Affirmation To Marry

I managed to get my "Affirmation to Marry" letter from my embassy and I then got it translated at a nearby lawyers office. But I'm not sure if the translation will be acceptable by the MFA. It's practically just a direct translation on a regular sheet of paper. Does it have to be on a company letterhead? Are any company stamps needed?

I'm thinking about getting my wife to retype it and print it onto a scanned copy of my embassies letterhead. While I was at my embassy, I also got a proof of income letter. What else would one need to maybe change visa types in Bangkok and then apply for a 1 year extension?

Unless things have changed it has to be done by an official translator that is registered with the MFA - they have a list of signatures and compare to confirm it is real. It should have been done on the official letterhead of the translation service.

My experience dates back a dozen years but if you showed up with something like that it would have to be re-translated before being accepted for registration - and there were people taking them and making fast 30 minute runs to do so for those in that situation - but that was in old location (outside plaza type office) and not sure they would have access to the new facilities.

What else is a laundry list - marriage cirtificate, id card, home register, passport, arrival card, photos together in/out of house, copies of everything, perhaps special requirements for proof of money transfers, bank account, letter of account balance. You should check with the office you will use and they can probably provide a current list of what they want.

Thanks Lopburi3,

The lawyer did sign the paper, but it doesn't look very official. You know how Thais love their letterheads and rubber stamps.

The docs for the visa won't be a problem, excepts photos of a house as we have an apartment. Would pics of us inside and outside our apartment, be acceptable?

Last question, which MFA office must we use? Their site lists locations of at least 4 offices in Bangkok.

I managed to get my "Affirmation to Marry" letter from my embassy and I then got it translated at a nearby lawyers office. But I'm not sure if the translation will be acceptable by the MFA. It's practically just a direct translation on a regular sheet of paper. Does it have to be on a company letterhead? Are any company stamps needed?

I'm thinking about getting my wife to retype it and print it onto a scanned copy of my embassies letterhead. While I was at my embassy, I also got a proof of income letter. What else would one need to maybe change visa types in Bangkok and then apply for a 1 year extension?

As you have to go to Laksi and the Department of consullar affairs to have the translation legalized anyway, you can use the translation agency right across the road from the department. There is a huge sign, in front of some wooden huts. There will be some charming girls inside, that will translate it in 20-30 minutes, while giving you a cup of tea. Costs 300 baht. With offcial translations stamp and all. Then it's just across the road and hand in the translated paper for legalization. Takes about 2-3 hours for a fee of 800 baht. If you have time to wait, they will mail it to your girls home adress. cost is 450 baht including postage and enevelope that they provide.

No need for a lawyer...

Hi guys sorry to hijack, but i think it's related.

Im also regstering my marriage here in thailand and i already have a affirmation of marriage, but i was told i am required to produce a Certificate of No-criminal Offence Certificate from my home country, and here i searched for the application conditions.

http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/cert_issued.htm

1 of the points mentioned :

>>

Documentary proof from the immigration authority requiring the certificate. (A print out of the application requirements is not acceptable.)

now im lost here, how or where do i actually get a document(if there's such) and what do i say?

any help would be much appreciated :o

I went embassy official transaltor then Laksi all one morning

Mrs also got a new passport while we had lunch all in about 8k more than half about 4500 was embassy letter

Skytrain to Mochit then cab is fastest way to this HUGE office not far from D Muang and plenty of cabs lurking to retyrn

Chok dee

Who told you that you needed such a document? It seems they will have to put it in writing for you to obtain if indeed they require it. Have you asked your Embassy about this "requirement"?

yup my lawyer told me about it, and she told me that it's required to prove that im crime free or so it seems.

I would have your finance ask her local district office - unless there has been a very recent change the affirmation document from your Embassy should be the only requirement other than passport. Below is quote of the official Public Service Manual currently on the web:

Marriage

Marriage Registration

Regulations

1. A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.

2. Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

3. Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).

4. The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

5. Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

6. A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

* Has given birth to a child.

* Remarrying the same person.

* Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

* Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

7. No service fee is required whatsoever.

Required Documents

1. Identification Cards of both parties.

2. The House Registration Certificates of both parties.

3. If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

* A copy of their passport.

* A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Procedures

1. Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

2. Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

3. If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

4. If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 200 baht is required.

Got married in October. The ONLY thing you need is a translation of the affirmation to marriage. And get the translation legalized. They will not even ask for other papers except you passport at the amphur. Your bride has to show her ID card and tabien ban, thats all. Unless she has been married before, then she nned divorce papers or death cerificate of her former husband.

Oh yeah and to get it legalized, they of course will want a copy of your passport...

Edited by Gimbo

Phew, thank God. I'm going to get my letter legalized at the MFA on tuesday and I will post back here on how it goes. After I get the letter legalized, then I will let the "Mrs to be" decide on a good day to go to the Amphur to actually get married (Well, sign the papers).

