Kawasaki Ninja 250

Chris78

Cheers Bard,

I hear U-tapao is a real nice place to fly out of- NOT! But then I imagine you've seen far worse. :o

Intersting comment/observation/question- I brought the Ninjette in to Kawasaki Rama 9 today to do the 6000km service even though I'm already up to nearly 8000km on the odometer. (It's ok because I did an early oil and filter change just before the trip to Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago when I was at about 4800km).

But anyway- after I got the bike back today and looked over the paperwork I noticed that they changed the oil but not the filter...

That seemed strange, I've always changed both at the same time, but the techs at Kawasaki insisted that this was normal and that the filter did not need to be changed until the next service at 12,000km.

Ah well- the bike's under warranty and I'm riding it hard, so if it breaks I guess I'll get a new engine. It was late and I wanted to get home so I didn't push too hard.

What do you think? Ever heard of changing the oil and not the filter? Think it matters much?

It should be ok. I have done it loads of times on my bike. Mainly due to the fact it is a bugger to get off and I hate having oil on my exhaust pipes caused by the run off of oil when you unscrew the filter.

If it makes you feel better I will be changing the oil and leaving the filter alone on my bike today. Have to get it ready for the long ride north.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are gonna skip alternately, I'd still have 'em take the filter off and flush through, it is a good idea to change oil more frequent. Oil is so cheap here you can afford to replace every 2-3k, but not necessarily the filter. I know the bikes are under warranty, but the engines will probably all see out the warranty period, it's how much mileage they can clock up in their life-time that matters, so more regular changes will help this.

The way I always understood it, the large amount of dirty oil trapped in the filter will instantly contaminate the new oil.

The way I always understood it, the large amount of dirty oil trapped in the filter will instantly contaminate the new oil.

Yes- that is what I was brought up to believe too, but oh well, I've been changing the oil every 3000km or so and the last oil and filter change was at about 4500km and I'm at about 8000km on the odo with new oil and old filter. The techs at Kawasaki told me yesterday that I'd be fine till 12,000km, but I don't think they realize how hard I'm riding this fun little bike.

I'll just get another service when I get back from Chiang Mai- I should be pushing 11,000km by then anyway :o

See you at the bike week?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi Simon,

Did you order it with the bung for the O2 sensor? If not you need to weld it in, in that case I know of a place they do really good work which cost me 150 Baht. Just go to Roum Charoen in Ban Chang, Rayong they did a great job welding in a new bung for me.

To fit it is very easy and I recommend you to do it yourself since it's hard to find a shop who actually use a torch wrench, if you can wait I can help you since I fitted my own. I will be home the 28th but will go to Kho Chang until the 3rd then I can help you do it the right way if you want, and no I won't ask for money just a couple of beers :o PM me when you decide what you want to do.

Cheers Bard

Hi Chaps.

I'm the proud owner of a new Ninjette and have just ordered an Area P exhaust.

Can any of you guys recommend a place in Pattaya that could fit this for me.

Cheers,

Simon

Well Bard,

If the stalemate continues at the airports perhaps you'll get to enjoy an extended holiday, eh? :o

Seriously- if the airport is still closed on the 5th you should think about cruising up with us. Only a 7 hour ride (well, perhaps 8 or 9 for you coming from Rayong...) Even if/when the mobs disperse it will take at least 48/72 hours before the airport can become operational again.

It would be great if you could join us for the CM Bike Week, but if you can't I'm sure we'll catch up with you soon!

Happy Trails!

Tony and Nong

Well Singapore airlines called me and told me I will fly as normal from BKK actually at 19:05 so if you read this Dave and if your in the airport then give me a bell and we can meet up there.

I would really love to join in Tony it would be great, could meet up with GTR in CM as well which I really would like to do since I read the book and all.

Don't hold back buddy you and the guys have a load of fun up there, did you check out Royal Lanna hotel, I have a discounted price there for 700 Baht a night, it's right next to the Night Bazaar.

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard,

I hear U-tapao is a real nice place to fly out of- NOT! But then I imagine you've seen far worse. :o

Intersting comment/observation/question- I brought the Ninjette in to Kawasaki Rama 9 today to do the 6000km service even though I'm already up to nearly 8000km on the odometer. (It's ok because I did an early oil and filter change just before the trip to Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago when I was at about 4800km).

