Thailand Elite

abbas, I flew my space shuttle to Venus today and some hot martian babes wanted to race me to Pluto. Unfortunately they won because they know this secret shortcut through a worm hole.

They still wanted to sleep with me but it turned out our anatomy is not compatible so I didn't get any, good to hear you are though.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

abbas, I flew my space shuttle to Venus today and some hot martian babes wanted to race me to Pluto. Unfortunately they won because they know this secret shortcut through a worm hole.

They still wanted to sleep with me but it turned out our anatomy is not compatible so I didn't get any, good to hear you are though.

Is Abbas smoking or drinking Orion...or is the gear injectable :o

I understand from an informed source that a total of only nine (9) Elite cards have actually been sold. All the rest were given away.

Assuming your source is correct about that number, two of the nine have thus far stepped forward. Are the other seven lurking and following this thread...?

well RDN, falong, Orion76.

well i dont care you guys race in space or are trolls or bed buddies lol

who gives $hit. anyway can someone tell me where to get these cards maybe i might get to pull a card for free like the rest of 4991 of them :o

P.S

get jiggi wiggi with it.

Reading previous replies it seems that peope like Lop are just plain jealous. If somebody wants to spend $25,000 on getting a five year visa, then so be it. Maybe there are other ways to stay here for the same period that works out cheaper, but it wouldn't be as convenient, not even mentioning the airport service, etc. I personally wouldn't spend the money with my present financial status but probably would if I was loaded.

If somebody wants to spend a 100,000 on a car, it's up to them and other people should keep their pathetic opinions to theirselves. People that get on the bandwagon and suggest giving the money to charity obviously haven't got any decent money of their own and can't think of a better retort!

With reference to a previous post; Malaysia may have a better economy and infracstructure etc, but who the ###### wants to live there? Malaysians have nothing on Thais!

With reference to a previous post; Malaysia may have a better economy and infracstructure etc, but who the ###### wants to live there? Malaysians have nothing on Thais!

arrrrrrr...

i second that motion.

nothing good to say about Malays.

stab you in the back for a ringget.

which is sad

Although the number of Elite cards that have been sold is very small, perhaps this is because their sales department doesn't reply to sales enquiries!! I asked about buying this card months ago (for similar reasons to Orion76), but they didn't even bother to reply to me :o

I personally wouldn't spend the money with my present financial status but probably would if I was loaded.

I think we all would, yes? My earlier point was if you got a million to blow on a "visa" card, it would seem that person is in a position to appropriately try and assist Thailand through a suitable charity. Is there something wrong in that assessment?

btw, whether it's 9 cards sold or 90, or even 400... don't lose sight of the fact that Toxin started this scheme anticipating sales of 1,000,000 cards to be sold.

one more btw, are you guys trying to say "mosque"?

btw, whether it's 9 cards sold or 90, or even 400... don't lose sight of the fact that Toxin started this scheme anticipating sales of 1,000,000 cards to be sold.

Did a journalist say he said that or did you read that on some forum?

one more btw, are you trying to say "FACT"? English is not my native language and my spelling may not be perfect but I'm pretty sure the word FACT means something else :o

The Elite Card program was launched as Mr. Big's brainchild and his intended target was that one million cards would be sold in five years, adding one trillion baht to the Thai government coffers. This was in all the newspapers at the time...

To tell the truth, I was very surprised that the Elite Card program actually made it past the talking stage and that any cards were sold, let alone nine cards or 400 cards or whatever the real number is. So many of these Thai government pronouncements never amount to anything and I genuinely thought that the Elite Cards would be yet another example of a vapour program.

Case in point: a few months after Mr. Big came to power in 2001, there was a tourism meeting held at which Thaksin made the pronouncement that both Chiang Mai and Phuket would be made duty-free zones within ninety days time (presumably to compete for tourists with Langkawi in Malaysia which has such status). Not "we're thinking about doing this" or "this is an idea is worth considering" or some such, this plan was presented as being a done deal, get ready for some duty-free shopping! Needless to say that as of September 2004 not another peep has been heard about this occurring. :o

Quite honestly, I suspect the Elite card is a business venture of a friend of Thaksin, who probably asked him to back the idea to give the program legitimacy.

If he said a million cards would be sold that was more likely a marketing ploy than an honest prediction.

