Restaurant Recommendations

sweetchariot

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, I do not mean to sound negative, and I do support pinning a local restaurant recommendation thread, for sure. But I find with some pinned threads that remain open (and in a case like this, I guess for it to develop and grow, it should be kept open for new posts), it becomes increasingly more difficult to find what you want.

Since there may be 10, 20 or many more pages after a while, and with many posts being basically huge quotes of previous posts (or personal vendettas), with not much useful info added, I for one tend to give up early, and refer instead to my own list of places, or my book of restaurant name cards.

But that is very limiting of course, so most of us are looking for new impulses and new places that open (or close, or change, or move).

I do not know how to handle this within the confines of a forum like this, but I will put out the challenge to you clever ones out there: How to get a really useful tool to list and keep updated a restaurant guide of Pattaya (or any city)? Many parameters would be interesting, such as name, location, parking, contact info/map, type of cuisine, specialities, price level, open on (times/days), +++. And perhaps some way for us punters to leave comments about our experiences. I know there are some listing in our free tourist guides, and some books sold on the topic, but neither is what I am really looking for.

I am probably asking far too much, and I do not myself have neither the skills nor the time to do it. And Jingthing, it might be a way to remove the bias from newspaper reviews I fully know is there, by letting the sheer number of punters without any vested interest do the commenting (or voting?) But of course, by reading this thread, you can see how different people rate a place like e.g. Mata Hari. One poster said nice and reasonably priced, another said pretentious and expensive (I tend to support the former). So some sort of common yardstick is required.

I am rambling now, and I start to realise I am chasing something almost impossible. But let us have some constructive comments/ideas at least, before I am shot down in flames.

Edit for typos (no more rewards for spotting them; it just got too expensive!)

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

U, I guess I am a bit of a purist. Clam chowder isn't New Orleans food, but if you say so. Bourbon Street isn't that great either, now that you mention it, but I think they take the New Orleans part a bit more seriously.

I agree that Bourbon isn't really that great, but it is pretty good for Thailand - and different from most places. I also agree that Clam Chowder isn't New Orleans food, but neither is Mexican food and they serve it at Bourbon Street with a lot of other non-New Orleans stuff. As long as it tastes good, I'm happy! :o

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Greg's Kitchen on second road, almost opposite Soi 6.

Excellent European fair - good variety, including home made quiche and the like. Good service, and prices not too bad. Defintilely worth a try.

I'm not a great burger fan, and rarely eat them, but if I do feel like one, you can't really beat Hard Rock Cafe, although it is a bit pricey.

In another thread I mentioned Pan Pan in Jomtien (check out the Pizza Pizza thread) which is good value.

Sportsmans' bar on Soi Six, Eden Bar in Jomtien next to the Caddy Shack (which I also highly recommend), Yorkies, on beach Road Jomtien...

Although I generally agree about the sea food places in Walking Street, IMO, the best of the bunch by far is Lobster Pot. Pricey, but pretty good food. (but avoid ordering lobsters - ridiculously over priced :o )

That'll do for now :D

Crazy Dave's: Been there - done that - never again!

Had the cottage pie and mashed potatoes. It would have to improve to be called just ok. Cottage pie was nearly tasteless and the potatoes were dry and crusty. Yuch! Lots of ketchup helped to give it some flavor. I give them zero stars.

I guess I should not expect much from a restaurant that exploits drunks in their tv commercials. What does a drunk know about taste in food? It is a little hole in the wall bar that serves something inexpensive, that resembles food.

Since when is Cottage pie served in CUBES anyway??????

Edited by wilko

Yes their cottage pie is made with baked mashed potatoes. Excuse me for not meeting your exacting standards for English. The point was Crazy Dave's food sucks even though it probably meets your demanding taste requirements. English food sucks! Cholesterol on a plate! Enjoy your clogged arteries.

How can anyone that likes English food claim to know anything about good food?

Check out the world's top 50 restaurants!

