Retirement Visa Extensions? A Doddle With A Proof Of Income Letter!

This is my third year here. For the previous two years I have been extending my 90 day visa from Penang on the "retirement" and "B800K in the bank" criteria.

This year in October I went to immigration in Soi Suan Phlu and tried to do the same thing as the two previous years. However I got turned away because of the new (to me) rule which says the money in the bank has to have been there for 3 months before the visa application. I didn't know about this until Immigration told me.

So, after some thought and some excellent advice from the contributors to this site, I decided to go another route to prove financial status i.e. demonstrate income in excess of B65K a month. I get an occupational pension from a previous employer which is paid into a bank account in the UK. I use an ATM card to draw down this cash in Thailand. At current exchange rates this pension exceeds the B65K limit.

First step was to go to the British Embassy in Bangkok and ask for a Proof Of Income letter. I showed the Consular office my annual pension statement and 3 months bank statements from the UK, both of which were in Sterling. We discussed the appropriate exchange rate for converting the Sterling amounts to Baht and they were happy to take a rate from one of my ATM withdrawals as the rate to be used. This suited me since there are all kinds of weird rates out there if you look around. I paid the fee of just under B2.5K. Full details of the procedure are on the Embassy website.

Next morning I picked up the POI letter, which gave my monthly and annual income in Baht, and went to Immigration in Soi Suan Phlu. When it got to my turn I gave the immigration officer my passport and application form. We then had an amusing conversation since she immediately accused me of overstaying my visa for 2 months. Once I had got her to read the stamps in my passport correctly she calmed down and acutually read the application form. She then asked for evidence of financial status. I gave her the POI letter from the British Embassy and nothing else. I had a load of other stuff with me (Thai bank book, bank statements, pension statements, etc.) but she didn't ask for any of it!

The officer looked at the POI letter and asked for copies of recent visa stamps in my passport (which I had ready). She gave me another form to fill in (which duplicated information on the application form), I paid the fee (B1.9K), she stamped a one year extension into my passport, I went to another desk where they put it into a computer and that was that!

This is definitely the least paperwork I have ever had to submit to get an extension. The POI letter worked like a charm.

One thing I would say about Soi Suan Phlu. Get there after 2pm. It's a zoo in the mornings and they take a lunch break between 12.30 and 1.30. Don't leave it too late because, although they close at 4.30, they stop taking applications sometime between 3.00 and 3.30.

From my experience I'd strongly recommend this as a route for visa extensions if you meet the requirements. It's the most hassle-free extension I've had so far.

as i understand it and backed up by a recent article in the talk of the town section of the pattaya today newspaper 16-31 december 2007 issue page 15 and allegedly confirmed by the immigration office in Chomtien, clearly states that ''for second or subsequent applications the 3 months rule does not apply'' only the first one needs to have the money lodged 3 months prior to application. so i am not sure why it was implemented here . TIT

//Edit: This post is off topic. The OP talks about application in Bangkok. - Maestro

Edited by Maestro

Perhaps this earlier post explains it:

The people at Suan Plu did say that if the money had been in the bank in time for me to extend, then that would have been acceptable. In other words, the 3 month requirement would not have applied since it was not my first extension of that visa. However I ran out of visa before I could transfer the money into Thailand and now, it appears, we have to start all over again.

Perhaps this earlier post explains it:
The people at Suan Plu did say that if the money had been in the bank in time for me to extend, then that would have been acceptable. In other words, the 3 month requirement would not have applied since it was not my first extension of that visa. However I ran out of visa before I could transfer the money into Thailand and now, it appears, we have to start all over again.

That's quite correct. My application in October was to extend a September issued 90 day visa from Penang.

My original ( and twice extended ) visa from 2 years ago expired in early September. I'd just returned from the UK and did not have time to get the funds transfered in to extend for a third time. Hence I have no idea whether, if I had managed to get the funds in on time, the 90 day cooling off period would have been applied.

as i understand it and backed up by a recent article in the talk of the town section of the pattaya today newspaper 16-31 december 2007 issue page 15 and allegedly confirmed by the immigration office in Chomtien, clearly states that ''for second or subsequent applications the 3 months rule does not apply'' only the first one needs to have the money lodged 3 months prior to application. so i am not sure why it was implemented here . TIT

//Edit: This post is off topic. The OP talks about application in Bangkok. - Maestro

thats as maybe but as the editor of the Pattaya Today news paper is the honorary British consul Barry Kenyon MBE , i would say the information is accurate and would cover Bangkok immigration too. so there!!

thats as maybe but as the editor of the Pattaya Today news paper is the honorary British consul Barry Kenyon MBE , i would say the information is accurate and would cover Bangkok immigration too. so there!!

Timekepper, there have been many posts in this forum relating first-hand experiences that immigration offices, also in Bangkok, told applicants for extension of stay for retirement after 1 October 2006 that this time the 3-month seasoning rule for 800k in the bank was waved but that for subsequent applications it would be enforced.

