Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Good to hear this venue still sort of tourist "friendly"

I've never been but I'm considering this location for my next renewal.

One thing I don't know though, is if there are visa agents performing the same type of service provided in Penang, e.g. without having to go in person to the embassy.

Should such agents be available, can anyone recommend one or two of them.

Thanks in advance,

i used this man on //bar link removed//

chris

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No - you have to go in person in Vientiane. I have never heard of, or seen any such service here (am in Vientiane now).

Sorry i not understand your post!

I used a agent there, the link has been removed but basically his no is (020) 5708036 his name is soubin! :o

chris

So you can get an agent to do the leg work for you?You dont have to go to the consulate in person?

I sometimes think theres less problems if they are faced with only a passport.

Also funfun,did you have a few previous tv's before this double entry?

So you can get an agent to do the leg work for you?You dont have to go to the consulate in person?

I sometimes think theres less problems if they are faced with only a passport.

Also funfun,did you have a few previous tv's before this double entry?

sorry for late reply!

well not so much less leg work as he is right outside the consulate/ embassy but yeah i know what you mean, and if ya not there they cant ask any questions!

yep tvs pennang and loas and now first x2

chris

I see no reason why a 'first worlder' or someone holding a passport from one of those countries would even consider using an 'agent' in Vientiane. It is NOT Penang Malaysia by any stretch of the imagination.

I just returned to Bangkok from there Tuesday afternoon getting my education visa and wrote a post here in the forum about my trip;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159442

The Lao people on the street just in front of the Thai Embassy sell the forms, fill them out, make copies, and I believe even have a photo stall there for pictures. DO take an umbrella as they force you to stand in the sun until the embassy gate opens at 8:30, and again the following day until they open at 13:00 to get your passport back. Arrive EARLY, I got there at 7:50 and there were over 20 people in line with close to 150-200 in line by 8:30. Same for picking up your passport the following day, get there early.

Several people who were near me in line were there for tourist visas, and I mentioned they should write next to the Tourist Visa box you check either 'X-2' or '2 Entry'. They were all charged 2000 baht and the next day received their 60 day - double entry tourist visa. one girl from the Philippines in line was only charged 1000 even though she'd written '2 Entry' on the form, but I cannot tell you why.

Every person I spoke to in line who put '2 Entry' was given it without a bank book.

Your results may vary, but that's what happened on Monday the 17th and Tuesday the 18th.

Good Luck. ..

P/S: I attached (or tried to) the correct visa form for use at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, this is the weblink;

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

Visa_Form_for_Thai_Embassy_in_Vientiane_Lao_PDR.pdf

Edited by tod-daniels

I see no reason why a 'first worlder' or someone holding a passport from one of those countries would even consider using an 'agent' in Vientiane. It is NOT Penang Malaysia by any stretch of the imagination.

I just returned to Bangkok from there Tuesday afternoon getting my education visa and wrote a post here in the forum about my trip;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159442

The Lao people on the street just in front of the Thai Embassy sell the forms, fill them out, make copies, and I believe even have a photo stall there for pictures. DO take an umbrella as they force you to stand in the sun until the embassy gate opens at 8:30, and again the following day until they open at 13:00 to get your passport back. Arrive EARLY, I got there at 7:50 and there were over 20 people in line with close to 150-200 in line by 8:30. Same for picking up your passport the following day, get there early.

Several people who were near me in line were there for tourist visas, and I mentioned they should write next to the Tourist Visa box you check either 'X-2' or '2 Entry'. They were all charged 2000 baht and the next day received their 60 day - double entry tourist visa. one girl from the Philippines in line was only charged 1000 even though she'd written '2 Entry' on the form, but I cannot tell you why.

Every person I spoke to in line who put '2 Entry' was given it without a bank book.

Your results may vary, but that's what happened on Monday the 17th and Tuesday the 18th.

Good Luck. ..

