What Changes Would Farangs Like - After The Election ?

Ricardo

Just a Wish-List, for the sort of changes, which I think farangs would like to see, from whoever forms the next government :-

1. Relaxing the Visa-Laws, or at least no raising of the financial thresholds, for married/retirement-visas.

2. Enabling on-line 90-day notification of your current address.

3. Enabling travellers who hold long-term visas/extensions/work-permits to use the 'Thai-only' desks at Swampy-Boom.

4. The excise-duty on wine, under 10* proof, to be reduced to be the same as that on beer, with a slight rise in the duty on beer, so that the government still collects the same total money.

6. Farangs to learn to count correctly.

7. A general relaxation of the morality-laws, introduced over the past several years, which have made Thailand less-sanuk, for residents and tourists.

8. Low-cost airlines to be required to quote full-prices up-front, rather than 'teasers', which suddenly quadruple upon-booking.

What would you wish for ?

I would like to see the Visa regulations tightened up considerably. I mean I got mine last month from a British consulate. Just walked in, got the stamp and walked out five minutes later. How boring is that? I had been looking forward to an epic adventure of Kafkaesque proportions.

Oh and I would like to see the policy on foreign ownership of clothes tightened up. It’s very lax at the moment. I believe foreigner’s clothes should be owned by a Thai person, then the foreigner would have to enter into some sort of costly, painful and humiliating legal agreement to lease the clothes from the Thai.

It should be illegal to sell timeshares by telling poor innocent people they won some stupid prize and then highjacking them for hours. Punishable by death.

And more seriously, if property developers promise something, they should be held accountable. Not after 10 years of court wrangling either. Immediately.

Mine relate to marriage stuff, but here's my list:

1) Permanent Residency for non-Thai spouse

2) Opportunity for non-Thai spouse to apply for Citizenship have X number of permanent residency years.

3) Automatic work permit for non-Thai spouse (ie can work anywhere after marriage).

4) Ability for married couple to both have their names on Land/house purchased.

Just a Wish-List, for the sort of changes, which I think farangs would like to see, from whoever forms the next government :-

1. Relaxing the Visa-Laws, or at least no raising of the financial thresholds, for married/retirement-visas.

3. Enabling travellers who hold long-term visas/extensions/work-permits to use the 'Thai-only' desks at Swampy-Boom.

4. The excise-duty on wine, under 10* proof, to be reduced to be the same as that on beer, with a slight rise in the duty on beer, so that the government still collects the same total money.

7. A general relaxation of the morality-laws, introduced over the past several years, which have made Thailand less-sanuk, for residents and tourists.

8. Low-cost airlines to be required to quote full-prices up-front, rather than 'teasers', which suddenly quadruple upon-booking.

Free sex (legalizing prostitution). Create contractual relationships instead. Legal protection for both parties. I'm also lobbying for this in the United States. Plus free health care for anyone who has venereal disease, herpes, or AIDS. And a freeze on ATM transfers of more than $500 if made three days in a row from Pattaya.

Edited by farang prince

Mine relate to marriage stuff, but here's my list:

1) Permanent Residency for non-Thai spouse

2) Opportunity for non-Thai spouse to apply for Citizenship have X number of permanent residency years.

3) Automatic work permit for non-Thai spouse (ie can work anywhere after marriage).

4) Ability for married couple to both have their names on Land/house purchased.

These would be perfect :o especially if combined with some sort of intelligience and responsible behavior test.

On a lighter note.

If as farangs,we aren't allowed to vote.....we should be allowed to drink :o

Here here!

But I tend to find a well stocked drinks cabinet and wine cellar solves these little nuisances of Thai elections or any other "special day".

Chin chin

Free sex (legalizing prostitution). Create contractual relationships instead. Legal protection for both parties. I'm also lobbying for this in the United States. Plus free health care for anyone who has venereal disease, herpes, or AIDS. And a freeze on ATM transfers of more than $500 if made three days in a row from Pattaya.

Commenting further on that note, relaxing the 'morality laws' to what they were before 2000 , i.e more realistic opening times, less police busts and no random piss urine testing etc etc.

The changes I'd like to see after the election are (in no particular order) :-

Honest politicians. :D

Corruption free police force. :D:D:o

Good quality free education.

Good quality free, or reasonably priced, health care.

Clean streets (all over) and breathable air (Bangkok & Chiang Mai).

Clean rivers and sea.

There's a few more but that would be a good start. But, being a realist, I know if they could achieve just one of the above pigs would be applying for pilots licenses.

Glad to see that the thread is now running, in a light-hearted mode, as I'd originally intended. :o

10. Baht to gradually weaken, against western & asian currencies, to encourage tourism & exporters, and enable us farangs on overseas-incomes to continue to live in reasonable comfort, and boost the economy with our own spending.