But anyway- after I got the bike back today and looked over the paperwork I noticed that they changed the oil but not the filter...

That seemed strange, I've always changed both at the same time, but the techs at Kawasaki insisted that this was normal and that the filter did not need to be changed until the next service at 12,000km.

Ah well- the bike's under warranty and I'm riding it hard, so if it breaks I guess I'll get a new engine. It was late and I wanted to get home so I didn't push too hard.

What do you think? Ever heard of changing the oil and not the filter? Think it matters much?

Did you get the service manual for Kawasaki Ninja 250R? If you don't have it let me know. In there they claim it's OK but being me and a total mech freak I would change it myself if they didn't. Like others have stated the filter holds crap inside so it will contaminate the new oil, I would never change oil and no filter no matter what the price for the filter is miniscule anyway so I would just tell them to do it, like Nike just do it "I will pay". Same happened when I told them to change to my type of oil before I started the bike plus filter, then after 35 km I came back and changed again to everyones shock. Since I use the moto GP way to break in bikes that is what I do, and as long as I pay they do what I tell them. When they say it is OK I say NO not for me, and I will pay to get it done, they do it. If not buy a filter it's like 180 Baht and change it yourself it's extremely simple to do.

Hope that helped

Cheers Bard

Hi Simon,

Did you order it with the bung for the O2 sensor? If not you need to weld it in, in that case I know of a place they do really good work which cost me 150 Baht. Just go to Roum Charoen in Ban Chang, Rayong they did a great job welding in a new bung for me.

To fit it is very easy and I recommend you to do it yourself since it's hard to find a shop who actually use a torch wrench, if you can wait I can help you since I fitted my own. I will be home the 28th but will go to Kho Chang until the 3rd then I can help you do it the right way if you want, and no I won't ask for money just a couple of beers :o PM me when you decide what you want to do.

Cheers Bard

Hi Chaps.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Bard.

I really don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. So, I will take you up on your offer of a beer in reward for helping me out. I have also ordered the targo rear fender elimination kit, so it looks like I may have to shout you a few more beers to assist on that also. BTW, I'm resident in sleepy Bangsare, not too far from Rayong. I look forward to hookin' up with you when you're back and refreshed, after the 28th. I really appreciate the help! BTW, was wondering if you'd received your DynoJet Power Commander and if you'd had chance to run it on the dyno.

All the best, Simon

Edited by tuktukracer

The oil filter costs 150 Baht from Kawasaki. 1.7 litres of oil cost maybe 200 Baht max, so a total of 350 Baht for a complete oil/filter change.

I can not see any reason not to change the filter at every service except for idleness "oh, I have to undo another bolt". The bike costs 150,000 Baht. Unbelievable to not consider changing the filter.

And to "Travelmate" removing the oil filter does not cause a single drop of oil to land on the exhaust unless the bike is lying on its side, and is also not difficult. The oil filter is located on the Ninja directly underneath the engine and, unless you are EXTREMELY sloppy, there is NO chance of any oil running onto the exhaust. Maybe you don't have a Ninja 250?

A few Q's to "Tuktukracer"

- How much was the Area P

- Any import problems?

- Did it deliver the massive increase in performance they advertise?

The oil filter costs 150 Baht from Kawasaki. 1.7 litres of oil cost maybe 200 Baht max, so a total of 350 Baht for a complete oil/filter change.

I can not see any reason not to change the filter at every service except for idleness "oh, I have to undo another bolt". The bike costs 150,000 Baht. Unbelievable to not consider changing the filter.

And to "Travelmate" removing the oil filter does not cause a single drop of oil to land on the exhaust unless the bike is lying on its side, and is also not difficult. The oil filter is located on the Ninja directly underneath the engine and, unless you are EXTREMELY sloppy, there is NO chance of any oil running onto the exhaust. Maybe you don't have a Ninja 250?

- Any import problems?

Hi Chaps.

The Area P was 562.50 USD direct from the manufacturer.

This included a free hanger bracket and reduction in shipping.

I will let you know of any import taxes and performance benefits after I've set this bad-boy up.

Cheers,

Si

- Any import problems?

OK since I am the only one with an Area-P installed on this forum for the moment let me answer those questions;

- I payed 525 US$ for mine (Quiet core Carbon Fibre)

- No, but you have to tell them do devalue it to 250 US$ on the proforma invoice so you don't pay more than 1000 baht in duty

- Yes it did, it really did I cruise with my wife in the back total 140 kg load in 140 km/h with a twist it really jumps with her on the back to around 160 which is a big improvement with that load. The 0 - 100 km/h is lot faster and you can really feel it, the bike does not feel like the same to be honest.

