I Want To Witness Son's Birth

Tony Clifton

What an experience!

So excited when we left home yesterday that I forgot to put on my upper dentures and left them at home. :o

We had to drive 30 minutes back, no way I was going to have pictures taken with missing teeth!

C-section was easy according to Pen, she was scared a bit before they wheeled her in. I couldn't hold the cam with all the crying and shaking, had to use a tripod, i was looking through the operating rooms door window, was ok.

He's under observation since yesterday, water retention on the lungs and maybe a slight infection making him breathe faster than normal. He's in an incubator getting some oxygen and will apparently remain there until tomorrow morning until culture results are back, just in case. He has nice colors and moves and cries a lot, doesn't look seriously sick at all or in pain. Mom is sad that she only got to see him for a few seconds after the operation. she just got up now for the first time and is planning on the two of us visiting the little man in an hour or so, that's a bit sad. I go down there whenever I want, walk in, pick a gown and go talk to him. iwas lucky to hold him when he was a few minutes old and held his hand yesterday in the incubator.

post-16522-1200122299_thumb.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mom is slowly recovering without tubes today but the scar is painful.

Little Albert seems all right, still waiting for results of the culture analysis. Hands and feet are no longer blue, I guess the extra oxygen did help a lot. 5 babies down there and he s the bigest at 3.6kg, the smallest weighed 1200 grams...In-laws came over as well as university friends but couldn't get to see him, they'll be back tomorrow as they're camping at our house nearby. I like it here, nice room, my own bed, a desk, kitchen and table, free hi speed internet, mom, dad and friends in Europe and Canada can get live broadcasts via webcam, the place doesn't wear you down. The new docs seem honest and not pushy. The nurses are great, let me rephrase that, they're doing a fine job. :o

Congratulations tony & hope the wife recovers quickly. Most babies hands & feet are blue for several hours after birth so don't worry about that. My son was in special care for his first 2 days & the same weight as yours & I always thought some other mums with premature babies were gonna call me a fake as he looked like a giant next to these tiny sick babies. Made the separation less worisome when I thought of these other mums, some of them unable to even hold their babies cause they were so small & hooked up to so many machines that moving them might kill them. Your little man will be with you both soon & you & your wife can hold him as much as you can. I still can't stop cuddling & squeezing my boy & he still gets hundreds of kisses every day & he has just turned 8 months. :o

Enjoy, every day wil be amazing from now on.

3.5 kilo?

all of mine were born under 3 kilo (2.200 was the smallest of the three) but none were incubated as they were all developed....and one was born with small head circumference , and now they all are taller and heavier then me....

congrats...

bina

Congratulations tony & hope the wife recovers quickly. Most babies hands & feet are blue for several hours after birth so don't worry about that. My son was in special care for his first 2 days & the same weight as yours & I always thought some other mums with premature babies were gonna call me a fake as he looked like a giant next to these tiny sick babies. Made the separation less worisome when I thought of these other mums, some of them unable to even hold their babies cause they were so small & hooked up to so many machines that moving them might kill them. Your little man will be with you both soon & you & your wife can hold him as much as you can. I still can't stop cuddling & squeezing my boy & he still gets hundreds of kisses every day & he has just turned 8 months. :o

Enjoy, every day wil be amazing from now on.

Until, at the age of 17, he come's staggering into the house at 2AM, reeking of cheap booze and vomit and slurring his words, apologizes for wrecking the family car....

but then again, I'm getting ahead of myself... you got lots of time until that happens, Tony...

certainly for now... enjoy, every day will be amazing from now on...

He's doing so much better today. That's what I was telling my wife, look, he weighs more than any other baby in here and doesn't constantly cry in pain, is alert, curious Albert looks everywhere and is happily agitated . He's fine, he just needs time to fight this and it now looks as if he will be able to leave along with mom and I tomorrow on her last day of recovery here as planned. Wife thinks he swallowed some fluid at birth which caused a slight infection of some kind, maybe stomach or intestinal tract, we'll know from the culture results tomorrow.

Relatives abroad watched 2 X 1 hour movies of us playing on big-sized tv in our hospital room, which were transmitted via webcam on a hi speed LAN connection. Amazing to be able to do this in a hospital room. :o

could it be Meconium? Which is the first poo, made up of all the stuff the baby ingests during gestation, It can be quite dangerous if undetected but perfectly treatable if caught straight away, which it sounds like it was. Sounds like he is fighting fit anyway now & hopefully you can take him home tomorrow.

could it be Meconium? Which is the first poo, made up of all the stuff the baby ingests during gestation, It can be quite dangerous if undetected but perfectly treatable if caught straight away, which it sounds like it was. Sounds like he is fighting fit anyway now & hopefully you can take him home tomorrow.