Edited by Ricardo

I would like to see a special visa issued for sex tourists: A “non Imm, multiple entry (fnar, fnar) X Visa”. Then any foreigner caught engaging in any sexual activity with a local without an X Visa could be taken to prison and spanked in the Singapore style.

It would do wonders for the sex industry and generate billions of Thai Baht in bribes :-)

would like to see the following changes:

- further tightening and screening of tourists to curb child prostitution, drug trafficking, and crimes eg. tourists police to be more pro-active, profiling of tourists in the immigration (random check?), maybe police clearance for tourist visa application be implemented.

- relaxing the visa requirements for farang married with thai (keep family together) and retirees - holders of Non-O as these are the people who help boosts the economy by investment in homes (condominiums), cars, employing maids, deposit in the bank (fixed and savings), stock markets, employments for local people (company), etc.; tourist stays only for 1-2 months and spends obviously less than the long term Non-O holders.

- fair game for all farangs (foreigners) eg. curb the double pricing schemes on all establishments like in national parks. instead of charging more on farangs why not charge the same price (average price between locals and foreigners). if now, thai pays 40 and foreigner pays 200, why not charge 100 for both. they both use the park equally and the foreigner spends more on other things in the park anyway like refresments and souvenirs.

- regulate tuition fees on international schools and bilingual schools.

- abolish the 90 days reporting, this is non-sense.

- re-design the use of work permit. some institution are requiring work permit unreasonably eg. DTAC require work permits to activate international roaming for pre-paid subscribers, what for? they pay first before using the service, applying for fixed line services and ADSL and to many other services that obviously do not need work permits to apply for that a foreigner do not need to work in thailand to pay for them.

- support the fight against global warming!

- abolish the use of gasolhol. this is not efficient alternatives to fuel and it's eating up the farms that used to be planted to supply food for the country.

- finish the bkk-chonburi motorway within next year. to keep it in good condition, keep all the heavy truck in the leftmost lane and implement weighing stations in the toll gates. increas the tolls for these trucks so that they will have to use the local highways instead.

I would like to see the Thai government doing more to curb the overheating of the economy. It’s clear that the situation is critical with growth rates almost in single figures, GDP per capita having overtaken some of the world’s economic giants, such as Tajikistan, Eritrea and the Central African Republic, and inflation spiralling out of control. I mean I can remember the good old days when you could trade in your grandmother for two chickens and a mango. These days you’d be lucky to get a 50 baht top up card for your mobile.

Edited by ade100

The changes I'd like to see after the election are (in no particular order) :-

Honest politicians. :D

Corruption free police force. :D:D:o

Good quality free education.

Good quality free, or reasonably priced, health care.

Clean streets (all over) and breathable air (Bangkok & Chiang Mai).idiosyncrasies

Clean rivers and sea.

There's a few more but that would be a good start. But, being a realist, I know if they could achieve just one of the above pigs would be applying for pilots licenses.

That is wishful thinking.

Mine is also. Thailand to relax their anal retentive laws on owning a house in your name.They still get the money anyway & would allow Thailand to be less racist in the process!

I don't see how they can make the country that desirable if they want our money but not us. My friends would move up here, but under the current rules why! Indonesia is a better deal & they want your money & for the most part it has less racial Prejudices . I guess I am more tolerant & don't mind the idiosyncrasies of the way they do it here!

But really if they want foreign money interests here - they could do a little better!

A six month tourist visa would be nice.Whether you disagree with this on the grounds that people like me would use it as a kind of residency permit rather than for tourism,the fact remains that i can still do this by going to another country & getting the visa.Why not just have a 6 month tv,& have us pay it over to immigration rather than air fares & time spending money in another country.

Oh yes widely available Beer Lao & cheap wine would be nice. :o

I would like to see a special visa issued for sex tourists: A “non Imm, multiple entry (fnar, fnar) X Visa”. Then any foreigner caught engaging in any sexual activity with a local without an X Visa could be taken to prison and spanked in the Singapore style.

It would do wonders for the sex industry and generate billions of Thai Baht in bribes :-)

11. Free daily sex for Thailand-Elite card-holders ... just watch sales take-off ! :o

11. Free daily sex for Thailand-Elite card-holders ... just watch sales take-off ! :D

For the price of the elite card you could probably pay a hooker for 20 years anyways :o

(Well more like 3-4 years, but want kinda person pays a pro every single day!)

Edited by dave111223

Something I would like to see is a government directive that endorses companies to produce home use sausage making machines so all people can have access to fabulous breakfast or BBQ sausages made from healthy ingrediants found in one's refigerator. I can see that this will be popular with long term farang expats & should encourage their Thai spouses to re-elect the governing party.

Soundman.