Oversized Complaint

Travel2003

Exactly, they have not considered the consequences of that extra 2 kilo's of dunkin donuts for brekky will do.

Heavier planes, more fuel burnt, longer runways required, homes demolished, sky walks reinforced, extra steel in chairs, increased aircon to offset the body heat, reduced air quality in confined spaces, more soaps used, more pollutants washed down drains, more water required, more wrappings on foods disposed of, extra excretement, more work for sewage contractors, more trucks on the road, more wages, prices go up....soon there will be a fat tax....pure and simple.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few years ago there was a letter from a Thai complaining that his 'loyal man servant' had been denied a visa to travel to the UK with him. The 'man servant' was needed to perform important tasks like bringing him wine on the golf course.

I never actually read the original letter, only the many responses to it. Now I'm guessing this may have been a troll also.

Did anyone else see the letter?

maybe it was thaksin.

A troll letter for sure. Can't beleive that the BP would publish it, on the other hand I suppose I shouldn't be suprised. :o

English-language newspapers in Asia have a long-standing tradition of printing weird letters from eccentric Westerners. It adds a bit of spice to the news. I remember a couple of years ago a guy wrote to the Post saying how inconvenient it was that Thai script did not have spaces between words and would the authorities please do something about it immediately. :D

This letter is just entertainment. Similar to those letters last week from the hi-so lady with the hypenated name who probably hangs out in the same social circles as Ms. Constance Beasley. Great for a laugh.

I'm sure the letter's editor enjoyed throwing this one in. Can't wait for the equally tongue-in-cheek replies.

Just as an aside, in a recent poll of Australian air travellers more than 60% said that overweight/oversize people should be made to pay for two seats.

Maybe this is the solution for the writer.

A troll letter for sure. Can't beleive that the BP would publish it, on the other hand I suppose I shouldn't be suprised. :o

English-language newspapers in Asia have a long-standing tradition of printing weird letters from eccentric Westerners. It adds a bit of spice to the news. I remember a couple of years ago a guy wrote to the Post saying how inconvenient it was that Thai script did not have spaces between words and would the authorities please do something about it immediately. :D

I remember that one! Talk about having time on your hands. :D Definitely entertaining, though.

I remember a couple of years ago a guy wrote to the Post saying how inconvenient it was that Thai script did not have spaces between words and would the authorities please do something about it immediately.

It is a serious problem for computers - Thai line-breaking resorts to big dictionaries, but that's not much use for other languages written in the Thai script. ISO 10646 (equivalently Unicode) actually has an invisible character to do the job - U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE - but it's little used at present, and also a 'no don't break here' character, which older versions at least of MS Word ignores. The problem also applies to the Burmese, Lao and Khmer scripts. I would also find a working 'no don't break here' character useful for English.

Thai women all look undernourished

Thank heaven they do ! :D

I agree. The article was written by a fat-arsed female Farang English teacher. She thinks that being a fat-arsed female English teacher on 40K per month should automatically entitle her to two seats on the BTS. Thank you Buddha for the skinny Thai ladies. :o

and in the best tradition of a thaivisa thread, the responses are very typical to the OP:

Not all Thai women dress or present themselves as you suggest, but I do sense a hint of jealousy in your letter.

CHARLIE SMITH

Insulting letter I was most surprised and disappointed that Postbag printed such a bizarre and insulting letter entitled ''Oversized complaint''. May I suggest two simple solutions to Susan Sutton's complaint. Firstly, that she perhaps diets or, secondly, lives in another country. Insulting the people of your adopted country seems in very poor taste. Shame on you, Susan.

PAUL BEST

Go home, Susan I feel I must reply to the unbelievable remarks made by Susan Sutton of Chiang Mai (Postbag, Dec 13). She states that she is having problems living in Thailand because of her size. She does say that she is oversized. If one looks at the definition of the word in a dictionary you can see that ''over'' means ''used as a function word to indicate extreme''. The use of the word ''oversized'' as very different from large or big, indicates to me that this person is extremely overweight. Susan lives in a country where people are generally shorter and much slimmer than the Western person. I, for one, cannot be called slim but am not oversized. The comments she made about Thai women _ ''Thai women all look undernourished; the way they dress is disgusting, and the cosmetics they use are cheap and tacky'' _ are not only disrespectful of the Thai nation but also wrong. The Thai people are a proud people and are always concerned about their looks and appearance. I would like to get some comments from Thai women on Ms Sutton's looks, but they would not be so disrespectful to her. I suggest Ms Sutton leave this country, which she so obviously hates, and goes back to where she came from.

NEIL BLACKETT (OVERWEIGHT)

Chiang Mai Susan in need of help I write in reference to Susan Sutton's ''Oversized complaint''. Susan moves from complaining about Thai taxis to small seats on the skytrain. What she hasn't realised is, when in a taxi she can take up the whole back seat and her travel companion can sit in the front passenger seat. As for the skytrain, she is lucky because she can have a seat for each cheek. However, to make the general reference that all Thai women look malnourished, dress disgustingly and wear cheap and tacky make-up, obviously shows Susan's state of mind. Our recommendation to her is book a complete train carriage for herself from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and seek some sort of medical health (psychiatric) in one of Bangkok's famous hospitals. The train authorities are awaiting your call, Susan.

