Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Dennis, what is the validity period of your double-entry tourist visa? I ask because according to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs it can be either 90 days or 180 days. Apparently, Vientiane routinely gives a validity of only 90 days but other consulates may give 180 days. Perhaps it also depends on what period the applicant needs based on his travel itinerary.

--

Maestro

Admin..how has this person with the nik "Maestro" been able to log in on my name???? How is this possible?? I only use a home computer, no lan shops. can someone explain??

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there has been some kind of website error. When in Laos yesterday i wrote a message to inform all that i received my double entry visa with no problems, but for some reason the post has been merged (or something) with Maesto's post. :o

I think there has been some kind of website error. When in Laos yesterday i wrote a message to inform all that i received my double entry visa with no problems, but for some reason the post has been merged (or something) with Maesto's post. :o

Maestro is a Moderator and as such has magic powers to dip into anyones posts and change things as he seems fit.

Don't worry.

Maestro is a Moderator and as such has magic powers to dip into anyones posts and change things as he seems fit.

Don't worry.

Im not worried..just wondering why. Error on his part? I wrote something along the lines of "Just got back from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane about 1 hour ago and received my double entry visa with no problems". I understand if Maestro made a mistake, but otherwise I think it is in bad form for moderators to change a forum users post without due reason....

Edited by eek

Eek, this is what happened. Instead of clicking on REPLY below your post or ADD REPLY at the end of the topic I clicked by mistake on EDIT, deleted what was there and wrote my reply. My apologies, but hopefully there is no harm done. I am rather embarrassed about it, though.

--

Maestro

No worries Maestro! Please feel free to delete all the posts i made in reference to it, to keep the thread tidy and on track. I can easily repost what i originally wrote. :o

just look at my double entry tourist visa.

that i uptained in belgium consulate.

it's issued on: 11/06/2008.

must be utilized before: 11/09/2008.

but i came into thailand on 16/06/2008.

so that mean i have to do my visa run before 11/09/2008 instead of 14/09/2008.

thank you eek and lopuri3 to get my attention up, because this is my first double entry and i made the stupid mistake on counting my 90 days after i came into the country instead of opening my eyes and reading the visa they issued me.

krop khun krap

dennis

thank you eek and lopuri3 to get my attention up, because this is my first double entry and i made the stupid mistake on counting my 90 days after i came into the country instead of opening my eyes and reading the visa they issued me.

krop khun krap

dennis

Yes. Go on the 10th or before.

krop khun krap

dennis

Make sure you re-enter no later than 11.09.08, otherwise your visa will have expired, and you will not be able to make the second entry. Happened to me earlier this year.

Make sure you re-enter no later than 11.09.08, otherwise your visa will have expired, and you will not be able to make the second entry. Happened to me earlier this year.

Correct, but to play it absolutely safe you should re-enter Thailand on 10.09.08 latest.

krop khun krap

dennis

This is bad advice. The exact wording on the visa is "ENTER BEFORE 11.09.08". If you went on the 11.09 it will already have expired.

at Vientiene do they ask for bank statement to get tourist visa?? i am a little bit worry about this....

i was told i might have to show one on my first trip to vientiene, so i took my bank book, having said that i have never been asked and to my knowledge on here anyway certainly in last 6 months as lite beer says big no, but if you have one, take one, its not heavy!

"No - the only question is usually the blee@ing obvious..."are you hot?". As you stand in a puddle of your own persperation melting away"

i think gas is ref, how hot it is in the que, whilst waiting, go early but then again on here there have been big ques early, so be prepared!

chris

Hey Chris Howzit?

just to add my 2 satang: I wasn't asked for any bank statement,and all in all was pretty amazed at how NON crowded

and smoothly things went up in Vientianne. I think these are tough times,and the numbers that we feared are just not there.

The only slight bummer,was some of the immi staff looked a bit sourpuss faced.No big deal though.

BTW,to refresh,I was there mid May (last month) ...still looking good I hope! Best of luck!

