Kawasaki Ninja 250

Chris78

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allan, I'm in Ban Chang (the same as Bard I believe).

Bard, I would love a go on your bike, I'll PM you my number, when you're around give me a call.

Going out to do some miles on the machine in a few minutes.

Cheers

Great, I'll call you when I get home.

After testing can do some beers and BBQ in my Sala (popular name in the neighborhood is Sala Khee Mao) anytime your more than welcome.

Hey Allan, there you go come down and chill in Rayong, you can crash in my house when I'm home just give me a bell and you're more than welcome down.

Cheers have fun, Bard

OK Latest and greatest from Powercommander.

They will install and test out the PC3USB for EU model on a Thai bike within a couple of weeks and dyno it here, as soon as they have confirmed what it does for the Thai bike they will keep me updated. I will post the response when it arrives in my mailbox, for anyone interested (besides me) they can install it in Thailand and map it specifically for your bike on a dyno for optimum performance on your specific bike.

Here is a link to PC3USB http://www.powercommander.com/powercommand...227&yr=2008

Plus a photo

Cheers Bard

post-60239-1226458012_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I've clocked up 300 screaming km's on the ninja so here's a few more thoughts.

The more I ride it the more I like it. The brakes are fantastic, and the gearbox is so slick you can change gear up the box with no clutch as quick as a formula one car. The stock tyres don't inspire absolute confidence, but perhaps that wooden feeling is a characteristic of that brand...........they will probably do almost everything you need but perhaps not as elegantly as a Bridgestone.

As far as the power, now I'm more used to how it comes, and can ride to avoid that mid-range hole that plagued me on the first ride. Basically this bike has to be thrashed constantly which is a new way of riding for me, as I am used to bigger bikes with loads of low down torque.

The ride quality is superb, and at maximum speed the bike still feels solid and well planted on the road, but the temperature gauge climbs closer to the red than I would like before the fan kicks in when stationary.

From not being overly impressed initially, the tables have turned completely with a few clicks under my belt.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

Bard, sorry if I sound stupid, what is the snorkel, and how do you pull-it???

Anyone know if the R9 full exhaust system can be purchased in Thailand, I've been in touch in Indonesia where they are made, the postage is the same as the product therefore double what it's worth.

I also notice the temp gauge has a big range, I was driving in the mountains the skies opened and 10 mins later the bike was running cold. Pull up at lights around the town every few mins and the needle is 80% in the zone before the fan kicks in, such a temp range cannot be good for the little engine surely?

Anyone know if the R9 full exhaust system can be purchased in Thailand, I've been in touch in Indonesia where they are made, the postage is the same as the product therefore double what it's worth.

Um, never heard of "R9"- is that an Indo brand? Have a link?

I looked up R9 and here's all I found:

R9 or R-9 may be:

:D:D:D:o:P:(:D:D

what is the snorkel, and how do you pull-it???

THE SNORKEL-PULLING FAQ

Q: Should I pull my snorkel?

A: Only you can decide if you should pull your snorkel, but a thorough

consideration of the legal, ethical and technical aspects is well advised

before you do so.

Q: Well, that was really unhelpful! Care to be a little less vague? How about

starting with the legal aspect?

A: Pulling your snorkel is legal in most states in America (hence the

oft-heard alternative term "yanking" your snorkel). Even where it isn't

actually legal, the chances of getting caught are minimal. Those who pull

their snorkels almost always do it in the privacy of their own home when no

one else is around. Later, when they're out in public, no one can tell they?re

pulled their snorkels (although some might guess from the silly grins recent

snorkel-pullers frequently wear). Pulling your snorkel in public is likely to

result in derision and puzzlement more than actual legal action (but see

ethical considerations below).

Snorkel-pulling is actually believed to be mandatory in some parts of

Australia.

Q: How about those ethical considerations, then?

A: Some people believe it is just wrong to pull your snorkel. They are of the

opinion that it is an unnatural act, detestable in its very nature; an affront

to God, decency and Honda. Others say that this first group consists of

prudish spoil-sports and that snorkel-pulling is acceptable if you take the

proper precautions. (We advocate only safe snorkel-pulling.)

Most prefer to pull their snorkel in private, out of modesty and for legal

reasons, and we cannot regard group snorkel-pulling as anything but deviant.

