Dual Pricing

kiakaha

It is indeed food for thought.

I have no objection to the National Park etc dual pricing having not paid one tiny bit in Thai tax. Got to be said though, the TW gets us past them claiming to know the Park Director!! Still not sure about this, I just get the big smile and wink if I ask why we paid nothing :o

But when it trancends down to Thai society in general, I had one person selling furniture proclaim "I do do not sell 2 price" like a badge of honour, it gets a bit rotten and pervasive.

NZ is no comparison??

Nothing at all wrong with dual pricing. I do it all the time. Whenever I've priced a used car to sell I will sell it one price to a stranger, one price to a friend of a friend, one price to a friend, and heck, I've even given 'em away to some friends.

Limited systems of dual pricing are common in many places, whether they are listed as a "discount" for some and regular price for others, or free for residents, but charges for others. I think the basic problem is that it is endemic in Thailand. When I have been to the Grand Palace, I have to pay, locals don't pay at all. This is fair as it is apart of their cultural heritage--I, on the other hand, am just a curious onlooker.

The other thing that is a problem is that even if you are a 'resident', have a long-term visa, work permit etc. You still pay double (most of the time).

The final thing is that, I am sorry for dual pricing for food (a menu written in English sometimes lists higher prices than the Thai menu), haircuts, etc. etc. A little over the top I think.

Nothing at all wrong with dual pricing. I do it all the time. Whenever I've priced a used car to sell I will sell it one price to a stranger, one price to a friend of a friend, one price to a friend, and heck, I've even given 'em away to some friends.

If it is a beautiful woman, I give it to her free with a key to my house in it.

Anyway, I do feel for those who actually have to suffer due to dual pricing if they really are not rich.

Let's be friends :o

Are Australians allowed to visit this New Zealand landmark for free because when the gatekeeper sees them and if they happen to be white, he assumes they are a New Zealander?

If so, then this New Zealand story might have some comparability to Thailand.

Maori are allowed to fish for trout free in Lake Taupo; whities and others have to hold a license which is something like $15 a day.

If you look Maori, then you won't be likely to be asked; if you look white/Asian/not Maori, then you will be asked; failure to carry it and you go to jail or pay a massive fine.

So....er, yeah, pretty much the same as here.

BTW I know non ethnic naturalised Thais that would have no problem getting in e.g. the Heinekes; same as a naturalised Kiwi can presumably get into the Witangi house. but if you aren't claiming Maori blood (and no one is quite sure what % these days constitutes Maori vs. non Maori I expect) then get out your cheque book for trout fishing and a whole manner of access to other parks and things around the place in NZ.

Of course being that the average Thai is so rich and the average whinging foreigner is so poor, I totally understand the angst some have in having to pay the equivalent of like $10 to go to some place to have a look around.

Are Australians allowed to visit this New Zealand landmark for free because when the gatekeeper sees them and if they happen to be white, he assumes they are a New Zealander?

Maori are allowed to fish for trout free in Lake Taupo; whities and others have to hold a license which is something like $15 a day.

If you look Maori, then you won't be likely to be asked; if you look white/Asian/not Maori, then you will be asked; failure to carry it and you go to jail or pay a massive fine.

BTW I know non ethnic naturalised Thais that would have no problem getting in e.g. the Heinekes; same as a naturalised Kiwi can presumably get into the Witangi house. but if you aren't claiming Maori blood (and no one is quite sure what % these days constitutes Maori vs. non Maori I expect) then get out your cheque book for trout fishing and a whole manner of access to other parks and things around the place in NZ.

< irrelevant material snipped >

I don't see this as a compatible situation to Thailand in that what I mentioned was people of another nationality being admitted at the same fee as a host national. The reference to indigenous people, who are also citizens of the nation in question, doesn't correlate with that situation (btw, extending extra benefits to indigenous people not available to citizens of the same nationality is also commonly practiced in the USA with Native Americans).

In other words, the scenario as I initially described is that of a lax gatekeeper who would admit anyone in that was white under his presumed assumption that they were New Zealand nationals. To extend the scenario to include Maori's, if this same gatekeeper would allow in Chamorros from Guam and treat them as New Zealand citizens by allowing them in for free, because they vaguely resemble Maoris, then we would have a parallel with Thailand.

As this isn't really a parallel to Thailand and seems to be solely a New Zealand-related article and topic, perhaps its not all that well-suited for Thaivisa... but it did provide food for thought, if even for a very brief moment.

Edited by sriracha john

Some Americans pay 35% of their income in tax, others pay 20%, others 10% and others pay nothing and receive government aide.

If Aliens invade, those who paid 35% have not received any sort of identification as of yet, so that the government knows to save them first. Everyone has the same rights.

So let me ask, what is the difference between taxing rich people at a higher rate and charging farang more for certain services?

Limited systems of dual pricing are common in many places, whether they are listed as a "discount" for some and regular price for others, or free for residents, but charges for others. I think the basic problem is that it is endemic in Thailand. When I have been to the Grand Palace, I have to pay, locals don't pay at all. This is fair as it is apart of their cultural heritage--I, on the other hand, am just a curious onlooker.

Yup, never have problem with this......it's the way it should be.

The other thing that is a problem is that even if you are a 'resident', have a long-term visa, work permit etc. You still pay double (most of the time).

Probably should be getting a discount at 1/2 price in my mind!

The final thing is that, I am sorry for dual pricing for food (a menu written in English sometimes lists higher prices than the Thai menu), haircuts, etc. etc. A little over the top I think.

Yikes! Isn't hair all the same....just cutting it, not inventing it! One price should fit all! :o

Of course being that the average Thai is so rich and the average whinging foreigner is so poor, I totally understand the angst some have in having to pay the equivalent of like $10 to go to some place to have a look around.

Now I will just stick my tongue out if I want things to be free in NZ. :o

"A little over the top..."

I should hope so, unless we're talking about haircuts of a different nature.... :o

Big Paulee.

...When I have been to the Grand Palace, I have to pay, locals don't pay at all. This is fair as it is apart of their cultural heritage--I, on the other hand, am just a curious onlooker.

Most people don’t even realize that Thais can go into the Grand Palace 30 minutes earlier in the morning then foreigners in order to give the Thais a chance to make merit before all the tourist show up...

TH