Yes their cottage pie is made with baked mashed potatoes. Excuse me for not meeting your exacting standards for English. The point was Crazy Dave's food sucks even though it probably meets your demanding taste requirements. English food sucks! Cholesterol on a plate! Enjoy your clogged arteries.

How can anyone that likes English food claim to know anything about good food?

Oooh, editing whilst I'm typing - naughty.

You will find that England is now regarded by many as the culinary epicentre of the world. There are too many fantastic restaurants to start listing here, but why do you think the majority of internationally renowned chefs either work there, or want to work there.

English food, per se, I will grant you is not that good. Many of the staple dishes were concocted during the war when supplies were scarce, and cholesterol was considered an island in the South Pacific.

If you can see past the fish and chips, pie and mash, cottage pie etc., then you will find some fantastic food in England. The point of this thread is that I cannot find it here, and asked for some recommendations.........do you have any?

If you check out a lot of the chefs in Top restaurants around the world...you'll find they're British too

They also have picked-up the great American habit to refill your sodas.

That is a good American thing. Coffee refills in Thailand? If only ...

i have breakfast on jomtien beach every morning...... open air & also a/c restaurant about 5 shops down from the police station on the beach.

american style coffee and as many refills as you want i drink 2 - 3 cups each morning with my fruit

For good 'pub grub' The Queen Vic, Soi 6.

+1

Not bad for the price and the atmosphere is a bit more homey and less plastic than most of the fake Brit pubs. No complaints about the service any of the times I've been there. The location on Soi 6 could be regarded as convenient or not, depending on interests.

Tried Bruno's with a group of 6 first timers.

Mutual opinions:

nice decor

good service

food appearance was good

taste was ok but not exceptional

portion size was rather small

rather expensive

forget the wine list

no real incentive to return to Bruno's

agreed ..... how many times do you want to eat ratatuille anyway?

Can anyone explain why nobody ever seems to eat in Tapas 2 - the newish place 100 m or so along from the Hanuman statue in Jomtien?

I have tried it a few times and have always been the only customer.

The food isn't especially Spanish as the name might suggest - more European/International and while it might be slightly more expensive than some other places, it is good - in my opinion.

Nice friendly staff too.

Who cares what the Brits think is a good retaurant, especially when you consider what the Brits like to eat in their own country.

They don't seem to know much about food. Maybe if they stopped buying the crappy pizza served in Pattaya, the restaurants would improve.

a web search gave the following:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_kind_of_foo...tish_people_eat

What kind of foods do the British people eat?

Answer

It really depends on what part of Britain you are from and how healthy you want to be! Traditionally a British person's dinner would consist of perhaps meat in a pie, potatoes and vegetables. Many still eat a traditional Sunday lunch consisting of roast beef, chicken, duck, pork etc. plus yorkshire puddings (not really a pudding but basically batter made from eggs milk and flour I believe) and vegetables.

England's national dish is considered to be fish and chips (fried fish placed on fried potato)

For a main meal a British person may eat Indian curry, a pasta dish, salads, Chinese food - vegetable stir fry is a simple favourite of many people I know.

For breakfast many people have toast or cereal with orange juice or coffee. Some may make fruit smoothies and some may have a full English breakfast consisting of fried eggs, bacon, baked beans, tomatoes and mushrooms and maybe even black pudding (made from sheep's blood!).

Britain is such a multicultural society that any type of food could be considered British these days!

As for desserts, there are many! Apple crumble, spotted dick, trifle, steamed pudding, Christmas cake/pudding, cheesecake, fruit salad, ice-cream...the list is never ending!

British food is very diverse these days!

Yorkshire pudding, black pudding and meat pies. Yuuuccckkkk I bet if you added a ground up dog turd to anyone of them, the typical Brit wouldn't even know. Bangers were left off the list. They are an interesting combo of scrap pig meat, lots of pig fat and put into pig guts. Now that sounds like a yummy and really nutritious breakfast. Can you say cholesterol? Well at least some of the desserts sound interesting.

