Buses To Southern Provinces

isabelle17

Hello! I am going to Thailand again next year. I am planning to take a bus from Bangkok to Phuket. I know that there is a new bus station that takes you to the south. I believe it is called the Sai Tai Mai bus station. Is this correct? Or have they changed the name?

I have heard from many people that the bus trips from bangkok to the provinces in the south are not safe. Is this true? Also, are you required to transfer to another bus at all, or do you just stay on one bus the entire time until you get to your destination? If anyone can help me with this, it would be much appreciated!

Yes, correct name for the bus station in Bangkok. Why don't you fly to Phuket?? it is only a few hundred baht more and you don't have to endure the bus journey from Bangkok ( 10 hours ) if you do decide on the bus then take the 24 seater VIP bus, nice big seats and there is no changing of buses.

bus travel to the south is safe (unless the driver took too much yaabaa) - probably your friends were talking about the danger from insurgents, but it's further south from hat yai.

the southern bus terminal is being transfered from the old terminal location to the new one, a few kilometres to the west - the long haul buses still departing from the old one. This transfer of operation should be completed within a week - but double check.

airfare might be expensive this time of year - so book in advance to get a good deal. Buses will be more difficult to get around xmas/new year - so they should be booked as well.