Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

The tout told us our downloaded forms wouldn't be accepted. (Our downloaded forms printed on 2 sheets whereas the one he had was printed on one sheet - front and back)

I along with most others around me bought new application forms for 20 baht each with the threat that we may lose our places in the queue. But I did see one bloke successfully hand in a downloaded form so...

Where do the double sided downloaded forms come from? The official downloaded form is only a single sided and I've never had a problem submitting my application on it.

Visa Application Form

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The tout told us our downloaded forms wouldn't be accepted. (Our downloaded forms printed on 2 sheets whereas the one he had was printed on one sheet - front and back)

I along with most others around me bought new application forms for 20 baht each with the threat that we may lose our places in the queue. But I did see one bloke successfully hand in a downloaded form so...

Where do the double sided downloaded forms come from? The official downloaded form is only a single sided and I've never had a problem submitting my application on it.

Visa Application Form

Correct

Page 2 is the rules for a visa it is not part of the form.

You only need page 1.

I just came back from a quick run. (a point to note. Print the form available here and complete all the fields and attach your photos before you arrive. Make sure you have a copy of your passports "who you are" page. Ensure all your other needed documents are in order. Saves time and lessens your stress a bit.)

I left Monday morning via airasia to Udon and did the hoop jumping to the get to Laos and grabbed a taxi to the embassy. (negotiate the taxi price. I paid 200 baht, but they might go lower. A pet peeve, tuk-tuks are crazy pricey in Vientiane. Refuse their asking prices and walk. Saves you a ton of money you get to enjoy the scenery. Besides, a 20 minute walk is good for any one of us.)

I arrived at the embassy 10.30ish and had about 10 people in front of me in the queue. I was processed in about 10 minutes and was asked to go pay.

This is where they are a bit un-organized and perhaps a bit slow.

They called out names and people had to walk up and pay their fees. I was stuck in the waiting room a good 40 minutes and average estimates were that 200 people had submitted their applications before me.

Overall not bad at all, specially considering the <OMG HORROR> from many posters.

On the second day when I went to pick up the passport I decided to get there early, 11 am (and a friend said he'll do a later appearance).

At 11 they were still in full process of accepting applications, so I grabbed a seat inside the main indoors area.

The only difference this day was the queuing "system". They has numbered cards. There was much less confusion about who they called next.

At 12.40 they were still processing the last few applicants, and when that was done they asked us to leave, and queue up outside.

Outside was about 200 people waiting to pickup their passports. No queuing system was in place.

Many people queued up "normally" one after the other. Late arrivals decided to skip the line and started to form a ball of people at the front.

Queue cards were handed out, but many people missed to pick one up and had to go back.

Outside they would benefit from having a Hong Kong bus stop style (or Bangkok movie theatre style) queuing with clear indication where you should line up, one after the other. Having a guard managing the throng of people would be perfect. Also having the taxis and tuk-tuk's park on the opposite side of the road (and not directly in front of the entrance) or a bit down the road would be nicer.

It took them about 1 minute to process each person picking up the passport. I was out in about 20 minutes.

My friend who arrived later was out in about 1 hour.

I suggest coming really early and park your butt right outside to be first in line, OR come much later when the rush of people has disappeared. (This of course depends on your plans for the day).

Double entry still given to me, although I saw a few surprised faces when they only received single entries (One Italian for sure).

I was back across the border and at Udon airport with about 1.5 hours to spare before the last flight back to Bangkok.

Edited by filingaccount

Yes I can echo the previous post. I applied for the visa on Wednesday 14Jan, and there is a new number system that was just started. Since this is a new system, hopefully they will work the kinks out of it.

Issue #! - the person distributing the numbers is just inside the front entrance on the right (usually seated in a chair). I arrived about 9:30 AM and didn't even notice him because there are multiple touts right outside the entrance and the person handing out the numbers has 3-6 people chatting away. He doesn't volunteer to hand you a number - you have to know to ask. As a result, many people just head straight to the application window and then have to be told to get a number. There should be a sign or something advising of the system. Also, who exactly are these 3-6 people...are they also touts...they didn't seem to have any responsibilities or to be associated with the embassy.

