Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

well if you read this and other posts some people did say it could be for workload that you might not get a tourist x2 (double entry) on a monday so if time is not important maybe go tommorow.

"I arrived today in Vientiane, hoping to get the multiple entry visa."

sorry cant help ya on that one, dont know anything about them visas.

"Thai visa without leaving the country for 3 months or not."

if ya get a tourist x2 that should get ya 60 days on entry to Thailand (same as ya pennang one did)

then 30 days top up at immigration office, thats 3 months

and giving you the a Cambodia border run like ya did last time but x2 you should get 60 days again, thats 5 months,

with still another border run to go leaving ya an emergency one left

"I'll let you know if all worked out"

cheers!

chris

oh and welcome as ya new!! :o

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am just a bit worried about this Monday "thing".

It seems strange the embassy would have different rules on different days of the week.

What's the advise ?

Just go to the embassy tomorrow Monday, or wait till Tuesday ?

I know this is a bit late, but I don't think there is NOW any distinction between days of the week (Mon-Fri). People have reported success on Monday with double entry tourist visas.

I want to keep this thread alive if possible.

Any more good news from Vientiane?

Edited by tropo

I am just a bit worried about this Monday "thing".

It seems strange the embassy would have different rules on different days of the week.

What's the advise ?

Just go to the embassy tomorrow Monday, or wait till Tuesday ?

I know this is a bit late, but I don't think there is NOW any distinction between days of the week (Mon-Fri). People have reported success on Monday with double entry tourist visas.

I want to keep this thread alive if possible.

Any more good news from Vientiane?

I just came back from Vientiane this morning WITH A DOUBLE ENTRY Tourist visa - applied for Monday. For convenience, no need to wait in line etc. I used Rungsangtravel.com (02 525 1819) to do all my paperwork etc.. It was all done very efficiently, we left by bus Sunday night, and the trip was more like a "fun mini-vacation". Because of Rungs knowledge of the area and people we had a good time. Most agencies just "drop you off" and you spend a boring 2 days waiting for your visa.

Total cost for a "single entry" 6500 bath (I applied for and receive a double entry).

Paul P

I just came back from Vientiane this morning WITH A DOUBLE ENTRY Tourist visa - applied for Monday. For convenience, no need to wait in line etc. I used Rungsangtravel.com (02 525 1819) to do all my paperwork etc.. It was all done very efficiently, we left by bus Sunday night, and the trip was more like a "fun mini-vacation". Because of Rungs knowledge of the area and people we had a good time. Most agencies just "drop you off" and you spend a boring 2 days waiting for your visa.

Total cost for a "single entry" 6500 bath (I applied for and receive a double entry).

Paul P

Did you not have to attend the embassy? This is the first time I've heard of agents doing everything.

Was the 6,500 baht the total cost of the visa run from Bangkok? Did this price include the $30-35 Laos visa? Where did you stay in Vientiane?

PS. I just checked the web site you gave. It's very difficult to understand, but it indicates that you have to "please go to the line and waiting for stamp by ur self". Could you clarify this.

(It would be great if they could find someone who could translate the page into English)

post-34982-1204141217_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropo

Thanks for the welcome Funfun :o

Glad to confirm that I applied, and received, a double entry visa.

I applied on Monday, so it seems to work out fine.

Altough I received my passport back on Tuesday 26th, the date of issuance was Monday February 25th (can't recall whether it's like that in other embassies as well).

The lady from the guesthouse I stay now in Tha Bo was surprised I got a double entry on Monday, so there could be more in that story that they might refuse it .....

I entered Thailand on Febr. 26th, and got 60 days, i.e. permitted untill April 25th.

Am I correct that I can extend this with 30 days, so till May 24 or so ?

I will have to leave the country then on May 23 (as the visa states 'enter before May 24'), and return the same day, to get another 60 days, which I can extend again with 30 days ?

So I should be fine till approx. August 20 ?

As I plan to go home at the end of September, can I go for 2 visa runs with entry stamps after August 20 ?

