Setting Your Thai Inlaws Up To Self Sustain

macleod101

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And i thought of another ? ! is there any1 @ all , who just moved to the village & actually embraced the lifestyle themselves, without sponsoring thai nationals.. I get the impression, most of you guys are retired & surely not from Rotschild clan .. So anyone ?!? Just live & sleep in the village , take some cash for family use .. Family asks for more>>

Maai meee .. Mee jak nai (where got, if sponsor in question doesn't work himself , or approaches the age of his wife's parents) Why he should not be receiver instead .. So anyone at all here , who's FED by the village , instead of feeding the village :D ?

Kind of a foolish post. As you said most of us are retired here; as such we have to bring in 60K per month (single) or 40K per month (married). If someone brings in that much a month and needs to be fed by the village he's got a serious drinking problem :o

Besides, who would retire to a third-world country and expect to be taken care of? :D

im 24 and married to a girl aged 29, my inlaws have fed me free of charge, athough eventually i've paid that money and more back.. all this talk about villages.. utter rubbish..

macleod, some folks here only able to deal in stereotypes - forget them. The ones who bitch the most about Farangs helping their Thai families normally don't have a pot to piss in......that's not a stereotype lol but the facts. :o

mr blues

who started this thread and what was he cumplaining about. pouring money into you know what, he wants it to stop. he wants family to buy teir own omtam with their own money not his.

actually after reading all well thought out responses. ive cum to this conclusion ,i think the expectaions of the village people r the same they want help from bagged farang. however some faraNG dont seem to understand this, these r the one who have problems adjusting.

Edited by blizzard

mr blues

who started this thread and what was he cumplaining about. pouring money into you know what, he wants it to stop. he wants family to buy teir own omtam with their own money not his.

actually after reading all well thought out responses. ive cum to this conclusion ,i think the expectaions of the village people r the same they want help from bagged farang. however some faraNG dont seem to understand this, these r the one who have problems adjusting.

i don't need to adjust, your idea of my inlaws is completly wrong. A family who adopted 6 kids, owned 3 taxis and a bar in sukumvit who moved home after too many taxi's appeared and their lease on the bar was increased by 200% because they were making a good buck. struck by bad luck after the mother in law was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes leading too huge hosiptal fee's. My father in law is now a fatory manager but it doesn't bring home a good wage. The mother in law looks after the kids and spends a lot of time in hospital.. which costs a lot!!

they took on too much, now my wife and I are picking up the pieces. khao jai?

i don't need to adjust, your idea of my inlaws is completly wrong. A family who adopted 6 kids, owned 3 taxis and a bar in sukumvit who moved home after too many taxi's appeared and their lease on the bar was increased by 200% because they were making a good buck. struck by bad luck after the mother in law was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes leading too huge hosiptal fee's. My father in law is now a fatory manager but it doesn't bring home a good wage. The mother in law looks after the kids and spends a lot of time in hospital.. which costs a lot!!

they took on too much, now my wife and I are picking up the pieces. khao jai?

Sounds like a complete & filling life ... May i ask, have you seen any prove of the things said.. Like pictures, any family relics to prove it , or did you took your girl's word for it ?!? Sounds like a fairytale to me , sorry but just my opinion..

Edited by asiaworld

And i thought of another ? ! is there any1 @ all , who just moved to the village & actually embraced the lifestyle themselves, without sponsoring thai nationals.. I get the impression, most of you guys are retired & surely not from Rotschild clan .. So anyone ?!? Just live & sleep in the village , take some cash for family use .. Family asks for more>>

Maai meee .. Mee jak nai (where got, if sponsor in question doesn't work himself , or approaches the age of his wife's parents) Why he should not be receiver instead .. So anyone at all here , who's FED by the village , instead of feeding the village :D ?

Kind of a foolish post. As you said most of us are retired here; as such we have to bring in 60K per month (single) or 40K per month (married). If someone brings in that much a month and needs to be fed by the village he's got a serious drinking problem :o

Besides, who would retire to a third-world country and expect to be taken care of? :D

I know, i know , but then we've got pleny of those here , who p*mp their savings into the airticket , and than have to keep month to month for the visa-run .. Now those are numerous here also

FAIRY TALE? when i met my wife they lived in bangkok, when i went over there funnily enough i sat in three taxi's which they claimed where theirs, and a bar which they also claimed as theirs.. sorry i didn't bother to check any further, i also disinctly remember paying a mechanics fee of 9000baht on request from my wife once, you i've been had?? also my wife met me in the uk, where her family had financed her flights to the UK... didn't send her out to meet me exactly, more to go and earn some uk ££££'s her own way...

why you post on a thai forum if you hate thai's?

your story keeps changing. i feel like a detecttive giving you the 3rd degree to find out the true story.

first you say you want wife to stop pouring money into family. then you say u want to help them.