Issue #2 - Once you figure out you need a queue number, there is no display or PA system to let you know what number they are processing. Again, this is a new system, so they hopefully have something in the works. I mean airline ticket offices, True payment office and even immigrations at Sathorn have L.E.D. displays so you know when to approach the desk.

Issue #3 - after you application is accepted, and you enter the main building to pay, at first they were using a PA system to announce when you should pay; however, after about 5 times they just stopped and started holding up applications and passports. Now, there are about 75 people in the room so unless you hovered around the counter, no way you would know you were being summoned.

Also unique for today was that apparently their computers crashed because when I first entered they were calling people fairly quickly, but then there was a good 30 minute period when nothing was happening. Finally they began holding up the applications at the counter. Once I saw mine and approached I paid the THB 2000 fee and the woman advised me to come back for my passport tomorrow. I asked her what about a receipt and she said "sorry our computers are not working" So, I left and will go back tomorrow with no receipt or anything....

In response to some previous posts, the downloaded visa application is accepted without a problem. But make sure it is the Thai Application which is unique to the Vientiane embassy. There are other generic Thai applications which are not accepted. You know it is the correct one if it has Vientiane Consular Section on top. DO NOT support these touts in paying them for services which are not required.

Also, there was a previous mention that you needed a photocopy of your Laos entry stamp - not true. You only need a completed application, 2 photos and a photocopy of your photo page of your passport.

I was there on a Wednesday and didn't bother to arrive early...I just showed up around 9:30 AM and I only had about 20 people before me...the best advice is stay away from Monday and it is fairly painless.

The printed out form from there website are accepted with no problem. These touts are thieves, getting 20 baht for a form, 100 baht to fill it out for you, one lady even payed a guy 20,000 kip just to show her where she could get her photo's taken.

Best advice, go prepared, have your paperwork filled out and ready before you go. Saves you time and hassle.

I sure hope that this numbering system they have in place now is not the one they said they ordered from Bangkok...

I just came back from a quick run. (a point to note. Print the form available here and complete all the fields and attach your photos before you arrive. Make sure you have a copy of your passports "who you are" page. Ensure all your other needed documents are in order. Saves time and lessens your stress a bit.)

I left Monday morning via airasia to Udon and did the hoop jumping to the get to Laos and grabbed a taxi to the embassy. (negotiate the taxi price. I paid 200 baht, but they might go lower. A pet peeve, tuk-tuks are crazy pricey in Vientiane. Refuse their asking prices and walk. Saves you a ton of money you get to enjoy the scenery. Besides, a 20 minute walk is good for any one of us.)

I arrived at the embassy 10.30ish and had about 10 people in front of me in the queue. I was processed in about 10 minutes and was asked to go pay.

This is where they are a bit un-organized and perhaps a bit slow.

They called out names and people had to walk up and pay their fees. I was stuck in the waiting room a good 40 minutes and average estimates were that 200 people had submitted their applications before me.

Overall not bad at all, specially considering the <OMG HORROR> from many posters.

On the second day when I went to pick up the passport I decided to get there early, 11 am (and a friend said he'll do a later appearance).

At 11 they were still in full process of accepting applications, so I grabbed a seat inside the main indoors area.

The only difference this day was the queuing "system". They has numbered cards. There was much less confusion about who they called next.

At 12.40 they were still processing the last few applicants, and when that was done they asked us to leave, and queue up outside.

Outside was about 200 people waiting to pickup their passports. No queuing system was in place.

Many people queued up "normally" one after the other. Late arrivals decided to skip the line and started to form a ball of people at the front.

Queue cards were handed out, but many people missed to pick one up and had to go back.