If so, by receiving a double entry visa, you are safe for about 9 months after that as I see it; correct ?

Fyi, I arrived at the Thai embassy around 08.45 hrs and waited in line till about 11.00 hrs to hand over my papers (passport + 2 photo's + copy of the main page). Then I had to wait till about 11.45 hrs to pay in the other building.

Receiving the next they goes really fast, and as nobody was complaining, I assume everybody got what he/she asked for.

Many thanks again for the great advise on this website,

Koen.

Correct.

slight thing

(as the visa states 'enter before May 24') think that is applying to when you start the visa off, which is already done ie if you would have stayed in laos till may 25 you would have had to reapply (i think anyway)

did you sample the beer laos????

His final entry must have been made by that date (24 May). I read it as he will exit/return on the 23rd so should be fine.

Correct, that's how i want to do it.

Did not sample the Beer Lao too much this time as I was exhausted from a terrible 2 weeks in China, but did plenty of that during previous visits to Lao :o .

Many thanks,

cheers !

Edited by koenie

I guess that embassy gets a lot of additional business since Penang is out of the picture.

Wonder how long they will continue to be so generous.

Another week or so, before I can sample the Bia Lao Sot (Draught Beer Lao) again, the holy grail of SEA beer.

And not to forget the Beerlao Dark :o

Thanks for all your helps guys. I had no problems (except for the delay because I had no pages in my passport) but it was a good thing because I met a lot of new friends there and I ended up staying a week longer than I anticipated. So I got my TV and my double stamp, no problem.

My new question is this: Because I had so much fun in Vientiane, I want to go back again in a couple of weeks. Because I already have a TV for Thailand for 60 days, do I have to get another stamp or is this going to cause trouble leaving Thailand when I just received a Tourist Visa?

Or since i have my TV already, can I just leave and return as long as it's within the 60 days with no problem?

Please advise...thanks!

That tourist visa was used on entry into Thailand - you were stamped in for 60 days - if you leave that is the end of your allowed stay. You can keep the 60 day stay alive with purchase of a re-entry permit prior to travel, cost 1,000 baht and a photo. You would use that as your visa information when you return and get the same permitted to stay until date.

If you do not obtain the re-entry permit you can still return on your second tourist visa entry and get a new 60 day stamp from entry date.

Thanks, where do I get a re-entry permit? Can I obtain one here at Chiang Mai immigration?

That tourist visa was used on entry into Thailand - you were stamped in for 60 days - if you leave that is the end of your allowed stay. You can keep the 60 day stay alive with purchase of a re-entry permit prior to travel, cost 1,000 baht and a photo. You would use that as your visa information when you return and get the same permitted to stay until date.

If you do not obtain the re-entry permit you can still return on your second tourist visa entry and get a new 60 day stamp from entry date.

Posted this in the Penang Forum by mistake because the subject at the time was Vientiane but......

What is the best way to get from Phuket to Vientiane? Are there direct flights? Also when staying in Vientiane what to do? Can some visa runners please give me some tips?

Posted this in the Penang Forum by mistake because the subject at the time was Vientiane but......

What is the best way to get from Phuket to Vientiane? Are there direct flights? Also when staying in Vientiane what to do? Can some visa runners please give me some tips?

The absolute best way (fastest) would be to fly from Phuket to BKK and then directly from BKK to Vientiane on Thai Airways. This would also be the most expensive way.

The second best way (cheaper) would be to fly from Phuket to BKK and then from BKK to Udon Thani (AirAsia, Nok Air) and then take a 1 hour ride to the border by mini-van available at Udon Thani airport.

If you're looking for a budget way, then land travel is the way to go. I have no details on that as I always fly.

