Love At First Bite (bakery)

Ulysses G.

I am not sure why everyone in Bangkok know this place, but not a lot of people from Chiang Mai do.

It is over on the other side of the river on Soi 1, near The Dukes and is probably the best Western bakery in the North of Thailand. They have fresh rhubarb, apple, lemon, pumpkin pies every day that never even go in a refrigerator, as well as a bunch of other pies that do, a bunch of cakes, and tons of other deserts, all of good to excellent quality.

The also have macaroni and cheese and beef stew and a few other non-desert specialties.

It doesn't matter when you go there, the place is filled with Thais who love Western pastry and coffee and there is a line of cars from Bangkok out front all loading up on "to go" items to bring home.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I am not sure why everyone in Bangkok know this place, but not a lot of people from Chiang Mai do.

It is over on the other side of the river on Soi 1, near The Dukes and is probably the best Western bakery in the North of Thailand. They have fresh rhubarb, apple, lemon pies every day that never even go in a refrigerator, as well as a bunch of other pies that do, a bunch of cakes, and tons of other deserts, all of good to excellent quality.

The also have macaroni and cheese and beef stew and a few other non-desert specialties.

It doesn't matter when you go there, the place is filled with Thais who love Western pastry and coffee and there is a line of cars from Bangkok out front all loading up on "to go" items to bring home.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :o

It is over on the other side of the river on Soi 1, near The Dukes and is probably the best Western bakery in the North of Thailand.

The soi next to the CM Christian school? Closest one to Th Charoen Muang?

CB

If they are anywhere as expensive as Starbucks you will not see me there, my first Starbucks experience was in CM and I was horrified at the price for a very ordinary cup of coffee!!

Have to agree with you with that. When I was in CM in October I went to the zoo. Coming back it cost me 40 thb to get to the shopping mall on Huai Kaeo road and had food in the food court at a cost of 45thb looked around the shops and went into starbucks for a cup of coffee. And it cost 85thb for a mug of coffee. That was my one and will be only coffee I will ever have in starbucks

Two blondes walking down the river.One on one side, one on the other. One calls out to the other.." Hey..How do I get on the other side of the river?" The other blond replies..."Stupid, you are already on the other side!" This does apply to this thread but takes a little amount of thought

Two blondes walking down the river.One on one side, one on the other. One calls out to the other.." Hey..How do I get on the other side of the river?" The other blond replies..."Stupid, you are already on the other side!" This does apply to this thread but takes a little amount of thought

:o

We bow to your superior mental acuity. :o

I've been there a couple of times, IMHO it's hella expensive, and was good thie first time, and not the second.

I miss starbucks cream cheese cookies...

thats what i thought. not to mention, small pieces of cake too!.

i'll get my dose of cakes somewhere else thankyou. perhaps Upper Crust? :o

No need to bow, my friend...just my way of addressing incomplete directions. Plus I'm sure the relevance was "over some people heads" I still think since you have my Great Great Grandfathers moniker that we are probably related in some manner. Keep the smile

Actually The Duke's hasn't posted or advertised on TV at all. I - and some other fans - kept bringing their name up over and over as I do for a lot of places that I enjoy. A few people might be turned off by my rabid recommendations, but they would probably never hear of the place otherwise anyway and a lot of other people do try them out.

As far as prices go, Bake and Bite is undoubtedly cheaper (although I never buy a whole pie), but Love at First Bite is shooting more for people who want higher quality goods and it has a lot more choice. Bake and Bite is quite good, but they concentrate more on medium quality baked goods for a cheap price than the primo stuff, which is to be appreciated too. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

No need to bow, my friend...just my way of addressing incomplete directions.

Was assuming that most of us know where the Duke's is, which would explain the rest. :o

which duke's? the one on this side of the river or the one on that side of the river?

Great joke. Actually, though, after giving it a little thought, I came to the conclusion that, at least at the time made, it did not at all apply to this thread. :o

when some one said "go to the other side of the river," they failed to say what side they were on to begin with. So the blond joke just was blurted out. Wasn't trying to be malicious. Always since first grade have been in the habit of words just spilling out without thinking of the implications

when some one said "go to the other side of the river," they failed to say what side they were on to begin with. So the blond joke just was blurted out. Wasn't trying to be malicious. Always since first grade have been in the habit of words just spilling out without thinking of the implications

The instruction I saw, posted shortly before you shared your joke, was "Go over the (Thapae) bridge, turn right at first intersection . . . " After giving it a little bit of thought, as you suggested, I realized that that the instruction itself makes it clear which direction you must be traveling over the bridge to get there . . . :o

No need to bow, my friend...just my way of addressing incomplete directions.

Was assuming that most of us know where the Duke's is, which would explain the rest. :o

which duke's? the one on this side of the river or the one on that side of the river?

The Duke's in the Night Bazaar has higher prices, less choice (no specials), and a mandatory service charge. It is a place for tourists, not expats, so I would always refer to it as The Duke's in the Night Bazaar or the Duke's for Tourists. :D

The Duke's in the Night Bazaar has higher prices, less choice (no specials), and a mandatory service charge. It is a place for tourists, not expats, so I would always refer to it as The Duke's in the Night Bazaar or the Duke's for Tourists. :o

or for stupid expats :D

I agree, best baked goods in Chiang Mai. It's on the soi that leads to Ben Guest House, yes near the church. Down the soi next to what used to be called The Cottage (long before that, Chiang Mai Tea House, and now something like C Club I think). There is also a place of the same name on Nimanhemin Rd, coincidentally near Starbucks. I don't think it's the same folks though (haven't been in).

I agree, best baked goods in Chiang Mai. It's on the soi that leads to Ben Guest House, yes near the church. Down the soi next to what used to be called The Cottage (long before that, Chiang Mai Tea House, and now something like C Club I think). There is also a place of the same name on Nimanhemin Rd, coincidentally near Starbucks. I don't think it's the same folks though (haven't been in).

The people at the bakery must know about the other place with the same name. I stopped in today on UG's recommendation and had a great slice of pie, and noticed a sign on a door that said "Love at First Bite has no branches".