Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Just got back from Vientiane and received a double entry tourist visa.

Thanks for the report.

Just a few questions:

Did you apply on Monday or Tuesday?

You said you arrived at 10:30am. How long did the whole process take?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got there on Monday. It took almost an hour to get to the desk where you hand the guy your passport. It seemed that a lot of people were not applying for the tourist visa and maybe that's what caused the delay because when I got to the desk I was done in under 5 minutes. The guy asked me if I wanted a double entry tourist visa, I said yes and then he told me to go pay inside room. The room where you pay was full with about 20-25 people and I waited for maybe 30 minutes. I also noticed that around 11:40 they closed the gate and I saw people outside trying to show their paperwork to the immigration staff inside the gate.

I got there on Monday. It took almost an hour to get to the desk where you hand the guy your passport. It seemed that a lot of people were not applying for the tourist visa and maybe that's what caused the delay because when I got to the desk I was done in under 5 minutes. The guy asked me if I wanted a double entry tourist visa, I said yes and then he told me to go pay inside room. The room where you pay was full with about 20-25 people and I waited for maybe 30 minutes. I also noticed that around 11:40 they closed the gate and I saw people outside trying to show their paperwork to the immigration staff inside the gate.

Thanks Motoyen. I was always curious about what happened if you came late....so it would seem that if you get in before they close the gate (11:40) they will still process your application even well after noon.

If you'd arrived earlier it may have taken longer to process your application.

Edited by tropo

Thanks Motoyen. I was always curious about what happened if you came late....so it would seem that if you get in before they close the gate (11:40) they will still process your application even well after noon.

Yeah I wondered about that too as it got closer to 12:00 and I was still waiting in line but everyone who got in before the gate was closed had their applications processed.

Yeah I wondered about that too as it got closer to 12:00 and I was still waiting in line but everyone who got in before the gate was closed had their applications processed.

Most people try to get there early. I got there at 8 am and waited outside for the gates to open. On the particular day I arrived (Thursday) it would have been much faster to arrive after 10 am because very few people arrived after 9 am and I would have gone straight through.

Edited by tropo

Last Wednesday (13th Feb) I arrived at around 11 a.m. Let the guy out front fill out an application and xerox the forms needed which took maybe 5 mins. Gave him a hundred baht. Went inside compound to hand in application and there were 2-3 people there. Was processed within 5 mins and then went inside the building to await payment. I was the only person in there and probably waited no more than 5 mins before I was called to pay. Whole process took no more than 15 minutes. BTW, got double entry.

I'm taking the bus from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani tomorrow night (Monday night), then I'll be taking the minivan to Vientiane to get my TV. If all goes well I should receive my TV on Wed morning right? (keeping in mind the bus gets to Udon Tue morning).

My question to you is, I want to fly back to Chiang Mai. There is a flight on Wed at 3:30pm. Is it possible to go to the embassy, pick up my tourist visa, go through the border and make the flight?

What do you think?

I really don't want to take that 13hour bus ride back to Chiang Mai.

I'm taking the bus from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani tomorrow night (Monday night), then I'll be taking the minivan to Vientiane to get my TV. If all goes well I should receive my TV on Wed morning right? (keeping in mind the bus gets to Udon Tue morning).

My question to you is, I want to fly back to Chiang Mai. There is a flight on Wed at 3:30pm. Is it possible to go to the embassy, pick up my tourist visa, go through the border and make the flight?What do you think?

It would impossible to pick up your passport at 1 pm and make it back to Udon Thani in time for a 3:30 pm flight.

There are often long queues at the Friendship bridge at both ends - both leaving Laos and entering Thailand.

If you don't want to bus it back to Chiang Mai, then why not stay in Vientiane for an extra night?

Edited by tropo

I'm going to Laos for my TV tomorrow, do you guys recommend going in the morning or after 10am?

Going by reports here and what I've experienced myself, going after 10 am would be a good idea. You need to make sure you get inside the gates before they close them at around 11.40 am.