Q: And the technical stuff?

A: There's really nothing technical about it. No tools are necessary and no

special training is required. Most people find it comes quite naturally. Just

find your snorkel and pull it. (If you have difficulty finding your snorkel,

you're probably not ready for this level of hedonism. Best go back to debating

the merits of WD-40 vs. chain wax.)

Q: Hey, that mention of chains has got me excited! Are there any products

available to enhance the pleasure of snorkel-pulling?

A: As mentioned before, nothing special is required in order to pull your

snorkel (although lubricant may be helpful for some), but that doesn?t mean

you can't be creative. Dressing for the occasion (full leathers) is found to

enhance the pleasure of many snorkel-pullers and the truly adventurous

sometimes take photographs or make videotapes of it. Surprisingly enough,

there is not yet a web page devoted to the pleasures of snorkel-pulling, but

it's probably only a matter of time...

Q: Will pulling my snorkel make me go blind?

A: No. Snorkel-pulling has been conclusively shown to have no effect

whatsoever on eyesight. Some people find it does have a slight effect on their

hearing, but most of them report that they like what they hear.

Q: Are there any drawbacks to pulling my snorkel?

A: Aside from the sneers of those who disapprove of snorkel-pulling, there are

no serious disadvantages. There have been suggestions that it can result in a

loss of "mid-range" potency and some alarmists claim that it can cause serious

breathing difficulties, but those who have actually tried it report few side

effects.

Q: Is it OK to smoke afterwards?

A: It depends on what you want to smoke: Anthony Gobert is rumored to be an

snorkel-puller, and look what kind of trouble he's gotten himself into. On the

other hand, he frequently smokes the competition so it's not necessarily a bad

thing.

Many people report that snorkel-pulling is a good accompaniment to a nice

pipe.

Q: Is there any organization to help snorkel-pullers?

A: Sadly, there is no snorkel-pullers support group yet, but help is easily

obtained on the mailing list. Most list members are willing and able to

help out fellow owners whenever the need arises. In this tightly-knit

community of like-minded individuals, it's not uncommon for someone to ask a

complete stranger to "come over and help me pull my snorkel tonight". It is

this kind of selfless devotion and altruism that sets snorkel-pullers apart

from the crowd.

Well, there are a few other things that set tham apart, but that's probably

self-evident at this point.

:D:D:D:D:D:o:(

I also notice the temp gauge has a big range, I was driving in the mountains the skies opened and 10 mins later the bike was running cold. Pull up at lights around the town every few mins and the needle is 80% in the zone before the fan kicks in, such a temp range cannot be good for the little engine surely?

Pulling the snorkel is extremely simple, the snorkel is the tapered rubber hose looking thing attached to the air filter box it restricts the intake hole almost 20%, it is glued on with a never harden glue so all you do is to remove your side panel, unbolt the filter box side panel squeeze it out and bolt back on. Increases the opening for air for the inlet a bit. There is no risk of more dust or water ingress since it actually ends up more protected than via the snorkel. You will feel a bit better pull on midrange than before. Good free place to start, the picture how2 is posted on kwaiforums.com pretty helpful. Should you ever be displeased with the minor mod, just put it back again, no problem.

I have the same concern with the temp, the high temp is ok due to the fan, but when driving in rain it drops to cold which I do not like so I stop when it happens.

Cheers Bard

Bard dont forget that even on cold its still at an operating temp that is ok for modern engines if you were to stop and open your rad cap it isnt cold but just not optimum temp.

there really is no need to stop unless of course when you hold the water hoses it really IS cold then YES that it a desighn fault.

Same thing happens on my CBR just lately its running right at the bottom of the gauge, but engine still hot.

it might have more to do with where the sender for the guage is!

Allan

Yes I think you're right Allan, I think they put the sensor at the radiator and not at the engine block. I will check it out when I get home and check the pop valve is working properly. In that case I won't give it much more care, my worry has been obviously that the pop valve is not working, which is why I stopped. But pulling it and do a old fashion boil test should give me more comfort I hope.

Cheers Bard

I have the same concern with the temp, the high temp is ok due to the fan, but when driving in rain it drops to cold which I do not like so I stop when it happens.

