Windows Vista Sp1 Rc

Guest Reimar

Windows Vista SP1 RC released to public

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 RC is now available through Windows Update. Experience the WU based Vista SP1 installation by following 4 simple steps. Windows Vista SP1 RC distributed through Windows Update will be applicable to Windows Vista machines that are running on any of the 36 languages supported by Vista RTM.

If you already installed the Service Pack to your machine by using the standalone package, you must uninstall before you scan Windows Update for Windows Vista SP1.

Systems running on Windows Vista RTM require as many as three updates before SP1 can be installed. These updates are permanent to your Windows Vista systems. Windows Update will detect your system configuration and offer the prerequisite packages that are applicable to your system.

On Vista RTM:

1. Download the command (.cmd.remove) script to your machine, rename it by removing deleting ".remove" at the end of the file name. Run the newly named script on an elevated prompt.

• To run the script on elevated prompt, after you download the script, right click on the file and select “Run as administrator” option.

• The script sets a registry key on your system. The registry key is required for WU server to recognize your machine as a valid target for Vista SP1.

• After running the script, Windows Update automatic updates would normally automatically update your machine each night for the next several days with the prerequisites and then offer the Service Pack. However if you would like to install SP1 quicker you can manually do the next few steps to speed up the process.

2. Install all pending “Important” updates and reboot. You may have to do this several times to get fully up to date.

• Check for updates on Windows Update. Go to Control Panel à System and Maintenance à Windows Update and check for updates by clicking on “Check for Updates” in the top left of the task pane.

• You will be offered all previously released Windows Vista updates that you may not have installed on your system. Install all applicable updates. If you have a clean install of RTM, there might be quite a few updates to install. You may need to do this a couple of times to get fully up to date. At some point Update for Windows (KB935509) will be in this list. This is the first pre-requisite install. Reboot your machine when prompted.

• If you see Ultimate Extras, you can hide them by right-clicking and hiding. Simply unchecking them will not let the remaining updates show up. Please install all of the remaining “important” updates.

• If you reboot and rescan right away, at times you may not see all updates right away. Wait 10 minutes and scan again.

To reduce the number of reboots required to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1, the prerequisite packages will be released to Windows Vista customers through WU prior to the release of Windows Vista Service Pack 1. These prerequisite packages will be coupled with other updates that are applicable to Windows Vista RTM systems and require a reboot. Consequently, the systems that are getting updates through automatic updates will already have prerequisites installed at the time of the SP1 release and be directly offered SP1 through WU.

Download at Microsoft

Thanks, Reimar, for keeping us posted.

Last night I downloaded the preliminary KB packages and then the 76MB RC1 package and let the computer reboot. I'm impressed! Vista is *much* snappier now, just like WinXP.

My grumbles with Vista have been that it was just plain sluggish at some tasks, like copying/moving files and opening windows. RC1 seems to fix that. Opening Explorer windows are almost instantaneous. Moving/copying files is fast. Just like it should have been from the start.

Now, if there were only some RC1 to magically fix Thai ISPs and internet access. <sigh...>

Will the Vista SP1 Service Pack download automatically in Windows Update or do I have to visit the Microsoft site? The Microsoft Office 2007 SP1 automatically updated back on December 13th. Also, has anyone had any difficulty getting Vista Update K942763 to install? The update fails to install each time I have tried.

Update for Windows Vista (KB942763)

Update type: Important! Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2007 and 2008 due to revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Will the Vista SP1 Service Pack download automatically in Windows Update or do I have to visit the Microsoft site? The Microsoft Office 2007 SP1 automatically updated back on December 13th. Also, has anyone had any difficulty getting Vista Update K942763 to install? The update fails to install each time I have tried.

Update for Windows Vista (KB942763)

Update type: Important! Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2007 and 2008 due to revised Daylight Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

As long as the SP is in RC state, the update has to manually! So that means you've to conect to MS with the Link I posted!

On Softpedia is an interested article about Vista SP1 RC which will give the answer to many questions.

Here is just a part of the article:

Run Vista SP1! Ruuuuuun!

