to spend it.

Can't see the 24th being dry. My mate who owns a bar has heard nothing about this either, but has been told about the 22nd/23rd.

the following is the quote i read,from another thread,which prompted me to ask about this potentially "dry 3 days"

TV Channel 3 reports that because of the general election alcohol sales will be prohibited throughout the Kingdom from 6:00 PM on December 22nd to the 25th.

Should be an interesting Christmas holiday this year.

Cheers!

My first thought about the election date was it's another initative by TAT to promote the high season :o

I believe CM is still under Martial law? The powers that be are still nervous about the Toxin effect in this province so expect things to be more controlled than usual and the alcohol ban rigorously enforced. It wouldn't be the first time this year that I've seen a bar with BIB connections, that can normally bend the rules being shut down by the military.

Anway, Christmas is great in Thailand becasue of the total lack of deference Thais exhibit towards it. I hate what its become in Europe... HUMBUG! If you're coming here looking for a mega Christmas party you've picked the wrong country (and if you're coming here just to party with Farangs you are coming to this beautiful country for all the wrong reasons).

When they picked the date they won't have given even a seconds thought to some farang holiday. But getting it all over before the New year holiday (Which is big here) may have been a consideration.

Melly Christmas to you, I thought Jan 1st was a Farang New Year too Thai is April.

I have been celebrating some great Thai Christmases here since 1973 Thais of course will take any and every excuse to celebrate whatever