Doi Inthanon Free!

silverhawk_usa

For father's day and the King's birthday today we decided to take the extended family to Doi Inthanon. 5 adults and one child loaded into the pickup. All Thai except for me.

At the entrance a couple vans were stopped along with a group of motorcycles. I drove around and through the gate stopping on the other side. My g/f got out and went to the window to pay the fee. She had my Thai drivers license with her. I had received Thai prices before but due to recent threads I expected to pay full price.

She quickly came back to the car and said "Because you have a Thai license it is free for you the same as Thai". She didn't ask for further explanation so I can only assume this was something special for today. Had a nice day at the top of the mountain and it was not too crowded.

Yup, just tell them you're on your way to Mae Chaem.

Fine, tell them this but only if you don't want to go to the summit or the 2 Chedi's..

If you know DI, then you should also know that there is a 2nd checkpoint at the Mae Chaem turn off..

Fine, tell them this but only if you don't want to go to the summit or the 2 Chedi's..

If you know DI, then you should also know that there is a 2nd checkpoint at the Mae Chaem turn off..

When did they move the checkpoint? It used to be a couple hundred metres before the turnoff to Mae Chaem, which always seemed a bit strange. I've approached from Mae Chaem or Mae Wang before to make it a more interesting drive.

Ah yes indeed. Coming FROM Mae Chaem you could always do a left. Not sure if the checkpoint was moved recently.

When did they move the checkpoint? It used to be a couple hundred metres before the turnoff to Mae Chaem, which always seemed a bit strange. I've approached from Mae Chaem or Mae Wang before to make it a more interesting drive.

It hasn't been moved. It is and always has been "a couple of hundred metres before the turn off to Mae Chaem" (less really) Nothing strange there...

But if Chanchao decides to tell the Park Officials at this 2nd Gate 'i no pay' cos he's 'going to Mae Chaem', and then blatently drives straight by the turn off and proceeds up DI to the summit..!

They'd be in their pick up and on his tail quicker than a squirrel up an oak tree..

They're not stupid. That is why there's a 2nd gate at this turn off..

As for coming from Mae Chaem, well.. if your only motivation for this is to avoid paying, you've got a one heck of a long long drive.... (especially if you're coming from CM) worth it ? Nah...

I was up there on Fathers day as well . I was with 3 other farang , I was the only one with a licence. The farangs had to fork out 400 THB and I got the same nice lady it seems who told me " it was free today for me " .

I was jumping for joy , I did save 20 THB.

Needless to say the other farang didnt share my happiness.