MARK NOSKE

Susan is jealous [yada, yada, yada....]

The blah blah blah continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Dec2007_news19.php

Edited by sriracha john

Anyone seen this?

Quite amazing that Bangkok Post print this. Even though one can say whatever one wants.

Hopefully a storm of mails/letters will hit them.

""

It is very difficult for oversized women to travel in Bangkok because of small taxis and little seats on the skytrain and the subway. You have almost nothing in the stores for oversized women and you never have articles in the Bangkok Post that address our special needs.

Thai women all look undernourished; the way they dress is disgusting, and the cosmetics they use are cheap and tacky.

Please address these issues in your newspaper.

SUSAN SUTTON

Chiang Mai ""

:o

Re: Oversized Complaint, Letters, December 13th.

The unbelievable letter from Susan Sutton screams for a humorous and/or sarcastic response however in this age of political correctness I will respond with forthright, constructive suggestions to her queen-sized plight. First she might consider the fact that she has outgrown the country. I don’t just mean the taxis, chairs, seats and clothes but the culture and its people. When she begins to eye the Thai people as food it may be time to move to a country that can cater to her special needs.

The lack of Taxi, Skytrain and subway accommodations for the queen-size is huge and not being able to find attire to cover mass expanses of flesh is problematic. I suggest during the search for a country that recognizes Susan’s special requirements that she try to eat less. Rarely do I recommend Eric Bahrt for anything but under his tutelage she can go vegan and reduce her carbon footprint here in the Kingdom. Meanwhile a burqa is very popular in Thailand and can cover a multitude of sins.

Susan got hammered today in the Bankok Post today.......

---------------

Unfair stereotyping

This is in reply to Susan Sutton's unfair argument ("Oversized complaint", Postbag, Dec 13). I really don't understand how a complaint about a size problem turns into an unfair stereotyping of all Thai women.

I can see that sometimes Bangkok gets a little tight, but I don't know what country Susan comes from because the taxis are the same size as a standard car in the UK. And I am sure the seats on the trains are of a size similar to the ones back home, too.

As for the lack of large-sized clothing stores, Susan must understand that the majority of the population are naturally small and it is a breath of fresh air for me that Thailand caters for the masses, unlike England which only allows the minority to do what they like and the majority must fit their lives around those few groups.

You do see overweight Thai people and they are not walking around naked, they all have clothes on, so it can't be impossible to find the right size, however big you are.

As for her closing statement, anyone with a tiny amount of intelligence must understand that to generalise a whole population is completely unfair. Maybe Susan should be thinking about a gym membership to solve her needs, as most people don't seem to have her problem.

This letter really upset some of my female Thai friends and I think the best thing to suggest is, "like it or lump it." By this I mean: get on with living here or just go home.

Not all Thai women dress or present themselves as you suggest, but I do sense a hint of jealousy in your letter.

CHARLIE SMITH

---------------

Insulting letter

I was most surprised and disappointed that Postbag printed such a bizarre and insulting letter entitled "Oversized complaint". May I suggest two simple solutions to Susan Sutton's complaint. Firstly, that she perhaps diets or, secondly, lives in another country. Insulting the people of your adopted country seems in very poor taste. Shame on you, Susan.

PAUL BEST

---------------

Go home, Susan

I feel I must reply to the unbelievable remarks made by Susan Sutton of Chiang Mai (Postbag, Dec 13).

She states that she is having problems living in Thailand because of her size. She does say that she is oversized. If one looks at the definition of the word in a dictionary you can see that "over" means "used as a function word to indicate extreme". The use of the word "oversized" as very different from large or big, indicates to me that this person is extremely overweight.

Susan lives in a country where people are generally shorter and much slimmer than the Western person. I, for one, cannot be called slim but am not oversized. The comments she made about Thai women - "Thai women all look undernourished; the way they dress is disgusting, and the cosmetics they use are cheap and tacky" - are not only disrespectful of the Thai nation but also wrong. The Thai people are a proud people and are always concerned about their looks and appearance. I would like to get some comments from Thai women on Ms Sutton's looks, but they would not be so disrespectful to her.

I suggest Ms Sutton leave this country, which she so obviously hates, and goes back to where she came from.

NEIL BLACKETT (OVERWEIGHT)

Chiang Mai

---------------

Susan in need of help

I write in reference to Susan Sutton's "Oversized complaint". Susan moves from complaining about Thai taxis to small seats on the skytrain. What she hasn't realised is, when in a taxi she can take up the whole back seat and her travel companion can sit in the front passenger seat. As for the skytrain, she is lucky because she can have a seat for each cheek.

However, to make the general reference that all Thai women look malnourished, dress disgustingly and wear cheap and tacky make-up, obviously shows Susan's state of mind.