- Windows Vista + SP1 RC= the near-final preview of the service pack

One of Vista's weak points in the face-off with XP, and one that took an abrupt contour for Microsoft via the comparison involving beta builds of Vista SP1 and XP SP3, is related to performance. Of course that XP, released in 2001, and refreshed in 2004 with SP2, would simply fly on today's systems, as its initial system requirements are just a fraction of what the current configurations have to offer. The comparison however was inevitable. Microsoft itself did it with the RTM version of Vista and XP SP2 for early 2008. And with SP1 offering a veritable incarnation of Vista on steroids, the Redmond company promised enhancements on all fronts, from security to reliability, and from stability to performance. ................

to read the full article got to HERE

Just installed it and have it up and running now.

Wow!

Thanks Reimar for all update heads ups!

Have fun!

Slowly Vista gets where it should be!!

Wow!

Have fun!

Hi Reimar thanks for the info.

I have checked installed updates and i cant find Service Pack for Windows (936330). Should it be there as i am on automatic downloads?

I dont want to screw this up by just installing the service pack. Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick

Wow!

Have fun!

I have checked installed updates and i cant find Service Pack for Windows (936330). Should it be there as i am on automatic downloads?

I dont want to screw this up by just installing the service pack. Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick

Again, it's not the final release bu the Release candidat (RC)! The Link is on the end of the first post or HERE

Desktop work wonderful!

Tried to install on my laptop (A genuine Vista Business with its own cert.).

I'm getting error:

Update Failed. Error code 80073712.

I have rebooted and tried again. And no hints to solutions. Pls advise.

What Vista you use on the Laptop and it is an OEM from Asus or Dell or who ever?

Wow!

Have fun!

Cheers,

Rick

First you have to install all the windows updates. This means you have to run windows update probably several times. (at least I had to) and wait a few minutes after rebooting before you run Win Update again. Sooner or later 936330 should appear. Else follow instructions as above.

Anyway worked like a charm for me, and some things appear to be running faster :-)

Desktop work wonderful!

I'm getting error:

What Vista you use on the Laptop and it is an OEM from Asus or Dell or who ever?

It's a Windows Vista, Business Version x32 (OEM bought direct from Microsoft genuine dealer)

Some of the OEM packages are modified "to good"!

And Gimbo is right, you'll need to run the whole update procedure to first!

OK here's a solution:

Basically what you need to do is delete “C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml” and restart your PC and then manually re-install the Windows Update Agent. I had the choice between that and reinstall Vista. I took that of course before a Vista reinstall. OK here’s how what you gotta do to make it happen: 1. Open the start menu.

2. Type “cmd” into the search and click on “cmd.exe”

3. Type in “takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml”

4. Type in “cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G :F”

5. Type in “del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml”

There you go. You deleted C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml!

6. Now reboot that beast!

7. And then downloaded & install the Windows update Agent.

32-bit Users Download it Here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windo...Agent30-x86.exe

64-bit Users Get it Here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windo...Agent30-x64.exe

NOTE: command propmt is needed because “pending .xml” will not delete with just a tap of the delete key.

Another NOTE: On step 4 you actually have to enter your windows user name it that place it says. So when you put it into command its should look like this, but with a different name:

cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G Crazy Eddie:F

I found the solution here: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?p=3050763

Hope that helps you!

Desktop work wonderful!

I'm getting error:

It's a Windows Vista, Business Version x32 (OEM bought direct from Microsoft genuine dealer)

Hi George, I have the same vista exactly as you and i have just begun the windows update so i will let you know how it goes. I really hope that i don't get any errors because i have not got a clue as to Reimar's instructions for the remedial action.

The man must be a genius! or maybe i am just stupid.

Cheers Rick

There is maybe one more way to solve the problem.

I was getting an answer from some MS Programmer how to solve the udate error:

Run chkdsk c: /f

Reboot

Copy the Vista Disk to the harddisk

Run Vista setup from the harddisk and choose Update.

That should even solve the problem!

Reboot

Hi Reimar,

I got the same error message as George then i rebooted and then went back to windows update and the updates started to download. The first was 4MB and the second is 4.1MB. I just hope it continues this way. I have to reboot after each update.

Cheers, Rick

Reboot

Will try this, thanks!