Wouldn't worry about it, the indicator is still in the green region. The US version doesn't have the temp gauge anyway.

Might be interesting to find out the range of temperatures displayed in the "green" region. The thermostat opens around 65 degrees.

ninjaglad if ya have the money why dont you bring a few in because its not really the weight which is the problem but the volume so 3 sets probably would not be a whole lot different. then maybe organise a group buy on here. i would also get some of those swingarm camoflage huggers as well. if ya speak to Bram from Sportisi motorsport maybe become a dealer. thats how i would do it but ALAS no money :o

see the thread on kawiforums.com

Edited by thaicbr

All,

Finally got confirmed that the Bridgestone Battlax BT 090 will be in stock from end of November here in Thailand.

Price front 110/70-17 is 3,200,- Baht

Price Rear 140/70-17 is 4,400,- Baht

Delivery to your house is approximately 200 Baht

You can buy from Pure Tire Shop, Tel 02 222 3789

They have BT 045 in stock in the same sizes, this is a bias sport touring tire though and not a radial super sport. They would be far better than stock IRC though and probably suited for the average driver who is not an aggressive driver in curves.

Price front and rear is the same 2,900,- Baht

Cheers Bard

Bard. I'm glad you posted cos i was going to chase that up tmorro but you beat me to it lol.

and as you say if you are more of a sport tourer then the BT45 would be a better bet, better mileage etc but still decent grip. they report on the cbr site that when warm these are quite sticky tyres.

but not as good as the bt090 for quick warm up and very sticky tyres.

and Bard thanks for the invite to Rayong. i will certainly try and take you up on it.

Allan

All,

Finally got confirmed that the Bridgestone Battlax BT 090 will be in stock from end of November here in Thailand.

Price front 110/70-17 is 3,200,- Baht

Price Rear 140/70-17 is 4,400,- Baht

Delivery to your house is approximately 200 Baht

You can buy from Pure Tire Shop, Tel 02 222 3789

They have BT 045 in stock in the same sizes, this is a bias sport touring tire though and not a radial super sport. They would be far better than stock IRC though and probably suited for the average driver who is not an aggressive driver in curves.

Price front and rear is the same 2,900,- Baht

Cheers Bard

Hmm, almost makes me think that I should order some for when I arrive before the ride; would give me a couple of days to have them spooned on.

From trying out the stock tires a good bit I can only recommend to change them out, they are to hard and they are very slippery cold and still hot you can slide and lock the tires pretty easy. I recognize most people do not have my aggressive riding in curves, but if your in an unexpected situation and suddenly need all the grip you can have I am not confident in the stock tires. Attached pics of BT 090 and BT 045.

Also from the rim chart the 110 is good fit for front and 140 is the recommended size for rear rim on both tires.

Cheers Bard

post-60239-1226708168.gif

post-60239-1226708190.gif

Great, I'll call you when I get home.

After testing can do some beers and BBQ in my Sala (popular name in the neighborhood is Sala Khee Mao) anytime your more than welcome.

Hey Allan, there you go come down and chill in Rayong, you can crash in my house when I'm home just give me a bell and you're more than welcome down.

Cheers have fun, Bard

If your interested MP Motorcycles at Pattaya south road and third road junction has the Ninja in the showroom with a demonstration model available - both colours in stock with a list price of 144,000 baht

Bard cheers for the snorkel pulling stuff, sounds simple enough.

I will send another email to these guys in Indo. and see if they discount postage for 2+ systems.

Right now I'm having a hugger made in fibre-glass, will show pics if and when its fitted, only costing 1,000bt so nothing wasted if it doesn't work out.

Is anybody going to Chiang Mai bike weekend and fancy a meet-up

Had lot's of people asking me for a sound clip from the Area-P quiet core while driving, so I put together a vdo clip from my digital camera. The vdo is poor due to sunny mid day, and the sound is screwed up when the speed is up but it gives an idea.

The ghetto rig was shaky so please bear with me on that, I will try to make a better rig for it when I come home.

Cheers Bard

I have no idea what it does for the Thai Ninja 250 R yet, however DS will get a Powercommander for it within a couple of weeks and then I will try it on a dyno to check before and after. Best buy power wise for the Ninja is the Area-P full exhaust system (or similar) which increase the power approximately 28%.