Brits condemn American restaurants. Interestingly enough, a full English restaurant is probably the most difficult restaurant to find in America. Fish and chips are available for sure (leave out the vinegar), but forget the rest of their crap. You need to ask, "why does America have an internationally derived population of about 300 million and nobody wants to eat British crap". Just about every other country's food is easy to find.

Brits should be banned from making any comments on food and restaurants.

Edited by aguy30

Oh please.................ever been to Britain?

As mentioned earlier in this thread these types of food were concucted years ago, before anyone had heard of cholesterol, and very few people live on a diet of these 'staple' foods.

If you have nothing constructive to add, then why bother posting.

But as you started the trans-Atlantic mudslinging, then here goes.

A good restaurant in the USA is classed as the one with the biggest portions. Why do you think you have the most obese population in the world? Oh yes, must be your healthy diet of burgers, pizzas, fried chicken, more burgers (supersized), pancakes, and steaks for breakfast.

And you have the gall to criticise British food and its health merits, maybe you would enjoy it more if we doubled the portion size, fatty.

A good restaurant in the USA is classed as the one with the biggest portions.
sweetcharioit, that just isn't true. It is true the portions in USA restaurants are usually large and it is true that is a factor in obesity. However, have a look at US media food reviews and I think you will find portion size is usually not even mentioned, except maybe as information to help people decide how many dishes to order in a shared food kind of cuisine. Edited by Jingthing

I used to go to Bob's Texas BBQ before they moved from Pattaya Tai. The burgers were really good. They come in a regular, large and a really JUMBO size.

I need to try the ribs when I go to their new LK Metro Plaza location at Soi Diana and Soi Bakoaw

Who cares what the Brits think is a good retaurant, especially when you consider what the Brits like to eat in their own country.

They don't seem to know much about food. Maybe if they stopped buying the crappy pizza served in Pattaya, the restaurants would improve.

a web search gave the following:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_kind_of_foo...tish_people_eat

What kind of foods do the British people eat?

Answer

It really depends on what part of Britain you are from and how healthy you want to be! Traditionally a British person's dinner would consist of perhaps meat in a pie, potatoes and vegetables. Many still eat a traditional Sunday lunch consisting of roast beef, chicken, duck, pork etc. plus yorkshire puddings (not really a pudding but basically batter made from eggs milk and flour I believe) and vegetables.

England's national dish is considered to be fish and chips (fried fish placed on fried potato)

For a main meal a British person may eat Indian curry, a pasta dish, salads, Chinese food - vegetable stir fry is a simple favourite of many people I know.

For breakfast many people have toast or cereal with orange juice or coffee. Some may make fruit smoothies and some may have a full English breakfast consisting of fried eggs, bacon, baked beans, tomatoes and mushrooms and maybe even black pudding (made from sheep's blood!).

Britain is such a multicultural society that any type of food could be considered British these days!

As for desserts, there are many! Apple crumble, spotted dick, trifle, steamed pudding, Christmas cake/pudding, cheesecake, fruit salad, ice-cream...the list is never ending!

British food is very diverse these days!

Yorkshire pudding, black pudding and meat pies. Yuuuccckkkk I bet if you added a ground up dog turd to anyone of them, the typical Brit wouldn't even know. Bangers were left off the list. They are an interesting combo of scrap pig meat, lots of pig fat and put into pig guts. Now that sounds like a yummy and really nutritious breakfast. Can you say cholesterol? Well at least some of the desserts sound interesting.

Brits condemn American restaurants. Interestingly enough, a full English restaurant is probably the most difficult restaurant to find in America. Fish and chips are available for sure (leave out the vinegar), but forget the rest of their crap. You need to ask, "why does America have an internationally derived population of about 300 million and nobody wants to eat British crap". Just about every other country's food is easy to find.

Brits should be banned from making any comments on food and restaurants.

Typical attitude of so many Americans, reminds me was I was so dam_n glad of getting out of that country, 3 years of hel_l. Of course American doesn't have any obesity cholesterol or any other health issues ?????? Suggest you watch Sicko.

