Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I was there on Monday too, line was to the back wall when I arrived. I'm a big lad over 6 foot and 210 pounds and i remarked to a couple of guys in line near me that there was no way I would give some of those african guys any lip, there were some very big boys. It would help if they set up a queue numbering system on entry to the grounds, but i doubt it will ever happen. I knew Monday would be a nightmare with last Thursday being a holiday but didn't want to pay overstay to go later. Swings and roundabouts. Next time i will definitely not be going on a Monday.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

first thankyou, everyone seems really helpful on the thread....

I just would like to ask any that have been on this trip what the best way to do it is, by that I mean is it better to do the whole thing privately or are there any services that do/organise the visa run?

If any one has any companies that do the visa run (to Laos) for a double entry tourist could you please post them up,

Thankyou,

Hi,

first thankyou, everyone seems really helpful on the thread....

I just would like to ask any that have been on this trip what the best way to do it is, by that I mean is it better to do the whole thing privately or are there any services that do/organise the visa run?

If any one has any companies that do the visa run (to Laos) for a double entry tourist could you please post them up,

Thankyou,

You didn't say where you live, but CAMBODIA INTER on Soi Buakhao in Pattaya can arrange the visa run to Vientiane for you.

just came back fromn veientiane last night, i flew to udon on monday morning, crossed the border (wait for over one hour there) and arrived at the thai consulate around 10am. i joined the queue in the sun and waited. they closed the gate about 10.40.

anyway at 11.40 i was near the front of the queue, there was around 25 people left in the queue and the people collecting the applications just stood up and walked into the house, no explanation what was going on. basically they decided to just stop 20 minutes early and left people who had been standing there for 2 hours very frustrated.

a young english guy started getting aggressive and got in the guards face so myself and another english guy i was talking to decided to not be around as they may block us tomorrow. we left. i was ok as i was staying until wednesday so i could submit the following day, the guy i was talking with was on a tight schedule so we crossd the road and he paid a guy opposite to sort it for him, 1000 baht for the visa and 1500 on top and he could collect on tuesday.

anyway a few guys we had met all went for a drink that afternoon, one of them had stayed behind and the consul came out, the young guy and an old american with a big beard got right in his face also and were threatening him. the consul said they limit it to 350 visas a day.

so tuesday i went back, submitted and waited to pay and i was away from the consul for 10am and collected on wednesday. i got a double tourist visa for 2000 baht, went straight back to the border for my flight. i had arranged a tuk tuk the day before (the guy who took me the consul), he picked me up at hotel at 12 and the waited at the consul for me, he took 3 of us to the border and charged 300 baht, this included his wait at the consul.

anyway more info on the trip as opposed to the visa shennanigans.

I flew with nok air from don muaeng at 6am, the flight was on time, arrived udon at 7am and took the minibus from the airport to the border (200 Baht). i got to the border at 8 and got the bus across the bridge (15 baht + 5 baht overtime???)

i got to the laos border at 8.15 am, submitted my paperwork and then waited for my visa (around one hour), i got cab straight to the consul (200 baht) and i have already mentioned what happened there.

i stayed at the new laos paris hotel for 850 a night, nice clean hotel but make sure you get a room at the front (deluxe room), the other rooms have windows that lead onto the corridor so not so private. it is on samsenthai road near tye laos plaza and also very close to the fountain.

there was a great bar near the fountain called Khup Chai Deu, nice beer and food and sit outside. we also went to a pub run by a brit called john called the hare and hounds, john had tiger draft and well as botteld lao beer, he also had a great menu so ate here both night. walk along from Khup Chai Deu away from the fountain to the first soi past the temple on the left (3 rd soi from Khup Chai Deu). John is a ringer for freddie mercury and runs the bar with his javanese wife.

i enjoyed the calm of vientiene very much, near the river i could even get my thai mobile signal so no need for roaming costs. it was not too bad crossing back into thailand and my flight was early.

i hear the best time to submit in friday and stay the weekend, nobody submits friday as they dont want to stay a few days, but i would reccomend a few days here.

someone mentions the black guys, there were quite a few with us when they closed on monday so i saw them all three days, all nice guys from ivory coast and are footballers in thailand.

i saw a few queue pushers and told a few where to go if they tried to get in front of me, they rely on people not saying anything so dont be afraid to speak up (but i am a big guy so maybe that helps)

anyway i met a few great guys up there and had great conversation, great beer and great food, the only downside was the monday but like i say all i lost there was a few hours as i was staying until wednesday anyway

i should mention that i took nok air from bangkok (don muang) to udon thani to get there, all ok, easy to get a minibus to vientiane etc. but the reverse trip not as straightforward. the guy who had become my personal driver in vientiane (very sweet old man who hangs outside the chanthapanya hotel) drove me to the border, and then i was bombarded by overpriced taxi touts asking 1000b to get to udon. i think there is a normal bus going from nong khai to udon but wasn't able to find out from where?! finally a policeman picked me up and took me for 400b. he was really nice, bought me food and did my entry stamp etc. for me (didn't have to stand in line). got to the airport 3 hours before my scheduled flight with air asia back to BKK (suvarnhabumi this time), and as seems to always be the case, air asia was delayed an hour and a half, rrrg. i went to the back of the building to a little herbal products shop and had a great 90 minute massage, then ate some pretty good food in the restaurant upstairs while i waited.