The 180 baht for the filter is included a mechanic to do it for you, total with the original oil is 380 Baht in MP Pattaya.

Cheers Bard

I doubt very much that travelmate is sloppy... :o He doesn't ride a 250R. Travelmate rides a Ninja ZX10. The oil filter is above the pipes and short of wrapping your pipes in rags or plastic before removing the filter there's really no way to avoid getting oil on them when you change the filter. No big deal really as the oil burns off in minutes...

Doea anyone know a good welding/exhaust/muffler shop that can help me chop my stock exhaust and make a glass pack "shorty" like this?

shortie_exhaust.jpg

Looks like the stock exhaust, but actually it's been cut open, the can shortened nearly in half, the baffles removed, and repacked with fiberglass wrapped perforated steel:

shotieExhaust006.jpg

Cost for materials is next to nothing and labor here in the LOS shouldn't be too much. I just need to find a trustworthy shop that can get it done without destroying the can. I've listened to some of these 'homemade' shorty cans on youtube and I like them a lot. The stock exhaust is far too restricted and quiet.

Thanks in advance for any references you can provide :o

Hi Simon,

To fit it is very easy and I recommend you to do it yourself since it's hard to find a shop who actually use a torch wrench, if you can wait I can help you since I fitted my own. I will be home the 28th but will go to Kho Chang until the 3rd then I can help you do it the right way if you want, and no I won't ask for money just a couple of beers :D PM me when you decide what you want to do.

Cheers Bard

Hi Chaps.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Bard.

I really don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. So, I will take you up on your offer of a beer in reward for helping me out. I have also ordered the targo rear fender elimination kit, so it looks like I may have to shout you a few more beers to assist on that also. BTW, I'm resident in sleepy Bangsare, not too far from Rayong. I look forward to hookin' up with you when you're back and refreshed, after the 28th. I really appreciate the help! BTW, was wondering if you'd received your DynoJet Power Commander and if you'd had chance to run it on the dyno.

All the best, Simon

Hi Simon,

Cheers no problem mate, done both and to be honest the most hard one is actually the Targa, no prob I will help you out the Targa is a beauty and you won't believe the sound and power from the Area-P it is really great.

Unfortunately due to PAD the dynojet guy have yet to arrive with the Power Commander, but we can do a test of both of our bikes when I get home for free with and without the Power Commander on a dyno, I just called Ek and he is cool with it.

And yes absolutely let's meet up when I get back home I found some really cool trips in the area, and since your so close you should join Rayong Riders they are a pretty good group of mixed bikes doing trips in the area, and they have a beerfilled clubhouse :o I will PM you my mobile so you can call me when I'm home.

Enjoy, Cheers Bard

Doea anyone know a good welding/exhaust/muffler shop that can help me chop my stock exhaust and make a glass pack "shorty" like this?

shortie_exhaust.jpg

Looks like the stock exhaust, but actually it's been cut open, the can shortened nearly in half, the baffles removed, and repacked with fiberglass wrapped perforated steel:

shotieExhaust006.jpg

Cost for materials is next to nothing and labor here in the LOS shouldn't be too much. I just need to find a trustworthy shop that can get it done without destroying the can. I've listened to some of these 'homemade' shorty cans on youtube and I like them a lot. The stock exhaust is far too restricted and quiet.

Thanks in advance for any references you can provide :o

Yes Tony,

Come by when I'm back and we'll do it with Roam Charoen, they are really good welders and have a pro mechanical shop with all gear in stock to do it for you. Best part is they're also cheap, bring along your family stay over and they can enjoy the pool when we do that and also ehh this hehe Trent can explain.

Cheers Bard

Hi Simon,

To fit it is very easy and I recommend you to do it yourself since it's hard to find a shop who actually use a torch wrench, if you can wait I can help you since I fitted my own. I will be home the 28th but will go to Kho Chang until the 3rd then I can help you do it the right way if you want, and no I won't ask for money just a couple of beers :D PM me when you decide what you want to do.

Cheers Bard

Hi Chaps.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Bard.