It remains to be seen what will really happen at these non-Jomtien offices. Stay tuned to this forum.

--

Maestro

Quite so Maestro: I put little credence in reports of what Immigration Officers reportedly say in Jomtien, however a good friend just extended for the first time last week in Chiang Mai and was told, "next year you must show funds in account for 90 days before you renew".

I was surprised as I was under the impression that the aging rule applied to first time extenders but was waived afterward.

So, there we now have a reliable report out of Chiang Mai that a 90 day aging is required after the first renewal. Lets keep an eye on this and hope all report of their extension experience and whether 90 day aging is required of them after the first time!!!

Needless to say, if everyone ages their deposits by 90 days, we will never know for sure if it is required. We need a turn away to prove the point.

Congrats on the easy secural of your retirement extension with a POI from your Embassy. I have done the same for four years. However, I'm hearing that Immigration is now requiring the POI be issued by your Embasssy yearly as oppossed to adequate for the duration of your passport. I have used the same POI for all of my extensions in the past. Did you happen to ask that question when you presented it to Immigration?

This is my third year here. For the previous two years I have been extending my 90 day visa from Penang on the "retirement" and "B800K in the bank" criteria.

May I ask what you described your purpose was on the application form? Was it something like "wish to investigate retirement possibilities"?

I wonder what would happen if one went there now and tried this approach. Obviously he'd have to be 50 or over, but given their tightening up, I wonder if they'd ask for money in the bank/proof of income statements???

• 1 month later...
decided to go another route to prove financial status i.e. demonstrate income in excess of B65K a month. I get an occupational pension from a previous employer which is paid into a bank account in the UK. I use an ATM card to draw down this cash in Thailand. At current exchange rates this pension exceeds the B65K limit.

First step was to go to the British Embassy in Bangkok and ask for a Proof Of Income letter. I showed the Consular office my annual pension statement

I'm about to embark on this 'journey' but first I have to decide my options tax free lump vs income. If I max the former then the income is still OK, but when I deduct basic rate tax at source (grrrr) then I'm getting a bit close to the 65k/month. I have other income so I'm OK, but I wanted to keep it simple and only use the pension statement/confirmation of amount due p.a.

Sooooooooo - does anyone know if 'they' use the gross figure at the Embassy/Immigration or do they net it for tax?

Thanks

Edited by mickba

I don’t know what a POI letter is, but if you use a combination of income – with embassy letter – and money in the bank then the money in the bank does not have to be there for 3 months before you make your application for extension of stay.

--

Maestro

I don’t know what a POI letter is, but if you use a combination of income – with embassy letter – and money in the bank then the money in the bank does not have to be there for 3 months before you make your application for extension of stay.

--

Maestro

POI letter = Proof Of Income letter :D:D:o

down there for dancing !

Dave

I find myself in a catch 22 situation...

If I transfer the 8,000,000 bht into a thai bank account, it will reduce my interest payments from my UK high interest account to below the 65,000 bht per month... and yes, I realise that I don't have to do both, and that I can get away with one or the other, or a combination of the two...

However.. I'm mean enough to resent the fact that the money in the Thai bank A/C won't earn me any interest to speak of... and that I will loose a months interest anyway if I make a withdrawal from my UK high interest A/C...

I assume that the 8000,000 bht HAS to be in a Thai bank A/C, or is it merely sufficient to have it in a UK A/C for a full retirement visa

I have to get moving on this soon, so as to have the Thai bank A/C set up 3 months prior to appliccation for retirement status in Thailand.

The origional O-A application forms from the Thai Hull consulate state that the money does not have to be paid into or held into a Thai A/C... I'm assuming that this is a different requirement from the full Retirement application that I will have to subsequently make in Thailand

I fulfill the other requirements of the visa insomuchas I'm over 50, have no Criminal record in UK or Thailand, have none of the 5 dread diseases, (Thank goodness they don't count Dyslexia !), and am not prohibited from entering the country...

Murg

It is 800,000 (eight hundred thousand) Baht, not eight million.

For the non-immigrant O-A visa, the money can be in any bank in the world. Hull cannot issue this visa, you have to apply at the Thai embassy in London. Another poster mentioned that he had to have most enclosures for the application notarised.

The alternative is a non-immigrant O visa, which Hull can issue. Then, with 3-4 weeks remaining of you 90-day permission to stay, you apply at your local immigration office in Thailand for your extension of stay for the reason of retirement.

For the application for extension of stay, the money has to be in Thailand for 3 months prior to the application, or you give an embassy letter confirming average monthly income of the equivalent of 65,000 Baht. Since you can meet the income requirement it makes sense that you should apply on that basis. Any type of income, including income from investment (interest, dividends, etc), is acceptable.

--

Maestro

Botheration.. I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself very well...

I want to obtain a full retirement visa so as to stay for a full year in Thailand without having to do border runs.