I'm copying this recent report from another thread over to here so we can keep all the successful Vientiane tourist visa runs in one thread:

Visa run to Vientiane

Came back yesterday morning from visa run to Vientiane. Wonderful town. Took the overnighter VIP 999 from Chiang Mai - Udon Thani. Left at 8 pm arr. at 8:00 am. from there grabbed a taxi to the border 600 baht (but could had ridden the leisurely bus and still made it in time for the Thai consulate in Vientiane. At border filed out application for Lao visa $35 or 1400 baht. handed it in at window on left and 10 minutes later received the visa on window on right. Then one must buy a 15 baht bus ticket to cross over to immigration. Whizzed through that after paying 20-30 baht entry fee. At Lao border found a taxi for 300 baht that drove to Thai consulate on the road from the Morning market (dalat sao) and the huge picturesque Patoxay monument (which is a different address than the Thai embassy-mention visa). At consul you go to the tent on the left and hand them filled out visa form, 1 photo, 1 photo of first page in passport. You can secure the visa form and photocopy to the right of the entrance to the Thai consul for 100 baht. Then go inside building and wait for up to 30 minutes for your name to be called. pay 1000 baht for single entry 60 day (plus 30 day extendable) visa or pay 2000 baht for the double entry visa (60 day). Extendable?

the next day pick up visa from 1-3 pm. Get a room in center of town back toward morning market. Go in town. Accomodations $12 and up on several roads leading to the river west of the Lao History museum, which you can take in for free. Good French restaurants. Excellent coffee. Baguette and coffee on waterfront run 20,000 kip, equal to 65 baht. BeerLao is excellent and cheap (not to be confused with LEO).

Return to Chiang Mai

Bus from Morning Market for 80 baht to Udon Thani leaves at 7:30 am 11:30 am 2:00 pm 4:00 pm and one more later.

Arrive in Udon Thani bus station #1 and take a tuk tuk to bus station #2 for 50 baht. Bus to Chiang Mai from there VIP, 1st class or the next class down. prices range from 630 baht (VIP) to (350 baht lower class) VIP departs 8:00 pm arrive in Chiang Mai at 7:00am. First class leaves at 7:30; lower cost bus leaves at 7:00pm-Enjoy your trip

I just need to make one important correction here.

You'll need 2 photos (preferably glued onto the application form's blank photo spaces) plus a photocopy of the ID page of your passport.

Now this should be fun. I am going to laos (already have my 2 visa enrty, this is to activate 2nd - with three Japanese ladies who have a "history" in their passports. Mostly, three or four t.v.'s from Penang/and or Vientiane, and are basically doing nothing in Thailand (much like my Japanese wife!). I'll let you who are interested know what transpires - in fact, in a perverse sort of way, I am interested too!

Got my double entry without any trouble this monday at the Vientiane embassy.

But I think next time I will go on another weekday. There where at least 4 busses arriving at the Friendship Bridge border crossing at the same time, so complete chaos there. Took us 2 hours to get the visa for Laos and cross the border. So it may be time well spent for the Bangkokians to get the Laos visa from their embassy in Bangkok first.

Threw the wife and myself into a taxi on to Laos side, and went straight for the embassy...and it took another hour and a half baking in the sun to deliver the application, 2 passport pictures attached and copy of ID page of passport, as there where so many people.

Also did not have hotel booked, so had to trawl the city for accomodation, all the good hotels where full.

Anyway, the only question asked was if I wanted a double entry.

Else, plenty of places to eat and drink in Vientiane. But expect to be hassled by beggars if you eat at the outside, open air restaurants and sidewalk places.

Now this should be fun. I am going to laos (already have my 2 visa enrty, this is to activate 2nd - with three Japanese ladies who have a "history" in their passports. Mostly, three or four t.v.'s from Penang/and or Vientiane, and are basically doing nothing in Thailand (much like my Japanese wife!). I'll let you who are interested know what transpires - in fact, in a perverse sort of way, I am interested too!

It will not be a problem. I went there with "history", and not a hiccup.

Got my double entry without any trouble this monday at the Vientiane embassy.

But I think next time I will go on another weekday. There where at least 4 busses arriving at the Friendship Bridge border crossing at the same time, so complete chaos there. Took us 2 hours to get the visa for Laos and cross the border. So it may be time well spent for the Bangkokians to get the Laos visa from their embassy in Bangkok first.

