Flipflops

Ping

In February this year I went on a weekend shopping trip to Dusseldorf (Ryanair cheapie from UK). my daughter insisted that as I was retiring to Thailand, I go with a decent pair of sandals. Ended up purchasing a pair of Birkenstocks from one of their shops in the Old Stadt.

Cost a whopping 96 Euro's (65GBP).

Since living here have only worn them on a few occasions - visits to Bangkok etc.

My trusty favorites are those what previous posters call Crocs, I just call them clogs, price about 99 baht from local market and around the house/back yard, the trusty Thai flip flop, cost 39 baht. I suppose my birkies are now my Sunday best shoes.

This week I was sat in my local Bangkok bank branch and had to wait for a long time as visiting UK friends were doing currency exchange. It was Monday and a busy day for local Thai's. I passed away the time by mentally taking a note of what the locals had on their feet. Flip flops(thongs) seemed to be the number 1 choice easily.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None taken meatgrowler, thats why I wear them at home :D

But I said the new styles are less hideous. If I want fashion then I'll go for something a bit higher end than that. But then, I am a woman and realize that fashion and comfort rarely go together :o

The new styles look ok to me. I would still wear them even if they look like a block of cheese. They are damm comfortable.

My wife has three different pair(colors) so she styling. $30.00 US per pair but worth it to me.

PKG

High end, go for Clarks. World class, you'll feel great every time you put them on, if you can forget the price. Available at dept. stores.

Lower, go for Findig. Good quality, often on sale for around B700. I've had a couple of pairs of these, like them. Buy at Findig leather shops around.

Fake Kitos and fake Dr. Scholls are found in various Thai markets. Look cheap, are cheap, and very appropriate for showering. Certainly more comfortable than the usual B20 long taew thaet that low class Thais usually wear.

Vinyl discount store (Lotus etc) sandals usually break quickly. Never like the quality. Had some, won't buy again.

For usual wear around town, though, I've learned from experience that it's just not safe to wear sandals, no matter their comfort. Now I always wear light hiking boots for protection and have been glad on several occasions that I do. The sidewalks/roads are so bad, so much junk around to trip over or stub your toes on, so easy to twist your ankle--'specially after you've quaffed a few--so easy for a car or bike to run over your foot (happened to me, happened to a friend as well), so easy for a fat tourist to waddle over your foot. Maybe it's worth the risk for you, but it's no longer for me, unless I'm taking a short standard trip to the corner shop.

And if you drive a motorbike OR ride on the back of one, don't even THINK of wearing sandals. Trust me. I see many stupid farangs doing so; I see them with damaged feet in hospital waiting rooms too. Just a few weeks ago my girlfriend and I were riding in traffic when another bike, filtering between two cars, hit us in the side--not hard enough to knock us down, fortunately--and hit exactly on her foot. She was so lucky to have been wearing hiking boots (we both wear them now), not the usual Thai sandals. Even so, she hurt for days.

Edited by JSixpack

I go through a pair of thongs (flipflops) every month or so. I buy the el cheapo (B200) Diesel ones because they are comfortable. The problem is that they can break at the most inconvenient of times. Does anyone have recommendations for durable ones that are comfortable and available either in Th or AU?
KITO thai company ,.cheap and good,.

I go through a pair of thongs (flipflops) every month or so. I buy the el cheapo (B200) Diesel ones because they are comfortable. The problem is that they can break at the most inconvenient of times. Does anyone have recommendations for durable ones that are comfortable and available either in Th or AU?

Teva sandals without doubt though I keep a pair of Black ADDA Lite for formal occasions.

i bought a pair of aerosoft flip flops in the market (the ones that have a footprint in them) and they lasted me for a year and a half before someone stole them at a party. definitely recommend those.

i am stocking up on havaianas since i am in argentina. they are $10us here.

i don't like crocs either, refuse to wear them.

Aawwww can ya grab me a pair of yellow,and a pair of brown...with flags on us 10/11....ill pay ya in samui...big thanks :o

Mephisto from France makes the best sandals & shoes, but expensive & I think not available in Thailand. I prefer lace up shoes to wear outside the house. To many broken sidewalks & other walking hazards for sandals. Sturdy leather boots best for bush wacking & riding motorcycles.

Mephisto from France makes the best sandals & shoes, but expensive & I think not available in Thailand. I prefer lace up shoes to wear outside the house. To many broken sidewalks & other walking hazards for sandals. Sturdy leather boots best for bush wacking & riding motorcycles.

Don't buy the cheap Chinese flip flops like they sell at Wal-Mart.

See graphic photos.

http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart2.htm

Rainbow...from california...life guarantee. my last pair worked for abut 10 years. around hundred dollars us, absolutely the best sandal made

seconded.

And they'll mold to your feet and fit like gloves. I remember my pair being closer to thirty usd, though

See graphic photos.

That is fuuucking gross! *projectile vomits*

Rainbow...from california...life guarantee. my last pair worked for abut 10 years. around hundred dollars us, absolutly the best sandal made

Been meaning to get a pair for ages.. Brother has them..