Our recommendation to her is book a complete train carriage for herself from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and seek some sort of medical health (psychiatric) in one of Bangkok's famous hospitals. The train authorities are awaiting your call, Susan.

MARK NOSKE

---------------

Susan is jealous

With reference to Susan Sutton's "Oversized complaint", may I offer her a few words of advice? Firstly, Thailand's transport infrastructure is designed for Thai people and tourists of average proportions to travel in comfort and safety.

Regarding Thai stores not catering for larger women, why should they if there is a limited demand from overweight people who can easily and cheaply have their clothes custom-made by the many excellent tailors throughout the Kingdom?

Regarding the Bangkok Post's not catering for women of your needs, I suggest you read the paper and its many supplements regularly, where you can find many excellent articles on healthy eating and weight control. You will also find in the classified section many health spas and clubs which would be happy to help you with your problem.

Your comments regarding Thai women are outrageous and a clear indication of the jealousy you have of their physique. In all of the business districts, department stores, restaurants, etc, Thai women dress with impeccable taste and take the utmost care with their hair and cosmetics. If you are unhappy here, I suggest that you return to your home country where you will probably fit in just fine with your fellow fatties.

SOI 4 DAVE

---------------

- Bangkok Post Dec 15 2007

I especially like the last one by Soi4 Dave!

According to google there is a Susan M Sutton posted as Political Affairs Counselor at the American Embassy BKK

And if you google images you see she's not chubby. Makes me wonder if the letter was actually deliberate attempt to hurt her. It's certainly possible, of course, that there might be two Susan Suttons in CM, although howmanyofme.com says it's a pretty rare name in the USA at least (458 in the USA).

Edited by anthrosciguy

According to google there is a Susan M Sutton posted as Political Affairs Counselor at the American Embassy BKK

And if you google images you see she's not chubby. Makes me wonder if the letter was actually deliberate attempt to hurt her. It's certainly possible, of course, that there might be two Susan Suttons in CM, although howmanyofme.com says it's a pretty rare name in the USA at least (458 in the USA).

Yes, the whole thing was a set up and completely over the top from the beginning, but these guys don't care because they get to foam at the mouth in their hatred of Western women, and in this case, jealousy of an obviously successful and powerful Western women. They are really no different than the same irrational mobs of jealousy and hatred that burned crosses on black people's lawns and hunted people down with the Brownshirts not that long ago.

They are like a bunch of starving jackals in a rabid feeding frenzy. It doesn't matter if the letter writer is fictional or not.

Yes, the whole thing was a set up and completely over the top from the beginning, but these guys don't care because they get to foam at the mouth in their hatred of Western women, and in this case, jealousy of an obviously successful and powerful Western women. They are really no different than the same irrational mobs of jealousy and hatred that burned crosses on black people's lawns and hunted people down with the Brownshirts not that long ago.

They are like a bunch of starving jackals in a rabid feeding frenzy. It doesn't matter if the letter writer is fictional or not.

What is that makes her an "obviously successful and powerful western woman"

Apart from the name which makes it obvious she's a western woman I saw nothing else to indicate that she's successful or powerful.

Indeed, the content and tone of the letter both indicate someone powerless at the lowest end of the social scale. In general its the poor in the west that are extremely fat. The successful tend to be of normal weight or at most slightly overweight. Also, the successful and powerful don't broadcast negative stereotypes of entire races and genders, again, that's something that's more far more common amongst those on the bottom rungs of the socioeconomic ladder.

So again, where is it "obvious"?

But we all know its a troll by a man anyway.

Absolutely right. Most of the time, it is that easy. :o

*Or of course, you could try refuting the point where it originates.

** The irony, is that the whole fricking book could've been written by Wikipedia.

I postulate that the author is actually our very own Weho.

Then again, Weho is always using the word 'fricking'...

Apart from the name which makes it obvious she's a western woman I saw nothing else to indicate that she's successful or powerful.

Indeed, the content and tone of the letter both indicate someone powerless at the lowest end of the social scale. In general its the poor in the west that are extremely fat. The successful tend to be of normal weight or at most slightly overweight. Also, the successful and powerful don't broadcast negative stereotypes of entire races and genders, again, that's something that's more far more common amongst those on the bottom rungs of the socioeconomic ladder.

If you google the name as was suggested by anthrosciguy earlier and read his post further back, you will understand that Susan Sutton is one of the Principal US Embassy officials to Thailand as the Political Affairs Counselor. She is also on the board of the Siam Society, and she is not fat.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2814.htm

*edit: http://www.siam-society.org/sub_sections/48

Edited by kat

If you google the name as was suggested by anthrosciguy earlier and read his post further back, you will understand that Susan Sutton is one of the Principal US Embassy officials to Thailand as the Political Affairs Counselor. She is also on the board of the Siam Society, and she is not fat.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2814.htm

*edit: http://www.siam-society.org/sub_sections/48

So its obviously not her then.

So my original post stands