Regarding powercommander, yes it does increase power quite a lot on the EU Ninja 250 R model, but nobody knows if and what it does for the Thai model since it is chipped differently according to Dynojet, the EU model is restricted so it is required to bypass the restriction in the ECU when you change the exhaust. The Thai model is currently unknown which is why they will test it out here, and my bike is the one they will test it out on. I will post the Dyno results before (including Area-P) and after on this forum.

Cheers Bard

Ok, finally got some 300 km on the Ninja 250 and decided to put my first impressions out there for y'all.

Firstly, the fairing is quite larger than the CBR 150R's. This makes the bike look much bigger than it actually is. Having said that, the rear looks rather tacked on. I'm not a big fan of sharp angles in design liking more organic lines. Your mileage may vary. Was very disappointed with the rear cover (was thrown in with the purchase; don't know why the wife didn't bring the rear seat) in that it doesn't latch securely at the rear. On the CBR 150R it has little 'lips' on the front that provides a solid engagement and on the Ninja it seems that if someone really wants your helmet they're going to get it simply by bending the cover up until it snaps. However, the two hooks for helmets keep them up away from the rear wheel; should save my new helmet from the tyre rash that my old helmet suffered when I had it in the same position on the CBR 150R. Can not yet comment on the rear pillion comfort, but it can't be any worst than the bird perch that the CBR offers.

Climbing on the bike it's evident that the seat is much broader. Will make the long runs more comfortable rather than the saddle of the CBR 150R. Bad point concerning the seat is the way it kicks up in the rear. That causes you to sit awfully close to the tank which could be counter-productive to reproductive designs you had in the future. However, the tank is much more vertical at the rear of it, which for whatever reason isn't as uncomfortable as the nut buster of the CBR 150R. But back to the seat; it didn't allow me to slide around as much to position myself for spirited riding as the 'lil CBR does.

Key in the ignition, and then I discover that you have to push and turn to get it out of the 'lock' position. This causes problems later when I park it since I have to try and get the forks turned to the proper position, push and turn the key. Actually wouldn't have been such a problem if there was more play in the area that the lock will engage the forks. The secondary lock that the CBR offers (little sliding plate that covers the real lock and you need the specially shaped key head to open) is obviously not there, but no big loss.

Firing it up is a bit of a let down. The CBR starts with nothing more than a slight blip of the the starter button. On the Ninja it takes a big old twist of the throttle. This happened no matter if the engine was warm or cold. It could be the gas that the wife put in, I only use Shell 95, so we'll see if that clears the issue up. Also, once again no matter if warm or not directly after starting, the engine will idle at 2000 RPM. Get under way and it will get down to just over 1000 RPM at stop signs, so it's probably the ECU that tells it, but as indicated otherwise I'll feed it some proper fuel and see what happens.

Gauges are set at a better angle for viewing than the CBR's; but having the tach that far to the left is a bit disconcerting. On the CBR the tach and the speedo are the same size and they're both just to the side of the centre line. Not having a fuel gauge is a bit of a let down, if the CBR 150R can include a fuel gauge and a temp gauge, why can't the Ninja? The blue colour looks nice when lit up though and the trip odometer would be helpful for determining mileage.

I go to click it into gear and the biggest problem raises its head; the left rearset. Seriously, for 140K THB, I expect better than that. First, both rear sets are two small. It's my understanding that Kawasaki has sold one to just about everyone in America, so just why are they Asian sized? Granted, I do have size 48 feet, but come on! Furthermore the pivot for the shifter is forward of the left rearset. Yup, exactly where the largest part of your foot should be, so you lose even more real estate. I swear that an autistic monkey who just snorted a banana sized like of coke could have designed a better set than that.

Gears are fairly well sorted out, but as mentioned by others before there's not that big of a difference between 5th and 6th. This prompts a hunt for a missing 7th. Changing the gearing via the sprockets will probably fix that but quick. Action is fairly smooth with just a hint of notchiness. The vaulted easy to find neutral wasn't so easy when on the roll, but slipped right in when stopped. Perhaps the transmission needs some more kilometers and it will be fine.

