Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Nok currently leaves at 6 am, which gives you enough time to cross the border and be on time to submit your application. Air Asia has only one flight currently (not 100% sure, check their website), and this leaves in the afternoon, meaning you will need at least an additonal night accomodation, as by the time you reach Vientiane, they don't accept applications anymore.

By the way, Thai air, has lowered their fares to Udon, and fares are available at 2200 baht upwards, so maybe something to consider as well.

Edited by sjaak327

Maybe because it's more than double price than Air asia + international departure tax + taxi from airport to city, so the result is a very expensive trip with an airline I wouldn't rely on.

What airline would you recommend?

I think quoted post was probably referring to Lao airways. Thai is a good airline.

The remainder have been a discussion about flights to Udon.

I have seen posts about flying to Vientiane and if I recall correctly it was what they preferred. Because going that route was a lot less hastle than any other way.

All my trips have been driving there from Ubon so I can't say anything from personal experience. But if I had a choice I would fly to Vientiane.

Edited by ubonjoe

Indeed I was referring to flights to Udon Thani, it's not that much more hassle, it takes a mini bus (1 hour, 200 baht) from Udon Airport to the border, then a bus across from Thai immigration to Lao immigration (20 baht, a few minutes), the visa on arrival procedure, (similar to the Airport) and a 300 baht non shared taxi into Vietniane (straight to the consulate I would assume, 20 minutes).

The flight straight into Vientiane, will be quicker (a good hour I would assume), but you pay for the convenience, it would on a return, be at least 4000-5000 baht more expensive. Either way, both Thai Air and Lao air are fine for the direct flight, take the one that has the best schedule to get you there in time for the visa application. Wattay airport is a few KM outside of Vientiane.

Maybe because it's more than double price than Air asia + international departure tax + taxi from airport to city, so the result is a very expensive trip with an airline I wouldn't rely on.

If you want to fly directly to Vientiane I don't believe there are any other options. Thai Airways has got a monopoly on that route.

Checking it out a few days ago I saw the airfare was 10,400 baht from BKK to Vientiane. Air Asia was the cheapest at around 2,500 and Nok Air about 1000 more.

So if you don't mind taking a minibus from Udon Thani to the border (200 baht) and transport from the border into Vientiane (150 - 200) you're saving a lot flying to Udon Thani.

If money was no object, I'd do it in style and fly straight to Vientiane and save all the fuss crossing the border in both directions.

If you want to fly directly to Vientiane I don't believe there are any other options. Thai Airways has got a monopoly on that route.

Checking it out a few days ago I saw the airfare was 10,400 baht from BKK to Vientiane. Air Asia was the cheapest at around 2,500 and Nok Air about 1000 more.

So if you don't mind taking a minibus from Udon Thani to the border (200 baht) and transport from the border into Vientiane (150 - 200) you're saving a lot flying to Udon Thani.

If money was no object, I'd do it in style and fly straight to Vientiane and save all the fuss crossing the border in both directions.

Actually there is Laos Airlines, but they look as expensive as Thai.

Thanks for the info guys! That's why I opted for the direct-to-Vientiane flight. I've never had any problems with Thai Air.

Good

Add a post to let others know how it went. Every bit of info. helps

Glad to help.

Good Luck

Joe

That's good news!

I hope they'll be as generous in January.

Did you have to present any details of your bank funds?

Sorry for late reply tropo, i took my bank book as i had read on here about maybe needing it, now i didnt have to show it, but i did use a visa agent outside, which i normally woundnt, but i thought im paying for all this with flights hotels and travel etc might as well bung someone as well can only help with not getting a "not to return stamp" and i did want a x2!

if i had gone in maybe they could have asked for a bank book and refussed as staff do from time to time just to get up our nose's!

no problems for jan i think you be fine, the people who are getting the "not to return to penang" stamp will not need another for about 5 months say, so it will then get very busy in laos about maybe march, thats when change might occour i would have thought!

good luck tropo

chris

When I applied for and received my inital dual entry tourist visa,I was advised that I needed to show a bank balance with a minimum of $500-as if that would prove I wouldn't be a burden to the country.It was at the Honorary Thai Consulate in Coral Gables,Florida.(Miami) and it took 5 days-amazing considering they probably get 3-4 requests a week.