The same attitude I witnessed in a Jusco store in BKK where this really big American was screaming at this young Thai girl who didn't understand what he was asking for saying he was "sick of you people" and "things are not like this in America" at which point I lost my rag and told him in the politest possible way I could "so why don't you just <deleted> off back to America and stay there"

Oh yes, must be your healthy diet of burgers, pizzas, fried chicken, more burgers (supersized), pancakes, and steaks for breakfast.

The items mentioned are not my daily diet, but Fried chicken and mashed potatoes, pizza and burgers are a winner over meat pies, bangers and black pudding, any day of my week.

Steaks for breakfast? Not in any normal American household. Sounds like you have only eaten in Denny's Restaurants. You need to get out more.

The point of this topic was taste, not health foods. Some of the tastiest are certainly not the healthiest

Been to Jomtien beach lately? Not too many Americans, but are those walrus or Europeans with bikinis hidden under their fat bellies?

The same attitude I witnessed in a Jusco store in BKK where this really big American was screaming at this young Thai girl who didn't understand what he was asking for saying he was "sick of you people" and "things are not like this in America" at which point I lost my rag and told him in the politest possible way I could "so why don't you just <deleted> off back to America and stay there"

Every country has its share of nutters and you might have a point that alot of us Yanks don't travel so well. I would agree with your sentiment, that guy should go home.

I thought the attitude problem was all of the "know it all Brits" deciding what is best and proper for everyone else in the world. Narrow minded and opinionated begins to describe their suck attitude. What in the hel_l makes Brits think they so important and correct to tell everyone else what to do and what is right or best?

Oh yes, must be your healthy diet of burgers, pizzas, fried chicken, more burgers (supersized), pancakes, and steaks for breakfast.

The items mentioned are not my daily diet, but Fried chicken and mashed potatoes, pizza and burgers are a winner over meat pies, bangers and black pudding, any day of my week.

Steaks for breakfast? Not in any normal American household. Sounds like you have only eaten in Denny's Restaurants. You need to get out more.

The point of this topic was taste, not health foods. Some of the tastiest are certainly not the healthiest

Been to Jomtien beach lately? Not too many Americans, but are those walrus or Europeans with bikinis hidden under their fat bellies?

If they are Europeans then it is partly due to you lot exporting all your culinary 'delights' around the world. BK, MacD's, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc, etc. Is this really what you call good food???

BTW Thailand have now recognised that they have an obesity problem with their younger generation. Now I haven't seen many Thais in English style restaurants, and its certainly not their indigenous cuisine making them bloaters, but whenever I walk past one of the afore mentioned monstrosities they are full of young Thais, getting fat the American way.

I thought the attitude problem was all of the "know it all Brits" deciding what is best and proper for everyone else in the world. Narrow minded and opinionated begins to describe their suck attitude. What in the hel_l makes Brits think they so important and correct to tell everyone else what to do and what is right or best?

Ahem...........this coming from the self appointed 'policemen' of the globe??

Another problem is the beef in America - stuffed full of hormones and advertised as being the best.

Fortunately this is banned in the EU, but I do not know if McDonalds observe this ban - they claim to make all their burgers with American beef.

Probably the cause of most obesity - the stuff is pure poison.

This is kind of silly. There are Brits who appreciate good food. There are Americans who appreciate good food. Its more a matter of your specific cultural environment, what you were exposed to, your curiosity, your family, your money demographics (ability to buy decent food), your genetics (ability to taste food), that would determine having a decent palette, or not.

Edited by Jingthing

I can assure you that I do not think that I am not the "self appointed policeman of the globe" (stupid comment) It is mostly the Brits that are deciding what is correct and proper for the rest us, especially on this topic. You guys are too narrow minded to allow other opinions. Lighten up. Your are boring me.

You have one Queen already. I don't think your are in line for the throne. You may only think you are. Take your royal powers and you know what you can do with them.

Edited by aguy30