P/S: I attached (or tried to) the correct visa form for use at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, this is the weblink;

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

Thanks for that report. If I could add one thing re your comments about arriving early. It's probably better to say 'don't arrive at around the opening time'. I was there a few weeks ago (also got a double entry TV). I arrived at about 10.30 on the first day and there were only 5 or 6 people in front of me to hand in their applications (I downloaded mine from the website as per your link), I had to wait about 45 minutes in the cash office but at least its airconditioned. On the next day I arrived to collect my passport at around 1.20 pm after the rush and there was nobody waiting at all.

You are invariably correct, I didn't even think about arriving LATE, which would have put me there well after the 'rush hour'. Looking back now it makes way more sense if you have the time.

I was unsure how fast I could get from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane after picking up my passport at 13:00 across the border and to Udon for my flight at 17:40 back to Bangkok, so erred on the side of caution.

Tourist Visa x2 received np yesterday. 2000baht.

(I also think its a good idea to go early (if applying for x2), even if later beats the rush hour(s). Personally I was concerned there may be some kind of quota for the day. Although tbh it would seem noone is getting refused at the moment for a double regardless of the time).

Tourist Visa x2 received np yesterday. 2000baht.

(I also think its a good idea to go early (if applying for x2), even if later beats the rush hour(s). Personally I was concerned there may be some kind of quota for the day. Although tbh it would seem noone is getting refused at the moment for a double regardless of the time).

You're probably correct about going early in case they have a quota. I actually went as early as I could - I'd travelled overnight on the bus from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. The next day I was in a hurry to get to Nong Khai as I wanted to catch the sleeper train to BKK and hadn't booked a ticket but I got 'delayed' talking to a cute Laos girl in a restaurant, I nearly didn't make it at all......... Would I have been able to pick up my passport a day later in that case I wonder ?

No - you have to go in person in Vientiane. I have never heard of, or seen any such service here (am in Vientiane now).

I used a agent there, the link has been removed but basically his no is (020) 5708036 his name is soubin! :o

chris

That was very dodgy mate! _ yes, you got away with it, but I did see some African gentlmen and Phillipinos plus Caucasians get asked to "step inside" (that only covered building to the left as you enter) as they were not there in person. How they knew - I know not. But it is definately bad form to suggest using the guys outside the place to do your work for you. Definately....NO!!!!!!

one girl from the Philippines in line was only charged 1000 even though she'd written '2 Entry' on the form, but I cannot tell you why.

I wonder why she paid 1000. Usually Filipinos and all other ASEAN citizens don't pay for a tourist visa or a Laos visa.

Great thread, it has answered almost all my questions...im almost due as my tourist visa's expired a few days ago and i just got a local immigration extension...now most of the successful applications on here were by people with new(clean) passports....i have 2x double entry tourist visa's in my passport already...so total of 4 entries, plus extension stamps...will this lower my chances of getting another Double Entry when applying in Laos?

Do any of the guys on here who have just receieved TV's from lao have previous TV's in theyre passport?

Any help much appreciated

Great thread, it has answered almost all my questions...im almost due as my tourist visa's expired a few days ago and i just got a local immigration extension...now most of the successful applications on here were by people with new(clean) passports....i have 2x double entry tourist visa's in my passport already...so total of 4 entries, plus extension stamps...will this lower my chances of getting another Double Entry when applying in Laos?

Do any of the guys on here who have just receieved TV's from lao have previous TV's in theyre passport?

Any help much appreciated

I had 20 months worth of TVs and visa exempts (including one triple entry TV) and they gave me a double entry TV with no questions asked.

TVs and 2xvisa exempts totalling 14 continous months. Passport is a mess with stamps and TVs. Plus last 30 extension has 1 day overstay. Took bank book and documents regarding source of income/savings, but no questions asked.