When I applied for and received my inital dual entry tourist visa,I was advised that I needed to show a bank balance with a minimum of $500-as if that would prove I wouldn't be a burden to the country.It was at the Honorary Thai Consulate in Coral Gables,Florida.(Miami) and it took 5 days-amazing considering they probably get 3-4 requests a week.

It just goes to show how every Thai Consulate seems to have their own policy on how they issue visas. There is no uniformity at all.

Hi all,

I'm going to be doing a visa run this week to Vientiane and I'm rather excited as it'll be my first time in Laos as I've gone to Penang in the past. I've read through this entire thread in the last few hours, a lot of great info - thanks to all who shared!

I was wondering if anybody would have a guesthouse or hotel that they'd recommend in Vientiane? My budget is from 500 BHT - 1,000 BHT though cheaper is always better. I guess I fall into the flash packer category of traveler, what I prefer in a room is quiet, air con, clean, and secure. Doesn't have to be fancy at all.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by Naut.Sirius

Hi all,

I'm going to be doing a visa run this week to Vientiane and I'm rather excited as it'll be my first time in Laos as I've gone to Penang in the past. I've read through this entire thread in the last few hours, a lot of great info - thanks to all who shared!

I was wondering if anybody would have a guesthouse or hotel that they'd recommend in Vientiane? My budget is from 500 BHT - 1,000 BHT though cheaper is always better. I guess I fall into the flash packer category of traveler, what I prefer in a room is quiet, air con, clean, and secure. Doesn't have to be fancy at all.

Thanks for any advice!

Sorry I can't give you any specific recommendations, but when I arrived in Vientiane in the evening back in January I found a very large room in a reasonable hotel for 700 baht...just walk in. For a budget of between 500 - 1000 baht I'm sure you'll will have quite a few walk in options without prebooking. I just got my transport van driver from the border to take me around to a few places once he'd dropped off the other passengers.

I'll be heading back in 3 weeks. I plan to find a place to stay the same way this time around.

If you absolutely insist on prebooking something, this website may help:

List of Hotels in Vientiane

Edited by tropo

i'm up for another visa. i'm among the many who have already reported in detail on the Vientiane visa process; i'll only post details if i notice anything different.

i will post, however, to confirm that everything is still fine (assuming it is).

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice!

I was there a couple weeks ago and stayed at the Mali Namphu guest house. Room was small but clean, location and service good. Don't remember exact price but I think 500-700 baht. I would stay there again

Good

Add a post to let others know how it went. Every bit of info. helps

Glad to help.

Good Luck

Joe

Okay, I know that y'all are gonna crucify me for my choice of route.

I just aim to provide some info ... for someone who wants to do the same, or if you just want to compare, etc.

Day 1 (Tue):

Bangkok - Vientiane, Thai Air. Arrival 12:55 pm. Round trip - THB11,200. Hotel near the Consulate - USD58/night.

I couldnt rent a motorcycle because they needed my passport as collateral. This was near Joma Cafe on Setthathirath Rd.

I didnt ask what the requirements are for renting a bicycle.

Day 2 (Wed):

Hotel van to the Consulate @ 7am - THB200. There were already 10 people. Bring water, a towel for your sweat and a gazebo.

I had this form (printed it double-sided, I dont know if it matters) so I didnt have to buy from one of the dudes across the street.

One of them glued my photos for free.

@ 8:30am the gates open, and if you're lucky you get to wait for your turn in the shade.

Surrender your passport along with the form. Then go to the air-conditioned office to pay the visa fee - THB1000 (I only needed x1).

They didnt ask for any additional papers &/or requirements.

From the Consulate I walked to That Luang.

I transferred to a guesthouse in downtown Vientiane, near Nam Phu fountain and walking distance

to everywhere - USD25/night.

Apparently, there was some kind of fiesta. People were drinking outside every house. (Just like home, lol).

Major traffic, some streets were closed, there were street fairs and a carnival near the river.

