Whats Your Favorite Local Fruit?

sbk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know if Red Guava's (Thai Maroon) are grown in Thailand and available in Bkk? I only see the green/white ones.

Also, when are Star Fruit (Carambola) in season? I bought a dozen about a month ago and not seen since.

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!

One of my favorite things about Thailand is the abundance of so many varieties of fresh fruit for reasonable prices.

If I was pinned down and forced to choose only one, then it would likely be the Thai pineapple, saparot, สับปะรด. I can eat a whole one by myself in one sitting and come back for more.

I do not have a single favorite fruit.I enjoy all fruit.Here are some photos of some of the fruits that we do grow in our little garden.Except the durian that was bought.The white dragon fruit is not as sweet as the red but we do not have any of them right know.The farang is the biggest that we have ever grown.Two of the trees just decided to grow giant farangs this year.Tha jackfruit in the photo was the biggest one we have ever had at about 19kilo!We also grow 5 different types of bannans,can never have enough of them.And 3 types of mangos.Enjoy all fruit, it is good for your health. :o:D

post-14263-1238421782_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421796_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421806_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421817_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421831_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421849_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421859_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421870_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1238421879_thumb.jpg

Interesting. I just started a new thread about "what is this fruit?" Here there are many names I never heard of. Some people have done a great job describing but....... Someone posted a lot of nice pictures, great but I don't know what is what. I would love to try all of them. Someone asked about star fruit in Bangkok, I have seen them at some food stalls on the side streets.

If anyone is interested in educating me please send pics and a description to my thread. It would be greatly appreciated not only by me.

Thanks

Mangoes, mangosteen & lychees.

BTW, at the moment, there are small mangoes, yellowy - green, soooo sweet. Almost like liquid sherbet. Does anyone know what they are called in Thai?

Mat Baang.

So many luscious fruits to choose from. Lychee and orange Jackfruit are the favs though. 'And Durian for that "brie" moment.

Anyone tried boiling Jackfruit seeds? Delicious.....nutty, chestnutty.

Regards.

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any info on Lychee, Lomyai, and Durian causing sweats? My wife says not to eat too much as they commonly cause it. I had a whole bunch of Lomyai last night (out right now and delicious... light brown and it has a dark red hard seed inside) and woke up in the middle of the night all sweaty. This never happens to me so it has to be the berries.

No poll, too many to list.

I love mangosteens and lamyai. Mangoes come a close 3rd.

Don't like durian but my dad loves the stuff (of course, he also eats stinky limberger cheese so anything is possible with that man!)

whats your favorite?

Mangosteen

Had never heard of the Pomello before coming to Thailand,but I am now addicted to them and have some each day. Durian,,,,cant make up my mind if I enjoy them.

Mangosteen....far too sweet for me.

Mango....on occasions.

one time in Indonesia a GF revived me from fever and delirium with lotsa mangoes...now in Thailand I always eat lots when they are in season...

never told the wife about the indo GF...

in Nicaragua starfruit is called melocoton and the juice is a popular mixer with Flor de Cana rum...must be a lot of nicas around with bad kidneys...

-Mamuang

-Ma Phrao, at least one everyday when in Thailand

-Makham golden sweet tamarind from Petchaboon, always have on hand, eat everyday

-Som the green skin one with the dark orange very sweet flesh

-Turian hate the smell but love the taste

-Khluay

-Saparot

-Ma La kor ripe papaya and green papaya chunk with fish sauce and chilies

• 1 month later...

:blink:

I like those Rambuthan in syrup stuffed with Pineapple inside.

I'm also a sucker for sticky rice and ripe Mango.

Then I happen to be a Durian man. I know it smells like a sewer when it's opened...but I like Durian anyhow.

I love the "mooncake" season when you can get those Mooncakes with Durian and fruit paste inside. Yes, they are fattening, but I love them.

:blink:

Far to many to choose from to pick a favourite, but there is rarely a day when I don't eat some Pomelo for breakfast.

I always hated starfruit before I moved to Thailand. The ones that are imported to the UK are so sour and that's all I ever knew. But the starfruit on the tree in my garden tastes more like a sweet pear and I seem to be living off them at the moment. There's something very satisfying about sitting in your garden eating some freshly picked fruit with a pen knife!