Threw the wife and myself into a taxi on to Laos side, and went straight for the embassy...and it took another hour and a half baking in the sun to deliver the application, 2 passport pictures attached and copy of ID page of passport, as there where so many people.

Also did not have hotel booked, so had to trawl the city for accomodation, all the good hotels where full.

Anyway, the only question asked was if I wanted a double entry.

Else, plenty of places to eat and drink in Vientiane. But expect to be hassled by beggars if you eat at the outside, open air restaurants and sidewalk places.

This is something I intended to mention before, but it slipped my mind.

TAKE AN UMBRELLA TO SHELTER FROM THE RAIN AND THE SUN!

An umbrella is an essential item when going to the Thai Embassy. It started to drizzle the morning I arrived but we were lucky it stopped soon after. We would have been drenched if not because there is no shelter.

Got my double entry on Monday as well, no questions asked..I had just finished a double entry non B plus have 3 years of tourist visas in my passport..Lao is still good to go...second the call for bringing an umbrella, it can be baking hot standing in line in the sun for an hour...i showed up early both for giving the application and for pickup so it wasn't too bad....i'd also advise people to print out the application form as available earlier in this post..the guys outside the embassy all want 20 baht for the paper...or you can wait until everyone goes in, and then pick up a form inside...chok dee.

Got my double entry on Monday as well, no questions asked..I had just finished a double entry non B plus have 3 years of tourist visas in my passport..Lao is still good to go...second the call for bringing an umbrella, it can be baking hot standing in line in the sun for an hour...i showed up early both for giving the application and for pickup so it wasn't too bad....i'd also advise people to print out the application form as available earlier in this post..the guys outside the embassy all want 20 baht for the paper...or you can wait until everyone goes in, and then pick up a form inside...chok dee.

Thanks for the report. It's good to hear from another person getting a double-entry tourist visa.

• 2 weeks later...
Good for you!

I have never heard of this.

How does one apply for a Tourist visa X 2?

Does that mean you received 2 separate Tourist visa stickers in your passport?

Did you submit 2 applications at the same time?

Thank You for any additional information you may be able to provide.

I just returned from Penang where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa. I also had a stamp on the Transit visa saying "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again".

Why have you been denied a tourist visa in Penang, can you give more information ?

Thanks.

it would appear that penang is no longer bieng helpfull and to some people on the visa is stamped "not to return, its on another thread so that why seems to be a good option at this moment, the Thread on pennang click here

cheers chris

there was no tv denied. penang allows max 3 tv in the last you get a red stamp and you need a returnticket bocked hotel

Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know that myself and my three friends managed to obtain a double entry tourist visa last Friday with no questions asked.

Fully enjoyed the trip and the Beer Laos! Seems that Vientiene is the place to go at the moment!

Good to hear!

Good for you!

I have never heard of this.

How does one apply for a Tourist visa X 2?

Does that mean you received 2 separate Tourist visa stickers in your passport?

Did you submit 2 applications at the same time?

Thank You for any additional information you may be able to provide.

I just returned from Penang where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa. I also had a stamp on the Transit visa saying "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again".

Why have you been denied a tourist visa in Penang, can you give more information ?

Thanks.

it would appear that penang is no longer bieng helpfull and to some people on the visa is stamped "not to return, its on another thread so that why seems to be a good option at this moment, the Thread on pennang click here

cheers chris

there was no tv denied. penang allows max 3 tv in the last you get a red stamp and you need a returnticket bocked hotel

"there was no tv denied."

eh?????????

"where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa."

or this

Post #21

Group: Members

Member No.: 29,672

REJECTED:

"had only one previous tourist visa in my passport. Hence I was not affected by the max-three visas rule, which others have written about here on thaivisa".

"there was no tv denied. penang allows max 3 tv in the last you get a red stamp and you need a returnticket bocked hotel"

My thoughts are when you quote this above, are that your view that all visa staff are 100% of the rules, it would seem there is no consitancy is any of the embassys/ consultes here in asia , to which presumibly you are on here like everyone else, and the probobility of getting one at the mo in laos, is probobly the reason behind this forum!