Thai Honesty

corkscrew

Yesterday, I filled my tank with petrol and I thought the petrol meter said 2000 baht. I gave 2000 baht and left quickly. Today when I returned to the station for a car wash the attendant ran up to me and returned 800 baht as my earlier charge was only 1200 baht.

Another nice thing happened to me today. I was trying to locate a friend who lives on Suthisarn Road. I pulled into a police station to ask for directions...one of the police officers got on his bike and asked me to follow him...and he took me on a search that eventually found it. The cop who helped is the guy is wearing the white shirt.

What a wonderful double plus! I love Thailand.

Yes, I agree. Stories like this are everywhere if you look. A friend and I had rather too many beers one evening at a beer garden where we are known. In the morning I could not recall paying and an SMS to my friend confirmed that neither could he. A day or so later I called in and asked the staff if I had paid. They laughed and said yes. They could have said no and I would have handed over what I presumed would be right.

On the other hand, a close friend of mine was stopped by an officer and was told he could go if he gave him some money. He tried telling the officer he had no money on him, so the officer took his phone.

Yin and Yang I guess.

Edited by DirkGently

There are plenty of very nice Thais on Phuket. I run into them (not literally) all the time. I don't blame some of the Phuketians for being a bit nasty as there are tourists and expats who act up and disrespect them rather often.

I've been doing a lot of mountain biking just across the Sarasin Bridge and it's like being in a different country. EVERYONE is extremely nice and polite. It's so refreshing.

Can you really get Bt2000 worth of fuel into your car ? Impractical to get more than about Bt1600 for me.

70 Liter tank does the trick for me.

You may have a 70 litre tank but you don't arrive totally empty do you ? 100 litre tank then yes, I understand. All I'm saying is that being asked for Bt2000 at petrol prices of just under 30 baht per litre would need you to put in 67 litres. To not think a request for Bt2000 odd, it must be a common occurance and I'm not sure there are many times it possibly can be, that's all.

Can you really get Bt2000 worth of fuel into your car ? Impractical to get more than about Bt1600 for me.

I think it holds 80. Anyway, the way I was parked at the pump I thought it read 2000. Whatever, it really gave me a good feeling when the attendant came over and gave me the 800. I didn't know what he was doing at first. But, a Thai who spoke English translated it. I know that the man who translated was also proud of his honest fellow Thai.

Two itmes stick in my mind

1, I left my camera in a bar on Samui (Lamai) a wee bit drunk. The following morning could not recall which bar I left it in? Sometime during the following afternoon my camera was returned back to my bungalows reception. I was informed that a lady dropped it off apparently I had told her where I was staying whilst drinks in the bar?? (you know they know everything about you within five minutes of arriving at a bar)

2, Chiang Mai went for a massage and left my Raybans hung on a peg after I got changed, returned the next day and they were returned back to me straight away.

....Yes I must agree there have been many times Thai people have helped me with their kindness,and honesty .....If this happens I usually make sure I give a better tip "say in taxi" or restaurant or wherever they have shown kindness to me.....

You got me thinking about the capacity. I checked the owner's manual. The tank holds 88 liters and the car drinks grade 95. At 32 baht per liter it costs 2816 to fill it.

You got me thinking about the capacity. I checked the owner's manual. The tank holds 88 liters and the car drinks grade 95. At 32 baht per liter it costs 2816 to fill it.

Makes sense then that you could often get a bill for Bt2000+ if you were below 1/4 tank. Not sure how many I get in the truck but it must be 1600/29=55 litres. Not sure how big the tank is but I suppose somewhere near 65.