A local advised me that I could possibly rent a motorcycle without a passport outside Phimphone

Minimart on Samsenthai Rd. But since it was a "holiday", nobody was there.

Day 3 (Thu):

Tuktuk from Morning market to the Consulate @ 1:30pm - THB50.

There were at least 50 people in line before me, got my passport & visa, was out of there in 20 minutes. Tuktuk to Nam Phu fountain - THB100.

Went sightseeing...

Tuktuk to the airport - LAK55,000 (THB220). Vientiane - Bangkok, Thai Air. Departure 10:55 pm.

There's a souvenir shop/internet cafe on the 2nd floor - LAK30,000/hour.

If you are flying business or if you are a Star Alliance/Thai Gold member, you can use the internet in the Thai business lounge after you check in.

Alternatively, you can pay USD7 to get in. Only 2 wifi networks were available publicly, neither of which I could get to work.

Notes:

This was my first time in Laos.

Bring your Thai wife so you can rent a motorcycle.

If you suck at math, like me, always carry a calculator.

Beerlao is not for the snooty beer connoisseur.

Lao air makes you drowsy, especially in the afternoon.

Kop chai!!! :o

Hi all,

Hope you can help a NEWBIE!

I want to go to Vientinne at the end of October for a Visa. Is there a train from BKK? If so how long does it take, i understand it will take a while but i am on budget!

What exactly do i need to take with me? I am a 35 year old British Citizen (not a complete idiot but i do find all of this very confusing!) and would like to get the double Visa. I am currently coming to the end of my 2nd Tourist visa in two months, will this be a problem?

Any help you can give me would be greatly received and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Yes train from BKK to Non Kai then tuk tuk or some other form of transport to Bridge. Most try to get 2nd class sleeper. Takes 13 to 14 hours. Its best to buy ticket in advance or you might not get the class you want.

Train info here: http: //www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

When you cross bridge you get a visa on arrival. 1 photo and 1500 baht or $35. You will need the name of a hotel when you fill in the application. Just name no reservation needed.

You can also get a Lao visa at their consulate in BKK. Saves a little time at bridge.

At Thai consulate Passport and copy of photo page and 2 photos, If you have a return ticket take it along to show if they ask most reports say they don't, same for bank book. You can get a 2 entry tourist visa no problem.

Link to embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html

You can download application and get other info there. Remember that consulate and embassy are not at same location so be sure and tell taxi you want to go to consulate not embassy.

No problem with having previous tourist visa.

If you read back through this topic you should be able to find names of hotels/guest houses and other tid bits of info.

Have a good trip.

Edited by ubonjoe

These folks also do a once weekly organized tourist visa run, leaves BKK Ekkamai via tour bus on Sunday evening, I believe. All inclusive price around 5,000 baht... I haven't use them for that, but have for routine border visa runs, and they do a good job.

http://www.thaivisarun.com/map.htm

The web site doesn't mention the tourist visa runs, but you can call them for the details...

I have a couple of questions about visiting Vientiane for a visa.

Firstly, I have seen it mentioned that Tuesday is the best day to visit the consulate, does it really make that much difference? It looks like I'll be visiting on Thursday, is it likely to be a problem?

Secondly, does anyone know of a reasonably priced place to stay with an in-room internet connection?

Thanks in advance.

I don't remember anything particularly problematic about Thursdays...

But in the past, people going there have reported problems about excessive, unexplained denials on Mondays -- possibly due to who's on duty on that particular day. So the advice was to avoid Mondays...

I don't remember anything particularly problematic about Thursdays...

But in the past, people going there have reported problems about excessive, unexplained denials on Mondays -- possibly due to who's on duty on that particular day. So the advice was to avoid Mondays...

I believe the last reports about double entries being refused on Mondays was back about a year ago. Many people have reported no problems on Mondays since then.

Mondays will be the busiest days, so that's a good reason to avoid them if possible.

i'm in Vientiane at the mo'. will post khee nok cost breakdown on returning.

one little thing that was news (to me)--there's a public bus into the city from the border, it's insanely cheap. i don't know how cheap coz i shared a taxi (200 baht /3 ) .