Outside they would benefit from having a Hong Kong bus stop style (or Bangkok movie theatre style) queuing with clear indication where you should line up, one after the other. Having a guard managing the throng of people would be perfect. Also having the taxis and tuk-tuk's park on the opposite side of the road (and not directly in front of the entrance) or a bit down the road would be nicer.

It took them about 1 minute to process each person picking up the passport. I was out in about 20 minutes.

My friend who arrived later was out in about 1 hour.

I suggest coming really early and park your butt right outside to be first in line, OR come much later when the rush of people has disappeared. (This of course depends on your plans for the day).

Double entry still given to me, although I saw a few surprised faces when they only received single entries (One Italian for sure).

I was back across the border and at Udon airport with about 1.5 hours to spare before the last flight back to Bangkok.

I want to caution any potential visa runners that although this poster managed to get his visa application in on time on this occasion, arriving on a morning flight could end up causing a lot of inconvenience if you don't make it to the consulate on time and you'd booked a return flight the next day.

This poster managed to get to the consulate at 10:30am on a quiet day, but that's cutting it fine and...

There are 3 distinct possibilities that could result in a person not making the consulate on time:

1. A flight delay.

2. A long wait for a Laos VOA on a busy day.

3. A very busy day at the consulate.

Any of these problems could result in you having to apply the next day and you would have to change your flight at an Air Asia ticket office which is costly at such short notice.

Play it safe and arrive the night or day before and allow for 2 nights away.

Any of these problems could result in you having to apply the next day and you would have to change your flight at an Air Asia ticket office which is costly at such short notice.

Or you could buy a one way ticket to Udon, and buy the return flight immediately after successful submission of your application. Even a last minute airasia ticket, at worst, is about equal to another nights stay in Laos.

My return flight booked Monday (flight Tuesday) was only 2000 baht including all taxes and fees.

Edit: Oh, of course you get your VISA at the Laos consulate in Bangkok well in advance.

If you plan well then I do not foresee any trouble with a one night "run".

Edited by filingaccount

Just came from Lao.

Having learned a lot from the BMs & experts of this unique website is mostly fair sharing my first Lao's TV trip.

First of all, my excuses about my poor written English :D .

I took the train Bangkok-Nong Khai on Monday at 6.30 pm (Hualampong St.), arriving Nong Khai at 6.30 am. Tuk tuk from the St. to the border (30 baht). Mini-bus connection to the Lao border (20 baht). Taxi from there to the new consulate (200 baht), arriving time: 7.15 am.

On that early hour only one guy was standing up. 20 minutes later about 30 more on the queue. At 8.15 I counted 60 on the line.

A few minutes before 8.30 the gate was open and the porter handled a ticket number to everyone & we walk to the application zone, where they are plenty of seats.

Less than 3 minutes the numbers 1 & 2 were called.

Handle my Passport, the application form with 2 photos + a Passport's copy.

Very politely, the young officer only asked (to reconfirm) if I wanted 2 TV entries as I wrote on the form.

Then, to the next building to "pay money" for the application.

Well seated & waited for no more than 15 mnts, the lady on the desk started to call by the same numbers, giving a receipt of the paid 2.000 baht.

Tuk tuk to the Hotel had coast me 100, since I was very tired from the sleepless night I didn't argue the price.

There's a lot of guesthouses near Fa Ngum Rd. I choose Vayakorn Guest House (560 baht). Nice place, modern, clean rooms, TV, hot shower, etc. Only the usual fridge was missing.

Looking at the time I amazingly noticed not 9 am yet, which means only 30 minutes after the Consulate gate was open! when I was mentally prepared, after read some BM's reports, last there 2 or 3 hours. After a quick shower a delicious American/English style breakfast - eggs, bacon, ham, sausages, beans, orange juice, coffee, all accompanied with a fresh breath baguette (160 baht).

Than, walk around to find out more of this lovely small town.

