Burma

yaimar

Have been pondering a trip to burma possible long stay . advised or not

also atms ? money etc would like to join others on a tour advise please yaimar

Pretty much any tour is going to help prop up the bastards who are running the place into the ground and opressing the people. I wouldn't go until the regime is gone.

Pretty much any tour is going to help prop up the bastards who are running the place into the ground and opressing the people. I wouldn't go until the regime is gone.

With the contracts the Chinese and Thailand just gave Burma for oil drilling rights tourism is doing very little to prop up what is already well supported. Burma or Myanmar is going to do what its going to do. No one is going to pressure the country to do anything. I think that the world at large has tried to push them in the right direction... and failed.

• 2 months later...
HI

No ATMs, bring cash

to elaborate further on 'bring cash',

bring it in US dollars only, and make sure they are clean, new looking bills in good condition, no tears, creases, writing/ink etc.

They will not be accepted otherwise.

A few limited hotels and shops catering to foreign tourists may do visa/mastercard - but will add a hefty percentage - anywhere from 3-12%!

Funnily enough I couldnt agree less. I believe the policy of 'ignoring' Burma has failed dismally. I go there, I help people, I get involved. I believe Burma - despite its corrupt dictatorship - should be a Pakistan or a Vietnam not an economic disaster area.

Corrupt dictatorships thrive on isolationism - North Korea, Burma or debate ably Cuba - Burma deserves so much more.

Open them up and the corrupt regimes will crumble....

Funnily enough I couldnt agree less. I believe the policy of 'ignoring' Burma has failed dismally. I go there, I help people, I get involved. I believe Burma - despite its corrupt dictatorship - should be a Pakistan or a Vietnam not an economic disaster area.

Corrupt dictatorships thrive on isolationism - North Korea, Burma or debate ably Cuba - Burma deserves so much more.

Open them up and the corrupt regimes will crumble....

Getting involved is a good thing, but I wouldn't go there and do scenic tours run by the govt.

I'd be interested in going to North Korea, but I know i'd be insulated from meeting ordinary people and just be fed propaganda the whole time. And as long as they keep whole extended families of alledged dissidents in prison, I wouldn't want to visit.

We're thinking of travelling to burma as well asap-next visa run. heard one can obtain visaq there and want to see all for my self. Which airline andwhich days fly there from Chiang Mai? Also can obtain visa in Chiang Mai?

answered in the other post you made....