I had thought that the only way to accomplish this was to apply for a 1 year type O(Multiple entry) non- immigrant visa,(at Hull), and then to have it extended into a full 1 year retirement Visa, Type O/A by applying in Bangkok.

Whilst the Type O visa from Hull merely requires self certification of sufficient money to support and re-patriate yourself, The full retirement visa requires me to have either 800,000bht (not 8 million, I inadvertantly added an extra 0), or to show an income of 65,000bht per month.

My two questions are these:

1/ Can I apply for the full 1 year type O/A retirement visa at the Thai Embassy in London, (with a re-entry extension),and keep my money in my UK bank, earning interest ? If so, will I be able to extend that visa next year on the same basis without leaving Thailand?

2/ If I can't do that, then I have to get the type O (multiple entry) Visa in Hull, and then extend it into a full type O/A retirement visa in Bangkok. In this case, do I have to put 800,000bht (or about £13,000 GBP) into a Thai bank account, or will proof of having this amount of money in a UK bank account fulfill the financial requirement. (I can show proof that I have well over ten times that amount in my high interest UK bank account and my Legal and General investment bond, and it's been there for well over a year)

Whilst I will recieve about 65,000 bht per month in interest payments, about half of that amount is not derived from an account in my name, and thus cannot serve as documented income... therefore I have to go the lump sum route, rather than declared income. I fully intend to open a Thai bank account, but I had planned to use it for convenience and to have my monthly interest income paid into it so as to satisfy the local authorities that I wasn't working when I went to report every 90 days.

Thank you Maestro, for taking the trouble to try and help me... The web sites and the books seem to contradict eachother, or possibly I'm just not reading them correctly.. :o

Edited by Murgatroyd

Botheration.. I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself very well...

I want to obtain a full retirement visa so as to stay for a full year in Thailand without having to do border runs.

I had thought that the only way to accomplish this was to apply for a 1 year type O(Multiple entry) non- immigrant visa,(at Hull), and then to have it extended into a full 1 year retirement Visa, Type O/A by applying in Bangkok.

Whilst the Type O visa from Hull merely requires self certification of sufficient money to support and re-patriate yourself, The full retirement visa requires me to have either 800,000bht (not 8 million, I inadvertantly added an extra 0), or to show an income of 65,000bht per month.

My two questions are these:

1/ Can I apply for the full 1 year type O/A retirement visa at the Thai Embassy in London, (with a re-entry extension),and keep my money in my UK bank, earning interest ? If so, will I be able to extend that visa next year on the same basis without leaving Thailand?

2/ If I can't do that, then I have to get the type O (multiple entry) Visa in Hull, and then extend it into a full type O/A retirement visa in Bangkok. In this case, do I have to put 800,000bht (or about £13,000 GBP) into a Thai bank account, or will proof of having this amount of money in a UK bank account fulfill the financial requirement. (I can show proof that I have well over ten times that amount in my high interest UK bank account and my Legal and General investment bond, and it's been there for well over a year)

Whilst I will recieve about 65,000 bht per month in interest payments, about half of that amount is not derived from an account in my name, and thus cannot serve as documented income... therefore I have to go the lump sum route, rather than declared income. I fully intend to open a Thai bank account, but I had planned to use it for convenience and to have my monthly interest income paid into it so as to satisfy the local authorities that I wasn't working when I went to report every 90 days.

Thank you Maestro, for taking the trouble to try and help me... The web sites and the books seem to contradict eachother, or possibly I'm just not reading them correctly.. :o

1. Yes you can apply for the type O-A at the Embassy in London (with the equivalent of 800k baht in any bank in the world without having to move it). This will give you upon landing in Thailand a full year permit of stay stamp and will also get you a further one year stamp each time you re-enter Thailand WITHIN the validity of your original 1 year visa (giving you - if you re-enter near the end of the validity a further 11 months something -).

It has been reported that this type of visa is much more paper cmbersome to obtain and it includes a police clearance certificate, etc.

2. The Non-Im O 1 year multi entry visa you would obtain in Hull (but can also in London) is muhc easier on the paperwork (no police clearance certificate). It is also on the strngth of 800k baht in a bank account anywhere in the world.

This willgive you upon landing in Thailand a 90 days permit of stay. You then must either exit and re-enter Thailand before the end of the permit of stay (90 days) and withitn the validity of the original visa to obtain another 90 days oermit of stay OR you can apply for a ONE YEAR EXTENSION on the strength of EITHER 800k baht in a THAI bank account (which has to be in that account for more than 3 months) OR a verified income of 65k baht per month (this is doen via a letter from your Embassy) Tjis extension will allow you to stay for 1 year and can be maintinaed 'alaive' by buying re-entry eprmits when you want to exit Thailand within the validity of that 1 year extension. The one year extensions can be further extented for 1 year periods on the strenght of the same requited 800kin a Ta\hai bank or the 65k baht income

Good luck