O/a Visa Rte London

Information for anyone thinking of getting a o/a visa from the RTE London,i would recommend as long has you get all the documents that are required i.e police check, medical certificate, bank and pension letters, you must also get copies of each document and they all have to be certified by a solicitor.Everything is easy as the staff are very helpful.The only down side is you have to go back 2 days later to collect them.Total time spent in embassy presenting all documents 45 min.2nd trip Collecting passports/visa 20 min.

Easier to do in Thailand and daresay much cheaper if they want solicitor certification for everthing.

Naka.

You cannot get O/A in Thailand only from Embassy in your own country

Extend your O Visa for a year in Thailand based on retirement. Much easier and cheaper.

Easier to do in Thailand and daresay much cheaper if they want solicitor certification for everthing.

Naka.

You cannot get O/A in Thailand only from Embassy in your own country

Yes, that is understood.

Question is, why would someone want to go that rather more onerous route ?

Naka.

1. No need for money in Thailand for 2 years.

2. Up to two years before you need to contact Immigration for an extension of stay.

3. For many people a simple police check/medical from family doctor in there home country are not that onerous.

Totally concur with what Lopburi has said.

The O-A route is intended for those planning to spend their retirement years in Thailand and is not that difficult to do once you have sorted out the requirements. The only small problem that I had, when I went this route, was tracking down a Notary Public in rural NW England - they are like hens' teeth! Not all solicitors can act as notaries. The rest was easy.

Two tips for those using the RTE in London:

1. Don't bother too much with their recorded information service - it costs a small fortune and doesn't actually have anything useful (for O-A anyway). Choose the appropriate automated response and you will get to speak to a human being. Then it's just a case of extracting the correct extension number for the Long-stay Visa Section (regret that I no longer have this to hand). This section only seems to be open in the afternoons but they are very helpful and do speak English.

2. The RTE will not accept postal applications for O-A but it is perfectly OK to use a third party to present the papers and, subsequently, collect your passport, complete with that nice visa stamp. This can save a lot of time and expense if you are based somewhere out in the sticks.

One more thing. This has probably been covered before but don't try to get O-A from any UK Honorary Consulate as they are not allowed to issue them. The RTE is the only place that does this in the UK.

DM

Totally concur with what Lopburi has said.

The O-A route is intended for those planning to spend their retirement years in Thailand and is not that difficult to do once you have sorted out the requirements. The only small problem that I had, when I went this route, was tracking down a Notary Public in rural NW England - they are like hens' teeth! Not all solicitors can act as notaries. The rest was easy.

Two tips for those using the RTE in London:

1. Don't bother too much with their recorded information service - it costs a small fortune and doesn't actually have anything useful (for O-A anyway). Choose the appropriate automated response and you will get to speak to a human being. Then it's just a case of extracting the correct extension number for the Long-stay Visa Section (regret that I no longer have this to hand). This section only seems to be open in the afternoons but they are very helpful and do speak English.

2. The RTE will not accept postal applications for O-A but it is perfectly OK to use a third party to present the papers and, subsequently, collect your passport, complete with that nice visa stamp. This can save a lot of time and expense if you are based somewhere out in the sticks.

One more thing. This has probably been covered before but don't try to get O-A from any UK Honorary Consulate as they are not allowed to issue them. The RTE is the only place that does this in the UK.

DM

spot on information the only thing that i can say that i found out is that you can go to a solicitor who is a commissioner for oaths.We only have one public notary and i was given the exact wording that the RTE advise to be used which is on the Original documents

"I certify this document was seen at my office this DATE "and signed by solicitor underneath signature added Commissioner for oaths then offical stamp added.

That will be accepted at RTE.

On the copies it should say

"I certify this is a true copy of the original (the rest is the same as above.)

All our documents had this on them and were accepted.