Went shopping to the morning market, coz cold, I bought a winter jacket outside the commercial center for 500 baht (inside, a similar jacket, coasts 3 times more).

Back to the Hotel I saw on the way plenty of nice restaurants & mentally fixed one French restaurant "Le Provencal".

Decided to have a good dinner, no matter the price, I got there at 6pm.

Order a sirloin steak (imported) with french fries & salad plus an "assiette de fromages" and of course, to join this excellent meal, 4 (or was it 5?) beerlao. "check bin" after an expresso coffee, less then 700 baht (only the assorted cheese was half of that total).

Pleased with my dinner's choice I walked straight to the Hotel for (finally) get a deserved relaxing & sleeping night. Standing up at my Hotel's corner a beautiful young girl almost have ruined my plans, ready to go with me but somehow I found the strengths to decline her generous offer :o , having in mind what I had read somewhere about the severe penalties of "taking a girl to your room" which in Lao is against the law :D .

Anyways, after a good night sleep I wake up 9.30 taking again a magnificent breakfast & 12.10 a tuk tuk to the Consulate.

Surprisingly, already on line about 35/40 folks and at 1 pm more then 150 behind me. Due some smart ass "jumpers" I got the number 66.

I was a little bit worried as I wanted to catch the 2pm international bus to Udon Thani. At 1.25, to give the Passports, they finally started to call the numbers. 10 minutes later I had mine, with that 2 SPLENDOROUS TV STAMPS shining inside :D .

Quickly I got a tuk tuk to the bus station (at morning market), bought the ticket to Udon (80 baht) at 2 pm. Just on time J

Udon Thani – Bangkok by bus.

Overall, my trip to Lao was nearly a perfect experience but next time I'll avoid the uncomfortable train's trip going by bus (or plane) to Udon and stay longer, perhaps 2 or 3 nights in Vientiane.

On aside note, especially for those who are living in Bangkok, I recommend to get the Lao visa at the Lao's Embassy (1.400 + 200 urgent). You have it in 15 minutes.

I'll just get home from Vientiane!

I arrived at the Lao border at 12:30pm Monday and there were about 70 people ahead of me. After 1½hrs I got my Lao-visa.

I got to the Thai consulate the next morning at 8:00am and there were about 20 people in front of me.

8:25am they opened the gate and we all got a queue number. Then we just sit outside and wait for our number to be called. After ½hrs my number was called and I'll hand in my passport and copies of my passport front page, Lao-visa and my entry stamp to Laos.

After that I went in to the building to pay for my visa, I still had my queue number.

The numbers was called out and I pay my 2000 baht for a double entry tourist visa. Everything was done at 9:30.

The next day (Wednesday) I got to the consulate at 1:30pm and there were a lot of people ahead of me. Everybody got a queue number at the entree. We had to sit outside and wait for our number to come up. They called 30 numbers at the same time.

When my number come up I went inside and wait a little more until I could collect my passport and visa.

It took only 40 minutes from that I arrived at the consulate to I had my passport and visa back.

At the Thai border there were no questions asked and I got my 60 days.

Sorry for my poor English.

Edited by Momar

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

i did not meet anyone who was refussed or had any problems!

Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :o

If this country is serious about restoring confidence in itself,why not get a visa program together and stick to it accross the board.Then no surprises at whatever immigration port you frequent,or better still,report once a year.If its all about money,just pay the money once a year and its done.To simple?

It is good to see that the Thai Consulate in Vientiane has 'streamlined' the procedure with numbered cards, etc. I am sure it's way better than the clusterf*ck it was on the first day they opened the 5th of this month.

Then again as my grandfather used to say; "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while."

I forgot to mention in my previous post that you should wear winter clothes in Laos because its very cold there right now. I'm from a cold country so I thought that I was used to 'cold'. Boy, was I wrong! My six years in Thailand has probably changed my body. We where provided with extra blankets at my hotel but I was still shaking of cold. So bring some warm clothes if you going in the near future.