Yes! That's exactly what my wife mentioned yesterday.

Poor little guy.

I just can't wait when I wake up, my first thought is to go visit the mini-man downstairs.

The staff on our floor and at the nursery are very caring and doing a fine job.

It's either Chonburi's govt. hospital or Aikochol (Aykahchon).

The doc is head of department at the govt. hospital.

Just talked about it with my wife again. She thinks he only denied making a movie.:o Never said I wanted to make a movie of the labor, I want to take a few quick pics of him seconds after he's born using a digital video camera.

We're seeing him again on Thursday, let's see what he says this time.

that would raise alarm bells in itself

I was allowed to film at Samitivej. Shaked so much I had to use a tripod, so nervous I somehow rewinded at some point and erased the actual birth. :o

No problem, just ask your wife if she wouldn't mind going back and repeat the birthing process. I often do the same with landscape photos...

Meconium aspiration is more likely in a vaginal birth and even then it's very rare. More likely it's fluid in the lungs, which is common with C-section babies... no vaginal squeezing during the birth to get the fluid out.

Is your wife breastfeeding? Have they helped her with that?

What kind of freebies is the hospital giving you when you leave as in samples? I'm always curious to see what hospitals are really advertising!

Anyway, congrats, and all to you and your wife!

The little man was born on Friday, stayed there until Tuesday afternoon, came home for 3 days but was kept there again after today's appointment because of recurring jaundice :o He has to stay there for 3 days, until at least Sunday for round the clock U.V. light treatment. They tested his blood and it measured 20 something and dangerous level is 25 for jaundice. His eyes had become more yellow since last night and pressing his reddish skin would leave a yellow trail. Wife was apparently feeding him too much breast milk, apparently cow milk would have made him pee and poo more of that yellowish stuff that causes the jaundice.

The house feels so empty without Mini-Man...

Meconium aspiration is more likely in a vaginal birth and even then it's very rare. More likely it's fluid in the lungs, which is common with C-section babies... no vaginal squeezing during the birth to get the fluid out.

Is your wife breastfeeding? Have they helped her with that?

What kind of freebies is the hospital giving you when you leave as in samples? I'm always curious to see what hospitals are really advertising!

Anyway, congrats, and all to you and your wife!

Freebies consisted mostly of free formula, very little, 1 huggie diaper, 1 Mamy Poko diaper, a purse size bottle or Dettol, purse size of Johnson's baby powder, some picture cards for eye development, more mini cards with animals on them, a few help books with yet again English titles but containing Thai only :o. We ended up with 6 mini tote-bags of stuff containing nothing but mostly fliers.

I had taped over the actual birth being so nervous that day, the hospital gave us a cd yesterday with montage of pics and video showing the birth.

• 3 months later...

Here`s an update with a pic of the best thing to have ever happened my entire life, screw the lottery!

Not the best of pics but I chose it for the smile, just like the one I see every morning when he wakes up.

He`s very healthy and quicker than the same kids his age around here, probably the benefit of spending entire days with mom and dad at home since they don`t have to work.

post-16522-1211139446_thumb.jpg

And a little Photoshop job. :o

post-16522-1211139623_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
We've asked the doc if it was ok for me to be there when our son is born in 2 or 3 weeks from now. The doc said no and went on joking I'd be too heavy for small nurses to pick up if I was to faint. :o Another hospital has also refused...

He's asked her 4 or 5 times by now if she wants a natural delivery or cesarean, natural is her choice every time.

Is it me or he may want to lighten up his schedule and proceed with a cesarean anyway?

I witnessed my aunt giving birth in a Canadian hospital some 30 years ago, it's not accepted here or what?

We're willing to change hospital AND doctor, smooth pregnancy with no complications whatsoever so far.

Get another Dr now!

He who pays the piper calls the tune

good luck

• 1 month later...
We've asked the doc if it was ok for me to be there when our son is born in 2 or 3 weeks from now. The doc said no and went on joking I'd be too heavy for small nurses to pick up if I was to faint. :o Another hospital has also refused...

He's asked her 4 or 5 times by now if she wants a natural delivery or cesarean, natural is her choice every time.

Is it me or he may want to lighten up his schedule and proceed with a cesarean anyway?

I witnessed my aunt giving birth in a Canadian hospital some 30 years ago, it's not accepted here or what?

We're willing to change hospital AND doctor, smooth pregnancy with no complications whatsoever so far.

Get another Dr now!

He who pays the piper calls the tune

good luck

:D He was born 6 months ago. :D