Change Avatar

Nienke

Hi there,

Just tried to change my avatar. Had a pic first, and now want to put in a slide show with 6 pic's.

After ages of waiting I got the message that it's not allowed. :D Why?????

I've seen something like that with other members. Right? :D

So, how to do? Got to admit this is the first time I made a slide show. My computer skills aren't something to write home about. :o

Nienke

After ages of waiting I got the message that it's not allowed. :o Why?????

From the avatar settings page:

"Your avatar must be no bigger than 90 pixels by 90 pixels in size. Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 250 KB.

The following file types are allowed: gif,jpeg,jpg,swf,png"

Check your image file size, most likely cause with 6 images animated.

Make sure it is 90 x 90 pixels, and no larger in file size than 250 KB

If it is larger than 250KB then host the file somewhere else and link it by entering the URL in the field marked Enter a URL to an online avatar image

Totster :o

Make sure it is 90 x 90 pixels, and no larger in file size than 250 KB

Actually larger then 90 x 90 does work, seen some at 500 x 500 with no problems. Just have to specify display size of 90 x 90 and it works fine.

Yes, you're right, thinking about I have seen them also... but I wonder if the animated gif would work with the resize ?

Now I tried the swf file with reduced pixels and still it doesn't work. :D Same message: not allowed :bah:

Then I tried a pic, and it comes out awful at the avatar settings. On my profile it's still the old avatar, and in my post there's NO avatar! :D Go figure :bah:

I think I'm just not made for this. :o

Nienke

edit/ OOOOKKkkAaaayyyyyyy, where's my old avatar now coming from? :D :D

I may be seeing things but didn't Nienke's original message mention that it was an .exe file she was trying to upload? I would imagine that's a no-no.

She never mentioned that in this topic, but yes if she made an executable slide show rather then an animated .gif, that will not work.

Now I tried the swf file with reduced pixels and still it doesn't work. :D Same message: not allowed :D

Then I tried a pic, and it comes out awful at the avatar settings. On my profile it's still the old avatar, and in my post there's NO avatar! :o Go figure :D

Let's try this a little more methodical.

1. Are you trying to upload the file or link from an external site?

2. What is the size of the file and the type? You mentioned swf which may not work embedded in a post but should with the avatar if the size is small enough.

3. Can you upload any image files, including adding as an attachment in a post? Check your attachment space that it is not full (100%).

1. Are you trying to upload the file or link from an external site?

2. What is the size of the file and the type? You mentioned swf which may not work embedded in a post but should with the avatar if the size is small enough.

3. Can you upload any image files, including adding as an attachment in a post? Check your attachment space that it is not full (100%).

A1. upload

A2. Have several files by now:

* Type: Shockwave Flash Object. Size 282 KB Cannot upload. Says: Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file

* Description: ACDSee Slide show, size: 3.82 MB (oops). Cannot upload. Says: Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file

* Type: ACDSee Pro JPEG Image, size: 2.76 KB

A3.

Attachment space used: 15.78 MB of unlimited

I just have no clue of what I'm doing. Think I keep it with the pic's for a while. At least, if THAT is working .... Still got my old avatar.

Probably it's time I do make time free for the computer club on the Tuesday afternoons AND the photography club ....

Nienke

Ok, got my slide show, with a BIG THANKS to Chanchao who made it for me! :D

Loaded it up in my avatar settings, where it is beautiful showing now. But NOT on my profile and in my posts. :o

HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPP!

Nienke

Try this if you're running IE6 or greater: click on Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, scroll down to Multimedia and make sure that "Play Animations in Web Pages" is checked on.

Then press Control-F5 and your animated gif avatar should display OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi good folks,

A couple of questions:

1. I tried to upload an animated avatar today within the limit, but it didn't work. Any idea why?

2. How do you change the member tag under your avatar: i.e. Platinum Member to something else>

3. Why isn't my new personal photo showing up in the pull down menu next to my avatar?

Thanks a bunch!

Kat

2. How do you change the member tag under your avatar: i.e. Platinum Member to something else>

Got my controls and click. This will bring you to your control panel. On the left there is a Edt profile information. Click on this. This wil then allow you to change your member title.

Oh, I see what you mean. I clicked on your name and the pull down menu doesn't show a photo, just a blank white space but by going to your personal profile page, there is your photo. Odd.

Oh, I see what you mean. I clicked on your name and the pull down menu doesn't show a photo, just a blank white space but by going to your personal profile page, there is your photo. Odd.

If you go to her profile and look on the right where the Last Visitors, Comments, etc are I see several members with only a white box for their photo. Something broken admin?

Yeah, I copied them onto my desktop and uploaded from there. I couldn't upload straight from my hardrive picture files for some reason.

I still don't know why my personal photo doesn't show up in the pull down, but so be it.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi you guys:

I just tried to change my personal photo several times, and it keeps reverting to the old photo, even though I removed it. Installing the personal photo function seems to be highly problematic, because there were problems the last time. I would really love some help removing it.

Thanks a bunch.

Kat