when i cam through thai immigration a few people approached me and were asking crazy money to go the airport, I was trying to find the minibus back to the airport.

anyway one guy came over and we agreed 200 baht, we went in his pick up. he said he normally waits until there are 3 people and charges them 200 each however he had to get to the airport to collect his friend so he took me alone for 200. he was a nice guy as well and we had a great conversation on the journey.

i think its just luck as to what time you com through and who is waiting

a young english guy started getting aggressive and got in the guards face...

...the consul came out, the young guy and an old american with a big beard got right in his face also and were threatening him. the consul said they limit it to 350 visas a day.

I can't help but saying, this strikes me as pretty stupid behavior.... And people wonder why we (who are, after all, guests in this country) get grief sometimes from officialdom....or find ourselves hit with seemingly silly procedures.

In some cases, it's probably because they have for years been dealing with idiots like those described above who understand nothing about Thai etiquette or dealing with govt. officials.

Ventianne is one of the relatively few nearby local consulates that's reasonably friendly toward farang visas... So let's encourage that by going there and threatening the consul?????? :o:D :D

a young english guy started getting aggressive and got in the guards face......the consul came out, the young guy and an old american with a big beard got right in his face also and were threatening him. the consul said they limit it to 350 visas a day.
I can't help but saying, this strikes me as pretty stupid behavior.... And people wonder why we (who are, after all, guests in this country) get grief sometimes from officialdom....or find ourselves hit with seemingly silly procedures.

In some cases, it's probably because they have for years been dealing with idiots like those described above who understand nothing about Thai etiquette or dealing with govt. officials.

Ventianne is one of the relatively few nearby local consulates that's reasonably friendly toward farang visas... So let's encourage that by going there and threatening the consul?????? :o:D:D

I agree with you 100%. I just can't understand it myself why people seem to think that kind of behavoir will do any good. It's just plain disgraceful.

On other days of the week it's not near as bad. Mondays are bad mostly because it seems all the visa run companies have runs that start out on Sunday night so you have bus loads of people showing up on Monday morning.

Again to anybody reading this topic Don't go on Monday.

the behaviour of these two guys was ridiculous, the young guy was shouting all sorts like like 'lets start a riot', luckily most just looked at him like the fool he was.

we have no divine right to a visa and standing in a consulate on foreign soil behaving like a spoilt child will get you nowhere.

as frustrating as it was i just took it on the chin and came back the following day.

the sad thing is both these fools were given a visa

there will be one less guy in line clogging things up at the consulate. Yeah I'm done with it. did it twice and I'm thru. I love vientiane but cant stomach the whole consulate experience anymore or the crossing of the border afterwards. I'll go anywhere, pay anything to avoid that insanity again. I'll take my single entry wherever I can get it.

there will be one less guy in line clogging things up at the consulate. Yeah I'm done with it. did it twice and I'm thru. I love vientiane but cant stomach the whole consulate experience anymore or the crossing of the border afterwards. I'll go anywhere, pay anything to avoid that insanity again. I'll take my single entry wherever I can get it.

If you have time go on Friday spend the weekend and pick up passport on Monday.

Reports are that its not as busy on Friday. Most people don't have the time and/or don't want to spend the extra money for the Hotel.

Edited by ubonjoe

Could someone please address the following:

What time does the (chair) train pull in (as I recall it was somewhat early)?

Someone had mentioned a bus from Pattaya (direct?) from petrol station on Sukhumvhit (Pattaya No.)??

How long will it take to obtain a VOA at the border (Nong Khai/VNE)?

Are the Japanese white transit buses still running from the border parking lot? How much (B20)? Timely?

How much is a tuk tuk for someone that can speak Thai from Talat Sao / River GH Areas to embassy? B40-50?

If my paperwork is in before 1pm, can I pick it up next day after 1pm? sure?

Guesthouse near river super basic, fan/clean bed B150-200 if poss, yes I know what a poor value VNE is.

Thank You

Hi,

The price from the LAO side of the border to UDON AIRPORT is 200 thb by van for Thai and farangs, I never had to bargain.

I would like to know the price by van to Van Vieng, north of Vientiane, any idea?

Thanks.

This is bad information.

The price is only 200 baht per person if they fill up their van. If it is not busy they can wait quite a while to fill up their vans (this happened with me last time I was there).

If a person is in a hurry, they may have to negotiate a price and it will definitely be over 200 baht.

If you have time go on Friday spend the weekend and pick up passport on Monday.