All the best, Simon

Hi Simon,

Cheers no problem mate, done both and to be honest the most hard one is actually the Targa, no prob I will help you out the Targa is a beauty and you won't believe the sound and power from the Area-P it is really great.

Unfortunately due to PAD the dynojet guy have yet to arrive with the Power Commander, but we can do a test of both of our bikes when I get home for free with and without the Power Commander on a dyno, I just called Ek and he is cool with it.

And yes absolutely let's meet up when I get back home I found some really cool trips in the area, and since your so close you should join Rayong Riders they are a pretty good group of mixed bikes doing trips in the area, and they have a beerfilled clubhouse :o I will PM you my mobile so you can call me when I'm home.

Enjoy, Cheers Bard

Really glad I found this thread. Many thanks for you offers of help Bard. I will buzz you when you're back.

Ok, I've decided that on my next visit my 'lil Ninja is going to get some more love.

Firstly it's going to get a new rearset. Was thinking about the Woodcraft set. Uses the stock levers (which are kinda small), but will move my feet up an inch and back two. Should help me (all the Iron Butt riders know what I'm talking about).

050130350.jpg

Pre-shipping and import cost 7 500 THB.

Galfer brake lines (part number FK003D674 front and FK003D674R reara) should help the feel and stop that disconcerting bulging that the stockers have. Available from Cyclebrakes. I may also go with their discs....

AreaP's quiet core looks to be the best bet for a new exhuast.

Biggest problem I'm going to have is justifing sinking all this money into the bike. Granted I'm going to need to get it resprayed, and the MotoGP looks really, really nice, but do I need to drop the money on the rest? The rearset definitely! The rest, probably not but I'm a bit impulsive so probably.

MotoGP%20Kawasaki%20ZXRR1.jpg

Hi Chaps.

Anybody noticed a clicking noise which seems to come from the instrument panel?

It's driving me bonkers. Happens whilst engine running whilst both moving and stationary.

Been searching on the net and all i can come up with so far is that perhaps the tachometer/speedo cable needs lubing?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers! Simon

If it happens without moving rules out the speedo no ??

Would check the tach first, does it change speed of clicking ??

Yeh, fair point about it prolly not being the speedo, seeing as it also happens when not moving. But I have to say, it's more prevelent when moving along.

Nope, the speed of the clicking doesn't change according to speed.

Hi Chaps.

Anybody noticed a clicking noise which seems to come from the instrument panel?

It's driving me bonkers. Happens whilst engine running whilst both moving and stationary.

Is this a regular click? What frequency?

Or is it a sporadic click? When does it happen?

One possibility is a relay/electrically operated valve operating according to throttle demand.

There is a throttle relay that clicks on and off when you twist the throttle open and closed.

But I'm guessing this is not the sound that you are trying to describe...

If the sound is very obvious why don't you take your bike in to the Rama 9 service shop where they have some very experienced mechanics who can probably diagnose and correct any problems.

Good luck and Happy Trails!

Cool Allan- but what are you doing with Ninja sprockets?! :o Personally I'm pretty happy the way it's geared stock, but I know there are some folks out there like Bard who have expressed interest in re-gearing for a higher top end. 170km/hr on a 250cc bike is fast enough for me! :D

Hi guys and gals. I have the JT 15tooth front sprockets instock for the Ninja 250 @ 300baht plus ems postage.

Pm me if interested, only a few in stock at the moment.

Allan

Mark me down; I'd be willing to pay now, just pm me the info or I can take my chances on you having them in stock come mid-February when I can swing by on the way up from BKK to Nakhon Sawan.

Because I'm looking fot and I still don't find one so if somebody could help me. I do want like a stock not an universal.

Did you pull the snorkel yet? That's the easiest thing you can do to improve airflow and boost power. Beyond that, messing with the airbox and air filter on a fuel injected bike is more likely to hurt than help performance.

Because I'm looking fot and I still don't find one so if somebody could help me. I do want like a stock not an universal.

Did you pull the snorkel yet? That's the easiest thing you can do to improve airflow and boost power. Beyond that, messing with the airbox and air filter on a fuel injected bike is more likely to hurt than help performance.

Not yet but before doing that I'd have liked to find a better filter but I though to pull the snorkel. May be I will put a KN cone filter instead of the stock. Because in april I will have a yoshimura full exhaust and a power commander so I'd like to have a better filter than the original to have good performance with the power commander.