Edited by eek

I used a agent there, the link has been removed but basically his no is (020) 5708036 his name is soubin! :D

chris

That was very dodgy mate! _ yes, you got away with it, but I did see some African gentlmen and Phillipinos plus Caucasians get asked to "step inside" (that only covered building to the left as you enter) as they were not there in person. How they knew - I know not. But it is definately bad form to suggest using the guys outside the place to do your work for you. Definately....NO!!!!!!

bangkok gas, i used an agent that i said

"his no is (020) 5708036 his name is soubin"

you say

"I have never heard of, or seen any such service here (am in Vientiane now"

so whats that mean i tell lies or somthing?????

then you say

"That was very dodgy mate"

then you go on to say

"But it is definately bad form to suggest using the guys outside the place to do your work for you. Definately....NO!!!!!!"

why??????

i used an agent who i was happy to deal with and posted on here to let people know he didnt skank me, ie we all help one another and tell of good and bad things that happen ok

Now you keep saying no no no as if you have been or you know someone who has been robbed by this guy, now if thats the case post it.

I am not saying im right, im saying this is what i did and it worked for me and at the moment some people need all the help they can get.

There are visa agents in all the places we falangs go for visas, this one is the same, he makes money by helping us with his knowledge and friends etc, he has a food stall and buisness cards, same as all rest!

as for dodgy! its dodgy to out in london on your own after 8pm!!

Dont take this peronally bangkokgas if i make a mistake im the 1st to appollogise, but it does get up my nose when someone says im wrong without saying somthing positive! :o

I will add that every Lao person I spoke to in and near the Thai Embassy as well as at my hotel said the increase in people coming there for a Thai Visa (what ever the type) has increased each month. There is no telling how long they will remain fairly 'visa friendly' at the Thai Embassy there. I didn't see how they were over-worked as at 12 they close the counter where you turn in your forms whether there are people in line or not.

As a reply to the poster who asked why the girl from the Philippines was seeking a tourist visa, but only got a single entry, I honestly don't know. I do know she was there with her Aussie husband who already had a Type B visa and they had lived in Thailand more than a year. I watched her mark '2 entrys' on her application. The people inside the air-con building where you pay evidently are the ones who decide. She was ahead of me in line and people who were behind me and were not asian were charged 2000฿. All I spoke to the following day received double entry. It did not appear to be a 'quota' kind of thing, more an arbitrary decision by the people behind the windows taking your money inside the office.

Good that your 'agent' worked out for you, although you don't say what you paid, so I can't comment on the value of such a "service". I would state again from my observation it is certainly NOT required. I'd never been there, and it was about as easy as anything ever is in S/E Asia to figure out, perhaps easier; given the lao peoples superior english abilities compared to the thais.

I also saw some people pulled aside when we turned in our paperwork; mostly what looked to be nigerians. It appeared their paperwork was vetted more thoroughly than mine, but I have no idea why that was.

To anyone thinking about going; it is really about the easiest, most painless process to go thru and Vientiane is a great place to see.

My experience there a couple of months ago was easy, but your nervousness does play into these agents hands because you think they know more than you, which isn't necessarily the case.

I was nearly duped both at the Laos border and the Consulate, but in both instances just managed to realise I didn't need their help.

Because I made the journey by bus the pressure was on to get it right first time and not spend a weekend there kicking my heels or getting 'delayed' by delightful young Laos girls.

I will add that every Lao person I spoke to in and near the Thai Embassy as well as at my hotel said the increase in people coming there for a Thai Visa (what ever the type) has increased each month. There is no telling how long they will remain fairly 'visa friendly' at the Thai Embassy there. I didn't see how they were over-worked as at 12 they close the counter where you turn in your forms whether there are people in line or not.

As a reply to the poster who asked why the girl from the Philippines was seeking a tourist visa, but only got a single entry, I honestly don't know. I do know she was there with her Aussie husband who already had a Type B visa and they had lived in Thailand more than a year. I watched her mark '2 entrys' on her application. The people inside the air-con building where you pay evidently are the ones who decide. She was ahead of me in line and people who were behind me and were not asian were charged 2000฿. All I spoke to the following day received double entry. It did not appear to be a 'quota' kind of thing, more an arbitrary decision by the people behind the windows taking your money inside the office.