Reports are that its not as busy on Friday. Most people don't have the time and/or don't want to spend the extra money for the Hotel.

That's exactly what I am planning to do by the end of the month.

I am just wondering, if I would be able to fly, for the weekend, to Luang Prabang without passport.

Already tried to contact Laotian airlines, but in vain...

:o Monday is just another day. I have been here before (am here NOW - sun night) and yes,yes, yes, it aint the best day, but I have had an easy monday or two here as well in the not so distant past. There are a lot of gentleman who look like their origins may be african around town today, but then having met some guys from Nigeria on the way in the t\uk-tuk, there are a few with their own businesses here (one is a huge bar by the river from which I have just come). Going at 8.00pm in the morrow, and I laughingly, after getting to know these guys a bit you understand, said I WILL NOT TOLERATE ANY QUEUE_JUMPING tomorrow. Oh, and as a Brit of, well, good standing I am told, there looks like a bit of reputation building to do tomorrow on behalf of one or two of my sorry brethren. No comments please about what these African guys either living here or in Thailand may or may not be doing. Benefit of the doubt and all that.Laters,

Gas

Hi Im going this week. Getting the overnight sleeper to Nongkhai on Tuesday, arrive Wednesday morning go to border....border to embassy. May be late and have to do it on Thursday- no worries not in a hurry really.

What's the best way to get from the trainstation at nongkhai to the border OR to the embassy in Vientianne? How much?

Appeciate any help, cheers

Hi, I have a similar query to that posted by werbs a couple of pages back, regarding double entry tourist visas . I have a single entry 2 month tourist visa, which is about to expire in a couple of weeks. I got this in the UK. This is the first time I've had a tourist visa for Thailand. I had a one month 30day stamp back in May this year , and prior to that I had non-immigrant B / work visas for any stay in Thailand.

I wasn't in Thailand for four months prior to this visit using my current tourist visa.

For the time being I just want a tourist visa.

Can I extend this current single entry visa by a further 30 days, and then go to Vientaine and apply for a further double entry tourist visa?

Basically I'm trying to stay as long as possible. I would be very grateful for any comments from other posters and experts. I just want to be clear as to my options, and how long I can I keep applying for tourist visas. Is there anything else I should be aware of ?

I have done a few trips to the Thai Consulate in Vientaine previously, so I'm aware of the procedures and set up there. However I would like a little bit more info. on the tourist visa. Many thanks in advance for advice and patience!

If money is no object, why not just fly straight to Vientiane on Thai Airways. You can also have a "fixer" get your visa for you as has been documented on this thread.

The whole "shortcut" will probably set you back an extra 6,000 baht, but it's still cheaper than getting a single entry from Penang if you consider all the time and money required to do a visa run twice as often.

Edited by tropo

Hi Im going this week. Getting the overnight sleeper to Nongkhai on Tuesday, arrive Wednesday morning go to border....border to embassy. May be late and have to do it on Thursday- no worries not in a hurry really.

What's the best way to get from the trainstation at nongkhai to the border OR to the embassy in Vientianne? How much?

Appeciate any help, cheers

Train Station to Bus Station,bus to Vientiane,tuk-tuk to Consulate.

or

tuk-tuk to Border,bus over the Bridge,tuk-tuk,bus or taxi to Consulate.

Hope it helps!

Abdul - thanks for taking a stab at some of my questions. It's good to know that some of us don't mind being in these countries rather avoiding them by flying over. Makes one wonder why many people are even here.

Flying to Vientiane - what a joke.

Freshness: Years ago used to be B30 to the border and the prices are (were) posted in the tuk-tuk. Given benzine prices now, as inflation maybe B40 is in order for farang. Thailand thanks you for using its infastructure im sure.

For the time being I just want a tourist visa.

Can I extend this current single entry visa by a further 30 days, and then go to Vientaine and apply for a further double entry tourist visa?

Yes you can extend your current entry at immigration for 30 days..

Copy of passprt photo page, visa and entry stamp pages. Copy of TM6 (departure card) and 2 photos plus 1900 baht.

Yes you can get another 2 entry at the consulate in Vientiane with no problem.

Just back - double entry no problem. The queue jumpers were all fillipinos/as and were told in no uncertain fashion by the two staff behind the outside desk where you submit that they knew what was going on and moved them back! First time I'd seen that. Now, I do not know if this is of any use but I overheard a smart looking immigration guy, white uniform, medals and all(at Nong Khai, reentering Thailand),explaining to a "rookie" in brown that only some nationalities get double-entry visas, British (as I am) being one of them.I also noticed many people in front of me, or beside, had only asked for a single entry amyway. It seems these peeps, who were African or other Asians (not Japanese of course as they are basically building the country up) were not applying as I presume they knew that they would,nt get a double. I have to say "Bousay Guest House" is great. A snip at 300 baht, brand new, and very quiet. Near the U.S. Embassy, on the other side of the magnificent but decaying "stupa" as you come from the river.