Max Net Maxed Out?

whopper

I live in Jomtien and have MaxNet Premier. I had Indy for 2 years. It became dead slow a few months back. My old 56k dial up was faster. I was advised by TT&T internet support to switch to Premier. It was ok for a short. It is now very slow, especially for international sites.

Singapore has fast, reliable and reasonable internet. They will have 1 GB service available to 50% of the country by 2012. I think Thailand customers will be lucky to get reasonable 2 MB service by 2012. Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea have quality service now. Why is that Thailand offers about the worst service for ANY far East country? Is someone or some company is making gigantic profits? Are bribes being paid? Why isn't reasonable competition allowed on TT&T lines?

Has anyone found reasonable ADSL, on TT&T, in Jomtien?

I got Maxnet too 2000ish kpbs I think premier too, and it is terrible slow again.

I use it for teleworking into Europe email and voip or skype is serious important, and the net crawls some nights.

its really frustrating, & I d be alot happier with a few euro more in my pocket if it was not this slow.

Skype is ok usually for outbound calls.

what I find works better than VOIP is I load my Thai mobile up with deedial.com credits, 2 B a minute to an irish land line, so I be able to call Irish land lines with reasonable quality, or if I need to call Irish Mobile, my Irish VOIP company got a landline international gateway, so I can call that for 2 Thai B a minute off 1 2 Call Thai mobile, pin code into my Ireland blueface.ie VOIP account, & use that to call mobile phones in Ireland, woth better quality for cheaper than the crazy expensive 35B a minute calls to Irish mobiles on deecall or worse 007 extensions.

I know it sounds like a very akward way of making a call, but I was so depended on the internet Maxnet TTT to make VOIP calls over net, when we had this infamous 3 weeks long net crash in Pattaya in Aug, the snail slow internet for months after, I came up with this improvised solution, & you know it works alot better, & means if the net is down , I can still carry on business as usual into Ireland.

I have Premier and it's been fine for the past 2/3 months but has really gone to sh1t the last couple weeks. Just keep phoning them up on a daily basis and have the engineer sent out. He will obviously not find anything wrong but after a while they will get fed up and sort you out to keep you quiet... with a bit of luck :o

I have Premier and it's been fine for the past 2/3 months but has really gone to sh1t the last couple weeks. Just keep phoning them up on a daily basis and have the engineer sent out. He will obviously not find anything wrong but after a while they will get fed up and sort you out to keep you quiet... with a bit of luck :o

Am I right in assuming that although Premier is as slow for international sites as any other service out of Thailand, it doesnt have silly blocks on things that prevent java applications running for example. So all ports are open, no traffic shaping, less contention ratio on your line?

Im planning on switching to Premier in Jan on my return from the UK, so would like some reassurance that it is worth the extra expense even if it isnt particularly any faster.

Cheers

Am I right in assuming that although Premier is as slow for international sites as any other service out of Thailand, it doesnt have silly blocks on things that prevent java applications running for example. So all ports are open, no traffic shaping, less contention ratio on your line?

Im planning on switching to Premier in Jan on my return from the UK, so would like some reassurance that it is worth the extra expense even if it isnt particularly any faster.

Cheers

Same story here (Chiang Mai) as jackr - I'm becoming good buddies with the visiting engineer! Today they decided that the "connection at the exchange needed to be reset" creating a leap from 300K to 1.5M.

Premier has given me really great improvements over Indy on FTP and Skype and noticeable improvements on email collection and web browsing but does require regular calls to the call centre.

JxP

Cheers

Same story here (Chiang Mai) as jackr - I'm becoming good buddies with the visiting engineer! Today they decided that the "connection at the exchange needed to be reset" creating a leap from 300K to 1.5M.

Premier has given me really great improvements over Indy on FTP and Skype and noticeable improvements on email collection and web browsing but does require regular calls to the call centre.

JxP

:D

Yep, lower contention ratio, P2P good, and consistency which was the cruncher for me. Defo worth the extra - if they get back to normal - but keep it quiet. :D

Calling TT&T at 1103 does little good. The people that answer are just there to buffer and make you feel good enough not to call back. After the first few times, "the techician" does not call back. They will fix the problem when and if they feel like it.

MaxNet Premier is really slow right now. It was better than Indy for a short time. I am not sure there is much difference anymore. TT&T problems are the norm, not the exception. Their motto should be "pay a lot, get a little". Premier is inferior by international standards. If you want ADSL, you must take the crap they provide. The monopoly wins again.

Calling TT&T at 1103 does little good. The people that answer are just there to buffer and make you feel good enough not to call back. After the first few times, "the techician" does not call back. They will fix the problem when and if they feel like it.

Utter rubbish.

MaxNet Premier is really slow right now. It was better than Indy for a short time. I am not sure there is much difference anymore. TT&T problems are the norm, not the exception. Their motto should be "pay a lot, get a little". Premier is inferior by international standards. If you want ADSL, you must take the crap they provide. The monopoly wins again.

No, it's not up to international standard but it's about the best of a bad bunch. Agree on the initial calling of 1103 but if you persevere you'll eventually be passed along various levels of intelligence and can often get things sorted. While slower now, it's still way better than Indy, which comes with an impossibly high contention ratio and extended downtime.

Here in Chiang Mai near the American Consulate General I have TT&T Maxnet as my primary service, with INET dial-up as backup. Practically from the start of my Maxnet experience - a year ago - I have been unable to connect to certain American sites in the .mil domain, but I am able to connect with them using the INET dial-up arrangement. Now, today, I cannot connect with Wikipedia using Maxnet but I can connect using the INET dial-up.

It is always interesting, isn't it?

:o

mine has ground to halt tonite, maxnet pattaya

Yes, and you started a thread about it too - how you believe Maxnet have managed to block P2P. And you have come to this conclusion because you can't get a decent download rate on a weekend night, the very weekend that most bars in Thailand are shut, and you wonder why the Internet is a bit slow? :o

i have maxnet premier on the east side of sukhumvit in Pattaya, no problems at all after upgrading from the recently slowed Indy package. i am now 1 of 10 instead of 1 of 20, maybe my other 9 users are not so active but whilst listening to steve wright on BBC radio UK listen again service and about ten website windows open on mozilla, my speed now as just tested by Thaivisa speedtest is

Last Result:

Download Speed: 788 kbps (98.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 408 kbps (51 KB/sec transfer rate)

happy with that.

i wish you well with yours

I have had maxnet4Life in Phuket for the last year. Its mostly been fast and reliable. Just tested it, and this is fairly typical speed:

Download Speed: 1212 kbps (151.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 360 kbps (45 KB/sec transfer rate)

Sorry to hear so many people are having problems with it, but at least this proves Thailand is capable of delivering good Internet services

Yes, and you started a thread about it too - how you believe Maxnet have managed to block P2P. And you have come to this conclusion because you can't get a decent download rate on a weekend night, the very weekend that most bars in Thailand are shut, and you wonder why the Internet is a bit slow? :o

did you check the time of the post ?

did you check the time of the post ?

Yes, Sunday morning at 2:26 am. And at that time I was downloading 4 torrents at about 75kB/s total. Now, 3 of them have finished - 2 episodes of "Journeyman" and a music download of 3.9 GB. Total download: 4.6 GB in 3 days. At one time yesterday they were coming down at 150+ kB/s.

If you're still having trouble you should give us more details about what you're trying to download: number of seeds and peers, what s/w client you're using, etc. I've got no real problems with my Azureus set-up at the moment.