Good that your 'agent' worked out for you, although you don't say what you paid, so I can't comment on the value of such a "service". I would state again from my observation it is certainly NOT required. I'd never been there, and it was about as easy as anything ever is in S/E Asia to figure out, perhaps easier; given the lao peoples superior english abilities compared to the thais.

I also saw some people pulled aside when we turned in our paperwork; mostly what looked to be nigerians. It appeared their paperwork was vetted more thoroughly than mine, but I have no idea why that was.

To anyone thinking about going; it is really about the easiest, most painless process to go thru and Vientiane is a great place to see.

Todd

"Good that your 'agent' worked out for you, although you don't say what you paid, so I can't comment on the value of such a "service". I would state again from my observation it is certainly NOT required. "

Fair comment

i hadnt used one there before but reading on here about the people getting refused i made the decision to

as i said in an earlier post here

"just to add

just been pm and asked about the agent i used, and why and how much and is he safe? well you never 100% sure but heres my thoughts

agent outside the gates to the right at a food stall, he approached me so ill presume he would you if you go near the food stall.

was safe for me, bit worring sure giving your passport and money to a dodgy looking geezer but ask questions you know he cant do then should he lie hes gonna take ya to cleaners any way!

just sort of say can i have a 6 month and if he gives you back passport laughing you know your on right track.

definatly increased chances, when you look on here people going on a monday etc and getting a kb, that gezzer is making money from his result now he is friends with the guys in office at least and prob giving a bung to em so if a bit of paper work is just not right they have the ability and incentive to make it work.

yep i did pay him some money about 400 bhat for running into a office, good money for him sure, but flip the coin if i hadnt got exactly what i wanted then i had wasted a lot more!

i have posted his no somewhere might be on website but if ya cant find it let me know, but you shouldnt have any problems mate, good luck for jan

chris"

Thats it in a shell, there nothing to say i would have been refussed, but if i had it would have cost a lot more time & money

chris

Chris,

I'll expand. Whilst it is obvious in Penang that agents can be used (and in deed I have used them before), there is a scary sign outside the embassy in Laos saying that every applicant must apply in person or....else? Words to that effect anyway. I'd have used one and sat by the mekong and had a beer rather than go, just was'nt on I was told.You experienced otherwise and good luck to you. Apologies if my wording was a little "strong".

Cheers,

Gas

When the Thai visa office in Vientiane was at the former place - it was easier - although the tiny room with no open windows was horrible place to wait for hours.

At least for awhile, there was a bright young man helping out. I think he was a Thai working in that department. He acted as a liaison for big dumb farang like me. He would come up to the people who were close to getting their #'s called and would quietly ask them what type of visa they were going for and advise them in a pleasant manner what their best options were.

Such methodology is miles better than what usually happans a Thai embassies. The usual way has the farang confused and worried. When he finally gets to the counter, his blood pressure is pounding and he's hoping he has all the documents perfect and he says the exact correct thing in the precise polite manner, and his appearance is neat, and he's clean shaven and debonnair. Hoping upon hope that the person at the counter wil look upon him kindly and allow him decent service.

The whiz kids who stay abreast of this section of the Thaivisa forum - are at an advantage, because they keep up on much of the latest twists and turns. But the average joe feels like he's a fish floundering in a turbulent sea - at the mercy of the person at the desk counter.

It doesn't have to be that way. The process could be so much smoother if there were one or two liaison people interacting with the farang waiting their turn. Farang would be ecstatic to help fund the salaries for such people - perhaps one at each foreign Thai consulate - particularly the offices which perfunctorily turn down requests - because there's a piece of paperwork missing or the wrong box got checked by mistake, or some little thing that could be fixed - but the workers often don't have the patience to allow for such unpreparedness on the part of farang.

