Expats: How Often Do You Eat Thai Food?

Jingthing

Not counting breakfast, how many Thai food meals do you eat each week?  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious. I find most of us do not eat Thai food all the time even if we love Thai food, we tend to gravitate back to more familiar foods for variety.

The poll assumes 14 meals a week, not counting breakfast, even though some people don't eat meals and some people eat 10 times a day, nothings perfect.

Just curious. I find most of us do not eat Thai food all the time even if we love Thai food, we tend to gravitate back to more familiar foods for variety.

The poll assumes 14 meals a week, not counting breakfast, even though some people don't eat meals and some people eat 10 times a day, nothings perfect.

i'd like to eat thai food more often. but our cook doesn't know how to prepare it properly. on top of that some of the thai food i like to eat stinks beastly during preparation. unfortunately i dropped the plan to build an outside thai kitchen. so once in a while i get some good thai food from an outside restaurant but it's just too bothersome.

not expat, but go often for holidays - I eat only thai. That's what is readily available on any street corner, reasonably priced and what my partner and my family eats (we never eat alone).

Yes, I imagine the tourists who like Thai food eat it more often than expats because they are not here long enough to lose their enthusiasm.

Just about every meal Thai..McD maybe once/week.....Big mistake not to have Thai Kitchen.....we 'chucked out' the inside kitchen bits..don't need it here. Eat out at least half the time.

I eat about twice a day, and I'd say about ten of those times per week I'm eating Thai food. My favorite food is Mexican, but that is not available in most of Thailand and aside from a small handful of places it's unacceptable anyway. Aside from Mexican, I do get a pizza or pasta once or twice a week, but the rest of the time it's all Thai food. There honestly just isn't enough non Thai food available that I want to eat, so I end up eating Thai by default.

I agree alot depends on what is available where you live, and what you can cook, if you want to cook. I used to cook Thai food often in the US, now I don't bother cooking that and only eat it out. If there was good Mexican in Pattaya, I would eat that more. As it is I think there are many good non-Thai options in Pattaya.

Sometimes I think if I ever have to leave Thailand, one of the things I might regret is not eating Thai food more often. But on a day to day basis, I feel like eating so many different things, just as always. Boy, I wish there was Ethiopian food here. And good Vietnamese Pho and Bun. And better Chinese.

Edited by Jingthing

We eat only Thai food - my beloved one regards anything farung as highly suspect :o

Anyone who lives in Thailand and doesn't have an outside kitchen is going to have a lot of difficulty. Between the heat and the smell of the cooking it makes no sense to cook inside. Presumably Mrs Naam doesn't make Pad Bung Fai Deng which results in a flame about 15 feet high if done properly. That could be interesting inside the house :D

We have an inbuilt kitchen but it wasn't connected to gas or electricity (don't ask long and boring story) - only things I make in it are toast and coffee/tea. Everything else gets done outside.

CB

Sometimes I think if I ever have to leave Thailand, one of the things I might regret is not eating Thai food more often. But on a day to day basis, I feel like eating so many different things, just as always. Boy, I wish there was Ethiopian food here. And good Vietnamese Pho and Bun. And better Chinese.

What constitutes "Ethiopian food?" :o Something that Bob Geldof kicks out of a UN chopper with a parachute attached?

What constitutes "Ethiopian food?" huh.gif Something that Bob Geldof kicks out of a UN chopper with a parachute attached?

No you didn't say that!

Anyway, it is spicy stews (meats and vegetables, lentils too) served on a plate of edible sourdough bread, you eat with your hands, picking up the stews with the bread. There is nothing like it, and if you try it and like it, you always want it. Its one of the big things I am looking forward to on my next trip to the US.

post-37101-1196350820_thumb.jpg

Another obvious factor in how often expats eat Thai food is whether they have a Thai partner, especially one who cooks.

BTW, I put down 7, half the time.

Edited by Jingthing

So far the results are surprising to me, but probably because I live in Pattaya, where it is common to meet expats who don't eat any Thai food, except for fried rice and pad Thai.

I am a variety guy, always have been, and always will be ... I love globalization, well, at least my stomach loves it.

At one time I was looking into moving to a Mexican beach resort. As much as I like Mexican food, the only food choices there were Mexican, bad Italian, Mexican style Chinese (don't ask), and American. I would go crazy!

Edited by Jingthing

thai food is amazing. Thailand has a huge variety of food especially with the ever tasty Isaan/Lao connection and the deep south bring in the muslim action.. wow.

i usually eat and cook only thai food although sometimes i eat foreign food if i hang out with some of my friends who are chefs, so they obviously have to prepare lots of euro shit, but its always pleasant to eat some cereal or something once in a while. The amount of healthy food here is amazing. Also if you dont like msg you can easily order or prepare food with out it. MSG and copious amounts of sugar really do distract from premium yummy food though.

Edited by cooL_guY_corY

When I am in Thailand I try to eat 100% Thai food including breakfast. Unfortunately my western guts demand, on occasion, some good old stodge. The times I give in to it I usually take one look at the "food" and think "why the hel_l did I order that cr@p" and give it a bit of a poke around and leave 50% of it. But I have to admit that is usually in one of the Pattaya farang restaurants where they normally serve up little more than average pub grub. Oh and occasionally I do go for the full English fried breakfast, don't know why but sometimes I just hanker after those breakfasts of my childhood /youth - I am usually disappointed though.

I put myself down as a pessimistic 10 but I try to better that. :o

So far the results are surprising to me, but probably because I live in Pattaya, where it is common to meet expats who don't eat any Thai food, except for fried rice and pad Thai.

I'm one of those. I gave up most Thai food even though I like a lot of it to give my bowels a well deserved break. Do you consider fried rice a Thai meal for the sake of this survey?