Getting underway required more throttle than I was expecting. Still it wasn't as much as the smaller 150 needed. This was evidenced throughout the trip. Greater torque resulted in just grabbing a big fist full of throttle and waiting whereas it would have needed dropping a gear on the CBR. A bit boring, but after a while I was dropping a gear just to stay in practice.

Prodigious engine braking, minimal driveline lash, and a ham fist on the clutch resulted in significant barking from the rear tyre under downshifts. Clutch pull is fairly light, but I haven't ridden a bike that I personally would call heavy, I'd say it is probably ¼ or so heavier than the CBR's (which if you can pull a brake on a bicycle, you can do it on the CBR).

Getting up to speed (80 km/h +) resulted in my discovering the nervousness of the Ninja. It has a good deal of shake on the front end, much worst than the CBR's. I don't exactly know the reason, but letting a bit of air out of the tyre solved some of it. Regardless of that unsettled feeling, it wasn't any quicker for lane changes, and combined with the added width, didn't inspire the same traffic carving confidence that the CBR gives you.

Brakes are much better than the CBR's. Don't know if that's due to the meatier tyres or just the fact that they're better. Fairly linear action, there was only one time I was able to chirp the rear (which on the CBR happens faster than you can say “Oh shit”). As mentioned earlier, the engine braking is quite a force, requiring you to actually pull in the clutch for those slow speed maneuvers rather be able to just use your brakes. Very little feed back from the brakes though, it seemed there was a bit of a disconnect between what was happening at the lever and what was happening at the wheel.

Wind protection is fair, although the front screen directs the current directly into my helmet's chin bar. On the CBR's much smaller one, it hit my chest. End result on the Ninja is that I had to drop my face shield at a much lower speed, and even with it down there was significantly more wind noise. Getting down solved that, but with the much taller tank I don't know how comfortable that would be over the long term.

So in summation, a good touring bike. Not as well suited for city use. Will out perform a CBR 150R on the freeway, but will quickly lose ground inside a city. A bit boring for the type of riding I like, since there so much torque you aren't forced to constantly be adjusting yourself and your gear to get the most performance.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to LOS, and congrats with the new bike...

Sounds strange I never need to twist to start and the rev on idle is 1k never 2k, I only use the recommended 91 gasoline and have never had any problems as you describe.

I will order 15 front sprocket are you in on one as well?

Cheers Bard

Hi Dave,

Welcome to LOS, and congrats with the new bike...

Sounds strange I never need to twist to start and the rev on idle is 1k never 2k, I only use the recommended 91 gasoline and have never had any problems as you describe.

I will order 15 front sprocket are you in on one as well?

Cheers Bard

You have no idea how nice it is to wake up and not have to hack out a lung to get going in the morning.

I'm assuming that it's the petrol as well. Guess we'll see. And like I said, it's only idling at the high speed right after starting.

I'm in for the 15 tooth; if I run into you before I roll out it will be cash in hand for a group buy....

I'll be home the 24th so if you're back in Bangkok area before I roll out again the 5th of December I can come and meet you, have some ideas as well.

Give me a call when I'm back and we can meet up somehow.

Cheers Bard

Hi Dave,

Congrats on the new bike!

Mine has always fired up with a touch of the starter and no twist of the throttle. I've only used 91 gasoline and it's been starting and running smoothly for these first 45xx km. I really don't think you'll get any advantage using 95 as the engine is designed for 91, but I'll be curious to see if you notice any difference.

My Ninja 250R idles high for about 30-60 seconds after cold start-up. Just like when you start a carburated bike with a choke. I assumed with the Fuel Injected Ninja that this is some sort of electronic choke and didn't give it much thought. Once warm it starts at normal idle.

I've got little feet so never noticed a problem with the rearsets... :o If it's a problem I imagine someone has already designed an aftermarket fix for it though.

Alright- I'd better sign off and get to bed! A LONG ride tomorrow :D

Bard and Dave,

I'm planning to return from Chiang Mai to the Big Mango on Tuesday the 25th.

Friday and Saturday is the Bangsaen Bike Rally which sounds like a big one and should be a lot of fun.

BangseanBikeWeekPoster.jpg

Interested in checking that out? I'm going for sure.

Hope to see you there!

Happy Trails :o