2nd you say they unedukated, but they owned 3 taxis and a bar..........is this possible.

3rd u say u paid back the money it cost t feed you many times over. okie dokie. does this mean youre even.

man, if i was yr lawyer id tell to be mute like.

im telling you sir, be happy yr wife only sends enuff to keep them fed. others i see r building houses, etc.....

my god, this is more riveting than csi:thai version

ps . ive nevr said anything bout yr in laws that u didnt say. its yr attitude im concerned with sir.

Edited by blizzard

FAIRY TALE? when i met my wife they lived in bangkok, when i went over there funnily enough i sat in three taxi's which they claimed where theirs, and a bar which they also claimed as theirs.. sorry i didn't bother to check any further, i also disinctly remember paying a mechanics fee of 9000baht on request from my wife once, you i've been had?? also my wife met me in the uk, where her family had financed her flights to the UK... didn't send her out to meet me exactly, more to go and earn some uk ££££'s her own way...

why you post on a thai forum if you hate thai's?

Hey mcleod101 .. i never said i hate thais, YOU did .. i appologised even before asking you the question & may appologise again, if it hurt your feelings , now besides my upbringing in lawyer/detective family , there's enough niceties i have seen here, with my own eyes ...

Cheers

slow down a minute

certain people are giving very good advice, like buying machinery to make something with, i was thinking of buying the machine they use to produce rice.

certain people are giving very poor advice, like don't give them money because they'll spend it.

What I'm asking for is advice on the type of business you can setup with 150Kbaht, Im not looking for a lecture on my wife's family. I understand that certain idiot ferang marry very demanding thai girls and family's.

So thanks for the advice about thai villagers but its of no use to me, I'm able to make my own mind up on wheather I trust them or not. but again thanks

slow down a minute

certain people are giving very good advice, like buying machinery to make something with, i was thinking of buying the machine they use to produce rice.

certain people are giving very poor advice, like don't give them money because they'll spend it.

What I'm asking for is advice on the type of business you can setup with 150Kbaht, Im not looking for a lecture on my wife's family. I understand that certain idiot ferang marry very demanding thai girls and family's.

So thanks for the advice about thai villagers but its of no use to me, I'm able to make my own mind up on wheather I trust them or not. but again thanks

Hey mate .. i haven't worked for anyone,since i was 20 y.o. ! So let me give you advice on business ! You are asking in the WRONG place !! To run any business, one should KNOW, what they are doing ! Otherwise it is a disaster (or just money lost).

So all you can do is: go back to your inlaws & have a word with them please ... Cause NOONE here can advise you anything at all .. Now i know i can do this & that,, but i know ANY business, can make money.. But i CAN'T do any business, due to lack of skill/experience etc.. So the ONLY folks, you Should ask this question IF you're serious, IS your inlaws .. The most you can do with here , is a success/failure story few months down the road .

slow down a minute

It seems to me that the consensus of the rational posts (which you have been to busy responding to baiting to answer) is that there is unlikely any business venture that a small rural village can support. You mention the rice machine, how is the rice being husked now? Wouldn’t they be in direct competition with the person that does that already? My wife’s uncle does it for his small village and he sure doesn’t make a living out of it. At most a few extra bags is all he gets for the service.

IMHO you need to concentrate on giving the family some financial security via a monthly amount and make sure the kids break out of the poverty cycle, probably by education and then jobs in the big city.

TH

or hows about this. its probably too late for ma and pop to change. but its not to late for op to better himself, make more and then you wouldnt be so concerned with helping a really needy family.

i also agree with pete there r good posts that op is just ignoring, mostof which r telling him he is asking for the impossible.

could it possibly be op is pulling our leggs. he just doesnt make mut cents. or do i dare say op's elevator doesnt go to top floor. the good advice he sees i see as horrble advice. the advice he discards i see as superbly thought out.

