The Next Government In Thailand

chevykanteve

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the PPP will win in terms of numerical votes. I also think they will win by a fairly large majority. But of course, that's just my own, humble opinion, as influenced by all the recent, published, poll results. So I could be wrong. What do others out there think?

I guess Toxins puppets, the PPP, who will get him back into the country as prime minister. Reason being that he obviously still has a lot of support among Isaan and Northern farmers, as well as among Bangkok middle class.

I think the PPP will win in terms of numerical votes. I also think they will win by a fairly large majority. But of course, that's just my own, humble opinion, as influenced by all the recent, published, poll results. So I could be wrong. What do others out there think?

I guess Toxins puppets, the PPP, who will get him back into the country as prime minister. Reason being that he obviously still has a lot of support among Isaan and Northern farmers, as well as among Bangkok middle class.

Bitter fruit? I mean, the reality of what the masses want? I just ask in passing.

Your guess is as good as anyone's but I bet you are looking at Thailand's next PM, Abhisit, a democrat:

post-37101-1197094640.jpg

The Democrats seem to have a reasonable agenda. Also, Thais were less xenophobic before Toxin, as for my experience. If I could vote (I won't be able, even if living here for 30 years), I would vote for the Democrats...

Your guess is as good as anyone's but I bet you are looking at Thailand's next PM, Abhisit, a democrat:

The Democrats seem to have a reasonable agenda. Also, Thais were less xenophobic before Toxin, as for my experience. If I could vote (I won't be able, even if living here for 30 years), I would vote for the Democrats...

What exactly is their agenda? I mean, besides "free electricity".

Is that really true that the Bangkok middle class likes Toxin? News to me.

In any case, this isn't going to be a totally fair election either, but what else is new?

I didn't say among all of the middle class. But he is still very popular among SOME middle class Thai people I know in Bangkok...

A Democrat led coalition in my opinion. Abhisit would be PM.

Your totally correct: if in actual fact he gets the votes, which all polls indicate he won't. But practically speaking, power belongs to those who have power. Therefore, and again, you will probably be correct when saying that a "Democrat led coalition" will win. To wit, the PPP may not be permitted an even-ground to function by the powers-at-be (PAB: I didn't say C...). Oh, I just love the freedom of speech this place now affords us all!!

Given what Thailand has experienced lately, I will be so bold as to assume most farangs are rooting for Abhisit to be the next PM. I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy though. It appears that the structure to be a strong, effective PM is gone, so I don't see his office or this new government lasting very long.

Given what Thailand has experienced lately, I will be so bold as to assume most farangs are rooting for Abhisit to be the next PM. I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy though. It appears that the structure to be a strong, effective PM is gone, so I don't see his office or this new government lasting very long.

I would disagree. Most farangs remember the days of relative economic-stability in Thailand, not to mention governmental control by an (overwhelmingly) popular and democratically-elected government.

I would disagree. Most farangs remember the days of relative economic-stability in Thailand, not to mention governmental control by an (overwhelmingly) popular and democratically-elected government.

OK. I think you're wrong. Do a poll. Favoring Abhisit is not the same thing as favoring the coup and military government. Thailand is where it is now, can't turn back the clock.

Hardly matters as we can't vote here!

Edited by Jingthing

I certainly do not have a crystal ball, but if I were Sonthi or Surayad, based on the polls, I would be at the bank next week arranging money transfers to some other country and then I would stop by my local travel agent and get a one way ticket out of here....just in case.... 15 months after they threw a legally elected govt out of office and to have the same govt come back to power...not a good sign for the old elite or the coup makers...

I certainly do not have a crystal ball, but if I were Sonthi or Surayad, based on the polls, I would be at the bank next week arranging money transfers to some other country and then I would stop by my local travel agent and get a one way ticket out of here....just in case.... 15 months after they threw a legally elected govt out of office and to have the same govt come back to power...not a good sign for the old elite or the coup makers...

i just hope we get a proper party and not the army :o

OK. I think you're wrong. Do a poll. Favoring Abhisit is not the same thing as favoring the coup and military government. Thailand is where it is now, can't turn back the clock.

Hardly matters as we can't vote here!

"Favoring Abhisit is not the same thing as favoring the coup and military government." = Really?

Do you really think they will ALLOW a new government to be put into power that will throw them in jail? The military is not going to be thrown in jail. I am sure they have that covered.

"The military"??? We're only talking about a few people; not the entire arm....

People want to move on. Resurrecting Thaksin is just going back.

"People"?? Certain Bangkok elite , certain others with guns? People?????? Look at the recent polls if you want to talk about "people". Check out the demography of the country in terms of ethnic habitants. Power --economic and otherwise-- DOES IN FACT SHIFT, in historical terms.

Unity of the country. Just recently we saw a huge demonstration of that. Having a civil war over Thaksinism doesn't further that goal.

We shall see. I won't hide my bias, as an expat, I favor stability.

Edited by Jingthing

Unity of the country. Just recently we saw a huge demonstration of that. Having a civil war over Thaksinism doesn't further that goal.

We shall see. I won't hide my bias, as an expat, I favor stability.

I'm SURE you are and I'm SURE you do. Too bad you can't vote. I can.

Agreed, cast your vote in peace, and good luck to you!

Expats can't vote but that doesn't mean we can't observe and have opinions.

For example, many more people have opinions of what party should take over the US presidency than are voting citizens, and they are right to have opinions, as the president of the US has major worldwide power.

When you live in Thailand, political instablity can impact on you.

Edited by Jingthing

OFC PPP will win they have the cash to buy the votes if Sonthi doesn’t have a master plan on stopping them. At the end of the day it doesn't matter who wins because nothing will change. The elected politicians will be ignoring the masses while their heads are stuck in the trough feeding themselves and will magically reappear ( a lot wealthier) when the next election is announce. Rinse and Repeat or maybe toss another coup in for good measures.

OFC PPP will win they have the cash to buy the votes if Sonthi doesn’t have a master plan on stopping them. At the end of the day it doesn't matter who wins because nothing will change. The elected politicians will be ignoring the masses while their heads are stuck in the trough feeding themselves and will magically reappear ( a lot wealthier) when the next election is announce. Rinse and Repeat or maybe toss another coup in for good measures.

I was surprised, though nonetheless happy, to see these things occur under Dr. Thaksin's government:

1. A police colonel arressted for possession of methamphetemine (Thai TV, about 5 years ago): unheard of before.

2. Pressure put on those lending money at exorbitant loan-rates.

3. The disappearance of drug dealers in much of my province, resulting in the ability and facility of myself and others to walk in the streets in the evenings without fear of attack from dope-heads. And that WAS a real fear before, believe me.

4. Positive and REAL changes to facilitate the education of poor-Thai students. Actual, positive and progressive changes in terms of upgrading their education, generally.

5. The corrupt blood-suckers ot the common people were held in an abeyance; not catered to as well-fed do.....

The disappearance of drug dealers in much of my province

I guess the extra-judicial murders were OK with you then? Thaksin was no saint.

If you mean "Did the change make me happy because I could actually walk in the streets in the evening without fear of getting attacked by drug addicts": YES, of course. So, who IS the saint? I know you won't say Sonthi B. Or will you? By comparison, Thaksin was what, exactly?? For starters, he was democratically-elected by the over-whelming-populus of muang Thai, then overthrown by a minority Chinese-elite that have the wherewithal to influence the military and select members of the Civil-Service and others. Or, gee, gosh, maybe I'm mistaken?????