Replacement Of Lost Passport With Uk Ilr

How does a Thai national with indefinite leave to remain in the UK get back home to the UK if her passport is stolen? Does she get a replacement sticker (carnet?) for her replacement passport from the UK consular section here? At the very least, the airline will need to see some evidence that UK immigration will admit her.

How does a Thai national with indefinite leave to remain in the UK get back home to the UK if her passport is stolen? Does she get a replacement sticker (carnet?) for her replacement passport from the UK consular section here? At the very least, the airline will need to see some evidence that UK immigration will admit her.

She needs a new passport or a Certificate of Identity from the Thai MFA or a Thai Embassy or Consulate if she is abroad. She needs a British Embassy to reissue a new sticker to evidence her status in the UK. Without that, no airline will uplift her.

She needs a new passport or a Certificate of Identity from the Thai MFA or a Thai Embassy or Consulate if she is abroad. She needs a British Embassy to reissue a new sticker to evidence her status in the UK. Without that, no airline will uplift her.

Thank you for the information so far.

What evidence or information would the embassy need? Ideally they shouldn't need more than to be told various serial numbers to cross-connect the information the information the UK Immigration and Nationality Department hold, but I don't know what evidence would be required because of any anti-fraud tests that would have to be passed. I wouldn't want to have to return home on my own to fetch the information or documents.

What evidence or information would the embassy need? Ideally they shouldn't need more than to be told various serial numbers to cross-connect the information the information the UK Immigration and Nationality Department hold, but I don't know what evidence would be required because of any anti-fraud tests that would have to be passed. I wouldn't want to have to return home on my own to fetch the information or documents.

Call your Embassy and find out. Full contact information is HERE

Where is she located right now ? That'll kinda help a bit.

Hi Richard,

I take it you're talking hypothetically here. Should it happen then the replacement passport should be presented to the British embassy with a copy of the lost/stolen document if held. If known tell the visa officer the Home Office file number and they can then contact IND. The file will not only confirm the person's entitlement to ILR but provide the visa officer with sufficient personal information with which to question the individual in order to prevent abuse.

Scouse.

I take it you're talking hypothetically here.

Yes, I am. All the discussion about carrying passports for pickpockets to steal made me think about what we would have to do if my wife's passport were stolen when we come over on a vist later this year.

I remember the performance I went through when I lost a new passport in Thailand about 14 years ago. I had to get the passport number off the landing card at Immigration, and they nearly didn't find it because they had misread the W of my surname as an H. Then the consular section told me that the computer records weren't up-to-date and so they had no record of me having a valid passport. I had managed to cash some travellers cheques using my photo-less UK driving licence. When I finally got a temporary passport, it wan't accepted for cashing traveller's cheques, and the Immigration Officer at Heathrow forgot he wasn't supposed to return it to me.

Thank you all for the information.

When I finally got a temporary passport, it wan't accepted for cashing traveller's cheques

I saw two Irish women successfully cash travellers cheques using a temporary passport at the American Express office last week. (The one near Ari Skytrain station - next to Bangkok Bank).

Yes, I am. All the discussion about carrying passports for pickpockets to steal made me think about what we would have to do if my wife's passport were stolen when we come over on a vist later this year.

I remember the performance I went through when I lost a new passport in Thailand about 14 years ago. I had to get the passport number off the landing card at Immigration, and they nearly didn't find it because they had misread the W of my surname as an H. Then the consular section told me that the computer records weren't up-to-date and so they had no record of me having a valid passport. I had managed to cash some travellers cheques using my photo-less UK driving licence. When I finally got a temporary passport, it wan't accepted for cashing traveller's cheques, and the Immigration Officer at Heathrow forgot he wasn't supposed to return it to me.

A wonderful time waste. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

A wonderful time waste. Thanks.

I did use the information just in case when I went out in November. I had no problems. I should think there are some now passportless Thais on Phuket who could be facing problems getting back home to Farangland - those with indefinite leave to remain, further leave to remain and possibly even unexpired fiancée visas in the case of those living in the UK. I hope Thai Immigration is helping those who can't remember their passport numbers.

With any luck the

team of officers from the British Embassy and the Honorary Consul have opened an emergency office in Phuket which will aim to provide immediate practical advice for British nationals in Phuket and other adjoining areas. (Its numbers are 076 264 473/4/5 and 076 264 484.)
will be handling such matters, but replacing a Thai passport could still be awkward.

Details are buried in Advice for Travellers to Thailand.