Or you could buy a one way ticket to Udon, and buy the return flight immediately after successful submission of your application. Even a last minute airasia ticket, at worst, is about equal to another nights stay in Laos.

My return flight booked Monday (flight Tuesday) was only 2000 baht including all taxes and fees.

Edit: Oh, of course you get your VISA at the Laos consulate in Bangkok well in advance.

If you plan well then I do not foresee any trouble with a one night "run".

You were lucky with your price and timing because today it would have cost you 3,375 baht for a return ticket booked the day before. Right now I can get a cheaper return ticket (1,500) purchased one week in advance than the cheap one-way you purchased the day before. Either way, you'll be paying double or more to do it your way.

You'll only have to be delayed a short while and you'll miss putting in your application on time. A two night stay guarantees a trouble free and relaxing trip.

Going to BKK to get a Laos visa is not an option if you don't live in BKK. Even if it is an option, you're still wasting time doing something you can do at the border in 5 minutes if you arrive in the early evening.

Edited by tropo

I will be getting my visa on 22nd Jan. and my passport runs out June 23rd 2009, that gives me the 6 months validity, but how do I work it to renew my passport? (Canada)

My Friend, if the date you quote is correct then that is only 5 months validity in your passport.

To reiterate another poster, it is best to get to the Embassy early. I have been twice for double entry visas (successfully), the first time they shut the gate around 10:30am, the second time they shut the gate around 10am and would not let in any more applicants, no matter how much they begged, saying that there were already too many inside waiting to be processed (about 100). They say they are open until 12 noon, but that is not true of the gates. However, I believe they process all those inside the Embassy grounds even if the time goes past 12.

I will be getting my visa on 22nd Jan. and my passport runs out June 23rd 2009, that gives me the 6 months validity, but how do I work it to renew my passport? (Canada)

My Friend, if the date you quote is correct then that is only 5 months validity in your passport.

To reiterate another poster, it is best to get to the Embassy early. I have been twice for double entry visas (successfully), the first time they shut the gate around 10:30am, the second time they shut the gate around 10am and would not let in any more applicants, no matter how much they begged, saying that there were already too many inside waiting to be processed (about 100). They say they are open until 12 noon, but that is not true of the gates. However, I believe they process all those inside the Embassy grounds even if the time goes past 12.

Thanks very much for this report of the gate closing at 10am and 10:30am on different occasions. I can't track them down, but there's been other reports of the gates closing early too.

I feel I've been spitting in the wind when I'm trying to convince people that arriving in Laos in the morning has a good chance of failure. ie. arriving at the conculate too late. This can become an expensive mistake if they have booked a return flight for the next day.

Just back today from applying.

I read the whole thread and followed all the advice, and planned to be there 7.30am. Of course, got up late, arrived 9.45am and no queue whatsoever (really) I just walked straight up to the counter. I think perhaps because it's Friday and most people don't want to time it so they have to wait over the weekend.

I handed all my correct paperwork. I had to go back to the gate because I hadn't taken a number. So, the number isn't just if it's busy, they actually write it on the application, then in the next building they do them in batches and you have the same number. So, remember to take a number from the guy in the little hut to the right, even if there's no queue.

I waited in the next building, about ten people there, for about ten minutes. Then was called. I'd written X2 so paid 2000 baht. He told me to keep the queue number as it was the receipt, and bring it back monday.

So I went back to the first room and used the toilet, nice and clean. But I was worried, why no receipt? So I went back to the first window the guy from the second room was there. I asked for a receipt and he said I could have it Monday.

So, I started walking home. I got about... 150 meters, with my mind mulling it over. I recalled a guy here who asked for X2 but got a single entry. When my passport was taken, he put 2000 baht inside, then put it in a pile with about 250 other passports (many of which will have 1000 baht in). What if they issue single hoping I won't notice, and keep 1000? I decided to go back and insist on a receipt.

