Chihuahua Again

About two weeks ago, the wife found what she thought was a flea on our female Chi', so I went to remove it and found it quite difficult to remove as if it was stuck to the head.

I finally wrenched it off with a rather loud shriek from the poor girl, the Chi' not the wife :o , although her reaction was not much better, I have since found out it was more than likely a tick, that these should not be removed in this fashion as it cross-drills its antennae into the head and if pulled off, the antennae can break off and cause infection.

Well, there is now a bump, a small bump, but a bump all the same, should I be concerned or not?

To put my mind at rest, if I don't hear to the contrary I will take her to the vet anyway as I am on holiday from Thursday and wont have it playing on my mind.

As a second question, what is the best way of getting rid of ticks?

How do they catch them in the first place?

This is there first and only one in over two years.

Cheers

Moss

Ticks are recognized as the body is 'loose' from the biody or head of the dog. You can move it with your fingers. If the bump is under the skin, it can be an infection, a pimple, a blockage skin pore with excess sebum or keratis, a wart, or a (benign or malignant) tumor.

As it is difficult to say what it exactly is over the net, I think it's best for easing your mind to pay the vet a quick visit and have it checked.

Removal of ticks is, IMO, not difficult at all. I normally pick them of with my fingers, but you can also use a tweezers or a special ticky thingy (forgot the name and have no clue if it's sold in Thailand). In order to remove it, you take the body of the tick with the tweezers or with your fingers and with a quick turn you pull it off. 9 out of 10 you get both body and head. On rare occasions the head remains in the body of the dog, which can give an infection. Just keep an eye on the spot where the tick was before.

Nienke

Frontline once a month seems to do the trick.

No ticks on my 3 muts since the oldest was a small puppy and I started using Frontline. And they spend a lot of time out of doors.

Others also swear by it.

To remove a tick, heat a tweezer by holding it in fire or flame, then immediately apply to the tick, this will make the tick let go and you can pull of the whole thing. (Can also hold a match directly to the tick to same effect but risk burning the dog in the process. Move fast with the tweezer so the\at the tip is still very hot when it touches the tick.)

Ticks are usually gotten from walking by brush, shrubbery etc where they are hiding.

Frontline, Revolution etc are all helpful to prevent

Removal of ticks is, IMO, not difficult at all. I normally pick them of with my fingers,

I have heard that aftershave on a cotton bud does the trick also.

Thanks Nienke

It may be Folliculitis. Try to apply it with Betadine. (It's good idea ,if you can shave hair around the lesion)

I think I will just see a vet, don't want to take a chance.

Thanks Bam

Frontline once a month seems to do the trick.

No ticks on my 3 muts since the oldest was a small puppy and I started using Frontline. And they spend a lot of time out of doors.

Others also swear by it.

This is the first time, but looks like the right option,

Thanks Mobi

Ticks are usually gotten from walking by brush, shrubbery etc where they are hiding.

I think this is the case too.

Thanks Sheryl

Good Luck

Moss