Edited by tropo

A couple more questions:

1. Does it matter what you wear? (I'm not planning on going there in a tie, but I'll look respectable)

2. I printed the form from the link on this forum (thanks) but does it need to be 2 sided or does 2 pages work?

3. I have a few questions on the VISA form, can you open attached copy of the form I filled out, there's only a couple questions on the form.

Thanks guys!!

visaquestionsit8.jpg

If the form is the Vientiane marked copy they will accept it (should be single page front/back) but they do not seem to accept the official MFA application yet.

1. Tourism for a tourist visa.

2. Date you plan to enter Thailand (this trip).

3. Land or Air.

4. Last visit only.

5. 60 days for tourist visa is good.

6. As a guess it would be Laos and then Thailand but I always just put "self" for such questions so does not matter. As long as you can show the 20k or 40k funds if asked there should not be a need for guarantor.

My question to you is, I want to fly back to Chiang Mai. There is a flight on Wed at 3:30pm. Is it possible to go to the embassy, pick up my tourist visa, go through the border and make the flight?

What do you think?

You would be very lucky if you make that flight, also check in ususally closes around 45 minutes before departure, I guess you are flying Nok to Chiang Mai, and as far as I know, they only fly this route three time in a week.

A couple more questions:

1. Does it matter what you wear? (I'm not planning on going there in a tie, but I'll look respectable)

2. I printed the form from the link on this forum (thanks) but does it need to be 2 sided or does 2 pages work?

3. I have a few questions on the VISA form, can you open attached copy of the form I filled out, there's only a couple questions on the form.

Thanks guys!!

visaquestionsit8.jpg

It's acceptable to leave the last section regarding guarantor blank.

Update: Stuck in Laos..I did everything you guys suggested. My paperwork looked great and then just as the guy was about to say pay at the counter he said, "You have no pages left in your passport" I said what does that mean? He said I have to get more pages from the US embassy. I went to the embassy they are backed up so I have to wait another day, which will delay everything even longer.

So be aware...make sure you have enough pages in your passport before coming over. I had two blank pages, but they were not "VISA" pages.

Go figure.

Update: Stuck in Laos..I did everything you guys suggested. My paperwork looked great and then just as the guy was about to say pay at the counter he said, "You have no pages left in your passport" I said what does that mean? He said I have to get more pages from the US embassy. I went to the embassy they are backed up so I have to wait another day, which will delay everything even longer.

So be aware...make sure you have enough pages in your passport before coming over. I had two blank pages, but they were not "VISA" pages.

Go figure.

"Stuck in Laos..I did everything you guys suggested. My paperwork looked great"

No it did Not!! you didnt have enough paperwork!

chill out and enjoy laos, forget the time table, you only live once surfer, please post your visa update mate

cheers

chris

Be thankful you have a passport that can have additional pages added. Many can not.

In my passport the visa pages are clearly marked "Visas" and the extra two "Amendments and Endorsements" but understand how you may never have noticed that. Live and learn.

Go figure.

I could think of worse things then to be stuck in Vientiane !

Have a nice Beer Lao dark and taste the fabulous food, have a nice Som Tam Lao, and wash it away with some Bia Lao sot.

Have fun :o

Off to Laos next month to get a double tourist visa, what di I need to bring with me? I have had one tourist visa already just wondering if I need any papaerwork? Also was gonna fly to Vientienne from Bangkok, is the embassy near the airport? Also do I need to get a visa b4 i fly to laos for laos? Or can I get it on arrival??

Be thankful you have a passport that can have additional pages added. Many can not.

In my passport the visa pages are clearly marked "Visas" and the extra two "Amendments and Endorsements" but understand how you may never have noticed that. Live and learn.

You've got that right. Surfer808 is very fortunate indeed.

I'd be totally screwed because I'd need to apply for a new Australian passport.

