The Next Government In Thailand

chevykanteve

Given what Thailand has experienced lately, I will be so bold as to assume most farangs are rooting for Abhisit to be the next PM.

Assume...

Well, maybe you're right. But then perhaps "most" farangs' political agenda consists of being able to bend visa rules with unlimited visa runs and being allowed to drink beer round the clock while ogling crazy & thin girls high on ya ba.

That lot hated Thaksin from the start. (They usually spell it 'Toxin' though.. Pretty pathetic)

The "most farangs" comment is a cheap shot TBH I'm suprised you stouped so low.

I in fact I liked Thaksin from the start what dissapointed me was how a super rich premier who is intelligent and capable would end up playing the same games in Thai politics to become richer. He had a golden opportunity to make life better for all Thais but let greed and power consume his government.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand will get the Government it deserves which will be the one the majority votes for, and nothing a bunch of expats posting on TV say will have any bearing on the outcome.

At least we have the option to leave if we dont like the outcome,the local populace dont have that luxury..

Given what Thailand has experienced lately, I will be so bold as to assume most farangs are rooting for Abhisit to be the next PM.

Assume...

Well, maybe you're right. But then perhaps "most" farangs' political agenda consists of being able to bend visa rules with unlimited visa runs and being allowed to drink beer round the clock while ogling crazy & thin girls high on ya ba.

That lot hated Thaksin from the start. (They usually spell it 'Toxin' though.. Pretty pathetic)

Cool. An anti-farang rant. Any kind of rant makes me feel tingly all over, though anti-American ones really make my day.

I never liked Toxin personally because he appeared to me to be an irrational, arrogant, power mad dictator whose power base was based on bribery. I felt he cynically exploited the despair of many Northeastern Thais for his own and his cronies personal gain. Plus the extra-judicial killings didn't appeal to me but I did notice there was hardly a peep of Thai protest about that, so figured up 2 u.

I think most farangs would like to see Thailand progress towards more democracy, improved education and health care, less corruption, less poverty, and less concentration of wealth in the elite. Same way I feel about my home country. But I do see the contradiction. Toxin was elected and so was Bush.

I just think that you are right in the way you describe some situations

which many members seem to dislike so much .

I think it is just common sense in the perspective of us expats seeing

these situations around us . :o

Does it really make any difference

The elite will remain elite

The poor will remain poor

And colonel somchai boonratwantyourdosh will continue to fill his offshore bank account and purchase land in YOUR country when you can't in his.

Another negative post for all you thailand defenders.

Get a grip.

You need to get a grip, even advanced countries were like that at some point in history, changes will happen but it takes time.

I agree with you madjbs however that was in a time when the world didn't have mass media like today. It is sad that countrys like Thailand who's people know the situation with their governments and can compare that to Europe or Japan for example don't push harder to break the cycle of corruption.

Given what Thailand has experienced lately, I will be so bold as to assume most farangs are rooting for Abhisit to be the next PM. I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy though. It appears that the structure to be a strong, effective PM is gone, so I don't see his office or this new government lasting very long.

I would disagree. Most farangs remember the days of relative economic-stability in Thailand, not to mention governmental control by an (overwhelmingly) popular and democratically-elected government.

And many elderly Germans used to feel the same way, about the 1930s, as having been better than the dark years after the 1st World War. Which didn't make it good in the long run. But I doubt that many Thais study this in history-lessons at school ?

Today's Thailand is not the Weimar Republic and is definitely not comparable to post-Weimar (=NAZI) Germany. Ein ganz falsches bild.