Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I just returned from Vientiane, applied for a double entry tourist visa on thursday and picked it up on saturday. No questions about my bank account or onward ticket at all.

Does anybody know of a good place in Bkk to change Kip back into Baht though? :o

Did not know that they open on Saturday.

You meant picked up Friday?

Please keep the facts correct.

Thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These folks also do a once weekly organized tourist visa run, leaves BKK Ekkamai via tour bus on Sunday evening, I believe. All inclusive price around 5,000 baht... I haven't use them for that, but have for routine border visa runs, and they do a good job.

http://www.thaivisarun.com/map.htm

The web site doesn't mention the tourist visa runs, but you can call them for the details...

I've used both. The Vientiane Run is just as good, except for the Road Tu (VIP man instead of Coach).

Does anybody know of a good place in Bkk to change Kip back into Baht though

I don't think you can change Kip outside of Laos, infact I think it is illegal to take more than a bit of loose change (several million kip) out of the country.

You will need the name of a hotel when you fill in the application. Just name no reservation needed.

i've never needed the name of a hotel to cross the border, but i have needed one at the consulate in applying for my Thai visa. i just put "Mixay" guest house; i never remember the name of the guesthouse i'm actually staying at but everything near the river is called "Mixay" it seems. they're alright with it even if "mixay guesthouse" doesn't exist; they just want their application filled out.

preliminary report:

well i did the dreaded monday at the consulate.

the good news is that all the rumors about them not handing out 2x tourist visas on monday appear to be false; i'll know in about 10 min and post tomorrow. (i'm in vientiane, picking up my passport after i post this).

the bad news is: still, if you can avoid it, don't go on monday. yesterday might have been especially bad because of the holiday on thurs, but it was massively crowded. i didn't get there until 10 min to 8 (normally i get there by 7.30 at the latest). there were around 250 people waiting (that's an estimate, i didn't count).

most of these people turned out to be a) filipinos/filipinas and B.) part of visa run tour groups. they still had to go through the line themselves. about the same number of farrangs as any previous trip but the number of asians going to vientiane as part of visa run tour groups has increased massively if this is any indication.

it took until 11 for them to process me and give me my receipt. by 11 they had shut the gate and weren't letting new people in, and the line (inside the consulate) to drop off passports still extended to the gate. another mystery solved, sort of---it appears that rather than turn you away when you're queued up at noon, they cut off the line early if it's crowded so they can process everyone who's already inside.

i'm not certain but i think once you get your receipt and it says 2x visa they've already decided to give it to you. but i'm just basing that on the fact that it says 2x visa on my receipt. will confirm that i got it when i get back to bangers tomorrow, as well as post a cost breakdown.

one other thing for the 'dont' llist' --if you're even a little bit tall, DO NOT take the aircon seated train ticket. fan soft seats are fine but the aircon seats are tiny and close together. it's been 2 days and circulation still hasn't returned to my legs yet.

Edited by zeusbheld

ps

another reason i'm fairly well convinced they've decided to give you a visa once they ask for money is that the receipt not only says 2000 baht it has a visa number on it. my guess is the extra day is just to print visa and update their records but i'm just guessing.

indication.

it took until 11 for them to process me and give me my receipt. by 11 they had shut the gate and weren't letting new people in, and the line (inside the consulate) to drop off passports still extended to the gate. another mystery solved, sort of---it appears that rather than turn you away when you're queued up at noon, they cut off the line early if it's crowded so they can process everyone who's already inside.

I really need to stress this point to help anyone deciding to do a visa run on a Monday.

If you've prebooked a flight back to Bangkok on the following day and you miss getting through to lodge your application you'll blow your return flight as you'll have to stay an extra day.

If you go on a Monday either allow for an extra day in Vientiane or go to the Consulate VERY early. To be safe I would suggest getting there by 7am.

I'll be going on a Wednesday next month, but I still plan to get there very early.

Sorry for stupid question- if all I need is a visa exempt stamp - i.e. a 30 day not-really-a-visa-because-i-only used one such stamp this year- do I have to do anything other than enter laos at the bridge in nong khai and wait a few minutes, then go back through again?

Is there anything I am missing or should be careful about?

Thanks very much..