A favor for a favor is how business is done here.

...  So many of these Thai government pronouncements never amount to anything and I genuinely thought that the Elite Cards would be yet another example of a vapour program....

Isn't this how politics often works in the UK? A policy proposal is "leaked" to the press and depending on how much ridicule it gets, it is either confirmed as policy or it is described as "an idea floated by a 'think-tank' and is not government policy". Seemed to happen a lot 3 or 4 years ago.

one more btw, are you trying to say "FACT"? English is not my native language and my spelling may not be perfect but I'm pretty sure the word FACT means something else :o

Ovenman covered the first question quite well. Thanks, btw, to Ovenman.

For the second, I can appreciate now that English is not your 1st language. I'm not sure what you were trying to point out as your spelling and my spelling were the same, but for your benefit, I enclose the following from www.dictionary.com:

"fact" n. Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact.

As for Toxin, his entire term of office has been nothing more than a "marketing ploy." :D

The Elite Card is a product aimed at wealthy people.

One should not forget that for some people "one million bath is not a lot of money".

For this kind of people (those who don't care about the price), the Elite Card is an interesting option that will allow them to spend as much time as they want in the country. Because, indeed, the 5yrs renewable visa is the only serious incentive.

For those wealthy millionaires who want to stay in Thailand, it eliminates the fastidious process of creating a (often fake) company in order to have a business visa. And, of course, these people want to enjoy Thailand, not work here.

So, I do think the visa is a very good selling point of the Elite Card.

Appart from the visa concerns, I would certainly be afraid to put a property in the name of Elite card company. Since it is a government owned company it does scare me even more. And, unfortunatelly, putting your house in the name of a Thai partner is as dangerous, if not even more. But lets see in the future.

Then come other "little things":

The "welcome, handling and pick up" at the airport : Absolutely great!!! No need to speak more about it, they do it perfect.

The "heavy discounts" at well known up market hotels: Not that interesting, you will get the same conditions (or better) with your Amex Platinum (if you have one).

The Thai Airways offers : A bit of discounts, buy one get one free... Not that interesting, but ok, if they give, take it.

And so on and on with the free massage, free spa, etc...

The thing I notice with this Elite product is that the company advertises a lot the "heavy discounts" linked to the Card. Doing this, they probably miss the attention of the people they look for: The millionaires.

If you have a million to put on the table for a card, you don't really care about discounts.

They try to create a "millionaires club" in Thailand but seem to be anable to attract them because they go on the wrong track and advertise themselves in the wrong way. This is probably linked to they Thai mentality. Thais LOVE money and probably think every foreigner think the same. But, again, lets see in the future...

In other word, if someone is wealthy enough to pay one million bath for a visa, he should do it. And together with the visa he will receive some extra "little benefits".

Gerry.

If you have a million to put on the table for a card, you don't really care about discounts.

They try to create a "millionaires club" in Thailand but seem to be anable to attract them because they go on the wrong track and advertise themselves in the wrong way. This is probably linked to they Thai mentality. Thais LOVE money and probably think every foreigner think the same. But, again, lets see in the future...

In other word, if someone is wealthy enough to pay one million bath for a visa, he should do it. And together with the visa he will receive some extra "little benefits".

Gerry.

I have been following this thread and wondered when someone would make this point.And now Gerry has (I think), and I fully concur.The sheer vulgarity of the concept beggars belief.As though any substantially wealthy guy gives a rat's arse about the "prestige" being conveyed by being part of this club.People like Orion have taken a hard look at the pros and cons, and have concluded it makes sense for them and I respect this,However there is something marvellously Thai(well lets be frank,Thai-Chinese) about the elite card, the combination of superficiality in concept, misconceived concept of what constitutes "prestige" and of course the spectacular vulgarity.I really don't think any other country could have come up with it.

Boris is quite right with his comments. The Elite card does have some attractions for westerners (the 5 year visa etc etc), but it is essentially a card for the 'big-face' Asians. And that is where it has been the most successful (if selling a few cards can be classed as a success).

To pay 1 million baht for this card is vulgar in most people's eyes. I wish there was a similar card where the purchase money was used for the benefit of needy Thais. I think more wealthy westerners would be willing to purchase this type of card if they saw the money doing something useful, as opposed to lining some rich Thai's pockets...