New Web Caching Technology

phazey

Whilst going over some of my usual news sites, i came across a new way for service providers to cache http data.

Check out http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/coral/overview/

all you do is append the URL you want with .nyud.net:8090, so for example

http://www.cnn.com.nyud.net:8090

I dont know if this will circumnavigate any web blocking systems some ISP's use.

hi'

well well :o

here is the result from a site that detect yor Ip for security purpose :

For your security, your web browser's "reload"

function has been temporarily disabled

Allowing a web browser to "reload" a page which has already been sent to you creates a "security hole" that would allow someone using your computer at any later time to attain potentially private and personal information.

To safeguard your privacy we have disabled the browser's "reload" or "refresh" facility while you are in sensitive areas of our web site. Reloading pages will function normally once you have left this area . . . but until then please refrain from "reloading" pages.

You may press your browser's [bACK] button now to return to the page prior to the one you were just viewing.

so, it seems to work :D

unlike some anonymiser's site, it does a good job ...

go for it !

cheers

francois

ps: there is a plug-in to setup for your browser, but be careful, it might disturb your navigation somehow ...

hi'

I just insatlled the "extension" from Coral ...

came here, logged in as usual, then right click to open this topic page ...

had to relog again ... :wub:

so, did it and now write my reply ...

I have "coralyse this link" in my right click menu :o

so, it works with any site, and pretty well, it just bypass any ISP stuff even cookies :D

once logged in again, it's all ok :D

cheers

francois

ps: feel free to navigate again, anywhere you want :D

just give a finger to your ISP ... :D

There is another benefit of this - those people who pay for hosting based on traffic - (george?) using the coralised link means the actually pipe bandwidth used will greatly reduce - pretty much static sites will benifit, not so much forum pages......

ps: feel free to navigate again, anywhere you want :o

just give a finger to your ISP ... :D

... just be careful you don't poke yourself in the eye :-)

While you can "coralize" the link to this forum, none of the threads or any other links within are or can be coralized.

I think this is geared more towards the content providers like CNN for example who can coralize all their embedded links and in effect mirror their site somewhere else to prevent their main servers getting deluged by sudden high-volume traffic - as happened on 9/11.

Also, it doesn't work for sites that are updated very frequently - more than once every 5 minutes - because the cache ignores requests to refresh pages from the source if the request is made within 5 minutes. So forget your favorite NASDAQ ticker.

One other thing, if the site you're trying to visit uses cookies, it won't work because the cache doesn't work with cookies. But I am not sure if this is a good thing or bad :-)

hi'

... just be careful you don't poke yourself in the eye :-)

don't worry 55555 :o

it is just a matter to be a bit anonymous, kind of practical thing when using adsl :D

also, for censored country's surfers to get access to what they want ...

just a small trick ...

not much to shout out loud :D

cheers

francois

ps; by the way ... the forum pages are scripted and there are some fault in some scripts ... characters faults ...

George could you do something about this? :D

thanks