(edit: also if anyone knows.. my passport will soon run out of empty space.. does this mean I have to get a new one? What happens if an official doesnt find any space in a passport?)

Edited by OxfordWill

I don't think you can change Kip outside of Laos, infact I think it is illegal to take more than a bit of loose change (several million kip) out of the country.

Hmmm, thinking you might check out one of the bars in Bangkok that carry Beer Lao, just for fun, they might let you buy one with kip!!

Do a google for: bangkok beer lao

And, if you still have a wad full by early December send me a PM, present plan is to go up for a week and I could probably use the kip, at exchange rate of that time, that is.

Mac

Sorry for stupid question- if all I need is a visa exempt stamp - i.e. a 30 day not-really-a-visa-because-i-only used one such stamp this year- do I have to do anything other than enter laos at the bridge in nong khai and wait a few minutes, then go back through again?

Thanks very much..

(edit: also if anyone knows.. my passport will soon run out of empty space.. does this mean I have to get a new one? What happens if an official doesnt find any space in a passport?)

My impression is that in your case all you have to do is exit and then immediately re-enter to get your next 30-day "exempt" entry stamp. If you aren't on overstay or have not used the 90 days in 180 days then you should have no problems. You probably should have evidence of an "onward travel ticket" in case they ask and you do need some space for them in your passport.

If you are a USA citizen, you can go to the Bangkok embassy (citizen services) and have extra pages added to your passport at no cost (at least it was free a few years ago). If you are of a different nationality you can probably do the same at your embassy but best to call your embassy that is most convenient to you and check.

Martian

Edited by Martian

Thanks very much..

Yes you can cross border and come back from info you have given.

The rule is 90 days total over a period of 6 months. If your entry was more than 6 months ago then you are good for 90 days.

Just cross bridge and come back. You will have to get a visa on entry which is 1500 baht or $35.

It doesn't have be Nong Kai for the crossing it can be one of many.

You will need a full passport page for the Lao visa and then enough space to put the exit and entry stamps.

US no problem to get extra pages. UK means a new passport. Other countries I have no idea.

sorry i m a bit confused over the whole visa issue and would love someine to make it simple for me :D

if i go to lao and get the tourist visa x2 what exactly do i get.

1. when i come back to thailand can i stay for 60 days without needing to do aything?

2. Can this then be extended for another 30 days?

3. What does double entry mean?

4. Can I travel out of Thailand on this visa and if so will I need a re entry visa?

5. What can I do after the 90 days is up?

help a visa duffer please :o

sorry i m a bit confused over the whole visa issue and would love someine to make it simple for me :D

if i go to lao and get the tourist visa x2 what exactly do i get.

1. when i come back to thailand can i stay for 60 days without needing to do aything?

Yes

2. Can this then be extended for another 30 days?

Yes

3. What does double entry mean?

After 60 days plus extension you can go out and come back and get another 60 + 30 days.

4. Can I travel out of Thailand on this visa and if so will I need a re entry visa?

Yes But the time left left on your entry/extension will still decrease wihle you are out.

5. What can I do after the 90 days is up?

Answer #3.

help a visa duffer please :o

Glad to help.

Edited by ubonjoe

sorry i m a bit confused over

[/color]3. What does double entry mean?

After 60 days plus extension you can go out and come back and get another 60 + 30 days.

The one additional point to note about using a double-entry tourist visa is that your entitled second use of the visa (after the initial 60 days plus 30 day extension, if you pay for one at immigration) must be initiated prior to the expiration date on the original visa

update: got my 2x entry tourist visa no problem. submitted on a monday morning, so the bad monday myth is semi-false as i reported previously.

total cost door to door was under 9,000 baht by train from bangers, including dvds, 1000 baht worth of coffee, etc.

if you're running out of pages you need to get pages before you get a visa. we americans are lucky. i went to pick up my visa... and they didn't put it in, because the pages that remained in my passport were for endorsements or some such crap.

i commandeered a tuk tuk and hustled over to the US consulate, got pages put in, and was back at the thai consulate within 1/2 hour, including tuk tuk rides. the extra pages were free.

Hmmm, thinking you might check out one of the bars in Bangkok that carry Beer Lao, just for fun, they might let you buy one with kip!!