On a New Zealand passport it would be even worse because I'd have to send the documents and my passport back to New Zealand and wait for a new one to be sent from Wellington. That could take weeks provided my documentation was in order.

Off to Laos next month to get a double tourist visa, what di I need to bring with me? I have had one tourist visa already just wondering if I need any papaerwork? Also was gonna fly to Vientienne from Bangkok, is the embassy near the airport? Also do I need to get a visa b4 i fly to laos for laos? Or can I get it on arrival??

You'll need some photos. 1 for your Laos visa on arrival and 2 for your tourist visa application.

You'll need a photocopy of your passport ID page for your visa application.

Download HERE the visa application form and fill it in before you go to save time. Glue your 2 photos to the application form (they don't like staples).

Good luck and please report back here.

Edited by tropo

No need to prepare anything (apart from the 3 photos). Just let the guys in front of the embassy fill in the forms, make the right photocopies, and attach your photos. Not free ... but a 100 baht is not really a large price for it .... If you don't have the form, they supply it for 20 baht.

This all sounds like good news to me. I have been shitting it recently. I have a Non Imm B multiple at the moment, which is about to run out.

Had planned to go to Hull and get another next month. But due to family problems don't think I can afford the flight til later in the year.

Has anyone had success with obtaining a 2x Tourist visa after their original Non Imm B has ran out?

I went to Ventianne, Laos and got a 60 day tourist visa without a problem (renewable for 30 days I'm reckoning, but don't remember where I'm supposed to do this). Went with the girlfriend (as I have done the last two times as well) and put her name down as guarantor. Didn't have to show any funds or return airline ticket - just the visa application form, two photos and copy of my passport.

There was one applicant there who was asking for a multiple entry visa, which they had apparently refused him. He was flashing his cash and asking her repeatedly why he couldn't get one and stressing repeatedly that he was married to a Thai. He then went over to the next woman and asked her why as well, and she told him that he needed to go to immigration in Bangkok. He was a bit irate and didn't get what he wanted, at least in the time I was in and out of there.

Edited by Shuddee

I went to Ventianne, Laos and got a 60 day tourist visa without a problem (renewable for 30 days I'm reckoning, but don't remember where I'm supposed to do this). Went with the girlfriend (as I have done the last two times as well) and put her name down as guarantor. Didn't have to show any funds or return airline ticket - just the visa application form, two photos and copy of my passport.

There was one applicant there who was asking for a multiple entry visa, which they had apparently refused him. He was flashing his cash and asking her repeatedly why he couldn't get one and stressing repeatedly that he was married to a Thai. He then went over to the next woman and asked her why as well, and she told him that he needed to go to immigration in Bangkok. He was a bit irate and didn't get what he wanted, at least in the time I was in and out of there.

He was most likely asking for a multi entry non immigrant O visa. Penang would probably issue and Singapore would with 400k in bank account. KL might issue. But most other local Consulates will only issue single entry and expect you to extend your stay at an Immigration office inside Thailand. The problem comes when they do not have monthly family income of 40k that they can use for the extension of stay.

i also read on here how you were more likley to get a x2 refused on a monday, so with it been a public holiday on monday i treated tuesday as a monday and i applied on a wednesday!

and additional info just on my trip is

Chers chris :D

Hi,

I "discovered" this website last week, looking for some info wether I could apply for another Thai visa without leaving the country for 3 months or not.

(I was here the last 5 months, first on a 2 month visa from my home country - Belgium - + 1 extension, and after that a 2 month tourist visa from Penang (including the "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again" stamp :o ).

I left Thailand on February 6th for a ferw days Laos and China. I arrived today in Vientiane, hoping to get the multiple entry visa.

I am just a bit worried about this Monday "thing".

It seems strange the embassy would have different rules on different days of the week.

What's the advise ?

Just go to the embassy tomorrow Monday, or wait till Tuesday ?

Many, many thanks for your advice, and for this great website.

I'll let you know if all worked out.

Cheers,

Koen.