Edited by blizzard

150k could by a lot of hits... great investment, problem solved :o

If not, I think Jodpha's suggestion is perhaps a good one. Invest in something in the UK and bung them the dosh en-proviso that they work the heck out of their land. They ain't gonna listen to owt else you suggest and will want more once the 150 is done with.

I would make the parents meet me halfway by putting up the 8 rai for the development of a housing tract and condos, plus a little business area where you could collect rent on shopspace to provide the tract with things like a laundry shop, convenience mart, etc. They could have the biggest lot and house in the place and it would totally satisfy their silly face issues. I live in Surin and houses on small plots are selling for 2-4 million baht. You would just need an architect to draw up plans, but I would hold a bid to make them compete and come up with the best plans. That way you have time to get to know them and their level of competence.

In any case the investment budget of B150,000 is too low for it to replace the montly stipend. If the investment goes well and can yield, say, 30% return annually, that would generate $110 a month which is less than the $400 the OP's wife is sending which in turn is only barely enough to keep a large family alive anyway. As some one else has said, the owners of rice husking machines just get given some token bags of rice for letting other farmers use their machines. Therefore it is probably better to use some one else's. I know of a reasonably well to do village family that has done well by buying two mechanical diggers, probably with debt. Few people have them in their area and they are constantly hired out in the surrounding villages. I think I was told the investment was about B2 million each but I don't think they got any help from their daughter as she messed up badly when her farang boyfriend disappeared before the baby was born bringing great shame on the family. Like Blizzard I am now confused about whether the OP's in laws are actually villagers at all and how the family ended up in a tumble down house on 8 rai upcountry with pops doing manual labour for B200 a day after living in Bangkok and owning a bar and three taxis and being able to pay air fares at B40k a throw for their daughter to go to the UK.

In any case the investment budget of B150,000 is too low for it to replace the montly stipend. If the investment goes well and can yield, say, 30% return annually, that would generate $110 a month which is less than the $400 the OP's wife is sending which in turn is only barely enough to keep a large family alive anyway. As some one else has said, the owners of rice husking machines just get given some token bags of rice for letting other farmers use their machines. Therefore it is probably better to use some one else's. I know of a reasonably well to do village family that has done well by buying two mechanical diggers, probably with debt. Few people have them in their area and they are constantly hired out in the surrounding villages. I think I was told the investment was about B2 million each but I don't think they got any help from their daughter as she messed up badly when her farang boyfriend disappeared before the baby was born bringing great shame on the family. Like Blizzard I am now confused about whether the OP's in laws are actually villagers at all and how the family ended up in a tumble down house on 8 rai upcountry with pops doing manual labour for B200 a day after living in Bangkok and owning a bar and three taxis and being able to pay air fares at B40k a throw for their daughter to go to the UK.

Orignally they lived in a village and their family owned a factory, they moved to Bangkok aged 15 married and came back about 3 years ago (some 35years on) having lost nearly everything. Pops has ended up back at work earning a very low wage..

but they do have assets, like a decent house, with a sizeable plot of land, althouth not on any road (but it does have access)

Firstly you are wasting your time giving anyone in Thailand 150000 baht as an investment.

Presently, the banks over here are only offering 2.25% interest with 15% tax deducted, meaning your in laws could only earn 2868 baht per year with 150000 invested. So forget about that amount as an investment.

Lands in Thailand in non-desirable locations are practically valueless. Lots of these plots up for sale everywhere, very difficult to sell and obtain a decent price.

Farming is not profitable and requires a lot of hard work and agricultural knowledge to operate.

Questions: why would anyone in their right minds with hardly any financial income want to adopt 6 children? And if your in laws adopted these children some time ago when they enjoyed better wealth, meaning the children may be working age now, why are they not chipping in and helping to support their step parents?

Living in Thailand I frequently get told lots of these hard luck stories, hoping that I am stupid enough and a soft touch, easy to part with my hard earned dosh.

You are being conned mate. One born every minute, or you know it, but afraid to lose your wife.

Edited by distortedlink

this is probably my fault, i didn't exaplin everything,, they're uneducated city folk really, they own a decent house in Bangkok worth £15K 2 bedrooms and detached.. upcountry they have an old wooden building on stilts....

i seriously appreciate the help I've been giving...

cheers