Do a google for: bangkok beer lao

And, if you still have a wad full by early December send me a PM, present plan is to go up for a week and I could probably use the kip, at exchange rate of that time, that is.

Mac

Thank you! I'd even give a slightly better than current exchange rate just for getting the kip of my hands 55555 :o

ok i am on the 6am flight tomorrow to Udon.

it would be great if someone could write a definitive list of what is needed and where

how many pictures are needed? are they needed at the border as well as at the embassy?

is the form for the tourist visa available online?

etc

sorry i have flicked back through the thread and it seems hard to find all the info in one place

why did this happen to you, buddy?
I just returned from Penang where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa. I also had a stamp on the Transit visa saying "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again".

Don't worry about it. That was last year and things have changed since then in Penang.

Please note that this is a thread about tourist visas from Vientiane, Laos.

Hi all,

I'm going to be doing a visa run this week to Vientiane and I'm rather excited as it'll be my first time in Laos as I've gone to Penang in the past. I've read through this entire thread in the last few hours, a lot of great info - thanks to all who shared!

I was wondering if anybody would have a guesthouse or hotel that they'd recommend in Vientiane? My budget is from 500 BHT - 1,000 BHT though cheaper is always better. I guess I fall into the flash packer category of traveler, what I prefer in a room is quiet, air con, clean, and secure. Doesn't have to be fancy at all.

Thanks for any advice!

I've stayed at Aroon Residence near the embassy, The Riverine on the river, and I've also heard Vayakorn is a great questhouse. All about in your price range.

i'm in vientiane now and just went this morning (monday) to apply for my visa- what a freaking nightmare. got there at 7:15 am, there were probably 50 people in line already, mostly filipino and nigerian. seems like half of nigeria is here right now in fact! the thing is, by 8:30 when the office opens, the line had gotten about 75% longer in front of me because all the nigerians seem to know each other so when big groups of them arrived at about 8:25 they all went straight to the front of the line to be with their "friends" and pretended they had been there all along. so it really doesn't matter when you get there, i suggest arriving at 8:30 and going straight to the front of the line rather than wait for an hour and 15 minutes only to be number 300-something anyway. also it is so HOT after about 9:30- i actually passed out in line, a nice (nigerian) man in front of me steered me towards a seat in the shade where i waited for the next hour for my part of the line to catch up to me. i suggest bringing water and a hat or umbrella. also, how inefficient can this consulate be? first you have to wait hours in line to submit your application, then you have to go to another line in order to pay- why the f*** don't they just do it all at once??? rrrg. it makes for a pretty grumpy crowd. i finally got out of there at about 11:30am. not looking forward to going back tomorrow. on a positive note, the hotel i am in is very nice (chanthapanya or something like that) and has fast wifi internet etc. and beer lao is great, overlooking the sunset on the mekong.

i'm in vientiane now and just went this morning (monday) to apply for my visa- what a freaking nightmare. got there at 7:15 am, there were probably 50 people in line already, mostly filipino and nigerian. seems like half of nigeria is here right now in fact! the thing is, by 8:30 when the office opens, the line had gotten about 75% longer in front of me because all the nigerians seem to know each other so when big groups of them arrived at about 8:25 they all went straight to the front of the line to be with their "friends" and pretended they had been there all along. so it really doesn't matter when you get there, i suggest arriving at 8:30 and going straight to the front of the line rather than wait for an hour and 15 minutes only to be number 300-something anyway. also it is so HOT after about 9:30- i actually passed out in line, a nice (nigerian) man in front of me steered me towards a seat in the shade where i waited for the next hour for my part of the line to catch up to me. i suggest bringing water and a hat or umbrella. also, how inefficient can this consulate be? first you have to wait hours in line to submit your application, then you have to go to another line in order to pay- why the f*** don't they just do it all at once??? rrrg. it makes for a pretty grumpy crowd. i finally got out of there at about 11:30am. not looking forward to going back tomorrow. on a positive note, the hotel i am in is very nice (chanthapanya or something like that) and has fast wifi internet etc. and beer lao is great, overlooking the sunset on the mekong.

It looks like I'll be getting into a fight or two next week when I go there. Queue jumping absolutely infuriates me.

You should have just gone to the front of all the queue jumping Nigerians. As least as a female you could have avoided a fist fight.