Reboot

Will try this, thanks!

Reimar/ George help!

I downloaded the second update and i had to restart my laptop, but it seems to be hung as it has been installing for the past 2 hours. The file size was only 4.1MB so i am worried. The message on the screen is 'please do not power off your machine installing update 1 of 1' What do i do?

Cheers, Rick

Reboot

Will try this, thanks!

Reimar/ George help!

I downloaded the second update and i had to restart my laptop, but it seems to be hung as it has been installing for the past 2 hours. The file size was only 4.1MB so i am worried. The message on the screen is 'please do not power off your machine installing update 1 of 1' What do i do?

Cheers, Rick

Check if there is any activity on the Network/Internet!!

I had such things in the past that I downloaded files from MS and the filesize was quite small but the Installation was need a long time. The reason was that the downloaded file called other files from MS for installation and that has need a long time. That could be happens with your Laptop!

And what OS you use? is it an OEM-Brand OS or an open OEM? First can produce problems very easy!

Take a look at your PM!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Reimar. I have finally managed to d/Load the Vista service pack1, V668. The download showed up as in excess of 600 MB and took hours to d/Load and install. Since i installed the service pack i have a message at he bottom left on my screen in th wIndows side bar. It reads 'Windows Vista 9TM) Evaluation copy Build 6001. Is this normal??

Cheers, Rick

Hi Reimar. I have finally managed to d/Load the Vista service pack1, V668. The download showed up as in excess of 600 MB and took hours to d/Load and install. Since i installed the service pack i have a message at he bottom left on my screen in th wIndows side bar. It reads 'Windows Vista 9TM) Evaluation copy Build 6001. Is this normal??

Not sure if it's "normal," but it's how it worked for me, too.

There is a registry tweak that controls the display of the Windows version on the desktop, but I can't seem to find it right now. I suspect that the RC1 (which is not the final, ready-for-the-world version) purposefully displays the version on the desktop as a reminder that you are using a non-final version.

Not sure if it's "normal," but it's how it worked for me, too.

There is a registry tweak that controls the display of the Windows version on the desktop, but I can't seem to find it right now. I suspect that the RC1 (which is not the final, ready-for-the-world version) purposefully displays the version on the desktop as a reminder that you are using a non-final version.

Hi WPCOE thanks for the reply.

This installation has turned into a complete nightmare for me as my Laptop is continually turning itself off and restarting. Windows has tried to repair the start up files bit without success. I have managed to start the system in safe mode and run the system retsore function so am really hoping that this works.

I think that its a good idea to wait for the final release version so thts what i intend to do so as to avoind more problems. i will let you know if the restore works.

Good luck,

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Help! I had a similar experience about the installation of updates. I was about to surf the net when my internet explorer hanged so i tried to restart my laptop. a screen appeared that says "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing 1 of 1.." I didn't know that my laptop was installing any updates. This update installation took too long so i tried to turn it off press the power button. After a while, I again turned it on. The store's logo (where i bought my laptop) appeared as usuall and after that the screen where it says "Resuming Windows". I thought it worked but the screen that says "Please do not power off..." appeared again. This was on the whole morning and I'm getting impatient about this. What can I do? :o

Help! I had a similar experience about the installation of updates. I was about to surf the net when my internet explorer hanged so i tried to restart my laptop. a screen appeared that says "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing 1 of 1.." I didn't know that my laptop was installing any updates. This update installation took too long so i tried to turn it off press the power button. After a while, I again turned it on. The store's logo (where i bought my laptop) appeared as usuall and after that the screen where it says "Resuming Windows". I thought it worked but the screen that says "Please do not power off..." appeared again. This was on the whole morning and I'm getting impatient about this. What can I do? :o

Seems to be that you use a laptop.

Ok, hold down the Power switch until the system powers off totally. After that start the comp again but in Safe Mode. Disable the Windows Update total. and restart the laptop.

If you still have problems, please post again.

Cheers.

Seems to be that you use a laptop.

"Ok, hold down the Power switch until the system powers off totally. After that start the comp again but in Safe Mode. Disable the Windows Update total. and restart the laptop.

If you still have problems, please post again."

Reply:

Cheers.