All indications are Thai Imm dept doesn't want things to run smoothly. they appear to want farang to be on edge and unsure of procedures. Perhaps it makes it easier for the desk worker to say, "no visa for you. Next please."

Chris,

I'll expand. Whilst it is obvious in Penang that agents can be used (and in deed I have used them before), there is a scary sign outside the embassy in Laos saying that every applicant must apply in person or....else? Words to that effect anyway. I'd have used one and sat by the mekong and had a beer rather than go, just was'nt on I was told.You experienced otherwise and good luck to you. Apologies if my wording was a little "strong".

Cheers,

Gas

No worries gas, and it is, horses for course's, people are out there to rip us off, and that is where thai visa forum helps 100% keeps us upto date with scams etc and all this that we write on here will unfortuatly change again in a few months cos we'll all prob be going back to pennang again or cambodia or somewhere else!

if ya ever in Pattaya call in soi 6 corner bar ill get you a beer, wont be beer laos (shame)! :o

chris

Just an FYI...

Anyone who may be contemplating the trip to Vientiane for their visa.

I peruse Air Asia's site regularly to snap up cheap fares. Right now they are doing a 99baht (++) one way to Udon Thani and have the same price for return towards the end of January 2008. It works out to 1,442.36 THB r/t with all the taxes and miscellaneous surcharges.

I called Air Asia to see if they gave a discount if I would buy ‘X’ number of tickets. They told me unless I could guarantee to take EVERY seat on the plane they wouldn't budge on their pricing and to look for their promotions. Perhaps I didn’t talk to a person high enough up on the food chain, but after 20 minutes of being routed thru person after person, presumably going higher up the ladder of responsibility I gave up.

Just an FYI...

I peruse Air Asia's site regularly to snap up cheap fares. Right now they are doing a 99baht (++) one way to Udon Thani and have the same price for return towards the end of January 2008. It works out to 1,442.36 THB r/t with all the taxes and miscellaneous surcharges.

These fares change at a moments notice for different flights on different days. I bought 2 free tickets to Udon Thani last month. How do they survive with such low prices?

Just an FYI...

These fares change at a moments notice for different flights on different days. I bought 2 free tickets to Udon Thani last month. How do they survive with such low prices?

"I bought 2 free tickets to Udon Thani"

:o

how can you buy somthing for free!!!

"How do they survive with such low prices?"

tropo'

Your flying it!!!!!!! :D

I came back with air asia on 13/14 dec all i paid was 1,400 all in

air asia have an annoying little habbit of putting fares on really cheap maybe start frr then 99 bhat the fuller the plane seems to get the more it goes up!

you can call them from border to enqure if they have seats the reply might be yes sir we have 39 avaible seats and they 1450 bhat

you can call on the way to airport cos if full ya might as well go udon, yes sir have 15 seats 1695 bhat!!!!

I like air asia in as much as they frequent and prices good, but ever a problem your getting tret like dirt!

chris

"I bought 2 free tickets to Udon Thani"

:D

how can you buy somthing for free!!!

"How do they survive with such low prices?"

tropo'

Your flying it!!!!!!! :D

Because if you don't buy them, you don't get them. :o

As you know, even if the ticket is free you still have to pay fuel surcharge and taxes etc. My final price was 1241 return.

hi all

Very helpfull thread in these turbulent times at Penang.

I usualy do go to Penang but,after reading all the posts about it and speaking to a malaysian agent on the phone,i am definatly heading to Laos

I've only ever been to Laos one time and that was years ago.At that time i had to apply for a Lao entrance visa through an agent in Bkk,but i understand now you can just go to the Nong Kai border and just pay for a Lao visa on entering the country is that correct? If so what would be the cost in BHT?

I think i did see that you could do this but the post was a little vague so could someone please take the weight off my mind and confirm that for me please :o

Also can anyone recommend a few cheap places to stay as i am on quite a tight budget.

thanks.

Lippy