So I went there and met this English guy outside who was early (three hours early) for a pick up. He showed me a printed receipt and said he was given it when he paid, but there was this Thai guy walking round helping people, saying he was the consulate, and the Farang said this was the case, so I grabbed him (I grabbed the Thai guy I mean).

He was really friendly, I explained the issue and he said there was a power cut, but they would perhaps handwrite one if I asked. So I went back to the second building and asked. He again refused, but said that he would remember I'd paid 2000. I saw the guy who was reputedly the consulate and he was behind the counter walking round like he was in charge... presumably they don't let touts do that, plus all the lights were off and there was no aircon, so I guessed it was true.

And that was basically it, so it seems OK here. Just a couple of points for the lovely people here:

1 - The form I printed from this thread was accepted.

2 - I met two seperate people who couldn't apply as no pictures available in surrounds, bring yours.

3 - There's a Xerox next to window one, signed for public use, though perhaps easier (safer) to do it before you get there.

4 - The map I printed from the consulate website was misleading as it doesn't show every road. If you look at it and think it's the first right off Singha road after the momument.... that's not it. A better direction is 'Go along Singha Road and TAKE THE FIRST RIGHT AFTER THE VIETNAMESE CONSULATE, which is on the right side of the road and has obvious English signage.

5 - Walking time was about 40 minutes.

6 - I only needed PP copy, not Lao visa.

I got back here and logged in to post this, and read elsewhere on the forum that from Wednesday, all tourist visa fees will be suspended, so if I had have gone then, it would have saved me 2000 baht! Oh God, at least it's done now.

I'll post again if I don't get the double/a receipt.

Thanks to previous posters for all the useful info that meant I at least I had some idea what I was doing.

I got back here and logged in to post this, and read elsewhere on the forum that from Wednesday, all tourist visa fees will be suspended, so if I had have gone then, it would have saved me 2000 baht! Oh God, at least it's done now.

I'll post again if I don't get the double/a receipt.

Where did you read this. I believe they are considering it at this stage, but nothing definite has been decided upon as yet.

Edited by tropo

Anyone with experience getting an emergency renewal of a passport from Canadian embassy? Will have to apply Monday and get it back by Tuesday afternoon, to fly out Tues eve. So if I can't, and I have only 5 months left on my PP, I wont be able to get a Laos visa, so will have to get a 1 month tourist visa from Jacks? Thx rice pudding, I just counted Jan-june is 6 months...

Even if I was to get a new pp by 130pm on Tuesday, would have to get the visa transferred at Suan plu as well, would there be time? I could get there about 2pm.

Or could try and get a Laos visa in bkk, tell them my situation, and then go to Vientiane and just get a 3 month tourist visa?

And if that fails, Jacks for 15 days? giving time to process new PP and then back to Vientiane...

Oh sorry, did I read that wrong? I only went through the thread briefly (re: suspension of visa fees), and thought I saw the date of 20th Jan.

Still, if I'm wrong, then it's less frustrating as applying later wouldn't have saved me any money.

They were still charging on Wednesday so you may be correct re the 20th. being the starting date.

Can anyone give me a rundown of all the paperwork I will be needing for a single entry tourist visa? Just want to make sure I have all the details correct. Thanks for the help.

Your passport. 2 passport size photos. 1,000 Baht . Application form.

Is something missing here? Don't you need to make copies of your passport as well?

There were 3 large slow queues at the Thai immigration on our way back into Thailand on a Tuesday afternoon. Our truck/ songtaew driver said for 20 baht each he could get our entry stamps quick at another unused immigration window across the road. Seemed worth a try so 4 of us paid out, then walked past the queues, past the immigration officers and waited for 5 mins in the songtaew for our driver to return with stamped passports. Not sure if any risk involved, but if you want to try, ask the drivers waiting just as you've gone through the Laos immigration whether they can do same for you.