Reef, Oakley (leather ones, not the cheapie plastics they are making now) or other good brand last years. I always pick up a few pairs whenever I visit bali.

Crocs look like sh!t and they make your feet smell.

When I see people wearing Crocs, I know immediately that we have nothing in common, and that we could never be friends or have any meaningful kind of relationship. They come in every color imaginable yet look bad with every other article of clothing ever created. The only thing that goes with Crocs is social ostracism.

ha ha ha.. Superb !!

And agreed.

from the big bins fulla mixed plastic sandals

Same bins at Big C are full of Adda flip-flops. But you have to dig really deep to find a size 9/41! :o

Try finding a 45 (US 12 I think)..

Shoe buying in Thailand is more about what they have than what I want.

Having spent most of my life in Hawaii [the land of flipflops] i have become somewhat of an expert on many brands and agree that Scotts used to be my favorite, but found a local brand that outlast scotts. not available in superstores or shoe shops, but in local thai markets and the brand name is 'satelite'....look like scotts and wear longer for only 59bhatt. i bring them back as gifts when i return to the islands and others agree that they are the best.

I wish I could find a pair to fit, I wear a size 14 shoe. It's a problem finding a pair that I like in the US, the land of big feet, so its impossible or near so in Thailand. I did have some made in Chiang Mai some years ago, they put them on a size 13 sole, but they worked well enough.

See graphic photos.

I feel for you, that is pretty rude looking.

They must have used some kind of muriatic acid(time released to dissolve your feet after purchase. Scotts are made in China to, but sell for $20.00+ at Walmart. The only burn you can get from them are if your feet are real white & your they are not used to sun & stay out to long with them on.(the sunburn of course is around the straps!) or if you bought them the wrong size. I hope Walmart can do better than that. seems the U.S. companies think that since we are not at home, we do not exist. I stay away from the cheap brands as I am an avid hiker mountain climber & hate when the strap pulls out & your feet goes into lava, bedrock glass & other hideous hazards. OUCH!!!!!! :o

See graphic photos.

They must have used some kind of muriatic acid(time released to dissolve your feet after purchase. Scotts are made in China to, but sell for $20.00+ at Walmart. The only burn you can get from them are if your feet are real white & your they are not used to sun & stay out to long with them on.(the sunburn of course is around the straps!) or if you bought them the wrong size. I hope Walmart can do better than that. seems the U.S. companies think that since we are not at home, we do not exist. I stay away from the cheap brands as I am an avid hiker mountain climber & hate when the strap pulls out & your feet goes into lava, bedrock glass & other hideous hazards. OUCH!!!!!! :o

Its also a Hoax e-mail that has been going around. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/flipflop.asp

Edited by skipvice

I bought a pair of quicksilver thongs in a surf shop about 2 yrs ago. Still going strong. Try some of the surf outlets in Bangkok or Phuket or maybe the bigger sports shoe stores. I got mine in Phuket, still cheaper than oz but expensive for Thai. I think Billabong do a thong, they are pretty good. You want find the quality in the markets.

The best flop flps are "Reef" I will explain why, the rubber used is the softest however the sole is hard this means the shoe moulds to your feet.

They are not cheap , but they last a long time are very comfortable compared to the Brazilian sandal people rave about they are 100% better.

If you try then you will never wear another flip flop, about £20.)) very cheap for what they are.

The best flop flps are "Reef" I will explain why, the rubber used is the softest however the sole is hard this means the shoe moulds to your feet.

They are not cheap , but they last a long time are very comfortable compared to the Brazilian sandal people rave about they are 100% better.

If you try then you will never wear another flip flop, about £20.)) very cheap for what they are.

Just returned from Bali with 4 pairs of reefs and 1 pair of quickies..

Set for a couple of years :o

See graphic photos.

Its also a Hoax e-mail that has been going around. http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/flipflop.asp

It is entirely possible that this is a disgruntled employee that can work any photo shop program well , But a slip and fall on the glass of water you are drinking would net you far more in a lawsuit that would require extensive testing on a product. a slip & fall they just run the video cam of you trying the shoes on & slipping(with or without a slippery surface) & it is a done deal on your way to a settlement. and would probably be more money & unchallenged in court in the U.S. I did however not see any full names used....Hmmmmmm

See graphic photos.

You say its a hoax, then link to snopes which after research says its true !!!

• 6 months later...
i bought a pair of aerosoft flip flops in the market (the ones that have a footprint in them) and they lasted me for a year and a half before someone stole them at a party. definitely recommend those.

i am stocking up on havaianas since i am in argentina. they are $10us here.

i don't like crocs either, refuse to wear them.

Aawwww can ya grab me a pair of yellow,and a pair of brown...with flags on us 10/11....ill pay ya in samui...big thanks :D

I also bought 2 pairs of Aerosoft flip flops in Thailand when I travelled there a few years ago from Australia. They were the most comfortable flip flops I have ever worn. I virtually lived in them. Now a few years later, they are in need of replacing. The only problem is that I need to know where in Bangkok I can buy them, and how many Baht per pair. :o