Stunningly Interesting Meteorological Question And More!

sleepyjohn

Hi

After four years I have no idea of prevalent winds here in CM. Is there anyone of a meteorological bent who could tell me the likelihood of gusting rain from the the northeast quadrant, ie between 0 degrees and 90 degrees during the year as a whole. I need to know whether something that is overhung just a little on the east side will remain dry or how often it will get wet to decide if it needs screening.

Thanx v much

(Now wasn't that fun?)

And here's the more: Where's Sukkasem Rd where Silkworm Books is?

We have just entered the NE monsoon period, which does have winds predominatly from that direction, but little rain. You get cooler winds and lovely clear blue skies most of the time. But it might be wise to rig something that can protect whatever it is you are hanging up on that side of your house..? April brings rather sudden thunderstorms, from just about any direction. Can't enlighten you about the bookstore, I'm afraid..?

In the rainy season, stuff mostly comes from the South-West. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, because you want to be able to open some windows on that side at times when rain is NOT pooring down to cool down the house and blow all the hot air out in the late afternoon / evening.

In the cool season, winds come from the North East, though, as it's the dry season, there's only a couple days in the year that this also brings serious wind and/or rain. This usually only happens when the rainy season changes to dry, so somewhere around October or so. That's only very few days in the year.

But then hills, buildings and other factors may tweak wind direction a little bit. When I'm building my dream home I'll put down a wind-indicator there for a year first. Positioning your house is a very big part of keeping it comfortably cool without the need for (a lot of) airconditioning. Basically you want to get a breeze through, but the sun off your walls & windows.

Edited by chanchao

Thanx to both of you

I'll assume wetness will be rare with a one foot plus overhang 8 feet above the woodwork in question....OK?

As for Silkworm Sukkasem Rd still like to know where they said somewhere in the Nimmanhemin area.........

Edited by sleepyjohn

When a storm hits, nothing but a closed window will keep things dry. Earlier this year I got soaked 3m from the upstairs window, with a 1.3m overhang just above the window. The storm was arriving from the opposite direction, but did a very sudden 180 degree turn. Anything left outside will get wet under normal conditions.