Mel

Same here, no bank book asked for (for Tourist Visa). I did take along bank statements and my BB bank book just in case though. I do think its a good idea to take statements with you if you have them, just as precaution. You just never know.... :o

hey up mel, i do keep nipping on, and looking whats happening, its good to see its all ok, im away tom on my koh chang job, then next month back up, hoping to see more of laos this time, would possibly like to go try another border cross for a consulte and try a x2 see what happens and if its a no no may be make my way up to vientine, dont know yet just toying with the idea!

eek, you did a write up didnt you on here and some one washed it, you keep a copy?

tropo, nice to see you keeping things in order (This is bad advice) :o he,he i loved that bit, but true!

chris

tropo, nice to see you keeping things in order (This is bad advice) :o he,he i loved that bit, but true!

chris

Going by a few recent reports, they maybe relaxing the 90 day in 6 month rule for visa exempt entries. This could reduce the number of tourist visa applicants at the various neighbouring consulates and make them more tourist visa friendly. Personally I'd still rather travel to Vientiane for a double entry TV than make border runs every 30 days, but at least we'll have more options.

chris

Going by a few recent reports, they maybe relaxing the 90 day in 6 month rule for visa exempt entries. This could reduce the number of tourist visa applicants at the various neighbouring consulates and make them more tourist visa friendly. Personally I'd still rather travel to Vientiane for a double entry TV than make border runs every 30 days, but at least we'll have more options.

too right, its that sort of rule coupled togeather with lack of knowledge that has sent a few elsewhere inc cambodia, well, im down in koh chang at mo and im hearing pnomm penn, (however ya spell it) has started saying no probs to agents, although these people are cambodians, they say now all changed, for anyone not same before, so my next one is 30 days a way but i need to be in pp for 25th anyway so im prob gonna try it again, as long as it sounds positive anyways, will keep ya posted!

chris

too right, its that sort of rule coupled togeather with lack of knowledge that has sent a few elsewhere inc cambodia, well, im down in koh chang at mo and im hearing pnomm penn, (however ya spell it) has started saying no probs to agents, although these people are cambodians, they say now all changed, for anyone not same before, so my next one is 30 days a way but i need to be in pp for 25th anyway so im prob gonna try it again, as long as it sounds positive anyways, will keep ya posted!

That will be interesting. Ask them for a double entry and see what happens. Phnom Penh would make a welcome change for tourist visa runs.

eek, you did a write up didnt you on here and some one washed it, you keep a copy?

chris

Didnt keep a copy, no, but didnt say anything much different from other posters. All went ok. :o Took a NokAir flight on the Sunday to Udon, then minibus to border, the cheap bus over the bridge, and tuk-tuk into town. Same in reverse when coming back. (If you wish to know anything particular, just ask =] )

Only thing that may be of interest to some is that I decided to arrive an hour before the embassy opened, even then there were about 80 people already waiting before me. This was on a Monday morning. (Of course, i then had to grit my teeth and keep telling myself "never mind" when an hour later people who arrived at around 8:30am started to the queue jumping game. Ho hum...)

when an hour later people who arrived at around 8:30am started to the queue jumping game. Ho hum...)[/i]

That queue jumping game is extremely annoying. What can you do when people choose to ignore the most basic of human courtesies?

I was in Laos last month and dealt with many African cue jumpers when the gate opened. Another thing I noticed were the van loads of Philipinos being dumped off in front of the embassy (I counted 6). It looks like they run some kind of pro service there for visas. I'm glad the embassy doesnt hand over freebies to these people as that would forgoe huge revenue

Hi everyone,

I've heard you can get an express (tourist) visa at Vientiane. Is this correct?

Cheers

never heard of an express tourist visa, the way i and others seem to be the same way, that is hand your passport in office in the morning, next working day in the afternoon its ready for collection, maybe its called express but that seems to be the norm at all the thai embassys/consultes ive been to in the locaol countries.

maybe further afield like hull in uk, can be done in 30 mins, but not local to here as far as im aware!

chris

I usually find tha a polite reminder of these common courtesies is enough to send most people shame facedy to the back of the queue.

Im a coward for confrontation :o i just sit and sizzle inside for a while till the feeling passes :D

Hi everyone,

I've heard you can get an express (tourist) visa at Vientiane. Is this correct?

Cheers

Im about 90% sure that it isnt possible, sorry to say. The time before last that I went to Laos a French couple were very upset about not being able to get an express/same day visa. They had a flight already booked for the next morning so tried various measures. They also offered to pay substantially for this service. The staff wouldnt budge. Last time I went the sign on the wall that is always there says clearly "two working days for processing". So I think that is a big no for the express.

I usually find tha a polite reminder of these common courtesies is enough to send most people shame facedy to the back of the queue.

It doesn't work so well if you're near the back of a long queue and you see them pushing in near the front.

It doesn't work so well if you're near the back of a long queue and you see them pushing in near the front.

tropo, i know this has been said and argued against before, i am still of the same belife, give an agent 200/300/400 bhat no queuing handing it in, and on return, and as a bounus they check all ya paperwork any way before you leave, worth every penny, then let someone else deal with pushing in etc, or worse, gate gettin closed right in front of you, after youve queued for an hour or more!

chris