Lopburi3, I have one last question.

After getting married, can I get a 60 day extension on any visa? Or does it have to be a Non-O? I understand they will only issue this extension once, but I was just wondering if there are any specific visa requirements.

Lopburi3, I have one last question.

After getting married, can I get a 60 day extension on any visa? Or does it have to be a Non-O? I understand they will only issue this extension once, but I was just wondering if there are any specific visa requirements.

I got a 60 day extension on my single entry 60 day tourist visa one month ago :-)

And yes it's only given once after marriage.

You need to bring your marriage certificate, copies of her tabien ban, copy of her ID card and copy of your passport,including visa pages, and she will have to fill in a form notifying that you stay in her residence. + 2 passport pictures.

Edited by Gimbo

OK, got my letters legalized by the MFA today. Totally painless. Arrived at 10am and was out at 12 with the documents.

On a side note, the MFA wants to see the original Affidavit form from your Embassy as well as the "Affirmation to Marry" letter. You will need to get both translated.

question on the affirmation of marriage, i'm bringing it tomorrow to the MFA (singapore) to endorse and after that what do i need to do?

i know i have to get it translated to thai language.

Do i bring it to the SIngapore embassy in bangkok to translate or what?

We really do not know what you have as the paper is normally issued from your Embassy in Thailand - you then have that paper translated into Thai and register it with the Thai MFA here in Bangkok. Once that is done you take it to a district office and register your marriage.

Have you asked your Embassy here in Thailand what is required? Perhaps they use (but that should not require Singapore MFA registration) or maybe you just have that document translated and register it with Thai MFA.

i do have here with me an attachment which was a list of documents provided by the Singapore Embassy in bangkok.

however im unable to attach it right now (office computor's restriction)

i'll post it up here once i get back from work :o

PS: that also where i got that question about the Certification of No Criminal conviction, which left a few TVster lost

will post it up later.

OK. Singapore obviously has much more paperwork requirements than many other countries. I did not see any requirement to have your documents registered with the MFA in Singapore (or did I miss that among all the others) but if there are it most likely means they will be presented to Thai authorities along with your Embassy letter and have to be translated/registered here also. It appears you present this laundry list of items to your Embassy and they will then issue you the letter that is required by Thai authorities and you translate/register that as your final step before visiting the District Office for registration of marriage.

OK. Singapore obviously has much more paperwork requirements than many other countries. I did not see any requirement to have your documents registered with the MFA in Singapore (or did I miss that among all the others) but if there are it most likely means they will be presented to Thai authorities along with your Embassy letter and have to be translated/registered here also. It appears you present this laundry list of items to your Embassy and they will then issue you the letter that is required by Thai authorities and you translate/register that as your final step before visiting the District Office for registration of marriage.

yes, i called the embassy and spoke to a mr chee, he confirms that we (singaporeans) require EVERY single clause and documents in order for them to issue me the affidavit.

as i already have the documents now in singapore, my next step is to bring it to them (originals would suffice, no need to endorsed by singapore's MFA) but again i was wondering if it;s possible to get to the embassy to get the affidavit, get the affidavit translated and den endorsed by the MFA all in a same day? anyone tried?

the embassy told me they didnt have a list of autorised translators so i would have to get my own. anyone has a recommandation, that is near to either the embassy or MFA.

thanks!

Got married in October. The ONLY thing you need is a translation of the affirmation to marry. And get the translation legalized. They will not even ask for other papers except you passport at the amphur. Your bride has to show her ID card and tabien ban, thats all. Unless she has been married before, then she nned divorce papers or death cerificate of her former husband.

Oh yeah and to get it legalized, they of course will want a copy of your passport...

I married in November. The US embassy had zero interest in even looking at my divorce decree (from USA)...It was just another form to fill out that was very similar to the first one. I took both to a translation service at Ploen Chit & Wireless. 3000 baht he translated everything and took it to the government offices out in Chaeng Wattana. We picked up the docs back at his office and went to Bangrak to "make the paper".

All told I spent probably one hour at the USA Embassy, one hour at the translator's office, one hour at the Amphur in Bangrak.

For 3000 baht (which included translation) why would I want to go out to Chaeng Wattana and hassle with that?

• 2 weeks later...

Got my translations done at that building, quick service and cheap.

Quick question for Lop. My mate tied the knot last year and he is on a Tourist visa with a 30 day extension. Could he get the 60 day extension on top of this?

Ps. I managed to extend my non-B for 60 days without any problems, thanks to all the info I got here. What I needed.

1. Copy of passport, visa and entry stamp, departure card

2. Copy of marriage certificate, wifes ID card, tabien bahn (She still hasn't updated it)

3. Completed application form