Appropriate Wedding Gift?

FolkGuitar

I've been invited to a wedding of two young people. I have had a friendly acquaintance with the girl for the past 5 years or so. She was employed by a tourist venue that I used for my classes and I'd see her there and chat for a few minutes, several times a week. He intended I've only met twice, and spoken to for a total of perhaps 15 minutes. She is Thai, he is Japanese, the wedding will be Lana style.

I'd like to attend the wedding and party, and would like to bring a gift. But I have idea of what is appropriate in Thailand in this situation. As the groom is Japanese, the norm there for a wedding is to give an envelope with cash. From those of you who have been involved with this sort of situation, any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

All the Thai weddings I have been to here cash has been given .

If you are worried though, why not ask your friend what she/they would like.

Thanks for your input. Out of 64 people who read the post, you were the only one to give any sort of answer. Interesting. Thanks again.

Use the envelope that was used to deliver your invitation as it has your name on the front. Put some cash inside. There will be boxes for this when you arrive. After the wedding the name and cash are recorded. How much depends on how close you are to the bride and groom and the 'wedding's' social position. IE a village affair just a hundred is around normal for a Thai but the Empress or Imperial Mae Ping 500-1000 baht is expected. The money helps to pay for the cost of the wedding. This is just my personal experience of my own wedding and attending many others.

Use the envelope that was used to deliver your invitation as it has your name on the front. Put some cash inside. There will be boxes for this when you arrive. After the wedding the name and cash are recorded. How much depends on how close you are to the bride and groom and the 'wedding's' social position. IE a village affair just a hundred is around normal for a Thai but the Empress or Imperial Mae Ping 500-1000 baht is expected. The money helps to pay for the cost of the wedding. This is just my personal experience of my own wedding and attending many others.

Fantastic! This is exactly the information that I needed. I know that cash is always welcomed by young people. How many toasters can they use? But I had no idea of the price range. For the Japanese groom, in Japan he'd normally expect about $100 USD from acquaintances and up to $1000 or more from friends or family. For these kids I have no problem with giving 1,000 baht to get them started even though they are just acquaintances. 1,000 baht won't kill me. 5,000 might... :o Thanks for the guidelines!